Chapter 1: A Quiet Sky
342 5 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
To launch the third book, I've included the prologue and first chapter. The second chapter will release on Friday, then future chapters will release every Monday and Friday.
Hope you all enjoy!
 
Read chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

 
The town was as quiet as it was unnerving under the quiet dawn light. An impenetrable veil of silence covered the town, wreckage strewn in the streets. The small woman quivered as she looked upon the destruction, quietly damning herself for the harm she had done. Her sister insisted she was not the one in control, her warm voice seeking to soothe her aching heart. But she knew the truth. While she was not lucid as she is now, while she was lost in her anger and animosity, she was still herself. She was still in control, at least enough to feel responsible.

Homes were ravaged, rooves skewered by trees which she plucked from the ground like simple flowers in her grasp. The roads were pummeled to dusty fragments thanks to the objects she haphazardly threw down in her violent assaults. She could spy no less than ten black marks seared on the ground, all caused by her lightning. Each ounce of destruction felt like they had been tied to her heart, weighing her down.

Amidst the destruction, a single doll lay, trapped under the rubble of a ruined store front. She felt drawn to it, drawing the carriage to a halt. She used her meager might to push away the stones, her sister giving her what little extra strength she could until the doll had been freed. She pulled the soft plush into her arms, analyzing the tiny fairy girl, lingering on each tear and hole left in her body. She pulled it into her chest, the tears streaming down her cheeks.

She could still remember every moment of being in that town, even as it shrank into the distance. She sighed again as she wiped away the tears. It was rather laughable. She spent so many years desperately swallowing her constant desire to cry, simply forcing it to the side, like a box of samples she wasn’t ready to deal with yet. But now? She couldn’t stop herself from opening it, if she tried, and she no longer desired to.

She felt a warmth overtake her as a woman hugged her. “There, there, Iris,” the woman said, petting her. She looked up, the woman’s long pink hair dangling behind her, as long white ears bobbed overhead.

“Thank you, Aunt Honey,” she said, burying her face into her aunt’s chest. It was strange. She hadn’t even known she even had an aunt until a matter of days ago, much less two. Yet, she felt so close to her now. How had she managed to get by without them?

“We are here for you Iris,” another woman cooed. She looked over to see her sister, Saya, stand above her, stroking her silver-white hair. She couldn’t help but giggle as her sister doted on her. How had she gotten so far without either of them?

“Geez, don’t spoil her,” a woman in shining silver armor laughed.

“Aw, come now Aria, I think she needs it right now,” Saya giggled.

“Just as long as she doesn’t let it go to her head again,” Aria chuckled, Iris frowning.

“Aria,” Saya pouted.

“Uh, sorry,” Aria apologized. “I didn’t mean it that way. I was just trying to tease you,” she frowned.

“Guess you gotta work on your sense of humor then,” Iris huffed.

“Well, you still know how to make a biting comment,” Aria chuckled, Iris sticking out her tongue. “I am sorry though, it’s just… I’m adjusting to how… vulnerable you are now, I guess.”

“Whatever,” Iris grumbled, as Aria gave a small sigh.

“Geez, we’re going to have our hands full with them, aren’t we Saya?” Honey giggled.

“Yeah,” Saya giggled. “I must admit though. It has gotten rather quiet without the others.”

“Heck, I’m actually starting to miss Phora now,” Aria sighed as she stretched beside Saya. “We’d go after each other a lot, but she was pretty entertaining.”

“Unfortunately, it can’t be helped,” Honey moped. “They all have their own missions, and a place like Avtalia would be able to spot Phory immediately. We’re fortunate I never gathered much of a reputation with the church, so I’m unlikely to get noticed.”

“How did you manage that anyway?” Aria asked.

“I bet Aunt Honey knew when it was best to evaporate from the situation,” Iris giggled.

“That’s right,” Honey giggled with her niece. “It’s pretty hard to notice a witch’s face when she’s a cloud of mist.”

“Yeah,” Aria nodded. “Let’s see, with Honey, Nerivi, and myself, we should be well defended. Plus we have Lillia who should know how to help us avoid trouble.”

“Avoiding trouble, huh?” Iris mumbled.

“Is something the matter sister?” Saya frowned.

“Just thinking about everything,” she sighed, the others sharing a concerned look.

“By the way,” Honey frowned. “Why did you help Zerto in the first place? Xenia and Saya made it sound like you two hated each other.”

“We do and did,” Iris said flatly. “Our interactions like that have been nothing but transactional since I was a kid,” she frowned. “At least ever since father soured like he did,” a tear trickling down her cheek. “Geez, I thought I was over this.”

