Chapter 10: Bewitched
290 4 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Read chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

The girlish reflection shivered. The womanly form was as entrancing as it was beautiful, and equally striking at how unlike it was to what Bran had expected to see. Delicate curves and budding breasts inspired a bright blush, contrasted by long flowing dark blue locks. Had Bran met her on the street, he’d become utterly entranced by her beauty, just as he was now.

A knock sounded from the door breaking his fixation. “My lord, are you awake?” Bran panicked as he heard the woman’s voice, wildly searching for a space to hide. “I’m coming in,” the voice announced as doorknob turned and the maid entered quicker than he could move. She was a gorgeous and tall woman with pure white hair flowing down her back, yet she was unmistakably inhuman. Two horns jutted from her head and veins of light blue scales gripped the corners of her jaw. Her radiant cyan wings folded upon her back, maintaining her elegant demeanor. She looked towards the changed Bran, who stood there in shock, as the maids yellow slitted eyes beheld him. “Good morning,” she gave a sweet smile as she proceeded to bow.

“Uh, um, g-good morning,” the unfamiliar high tones answered from Bran’s mouth as panic clashed with confusion in his mind. Why was she acting so typically? Had she mistaken him for someone else? A date perhaps? The thought sent a bright flame through his cheeks. “S-sorry, I think you may have the wrong impression, I…”

“You do not need to say anything,” the maid interrupted as she approached. “I understand what is going on.”

“Miss Lyn…” Bran looked to her with shaking eyes. “Y-you… no, I don’t think you do.”

“Whatever you say, little master,” Lyn chuckled as she brushed some of the hair out of Bran’s face. “Now come along.”

“What?” Bran asked confusedly. “You don’t have any questions?”

“Not at the moment. Besides, your father wishes to speak with you. Now come along,” Lyn prodded as her pale blue tail slithered beneath her dress, holding the door open.

“F-father? Then you really do know?” Bran looked to Lyn, who returned with a smile. “Alright,” Bran nodded, heading into the hallway. Lyn began to take the lead as she guided their way. Bran looked up to her and quietly thought of the maid. She was a dracna, a dragon that had adopted a human like form. Specifically, she was an ice dragon, a wielder of frigid air and a conjurer of sharp spears of ice. She was kind and gentle, also treating his family and their guests with a kind demeanor and extraordinary kindness. Yet, she was still different from those around her. One of very few of her kind to reside in the area, a mystery that always intrigued him, yet a topic that only invited a chilling shoulder from Lyn herself.

As a child, he always looked up to her, especially once his mother was exiled. He sighed as he thought about the two. The mysterious yet benevolent maid he had known all his life, and the loving mother who had been exiled when he was still young. Even now finding details about either of them proved to be exceedingly difficult. It changed little though. His mother was gone, and Lyn was still here, watching over him. Perhaps that was how she was totally unfazed by his changes, that she simply knew him that well. And yet, there seemed to be more. Lyn even seemed a bit relaxed today, as if something good had happened to her. He wondered what that could be.

“We are here, my lord,” Lyn announced, snapping Bran from his thoughts.

“Thank you, Lyn,” Bran’s father thanked as he set down his book and looked to them with a smile, which only confused Bran further. “Come here child, there is something I wish to discuss,” Bran gave a small nod and approached a chair across from his father. “Lyn, if you would please prepare us our breakfast.”

“Of course, my lord,” Lyn bowed before vanishing back into the hallway.

Bran looked to his father, as he felt the edge of his seat, his nerves bouncing with anxiety. “Calm yourself and relax. There is nothing to be afraid of.”

“O-okay,” Bran answered, uncertainty cracking into his voice, following his father’s instruction, and easing into the cushy chair. It felt odd, it almost felt like doing so just made him more aware of his new feminine form as his skin tingled from the slightest brush. He looked to his father, who simply smiled. That wasn’t an unusual occurrence, his father was known as a jovial and energetic man, yet there was some deeper calm to his smile. “U-um… you wished to speak to me?”

“I did,” his father nodded. “How have you been this morning?”

“How have I...?” Bran blinked. “What do you think?” he trembled with an uncertain whimper.

“That’s why I’m asking you,” he joked.

