Rippled Mirage: Chapter 41
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lilia woke up, and pain overwhelmed her.

She screamed, but her screams turned into a gurgle. Her throat! There was something wrong with her throat! She can't talk. Not even a whisper escaped her lips.

Okay, calm down; the pain isn't fading away, so it's safe to assume I'm back in my original body. Everything else I could deal with later. Then Lilia opened her eyes, and they widened. Then again…

Silver feathers were everywhere, but many had torn through everything like tissue paper. Silva? They were nowhere in sight. Her eyes moved up to see wings just above her head.

Lilia furrowed her brow. Silva can't be behind me, too big, so how…

Suddenly, the floor gave way. Lilia hissed as her arms were yanked out of their sockets. One of her chains broke free from the wall, and then she hit the wall hard. She tried to get her barrings when something hot landed on my foot. Looking down, Lilia saw the charred remains of the collar, and she watched it fall and smash up in the spikey debris below.

Okay, so try not to fall. That's good to know. Maybe the wings? But she looked up. Great, just great, they're gone. Who would have guessed? On the bright side, she could also see the sky—big enough for a body or two to squeeze through. Now, all she had to do was get to it.

Lilia couldn't help but think that the sky was just there to mock her.

She tried to find a foothold, but it crumbled underneath her foot. Then, she fell afoot for added incentive as the remaining chain began unbuckling from the wall. She gritted her teeth as pain shot through her shoulder.

Yay, more pain!

"Need help?" Which was followed by a very close yip.

Startled, Lilia followed the sound to find that gray fox sitting comfortably on a shelf nearby. Lilia opened her mouth, but air came out, but nothing else before responding telepathically. "Thanks, but I don't think you'll be that much help."

The fox crackled with laughter. "Not me, silly girl. Them."

Suddenly, a rope dropped, and Jule came scrambling down. She called up, "Don't slack off, cousin! Not every day do we get a damsel in distress to save."

"Yeah! Yeah!" Kay's voice echoed. "But make it quick, you're heavy."

Jule scoffed, "I've seen you lift three times my weight before, so stop complaining."

She looked Lilia over, and when her gaze turned into concern, it landed on her throat before resting on Lilia's face. Jule plastered a smile while she held out her hand. "Hi, cutie. Shaw we?"

Lilia rolled her eyes, her cheeks red, reaching for Jule's hand as the chain gave way.

***

Headmistress Office.

Maria Weathery looked out the window as Mr. Chesterfield barged in like he owned the place. "Mr. Chesterfield, what are you doing?"

"I apologized, ma'am, but this couldn't wait." Mr. Chesterfield seemed excited. "Not only did I find proof that Miss Andres was responsible, but she was also a Shadowhawk spy."

Maria eyed the man slowly, expressionless. "Really."

Mr. Chersterfield preened. "My contact found out that Miss. Andres had associations with Deakin Pharmaceuticals. And look, I found these in her room."

He began to display one thing after another, from the Shadowhawk's insignia badge to messages implicating her involvement in Stella and Rachel's kidnapping. "I see."

"So, as you can see, the evidence is undeniable. Plus, I have witnessed accounts at the Canavan that she was talking to the suspected kidnappers." Mr. Chesterfield seemed proud of himself. However, when Maria didn't answer right away, he frowned. "Ma'am?"

"Do you think I would believe all this?" Maria stated.

Mr. Chesterfield furrowed his brow. "Of course! It's the truth."

Maria glanced over his evidence and picked up the badge, "And I call bull. As you say, if Miss Andre's a Shadowhawk, she wouldn't leave such an obvious trail." Maria let the evidence slip through her hand like they had met nothing. "She would have been a dead Shadowhawk if that was the case."

Mr. Cheterfeild straightened up. "Headmistress, are you saying I'm lying? What I said is the truth. Miss Andres is a Shadowhawk."

Maria sighed, leaning back and placing one hand underneath her desk. "You government lackeys are so good at twisting the truth, it might as well be a game to you people." This came from Maria as a lawyer who knew a thing or two, twisting the truth to her benefit; that said, she always felt that people like Mr. Chesterfield deserved their own category. "But you didn't account for one thing." She gave the man a long look.

"Ma'am, What are you applying?"

"I already knew that she was a Shadowhawk," Maria replied.

Mr. Chesterfield looked stunned. "Ho…how."

Maria smiled. "Simple enough. She told me."

He sputtered, "But that doesn't mean anything."

Maria laughed. "Mr. Chesterfield. It means I trust her much more than I do you."

He looked about to deny it again, but his face shifted into a calm mask. "How long did you know?"

Maria raised her brow, intrigued. So, I'm not playing any more games. "Oh, how did I know that you've betrayed me? I knew you would betray sooner or later." She tapped her finger on her desk. "Maybe it was when you orchestrated that Castie girl to come to my compound. Perhaps to discredit me when she suddenly turns up dead, perhaps?" She paused, waiting for him to respond when he didn't. "If that didn't work, you would care for me yourself, correct?" She clicked her tongue. "All that work just to get my compound. If it weren't so obvious, I would be impressed."

"Why did you let the Lumeye children and Miss Andres leave you unprotected? If you knew," he sneered.

"Because we wouldn't have this little moment, would we." Besides, who knew how much he would weasel out of everything if he didn't think his plan would as expected? "To hand it over to Deakin Pharmaceuticals? I have heard about Compounds being wiped out for no apparent reason and people disappearing in the Cities." She nodded her head at Mr. Chesterfield. "And when the Nomads came along, saying something about Zombies in the Wasteland. Then, everything began to make sense." Maria glared. "I like to deal with such scum personally."