“What do you mean?” Saya asked.

“You may not remember this Saya, but back then, things were very different,” Iris sighed. “Father. He wasn’t like he is now. He was still scary, and in retrospect he still treated mother horribly, but he had a certain warmth to him. One that he no longer has, obviously,” she looked to the ceiling in contemplation. “Thinking about it, back then, it was really just the four of us. Father, Mother, Zerv, and myself. Sure, there were the others, but Xenia was still quite young and too easily distracted, as was Aurith. Lillia was still a toddler and Saya… you had only just been born.”

“I was always excited to see him back then,” she continued. “I hoped he would look at my inventions and compliment me on my good work. But then, that day, it was as if he took that illusion and smashed it over me, all while insulting me for even ever thinking he respected me. I created a magitech to generate lightning. It was wonderful and elaborate. But after seeing it activate, father ordered that I destroy it. It was heartbreaking for me. I had no idea why it happened, but it was as if father suddenly decided to hate me. He no longer complimented my work and only gave me a venomous glare. I was so heartbroken that I never realized what else happened back then. I think some small desperate part of me clung to trying to get his recognition again. Perhaps there was a magical aspect to it too, but I think I just wanted to try and prove I was useful.”

“That’s horrible,” Honey’s eyes shook with sadness. “Was he so cruel to the others too?”

“For Aurith and Xenia, yes to a degree,” Iris explained, “though he largely left them to their teachers, and Lillia was sent off to the church. As for Saya, she would go on to receive the same treatment as Aurith and Xenia after she started becoming of age,” she sighed, “forced into knight hood.”

“Knighthood,” Saya repeated, looking down as she recalled her training and how it once shackled her. She considered how Iris must have felt the same, looking back to her sister with sadness. Iris returned a gentle smile and nodded. “We have all been through a lot,” she sighed.

“Yeah,” Iris nodded. “And then there was Zerv,” she continued. “He was a rather unique kid in retrospect. Excited and energetic, he would always run around with his long hair and eagerly try to spend time with me. I was actually pretty jealous of him since he spent so much time with mom, but I got to spend time with father, so I was more or less fine with it at the time. He was a sweet and kind older brother. He also seemed to have a lot of insights into magic, more than even myself. I was a little jealous, but super excited to learn from him.”

“I had no idea,” Saya frowned. “By the time I was aware of him, he had already left for Avtalia,” she looked back up. “Iris…” she frowned, noticing her tears.

“Geez, sorry,” Iris gave a light chuckle as she wiped away her tears again. “It’s just… it’s like my emotions just keep gushing out now. I just can’t stop.”

“That’s alright sweetie,” Honey gripped her hand. “It’s natural to feel like that when you feel safe. Especially after so many horrible things.”

“Safe, huh?” Iris smiled. “Yeah. I really do feel safe around you all. It’s nice.”

“If you want, we’re here for you if you want to keep going,” Aria gave a cool smile, only to get a shocked look from Iris. “What? I care too, yknow.”

“Heh, thank you Aria,” Iris nodded. “Well, Dad wasn’t the only one who was nicer back then. Mom was likewise equally kind and eager to be with me too. She’d always encourage me, and she was nothing like the distant woman she is now. Things would get tense when she and father were in the same room though. I never really understood it back then, I thought it was just grown-up royalty stuff. I had no idea what he was doing to her,” she trembled.

“I see,” Honey nodded. “She must’ve still been able to resist him at the time.”

“Yeah, looking back on it now, it seems more obvious what likely happened,” Iris grimaced. “I didn’t know what happened exactly, but it was clear something did, though I still don’t know the specifics. But before long, after whatever it was, father started treating me like some sort of disgrace. Mother started acting colder and distant too. Her time started being eaten up by being a priestess too. And then there was Zerv. He was suddenly so different. He got his hair cut short, and he would have lots of training practice, like Xenia would. At times he would have this strong feeling about himself, and others he would seem so sad and fragile. I would sometimes even find him crying. Before I could really question it, he was gone, off to train to become a paladin in Avtalia. I haven’t see him since then, and back then I didn’t think twice about it, but now…”

“Now you think that this Zerv was a witch too?” Honey clarified.

“That’s right,” Iris nodded. “I… Whoa!” she bounced from the sudden rumble of the carriage, clinging to her aunt. “S-sorry,” she said releasing her. “I guess I’m still getting used to being so small.”

“No need to worry my dear,” she pet the young woman causing her to smile. “You were saying?”

“Well, I was wondering if you think it’s possible. Zerv was only a couple years older than me, so twelve or thirteen. Would that have been possible?” Iris asked.