“I don’t get it. Why aren’t you and Lyn saying anything? You’re acting as if everything is normal or something?” Bran shook. “Why won’t you say anything? Why are you ignoring what’s happening to me?” he quivered, a couple tears on the verge of leaking through the cracks in his facade, and a sniffle soon following. “I don’t understand.” He felt so frail and vulnerable, as if he could no longer keep all the emotions he had held deep in side bottled up any longer. “I…”

Bran’s father sighed. “I apologize. I thought by acting normal, it might help you feel more relaxed given the circumstances,” he frowned. “Of course, I’ve noticed how you’ve changed. How could I not?”

“Then why?” he sniffled.

The lord smiled. “Because, all I want is for my little girl to be happy.”

He felt disarmed, as if his sword had been flung from his grasp, screeching upon the floor, far out of reach. No. That wasn't right. He felt even more disarmed than that, like 50 swords had been flung away and his armor sent crashing to the ground.

“Wh-what did you call me?”

“You don't have to hide anymore, my little girl.”

“I…” his voice wavered. ‘Little girl?’ Why did those words sound so warm? Why were his eyes feeling funny? Was he crying? Why did these tears feel different? “B-but…”

“I know,” the Lord said, raising from his seat and approaching the dumbstruck Bran. “I know. This must all be so much for you. So many things must be running through your head right now, and you must be so confused.”

Bran nodded. “I don’t understand anything that’s happening right now. What’s happening to me, or why you’re acting like this. I don’t understand.”

“I shall do all I can to help you,” he said, “but first,” he held his child close. “I've wanted to hold you like this for so long. I'm sure your mother would have wanted this as well.”

“M-mom? What does she…?”

“The truth is dear,” he looked the child in the eye. “Your mother is a witch. It's why she was run out of the castle when you were young. When you were born, she told me you shared her blood, and that this was likely to happen to you one day. That you would change as you have. I've wanted to indulge you everyday since then," he chuckled. “To treat my little girl.”

“B-but I'm not…” he shook his head. “I'm a boy,” he said with certain confidence. Or at least he tried, before his voice betrayed him and collapsed into a confused whimper. No, not just confused. It was sad in tone too, although he could not understand why. Or at least, he was hesitant to.

“Oh? Then why did you have such a precious smile on your lips when I called you my little girl?”

“I… wh-what?” he stammered… no, it was more like a yelp. A high-pitched squeal of... “I'm…” he shook. A girl? A girl… Thoughts drifted off to that sensation of alienation. Feeling out of place amongst the knights. The frustration at fellows treating the maids so rudely.

The child dropped their arms, grazing the sensitive skin of their flat chest, and brushing past their softening curves. They thought of how they thought so highly of the women in their life. The admiration and jealousy of their lives. They blinked as they connected the pieces.

For so long, the youth had felt out of place, failing to understand their peers, and not grasping what drove them. They aspired to be like the beautiful women around them, even feeling some jealousy for what they had. No, that was a lie. It was not some small amount; it was more than that. They desired what those women had for so long. They wanted to be like them, desired to be more like them. And yet it wasn’t meant to be, right? Or at least that’s what they thought. But now…

“I-is this really okay?” they whimpered, a quiet blush sneaking upon their cheeks.

“It's more than okay,” their father held their cheek. “It's what’s right,” he smiled. “It's who you were meant to be, my baby girl.”

Tears flowed down soft cheeks, and a gracious smile grew with energy and desire, eyes welling with gratitude. Being a girl. Yes. The idea became more wonderful with each moment. No. It was a splendid feeling from the very first moment. It was scary perhaps, but also exciting and lovely.

“Daddy,” she finally hugged her father. “Thank you.”

“I'm just sorry I couldn't help you sooner,” her father frowned.

“Sooner?” she repeated. That's right, he knew about all of this, and yet… “Why didn't you tell me?”

The Lord gave a deep sigh. “Unfortunately, that's our family's fault…” he shook his head. “No, it was simply my fault. We… I had so much pressure on myself to announce your birth. The king even visited. Your mother wanted to keep your gender relatively hidden, so you had the opportunity to be yourself, to learn and grow into yourself without repressing yourself, but I ended up caving and announcing you as our son. We had to hide you ever since, in the hopes that you would pass until your awakening.”

“Awakening?”

