Chapter 13: Springtide Shadows
239 6 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Chapter posted a little late today due to some personal stuff. 
 
Read chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

Spring was a marvelous time for the people of Ethnerta. While summer inspired many to travel the blossoming countryside, autumn would bring a soothing calm, and winter would set her people down into a cozy rest, spring would invite a liveliness none of the others could. Whether it be the lovely fields of flowers spreading towards the distant horizon, or the fresh harvests of the sweet crops the people tried so hard to nurture, there were few in Ethnerta who didn’t meet the season with joyous smiles and excited grins. That was true, save for that brief period when that white blanket was pealed away, and many struggled to sleep for just a little bit longer.

One such pair were greeted by such an intrusively warm ray of light, breaching their windows and dancing upon their blankets until finally tapping upon their gentle eyes. The one rolled over and pulled her blankets over her head, as her lover instinctively pulled the blankets higher. The two shared a set of murmurs before a series of tapping emitted from a small box on their nightstand. It was a song the two adored, which played at one of their early dates. Relia was rather shocked to learn, at the time, that magical devices existed that could save such lovely tones and even play them on a timer. It was a lively and gentle song, one which they loved to dance to. Yet now, it served as a frustrating messenger of the coming morning.

“Uhn,” Elesa murmured as she grabbed for Relia, her forehead resting on her soft chest. “I don’t wanna wake up yet.”

“Mhm,” Relia agreed. “Work sucks,” she lamented as she fought to open her eyes.

“It does,” Elesa hugged Relia. “I just want to stay here and cuddle you.”

“Yeah,” Relia nodded. “But there’s one positive to waking up like this,” she admitted.

“What’s that?”

“I get to see your face when I wake up,” Relia explained as Elesa opened her eyes slowly as she looked up, the soft curls around on her head dangling before her face.

“Geez, where did you learn to become such a sweet talker?” Elesa asked as she basked in Relia’s own beautiful visage.

“What can I say,” Relia giggled, gently tracing Elesa’s chest with her finger. “You’ve been an excellent teacher.”

“Heh, is that so?” Elesa stretched, as she emerged from the covers.

“Aww, no more cuddles?” Relia frowned.

“Not right now,” Elesa grinned. “Tonight, though you’ll get as many as you’d like, birthday girl.”

Relia blushed. “Gosh, I’ll be turning 19 this year, won’t I. Which means…” she began to frown.

“Thinking about your dad again?”

“Yeah. I haven’t seen him in nearly five years now,” Relia whimpered. “I hope he’s okay. Mom too. We still haven’t learned anything about where she vanished to either.”

“I’m sure they’re both fine,” Elesa smiled as she moved her fingers in a delicate motion, a set of clothes emerging from a nearby closet. “Here, get dressed,” she tossed a multi-colored dress to Relia. “You promised me you’d wear that today, remember?”

“You really do love it, huh,” Relia giggled as she fiddled the vibrant silky cloth of mixing pinks, greens, and blues. “Not that I can disagree. I can almost smell the sea breeze coming off of them. We should try going back there some time.”

“Only if we get to stop by that archipelago along the way. I can’t stop thinking about that rice and fish stuff we had,” Elesa began to disrobe.

“I think they called it sushi. I’m still not sure what was better, eating it or feeding it to you. Although, their chefs are pretty high up there too,” Relia laughed.

“Ugh, we really should stop talking about food like this in the morning,” Elesa slumped. “It always gets me super hungry,” she pulled her dress over her head.

“Oh, no,” Relia giggled. “If you don’t get food soon, I’ll be left to feed you myself,” Elesa blushed.

“It was one time,” Elesa objected as Relia finished putting on her clothes.

“Yeah, and it was super cute,” Relia said entering the bathroom. She motioned, circling her fingers around as if to turn something, magically tugging at a nearby case prompting a variety of brushes to emerge from it, each applying a variety of different types of make up to her face.

“It was embarrassing for me,” Elesa pouted. “Phora still brings it up when I see her,” she followed Relia’s motions, more brushes emerging to decorate her face.

“Oh yes, that reminds me,” Relia giggled. “She’s dating that cute buna girl, right?”