“Most certainly,” Honey nodded. “Witches can awaken to their magic quite young, and twelve can be a rather typical age.”

“I see,” she nodded.

“So, you’re saying this Zerv may have been awakening as a witch and got taken to be held by the church?” Honey asked. Iris nodded. “Unfortunately, I think you may be right. If what you’re saying is true, then Zerv may very well be a witch, and had her powers sealed like you did.”

“Do you think that may be why the king started hating you?” Aria considered.

“What do you mean?” Iris tilted her head.

“Well, did he even know about how Witch’s Blood worked? Or the Spell of Awakening?” the others traded an uncertain look. “Maybe he realized about how witches inherit their powers and decided to take it out on you?”

“You really think so?” Saya frowned.

“After everything we’ve learned about Zerto, I wouldn’t put it past him. Not that it makes me particularly happy to suggest that,” Aria sighed.

“Father,” Iris whimpered. “Why did you do this to us?”

* * *

“How have you all been back there?” Lillia asked with a giggle as they got out of the wagon. “Do anything fun?”

“Not particularly. We were just talking,” Aria chuckled.

“Iris told us a bit about when she was a kid and how Zerv was back then,” Saya answered.

“Oh, really? Spill it. I want to know,” Lillia prodded.

“Geez, you’ve become such a gossip,” Iris frowned.

“It’s not like I had many better things to do at the convent,” Lillia giggled into her hand.

“Weren’t you supposed to be studying to be a priestess?” Nerivi questioned as she set down a bag of camping equipment.

“The lessons they had us learning were so dull though,” Lillia grumbled. “Not to mention easy. Gossiping was the only thing fun to do. Well, that and reading.”

“Oh yes, Xenia did mention you had been reading a lot,” Saya remembered. “She said they gave you some strange ideas.”

“Is that what she said?” Lillia crossed her arms and pouted. “She was the one being vague about the whole thing.”

“I’m sure it felt that way to her,” Honey giggled. “But I have to take Lillia’s side on this one. Xenia was rather poor with explaining the situation with your awakening, Saya.”

“Is that true Aria?” Saya looked to her knight.

“Uh, well, I guess so,” Aria answered nervously.

“You weren’t any better you know,” Lillia teased her.

“H-hey, that’s not fair,” Aria blushed. “We were in an awkward position, yknow? We wanted to be respectful of Saya, and neither of us really knew how to explain her identity to you.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Lillia shrugged.

“I can see her being all awkward about it,” Iris teased.

“Hey…” Aria slumped.

“Now, now, don’t give her such a hard time,” Nerivi chuckled. “From the sounds of things, Luxur puts a lot more emphasis on training for combat than decorum these days. Heck, I had to teach Aurith much of his knowledge on diplomacy,” she grinned.

“That sounds about right,” Iris chirped. “Father always preferred having an army of unfeeling knights to throw around. I learned that when I was pretty young.”

Aria sighed and looked down as the others laughed. She gripped her hand as she considered their words, contemplating the shortcomings of her training. Was she really…? Another hand grasped her balled up fist. She looked beside her to see the cute face of her princess. “Saya,” she blushed.

“It is okay, Aria,” she smiled. “I understand. You were just trying to do right by me.” Aria’s heart raced as she watched Saya’s cheeks rise, only a meek nod shaking from her head. “Thank you for looking out for me.”

“O-of course,” Aria nodded.

“You two are off in your own world I see,” Iris poked Saya’s arm.

“Sorry sister,” Saya giggled, Aria jerking her head downward to look to the short princess.

“By the way, we’re not too far off from Avtallia now,” Lillia noted, pointing toward a nearby hill. “Once we pass that hill, we should be able to see the cathedral, then the rest of the city sometime after that.”

“Reaching the city before nightfall should be rather simple,” Nerivi added as she set the table. “We even have time to take our time with lunch.

“What kind of place is Avtallia anyway?” Saya asked. “I have never been there. Is it like Gelin? No, perhaps it is more like the castle?”

“It’s not really like either of them,” Lillia stated. “Avtallia is a city that glows with wealth. It’s one of the greatest treasures of the church, and they try to make it match that title. The streets are so clean and pure white, it feels like they glow. And the buildings have all sorts of embellishments. They’d put even most lords manors to shame, even if they’re just a simple grocer’s stall.”

“Really?” Saya gawked. “That sounds incredible.”

“It’s true though,” Iris nodded.

“Wait, you’ve been there?” Aria gave a shocked look.