Her father chuckled. “As I said, your mother is a witch, and so are you. The spell of awakening aligns a witch's body and soul, so they can use their magic. And that's what is happening to you, you are awakening as a witch. Your body is changing to fit your soul, so you can be a witch. Or at least, that’s what I understood of how your mother explained it.”

“I'm a witch?” she asked bringing her hand to her chest.

“You are,” her father nodded.

“I… this is so much to take it,” she frowned. “I don’t know where to begin.”

“I know, dear,” her father rubbed her shoulder looking at her with a gentle smile. His eyes perked up as something caught his attention. “Oh, yes, that’s right.”

“Father?” the girl looked to her father as he approached the side board, opening a drawer to retrieve a velvet satchel.

“Here,” he said, placing the bag into his daughter’s hands. “That is a gift your mother left behind for you. She wanted you to have it once you awakened.”

“Mother?” she carefully eyed the satchel, carefully pulling the string to open it. She pulled out a variety of contents. A charming blue bracelet, a pair of sapphire earrings, a variety of odds and ends she didn’t quite understand the purpose of, and finally a locket with a fairy made of gold etched into it. She undid the locket’s latch and opened it, a folded piece of paper residing inside. It was an amazing piece of work, it seemed so small, yet as she unfolded it, it seemed to grow, and it had far more folds than seemed possible. But wat shocked her most was what was written inside. “A letter?”

“To my beloved daughter,

“I hope this letter finds you in good health. I write this letter with a heavy heart. I never desired to leave you, especially at such a critical time, but I no longer have a choice in the matter. I’m certain you’re rather confused, perhaps even frightened by the changes you’ve been going through. I imagine you’ve felt alone and uncertain about all of it, even losing sight of who you truly are. The truth is, that I’m a witch, a woman who was born with a great potential for magic, surpassing the humans around me. It is a potential that you too have inherited, which has undoubtedly begun to awaken within you. But I am confident that you will find your way forward and discover who you really are in the process. I only wish I could be with you through it all. Fortunately, I have made arrangements that I hope will help you. The kingdom of Luxur has had a long and proud tradition of giving guidance to our kind, passed from Queen to Princess. Queen Lula will most assuredly help guide you on how to proceed next. Should that fail, her daughter, Princess Veria will also guide you.

“I apologize. Writing this has been hard upon me. I do not want to leave you, truly I do not. The mere idea has made writing this quite difficult, and I wish I could do more to help you. However, there is little more I can do for you. Ah, yes, I had forgotten to mention the items I have prepared for you. The satchel you found this letter in is an enchanted item. You will find that it is quite resistant to harm, and will only open for witches like ourselves. You may also notice that it can hold more than it would appear. Inside is of course our family pendant, passed from my mother to me, and now from me to you. It will help protect you and conceal your magic from those who would desire to bring you harm. The jewelry and bracelet will help you channel your magic and strengthen your spells. The other items you will come to understand as you begin to learn more about your magic.

“Unfortunately, it looks as though I do not have any more time. I will have to leave you with this for now. One last thing I would like to leave you with is a request. Ever since you were born, I have regretted not being able to this on, the name I desired to give you; Relia. Be strong and well, my beloved daughter, my Relia.

“Your loving mother,

“Vena Ansa Melona.”

“Relia?” she repeated.

“That's right. That's the name your mother wanted to give you before I messed things up. And it can finally be yours now,” her father smiled.

“Relia,” she smiled. “It's such a beautiful name.”

“One of beauty befitting you, my dear.”

“Relia,” she repeated to herself, her fingers tracing over the name written on the letter. “That’s my name,” she smiled. “My true name.”

* * *

The carriage rumbled as it slowly approached the castle gates. Relia trembled slightly as she considered her situation. Her mother’s letter asked her to visit the queen to help guide her. She quietly sighed to herself. From what her father said, her mother was rather close to the queen. She could only imagine the heartbreak that she would have felt to learn that she had passed away the year before. Much of the kingdom still felt to be in mourning over her death.

She took a deep breath. Her hopes now lay in the kingdom’s princess, Princess Veria Aurelo. The carriage came to a halt, Lyn opening the door a short moment later motioning her to exit. She landed firmly upon the ground before squirming in place. The castle… it was familiar, yet it felt so alien now. It was discomforting now, even intimidating. While she had been here not even a day before, she was so different now, unrecognizably so.