“Sure is,” Elesa chuckled. “Her name’s Honey. Watching them flirt is just so…” she quietly giggled to herself.

“Well, hopefully we’ll get to see them soon,” Relia said as they began to head out of the house. Elesa locking up. “So, shall we be on our way?”

“Not quite yet,” Elesa said, scooping Relia into her arms, the girl’s colorful sea colored dress fluttering with anticipation, as Elesa’s own deep red dress seemed to envelop it with intent, like the sunrise overtaking the ocean’s surface.

Elesa held Relia before her, the woman looking up into her sparkling luscious blue eyes. Their lips connected, Relia moaning with glee as a tingle passed through her body.

“That’s not fair,” Relia giggled. “You’re using magic again, aren’t you? Trying to give me that nice current, how am I supposed to compete with that?”

“That’s just your imagination dear,” Elesa giggled as she played with Relia’s dark blue locks, winding them between her fingers. “I wouldn’t do that… this early in the morning.”

“Mm,” Relia nodded. “True, you are rather electrifying on your own.”

The two continued to flirt as they walked down the quiet streets and the morning sun warmed the cobblestone path, others slowly emerging from their homes to go about their day.

“It’s rather nice that we’re both doing stuff at the castle today,” Relia grinned.

“It really is,” Elesa smiled. “Now if only none of the towers need either of us this time.”

“That reminds me, you were at the South tower yesterday, right?”

“Yeah,” Elesa nodded. “They were having some weird issues with their mana detection equipment. They said they were getting some strange responses towards the Southern border.”

“You mean where…” Relia looked at her concernedly.

“Yeah, Luxur’s border,” Elesa confirmed, Relia beginning to frown. “Hey now, I’m sure everything is alright. They seemed a little calmer after I left. And…” she stopped as the two entered the castle gates, a familiarly large man standing in their way.

“Sir Hershel?” Relia looked to the large knight.

“Ah, Relia,” he gave her a soft smile… suspiciously soft. Relia recognized the strange softness, and the familiar wear in his eyes. She had seen it several times now as she trained her healing spells. The eyes of someone concealing their pain.

“What’s wrong Hershel?” Relia asked.

“Nothing, my lady,” Hershel shook his head.

“None of that now,” Elesa crossed her arms. “You know full well that Relia won’t fall for that.”

Hershel sighed. “And neither will you. You two are really tight like that, aren’t you?”

“Not so fast there,” Elesa scowled. “You’re not changing the subject like that. Now spill it, what’s wrong.”

“I…” Hershel grimaced.

“It’s alright Hershel,” another familiar voice called from behind him, the three looking to the approaching princess, as her extravagant purple dress fluttered behind her.

“Lubella,” Relia smiled. It always impressed her just how much Lubella had changed these last several years. The brash and direct princess had learned a degree of restraint. Although that did little for her mischievous scheming and direct nature. If anything, it only made her more dangerous in those regards, as she was able to focus her intentions more easily now. Yet it also made her even more elegant, many of the castle staff often remarking how she had begun to resemble her mother, although the queen and Lubella would often laugh at the sentiment. Regardless, seeing the princess always brought her joy. “How are you this morning, princess?”

“Quite well, thank you,” Lubella smiled. “Now then, Hershel. I have every intent to share with these two what we have learned.”

“But princess,” Hershel shook his head. “Relia and Elesa are not fighters, and…”

“Hershel, they need to know,” Hershel blinked. “Relia in particular.”

“Me?” Relia gawked. “Wait, does this concern my mother?”

“I’m afraid not,” Lubella shook her head. “For now, please follow me,” Lubella led them into the palace. As they entered, they saw some other familiar faces, including a few of their old teachers, Lancia among them, who gave them a subtle nod. “I have brought Sir Hershel, as well as Lady Elesa and Lady Relia,” Lubella announced. “Shall we begin?”

“As much as it pains me to do so,” Rosaria lamented. “Everyone, please direct your attention to the center of the chamber. Lancia, if you would,” Lancia nodded as she advanced toward the center of the room. She spun mana from her hands, light tracing through the air as the floor began to rise to answer the light’s call forming a pillar with a vibrant map engraved into it, given life with the flash of numerous colorful lights.