“A few times. Once when I was little, though I don’t remember why. I’ve been there occasionally for work though beyond that. Like Lillia said, they’re a gem of the church, so they have a bunch of magical equipment you can’t find anywhere else,” she explained. “Thinking about it, I think that’s where a lot of the parts and materials for Ilo’s Demon Controller likely came from.”

“That’s a little disturbing,” Aria shuddered.

“Well, the brighter the light, the larger the shadow,” Honey commented.

“What do you mean, Lady Honey?” Nerivi asked.

“Think about it,” her long ears bobbed to the side. “They probably try to have such a grandiose appearance to distract people from the darker things they do there. No place is ever truly that clean and perfect.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right,” Lillia agreed. “I mean, mother is a good example of that. A priestess who is actually a witch, forced to use her magic to make them look good. It’s not that surprising that other parts of it would also be full of lies too.”

“Reminds me of what Phordata said about Lady Lumina,” Aria pulled out a charm. She frowned as she looked upon it. The insignia that proved she was a Lumina Knight. The same insignia she had to remove to hide that identity, to hide her allegiance. She frowned. “She was someone like us, trying to fight for what she knew to be right. A witch who fought for others, before the church reappropriated her image and ideals for their own uses.”

“Exactly,” Honey nodded, her bunny like ears bouncy in agreement. “That’s how the church has always worked.”

“Is that true?” Nerivi asked.

“That’s what I was taught as a kid,” Honey commented. “I suppose it could be exaggerated like how they exaggerated Lady Lumina’s actions. However, it’s certainly true that it’s how the church behaves now,” she began to grip her skirt, her ears drooping downward. “What happened with Ethnerta’s fate is one such example.”

“What was Ethnerta like anyway?” Aria asked.

“It was a beautiful place,” Honey smiled, her gaze drifting skyward. “It was a land full of kind hearts and a benevolent rule. Our great queen, Rosaria Magenia, was a warm and considerate ruler. She would often mingle with the common folk like myself, listen to our wants and needs, and seek ways to improve the country. She even spoke to me a few times, a little girl who had just moved there with my parents. It was as pleasant to live in as it was beautiful. Phory and I would picnic at one of the parks outside the castle every week when we were younger,” Honey smiled. “They were such blissful days. We had so few cares back then,” her words lingered in the air as the others looked on quietly, mourning the lands they had never known.

“I’m rather jealous, if I’m being honest,” Aria finally broke the silence. “Luxur castle isn’t bad, but it could get rather stuffy in there. Ethnerta sounds incredible in comparison.”

“Yeah,” Honey quietly chuckled. “I miss it so much. I wish you all could have seen it before…”

“That brings up something I’ve been meaning to ask,” Lillia looked to Honey. “Back home, we were taught that the war was caused because of some nonsense about witches tempting innocents or the like. I find that hard to believe given everything we’ve learned, so I was wondering, why did that war really happen?”

“In all honesty,” Honey frowned. “I don’t really know the answer. But… tempting innocents…” she considered quietly. “I remember a girl arriving some years before everything happened. A kind and beautiful girl who grew to be one of the most passionate voices against Luxur,” her eyes wandered.

“Aunt Honey?” Saya tilted her head.

“No, it’s nothing,” Honey shook her head. “All I know is that for whatever the reason they chose to attack us, whatever their justification. So many innocent people died because of them,” she sighed.

“Aunt Honey,” Saya looked to her. She took her hand into her own. “We will stop them, to make sure that nothing like that can ever happen again,” she said, tears brimming in her eyes.

“Yes,” Honey smiled. “Thank you, Saya.”

The group sat and had a somber meal, the shadow of their obstacles weighing upon their hearts. Before long they had taken again to the road continuing upon their travel. Then at last, distant spires began to emerge from the horizon. In time, large pristine buildings began to sprout up before a mighty wall finally rose up. It was as Lillia described it, a shining jewel of the church, immaculate even. Yet, Saya could only shiver upon witnessing it. On the surface it seemed gorgeous and beautiful, but she could not deny the shadows creeping behind its walls.

Saya felt a tiny hand grasp her own, looking to her side, witnessing Iris trembling beside her. “I…” her voice quaked.

“It is okay, sister,” Saya said, hugging the girl close. “We will face it, together,” her voice comforted the small girl.

“Yeah,” Iris nodded. “We have to try, for mom, and our eldest,” she gripped Saya’s hand tightly. “And for those lost at Ethnerta too.”

“We are finally here,” Saya glared at the looming city, “Avtalia. We are coming for you, mother.”

Thanks for reading!

Want to read more? Early chapters on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

19