Relia followed Lyn into the castle, following her up the familiar stairs, emerging upon the landing of the second floor. She looked on in shock, quickly pulling up her hood as she saw a familiar man approach and smiled excitedly.

“Good day, Prince Zerto,” Lyn greeted with a bow, Relia quickly mimicking her movements.

“Ah, Lady Lyn,” Zerto bowed. “It is good to see you. Is Bran doing well?” Relia shivered in place, clutching her jacket’s sleeve as her smiled fell.

“The young master is currently bedridden, your highness,” Lyn explained. It was rather impressive how casually she spun such a lie, Relia looking at her in awe for a moment.

“I see,” Zerto nodded before his attention was drawn to Relia’s gaping mouth. “And who is this lovely lass?” he smirked.

“Just a passing visitor,” Lyn explained, her wing wrapping around her master. “She is here to visit the princess, that is all.”

“My sister?” Zerto asked, his eyes narrowing to a glare as he eyed the girls. He relaxed into a smirk. “Well then,” he offered his hand with a slight bow. “I hope you enjoy your stay here, Miss…”

“R-Relia,” she shook his hand, hiding the embarrassing heat flooding her cheeks. Why was she feeling this way? It was just Zerto, her friend. She knew him so well, and yet… he felt so much more intimidating all of a sudden as the embarrassment seemed to twist into fright. She wanted to hide behind Lyn just to escape his gaze.

“I see, Miss Relia,” Zerto made a reassuring smile and kissed the top of her hand, further unsettling her. It felt so… wrong being treated this way by him. She shook her head to try and focus herself. “If you have a moment, I would like to…”

“There you are!” a high voice chirped, as a small girl in a maid outfit ran to them.

“Ciri, how many times do I have to tell you not to run in the halls?” Zerto scolded her.

“You’re not the boss of me, Princess Veria is,” Ciri stuck her tongue out at him.

“Lita, teach you petulant sister some manners,” Zerto snapped at another approaching maid. Relia flinched as she watched the prince lash out. What had gotten into him? He never behaved this way when she was around like this.

“I apologize for her behavior,” the elegant maid gave a bow. “We are still trying to teach her not to be quite so rambunctious.”

“But sis,” Ciri frowned.

“Ciri, dear, we do not behave this way in front of our clientele,” Lita lightly patted her sister on the head.

“Okay,” Ciri whimpered.

“At any rate,” Lita returned her attention to the prince. “I apologize your highness, but you know the rules,” she smiled. “The princess would like to…”

“Yes, yes. Veria does not care for my presence,” Zerto grumbled. ‘I was just leaving,” he relented, descending down the stairs.

“As for you two, if you would please follow me,” Lita motioned them down the hallway.

“Looks like he’s acting out as per usual,” Lyn commented.

“As per usual?” Relia asked.

“Indeed,” Lita answered. “Prince Zerto makes it a bit of a hobby to interfere with our work,” she sighed.

“He’s a jerk,” Ciri complained.

“Ciri,” Lita looked to her sister as if to scold her.

“Sorry,” Ciri pouted.

“I…” Relia began before quieting herself. She sighed as she remembered that the maids didn’t know who she was. Lyn chuckled.

“It’s okay, little master,” Lyn chuckled. “They know.”

Relia froze as she looked to the trio of maids. “They…”

“Yes, we do,” Lita chuckled. “Her highness has been awaiting this day,” she smiled.

“But…” Relia blinked.

“As an aside,” Lyn interjected, “she goes by Relia now.”

“Oh? That’s quite a pretty name,” Lita smiled.

“Like really pretty,” Ciri nodded.

“But, I…” Relia mumbled as she caught up to the others.

“Please give me a moment,” Lita said as she approached a door. “I shall inform the princess that you are here,” she vanished behind the door.

“I… I’m so confused,” Relia pouted. “Why do they…?”

“Why do we know?” Ciri asked.

“Y-yeah,” Relia nodded.

“Because her highness knows all sorts of stuff about magic and witches,” Ciri beamed. “She’s really good at helping people like you, and she has to know who to look out for,” she bounced a little.

“Look at you,” Lyn giggled. “You know a lot for such a little one.”

“I am not little!” Ciri objected. “I turn ten next week,” she boasted.

“That’s what being little is, sweetie,” Lyn teased.