“This is a map of Ethnerta,” Lancia explained. “As you can see, it illustrates the flow of mana in our kingdom,” she explained. “Mana freely flows throughout our lands, in no small part thanks to witches who help regulate it in the towns and cities that they live in. The South Tower in particular keeps a careful eye on them to watch over the mana distribution, to ensure we don’t prompt a drought or over saturate the land with it.”

“All seems rather typical,” one of the witches commented, one which Relia recognized to be Honey’s mother, Syrup, her bright pink hair bouncing in place as she eyed the map. “There’s some slight fluctuation, but that’s typical for this time of year, right?”

“Normally yes,” Lancia nodded. “However, this map is showing how it was a few days ago. Before yesterday happened,” she explained as her fingers danced around again. “Then this happened,” the light at the bottom of the map began to dim.

“What is…?” yet another witch stammered.

“At first we believed it to be faulty equipment,” Queen Rosaria sighed. “But thanks to Elesa’s troubleshooting, we quickly discovered it wasn’t. We began to suspect foul play and dispatched some knights there shortly thereafter,” she frowned.

“Your highness?” Relia looked to the queen worriedly as the other witches began to whisper with their suspicions.

“Unfortunately, once they arrived, the found much of the closest village to the epicenter had been slaughtered,” the queen explained, the room going quiet with shock. Relia looked around, noticing a distinct lack of knights around. In fact, thinking back, she hadn’t seen the king’s transport near the gates where it was usually kept.

“Um, your highness,” Relia spoke up. “Is the king…?”

“Yes, my dear,” Rosaria nodded. “King Brayer has already departed with a number of knights to address the situation.”

“Wait, then why have you called for us?” Syrup asked the other witches once again murmuring their concerns.

“For two reasons,” Lubella answered. “The first is that the mana in the region has continued to destabilize. We’ve attempted some corrective measures, but it is as if the some deeper wound has been caused to it,” she frowned as the others continued their background chatter. “The other,” she glanced towards Relia then looked to Corva along the side, who nodded.

“The group of knights that was initially investigating have seemed to disappear,” Corva stepped forward. “But before they did so, they encountered something and sent a familiar back to the castle,” she raised her arm, a crow flying from the rafters and landing upon her forearm, and pulled a note from her pocket. “It says that they encountered an enemy force, whom they believe responsible,” Corva sighed. “They identified them as part of Luxur’s army,” Relia’s eye began to widen with horror. “They were being led by the crown prince, Zerto. The letter says a few other things, but they’re more relevant to the knights who already received the information,” she frowned, Relia shaking as she began to process the information.

“Does this mean we’re going to war?” a concerned witch’s voice shook.

“But why would they attack?” another asked.

“Those bastards,” yet another spat.

“Please, calm yourselves,” Rosaria pleaded, the room quieting at her command. “I understand and share your fears. We are investigating the matter, but I will not lie to you. It looks as though war is at our border,” the collective witches all seemed to tremble with horror. “I ask that you all make the necessary preparations. While I hope to avoid it, should the king fail in defending Ethnerta, and by extension Enzara, it falls to us to protect our country,” she lamented. “We must be prepared to fight and protect this place and our people.”

A somber energy of resolution filled the room as the meeting continued, although Relia could do little to pay attention, as horror squirmed in her head. Zerto. He killed an entire village? Why? For what purpose? She trembled in place, trying hard not to let her fears overwhelm her. Finally, a soft grasp fell upon her shoulder. She looked up. “Elesa…”

“Come on,” Elesa smiled. “Let’s get some fresh air,” she said, Relia giving a quiet nod as she led her outside.

* * *

Relia’s sobs echoed through the hallway, filling them with what felt like to Elesa to be a thick sea of sorrow. Elesa held her as warm tears poured upon her chest, as Relia muttered her sorrows. The young woman could not understand it. Why had her friend done this? What was he doing? What drove him to this. Elesa quietly pet her head in a vain effort to soothe her crying love, only for the tears to continue unimpeded.