He cursed, reaching for his gun and shot. Maria didn't move or flinch away as the bullet slowed and decayed right in front of her. Before he could get another shot, she already had a bullet between his eyes.

"What would you have done if I wasn't here?" Faceless asked, materializing beside Maria.

Maria put her gun back in. "I don't know. I think I'll manage." Then she paused, her tone turning serious. "How are they? My kids."

He hesitated. "They're alive, but…."

Maria sighed in relief. "Alive right now is good enough. One thing at a time, yes."

Camp 2

Lilia was out into the open sky again; she and the Nomad managed to meet with Terran, Heather, and the others. However, that was when explosions erupted under the ground, collapsing buildings, and fire spreading soon followed. The group had no choice but to head back to Camp 2.

One obstacle stood in their way, the barrier, but that solved itself as the sky became bright before the webbing dissolved into nothing. They exited the Ruined City with ease.

When they arrived at Camp 2, Druid's group was already there. Druid and Bryson were holding back Statson, who was screaming. "I need to get to Colten."

That was when Shadow and his group showed up, half of whom were carried by his Phantasms. With two people, Lilia didn't recognize a young boy and an old woman.

As soon as Statson saw the groups, he went to the unconscious boy and wept.

And that was the last thing Lilia saw as she passed onto the ground.

***

A couple of days later, the city was still on fire, and everyone waited for help to arrive. They had too many people injured to move. Lilia was situated outside under a tent with all the others injured. Well, except for Rachel. Lilia only saw Rachel in passing before she was charted off with the older woman in the main building. There, she was supposed to be isolated for everyone's safety. But Lilia saw the Vine Markings, and she heard whispers that they were shocked Rachel was still alive.

Lilia was dying to sneak in and see her, but…she glanced at the bed beside her, where Stella clutched Lilia's even in sleep. She wasn't seriously injured; she was malnourished and needed a lot of rest.

Lilia, on the other hand, looked like a mummy. Terran had to reset the bones in her leg and bind it. She also had bandages wrapping half her body. The worst was her throat. It was severely burnt. Terran told her it would take a long time to heal and probably would still leave scars.

Lilia would be unable to speak until her throat had time to heal. She could still use her telepathy, but…

Lilia was very conflicted about it. She wanted to get back into music, however slowly. She wanted to stop running. However, with her throat like this, what could she do? Lilia could still play the piano, but the piano was where her trauma began, and she wasn't sure if she was able to face that pain yet.

"Terran, can we talk?" Tessa's voice resonated.

"What about? Terran asked.

Then, Heather came in. "Ha, little bro…."

Lilia instantly grabbed her and held her still. "Shh"

"I wanted to ask… um… why don't you come with me. To Towa." Tessa's voice was hesitant. "It's not just because I like you. With my family's recommendation, your dreams of being a doctor would…."

"I can't." His tone was bittersweet.

Heather began to squirm. Lilia held on tighter.

"Um, if it's about being a Lumeye. Don't worry; I don't care about that, and my father's name goes a long way."

"No, it's not about that." Terran denied. "At least only partly."

"If this is about Lilia?" Tessa's voice became weak.

"I only think of Lilia as a sister," Terran stated. "Besides, she has no interest in someone like me."

Lilia rolled her eyes. Geeze, Terran, if you talk like that, it's no wonder she's so confused.

"What! What's wrong with you? Terran, you're great." Tessa sounded outraged.

"No, I mean her type is more… curvier." He stammered.

"Curvier, what does that…." Then she exclaimed. "Oh, you mean she likes girls. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Um…"

"Okay, never mind, then tell me why."

Terran was silent before answering. "A long time, okay. Our foster father was into some illegal crap. Stealing cars mostly."

"I don't care about…."

"Just listen. Please." 

"Okay."

"So…um… my sister. Even at a young age, she was gifted in mechanics, so he used her in many of his heists." He paused. "Me, on the other hand, was used as a punching bag to keep Heather in line."

"Terran."

"Let me finish. One time, a job went bad, and one of that guy's favourites was arrested. He blamed Heather. It wasn't even her fault, but instead of coming after me. He went after Heather. And it was bad, a lot worse than he ever did to me. He was going to…" he swallowed. "Anyway, I killed him with a knife. Blood was all over Heather, and she was screaming."

Heather stilled as she melted into my embrace. Lilia felt tears dripping onto her arms.

"Anyways, because my foster father was a man of influence, I was charged with murder."  Terran's voice was trembling. "I'm not allowed to set foot in any of the Cities again."

While Lilia was in that out-of-body state, she saw how wreaked Heather was when she was with Heather. She knew it was bad, but not that bad.

No wonder I couldn't convince her. Lilia felt Heather barrow deeper. If this helps her just a little…

Something drew her attention. Bryson and Druid walked by, patrolling the fence. Katy and Daniel should be patrolling as well. Shadow was nearby, talking with the Nomads. Statson was sleeping outside a tent with the small boy inside, still unconscious. She couldn't see Andres and Caption Bard, but both should be busy.

Everything seemed fine.

Still, something was nagging at her. It was not about the twins, but something else—something important. Honestly, she only recalls nips and pieces in her out-of-body experience. The clearest was when she was with Druid, Heather, and Shadow.

So, what am I forgetting?

1