“Hey!” Ciri fumed, causing Lyn to laugh, Relia cracking a giggle in turn.

“Relia,” Lita reemerged. “The princess will see you now.”

“I…,” Relia looked to Lyn.

“Do not worry, my lady,” she smiled, Relia felt a shiver cross her spine, a smile stretching upon her mouth. “While you talk to the princess, I will make our other preparations,” she bowed, Lita and Ciri nodding with her.

“O-okay,” Relia nodded, entering the room.

As she entered, her eyes darted around, glancing at the varying décor. There was a variety of bookshelves adorning the walls, full of all manner of texts and files focusing on different kingdoms and trade. In the corner to her left was a doorway to what she imagined was a storeroom of some kind, as to her right stood a teacart with a teapot and teacup elegantly displayed on it. Before her was a desk standing before a series of windows, which illuminated the room. Sitting behind the desk was a woman with long blonde hair falling behind her, wearing an elegant red dress. The woman’s bright green eyes honed in upon Relia, a soft smile marking her lips. It was her, Princess Veria.

“Greetings,” Princess Veria greeted her. “I hear that you go by Relia now, is that correct?”

“Yes, your highness,” Relia nodded.

“I am glad your awakening seems to be going smoothly,” she smiled. “Before we get started, is there anything you would like to ask me first?”

“There is,” Relia nodded. “Lyn says you know a lot about witches. But I’m confused, I thought that the king has a no tolerance policy with…” she hesitated, grasping at her locket as her reality sank in, “us.” She sank into her chair as she began to realize her circumstances, emerging from frightful thoughts only to trade a pleading glance with the princess.

“That is true,” Veria sighed. “Father has taken to the church quite significantly about that, especially as he’s gotten older. However, it is a tradition since the days of Lady Lumina herself for the princesses and queens of Luxur to guide the young witches in our country, and help them grow.”

“Is that true?” Relia asked, her eyes flickering with hope.

Veria frowned. “It should be that way, however a variety of kings, such as my father, have sought to quash our efforts and eliminate our sacred traditions. In truth, that was the initial conflict that drove our sister kingdom to divide from us in the first place.”

“You mean Ethnerta?”

“I do,” Veria nodded.

“I see,” Relia matched Veria’s frown.

“Was there anything else you wanted to ask?”

“Well…” Relia twiddled her thumbs. “What about me?”

“What about you?”

“I mean. You seem to know a lot about my circumstances. Why?”

Relia gave a sad chuckle. “I see. That would be something you deserve to know. You see, your mother was actually a good friend of my own. The two were rather close back then. When your mother was chased away, mother promised to protect you when you awakened and guide you along your way. Unfortunately, she died before she could ever fulfill that promise. In her later days, she taught me what I needed to know to help you when the time arrived.”

“I see,” Relia sighed.

“Is something the matter?”

“It’s just. It’s frustrating. So many people knew about me, yet I didn’t know myself. I’m not unthankful for the help, but… I wish someone had tried to reach out to me sooner. Tried to help me understand why I felt so isolated and different. I wish I had help sooner,” Relia sniffled.

“I can understand that,” Veria frowned again. “Unfortunately, none of us had confidence that we could do that and evade the suspicions of those around you. We wanted to protect you from being discovered and hurt before you awakened. But, perhaps, that only invited a different type of harm to you, and for that, I am sorry.”

“Princess…”

“Unfortunately,” Veria continued, “the fact remains that you are a witch, and like your mother, you are in danger here now that you have awakened. It won’t take long for your situation to be discovered and then for you to become a target of my father.”

“But what of Zerto and Arstis?” Relia asked. “Certainly, they would be willing to help me. Maybe we could convince…”

“I am sorry, Relia, but that will not work,” Veria shook her head. “Father and the church would never approve of a witch residing in the castle. And, while my brother may hold you in high regard, that does not mean he would be accepting of who you are now.”

“But…”

“I know you have seen him as your friend and ally since you were young, but I can attest to the fact that he can be quite venomous towards those who do not follow down his path,” Veria frowned. “He can be very uncompromising.”

Relia flinched and recoiled. She wanted to object and tell the princess she was wrong. She had heard before that the two had their fair share of disagreements. Among her fellows there was a constant feeling that none of the others had a fond opinion of her. After all, she would regularly meddle and obstruct Zerto’s plans and strategies. She was never clear on the why, but it often felt like she was the only one even considering that she had reasons for her decisions. But even still… “May I ask you something princess?”