Footsteps clattered down the hall, as Lubella approached, the princess looking upon her heartbroken friends with equal sorrow. “I see she’s taking it rather hard,” Lubella frowned.

“Yeah,” Elesa nodded. “Zerto was her friend. She really loved and respected him as a friend and comrade,” she tightened her hug around Relia. “And now he’s come to attack her new home,” Elesa shook her head. “That kind of betrayal would hurt anyone.”

Lubella sighed. “I didn’t want to say this in front of the others, but it’s worse than either of you realize.” Elesa blinked as she looked up in confusion. Relia clenching in her grasp as the girl tried to grasp Lubella’s words. She rose up, her puffy eyes looking at Lubella pleadingly. “I’m sorry,” Lubella apologized. “But Corva learned something else. Something mother and I ordered her to keep silent about.”

“Lubella?” Elesa blinked.

“W-what do you mean?” Relia asked.

“I’ll…” Lubella frowned. “I’ll just give it to you as simply as I can. Corva’s familiar heard something before it left. Something that wasn’t in the letter,” she explained, looking directly to the couple. “It overheard Zerto demanding to know ‘where his friend is,’” she frowned.

Elesa blinked as she looked to Relia, watching her eyes bulge open, filling with despair. “Relia?”

“This… this is all my fault?” Relia asked. “He’s killing people because he wants to find me? I’m the reason that…”

“Stop right there!” Elesa snapped. “You are not responsible for this. Do you understand me!?” she gripped Relia’s shoulders. “You didn’t decide this. You didn’t ask for this. He’s the one killing them, not you.”

“But, he’s looking for me,” Relia sobbed. “Maybe if I…”

“I said stop!” Elesa hugged her. “Please, don’t do this,” she began to cry. “I don’t want you hurting yourself like this. It’s not your fault. And don’t you dare suggest turning yourself over,” she tightened her grip. “I won’t let you go. I won’t.”

“Elesa,” Relia cried into her shoulder.

“I’m sorry,” Lubella looked upon them. “I should’ve waited,” she frowned. “I wish I could have...”

The two froze. “Lubella?” Elesa trembled. “What do you mean by that?”

Lubella took a deep breath. “Mother and I, we talked about what to do. And we both came to an understanding,” she frowned.

“You’re not turning her over!” Elesa glared.

“We would never consider that,” Lubella snapped, Elesa loosening her grip as she sighed in relief. “However,” she frowned again. “Neither of us believe it is safe to keep her here.”

“What does that mean?” Elesa asked.

“If she stays here, and if he finds out, then that would put the entire city at risk,” Lubella explained. “So, we decided it would be better for Relia to go into hiding for now until we can figure what else to do.”

“Hide? Hide where exactly!?” Elesa clenched her fist. “She’s safest here! Where WE can protect her!”

Lubella shook her head. “That may be true, but we cannot deny the other risks. That said, we do have a villa prepared for such emergencies. None know where it is, and she will be safe there. I promise.”

“I…” Elesa’s voice shook. “Okay, but I’m going with her.”

Lubella continued to frown. “I’m sorry Elesa, but we need you here. We need your prowess to help protect the city and our people.”

“I’m not leaving her!” Elesa barked. “I’m…”

“Elesa, please,” Lubella begged. “Please, listen to reason.”

“No! She’s already had to be alone for long enough! She’s already given up so much just to be here! I’m not…”

“Elesa,” Relia placed her hand on Elesa’s cheek. “It’s okay,” she smiled.

“But Relia,” she looked upon her love pleadingly.

“I’ll be okay,” Relia smiled. “And Lubella’s right. I don’t want anyone here to get hurt. Especially not over me. That… that would…” she sniffled. “But it’ll be okay. You, Lubella, Lancia, Queen Rosaria, I believe in all of you.”

Elesa frowned, looking into her love’s shimmering eyes the looking to Lubella who frowned back, her cheeks shining with tears, then her gaze dropped to the floor. She took a deep breath and looked back to Relia. “Okay,” she conceded. “But you have to promise me she’ll be safe,” she glared at Lubella.

“I promise,” Lubella bowed. “On my word as Princess, Relia’s friend, and your best friend,” she smiled. “I promise she’ll be safe.”

15