“Of course,” Veria nodded.

“You and Zerto, do you hate each other?”

Veria looked away, a saddened look gripping her face. “It is not that we hate each other. Or at least, I do not hate him. But he has been raised to be rather aggressive, a model prince to rule and fight wars for our kingdom. Conversely, our mother raised me to be more open minded to other options. She raised me to negotiate and see ways to work with others. At first, we seemed to compliment each other well. He would handle the harsher violent situations while I would use diplomacy to dismantle tensions. However, as we have gotten older, he has become more dismissive of me and my skills and seeks to dominate all of my duties. That has led to a lot of conflicts between us, especially recently. He often tries to pressure me into giving him what he wants or circumvent me where he can. It is all rather tiring.”

“So, stuff like what I saw Viren doing earlier and trying to pressure one of the maids to take your documents, you’re saying Zerto has been a part of that?”

“Ah yes, one of my maids did mention you stuck up for her with something of that nature. I’m thankful to you for helping he, but…” Veria sighed. “Unfortunately, what you said is true. Brother confessed as much when I spoke with him last night. He no longer respects the boundaries I make any longer,” she frowned.

“That’s really what’s been happening?” Relia questioned, Veria nodding. Now that the princess had mentioned it, it did often feel like Zerto would not listen to Veria’s suggestions. Asking the Lumina Knights to encourage them to follow Zerto’s instructions, and Viren’s actions were not the first time she had seen her fellows pressure the maids like that. When she considered it like that, it seemed rather obvious in hindsight. “I’m sorry. I had no idea.”

“It is not your fault,” Veria smiled gently. “But because of that, I’m concerned of what may befall you should you remain here.”

“But where would I go?” Relia countered. “While I have visited some of the other towns and cities in our Kingdom, these lands have always been my home. Am I just supposed to leave it all? My friends? My father?”

“I know it hurts to consider it, much less dedicate yourself to it, but it would be for the best,” Veria smiled. “In fact, I am certain our sister country would be rather eager to accept you.”

“Ethnerta? Are you suggesting that they would take me in?”

“Happily,” Veria nodded. “Ethnerta’s Queen is a witch named Rosaria. Your mother traveled there on her way to escape father’s wrath. We suspect that she still safely lives there even now.”

“Mother is…” Relia considered.

“And you’d be certain to meet make new friends. Even ones like yourself. I hear plenty of witches have the same experience that you do and find happy and peaceful lives there,” Veria explained.

“Like me?” Relia considered. “It would be nice to have someone else who understood what I was going through,” she made a small smile.

“Precisely,” Veria nodded. “Besides, you would not be alone in your journey.”

“What do you mean princess?”

“You will understand soon,” Veria chuckled. “I believe she should be the one to tell you.”

“Okay?”

“At any rate, there was one more matter I needed to discuss with you,” Veria reached into a drawer. “You will need to take this with you,” she placed two items on the desk, a letter and a purple bag.”

“What are these?” Relia questioned.

“This is a letter of introduction for Queen Rosaria. It has both my and your mother’s seals on it to prove your identity,” Veria explained. “And the bag is something the late queen was given to give to you when you came of age. I am told within it are items your mother wished to pass on to you. I believe it is some money to assist you on your travels. Unfortunately, that is where my knowledge ends.”

“I see,” Relia said, taking the items. She blinked as she held them, a few tears coming to her eyes.

“Relia…”

“Mom… she really loved me, didn’t she?” she cried.

Veria relaxed, a kind smile lighting her face. “Yes, I believe she did.”

* * *

“I am sorry to rush you like this,” Veria said as they approached the gates. “But should father discover you…”

“I understand,” Relia smiled, her face shrouded by her new dark cloak. “I also must thank you for this cloak. I’m certain it will be helpful on our travels.”

“It is the least I could do,” Veria chuckled. “Well then, I suppose it is time. I leave her in your care,” she turned her attention to a familiar figure.

“Miss Lyn,” Relia said in awe.

“Thank you for all you have done for us, Princess,” Lyn bowed.

“It has been my pleasure, Lady Lyndia,” Veria bowed in turn. “Thank you for your service. And please take care of her along your way.”

“Wait, you’re the one coming with me?” Relia asked. “What of father?”

“Your father always knew this day would come,” said Lyn. “The truth is, I only became your family’s maid for your mother’s sake. She and I have been through much together, and I decided to work for your family to watch over her. And I remained so I could watch over you until your time to take this journey had arrived.”

“Miss Lyn,” Relia’s eyes shimmered with gratitude. “I don’t know what to say.”

“You don’t have to say a thing,” she smiled. “Now then, we should be off now.”

“Farewell you two. May your travels be safe and swift,” Veria bowed.

“Of course,” Relia said, hugging the princess, taking the woman by surprise. “Thank you for all you’ve done for me. And you be safe too,” she said finally releasing the tearful royal.

“I am glad to have been useful to you,” Veria smiled somberly. “Safe travels.”

“Thank you, and goodbye princess,” she said as she mounted the carriage. The horses neighed and stamped the ground before carrying them off. Relia continued to wave farewell to the princess for a time until the castle began to fade into the distance. Relia adjusted herself in her seat and sighed.

“I know what you’re thinking,” Lyn chuckled.

“Would it be, okay?” Relia shifted.

“Unfortunately, it would not be a good idea,” Lyn answered. “But we can drive past it on the way.”

“If you could, please,” Relia’s voice fell to a hush, her eyes beginning to burn.

“Of course, my lady.”

A short while later, it began to creep into view. The familiar gates and façade of her home. She began to sniffle as memories began to flood her mind. The lovely days of herself as a child with her mother. All the days she would study with her father. The joyful playing around and the giggling maids as she messed around. There were so many memories of this place. A place that she would never get to see again. Nor would she…

Her eyes grew wide as she noticed a man standing beside the gates. One she knew well. One she could never forget. The carriage slowed to a stop as she leapt out and ran into his arms. “Daddy!”

“Hi there, sweetie,” he smiled. He looked up to Lyn, a thankful smile on his lips as the maid returned a lamentable one. He hugged his daughter with a gentle, loving might. “You be a good girl out there, you hear.”

“I don’t want to leave you,” she cried. “I finally get to… we finally get to…”

“I know,” he said, patting her head. “But this is for your own safety. I want you to live a beautiful, happy, and safe life, and you can’t have that here.”

“Daddy,” she sobbed.

“I’m so grateful I got to see my little girl be happy before you had to leave me. I’ll always cherish that. But you have a wonderful life ahead of you, and you’ll find even more happiness there, I’m sure.”

“I will, I promise,” she hugged him tight.

“I hate to interrupt,” Lyn frowned.

“I know,” the lord chuckled. “It’s time for you to go now,” he said, breaking their hug.

“Wait…” Relia looked to him a mischievous smile forming upon her hopeful face. “Why don’t you come with us?”

The lord frowned. “I’m sorry dear. But I cannot.”

“But why not?” Relia asked. “We could be together. You, me, and mom.”

“Relia,” he looked at her with sorrow. “You know I have my duties, and…”

“Who cares about that!?” Relia cried. “Why do those matter when we can…”

“Because, part of my duty is protecting you,” her father patted her head. “I must remain to give you time to escape, and prevent the king from discovering what has happened to you.”

“But…”

“There are other reasons,” her father frowned, “but that is for your mother to tell you when the time comes,” he smiled. “I’m sorry, Relia. I wish I could be with you, but I must stay behind.”

“Daddy,” Relia cried. “I don’t…”

Her father chuckled. “May I ask you one selfish thing for me before you leave?”

“What?” Relia’s voice trembled.

“Would you smile for me, one last time? I’d like to see you off with one.”

“Okay,” she tried her best to smile, wiping away her tears. “Thank you, dad, for everything. I’m so glad I got to be your daughter.”

“As am I,” he smiled back. “You get along now. You have a long road ahead of you,” he shooed her off, the smiling girl climbing into the carriage. “Take care of yourselves. I’ll miss you!”

“Goodbye Dad!” she waved as the carriage rolled away. She stood as tall as she could, watching yet another important place to her shrink into the distance, a shower of tears pouring down her face. She returned to her seat, Lyn’s wing wrapping around her, pulling her close to the dracna, as she began to cry. “I’m going to miss them.”

“I know, sweetie. I know.”

21