Chapter 18: Dawn and Dusk
183 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This chapter is a little heavy

CW:

Spoiler

This chapter contains depictions/implications of significant dysphoria, abuse, and identity death.

[collapse]

Read up to 3 chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

 

The morning sun began to pierce through the canopy of trees, warming the damp air of the woods. The flowers perked up once more, enjoying the mid-spring sun. The quiet village of Remnis quietly stirred to life as the farmers began their day’s work in earnest. The town was full of the combatting smells of fresh manure and blossoming flowers, the advantage determined by the fickle impulse of the passing breeze. They toiled on, all the while remaining ignorant of the large tower in the forest beyond their homes.

Wisveil Tower had stood upon the land far longer than the townsfolk could have ever imagined. The sanctuary’s origins had been lost to all who roamed the land, even its residents. However, over its existence, it had become the home of many a people, and all manners of knowledge made their rest within her walls for safe keeping. At its foot stood an equally old forest, which it had watched over for countless years, and countless springs. Like many a year before, the forest sprang to life, filling with new foliage and the renewed scampering of hungry critters which scoured its premises for all forms of delicious bounties.

Overlooking the forest were several large windows that spanned the tower’s walls. Along one of them was a dracna, her shivering blue wings steadily bobbing as she carried out her maidly duties. Lyn quietly dusted a decorative pot beside the massive window as she eyed the beautiful tide of spring continue to wash over the quiet abode. She always had complicated feelings about the season. It was pleasant enough for her, and the scenery was something she particularly enjoyed, but the growing heat and pollen tended to disagree with her icy powers and sensitive nose. A loud sneeze echoed through the halls as a frustrated shiver signaled that spring had entered its more agitating latter half.

“You alright Lyn?” Aria asked. “That one sounded like it hurt.”

“I shall… shall… sha-achoo!” she sneezed again, a chilling puff of air expelled through her nose, the maid blushing at the fine layer of ice covering the carpet.

“I have no idea why you insist on refusing the medicine I prepared,” Relia sighed.

“It is rather embarrassing to rely on you little miss,” Lyn admitted.

“Come now, while I may be young to your kind, I am hardly the young girl you doted on,” Relia giggled.

“I know,” Lyn sighed. “Very well, you win,” she relented.

“Geez,” Aria chuckled. “I think I’m going to miss your little spats when we leave,” she grinned.

“It is not that humorous,” Lyn grumbled. “Regardless, it will be a shame to see you two leave. I have gotten quite attached to your presence these past few months.”

“As will I,” Relia smiled gently as she approached Aria. She gently brushed a lock of the girl’s hair, tucking it behind her ear. The young woman blushed as she shifted in place, anxiously grabbing at her dress. “I am going to miss this. Having a pair of girls to watch over has been really nice.”

“Miss Relia,” Aria frowned. “You wanted that kind of life with her, didn’t you?”

“I did,” Relia admitted. “And I can tell from looking at you two that you want similar one day,” Aria slowly nodded. “Then be sure to do your best out there, okay?”

“Of course,” Aria nodded. “I’m not like I was back then,” she curled her fist as she rested it below her chest. “Back in Gelin, I did something horrible. In my guilt, I tried to needlessly sacrifice myself to stop Iris. Back then I didn’t even understand why I felt the need to do it, but now, I know I won’t ever do that again,” she smiled. “And I have you all to thank for that.”

Relia shook her head. “We may have helped, but it was you and Saya that worked through that together, not me. It’s okay to own that.”

“Yeah,” Aria smiled softly. “You’re right. But I do have to thank you for giving me the time and space to realize that. After all, you did help, so you deserve some credit too,” she grinned.

“You’re welcome,” Relia beamed. “Before you leave though, there’s something I would like you to have,” she explained, waving Aria towards her room.

Meanwhile, down in the library, Saya sat upon a couch, Lubella sitting beside her as she set down a cup of tea. “Still though,” Lubella looked to Saya. “I doubt that the witchbanes will be a problem.”

“I suppose you are right,” Saya sipped from her own cup. “They did not brandish them when they chased us from the cathedral.”

“Like I said, we never got the chance to really study the weapons,” Lubella brought her hand to her mouth, “but from what I could observe back then, they seemed rather unstable. If they tried using them, it could disrupt the mana of the cathedral itself. However…”

“Places such as Ethnerta and Luxur are acceptable losses for them to use such weapons,” Saya sighed. “It is little wonder that Lady Lumina opposed such a cruel system that could produce such hideous weapons.”

“At least you should not have to concern yourself with them for now,” Lubella reassured her.

“Yes, with Revalsia at our side and the witchbanes removed from the equation, we should be fine,” Saya agreed. “However, it is after we save them that concerns me. Do you think Zerto would be willing to endanger his people like that?”

“I wouldn’t put it past him. We are talking about a man who let his own desires for revenge put your mother into the position of queen. Then, as a result of his petty grudge, he’s attempted to manipulate his witch born daughters as he has. Frankly, much of the logic and outcomes of this continue to leave me rather mystified. I can imagine a grudge beginning this, but much else still seems suspicious.”

“Relia’s story provided me much insight,” Saya added, “but I feel as though we are still missing some critical information. Perhaps mother will know more.”

“All the more reason to save her,” Lubella chuckled.

“Yes,” Saya nodded. “Speaking of, I wonder what is taking them so long.”

“Well, it looks like you’re about to have your answer,” Lubella looked to the hall as Aria, Relia, and Lyn emerged. Saya’s eyes twinkled as she beheld Aria’s sparkling armor. It resembled her old Lumina armor, a silver white color with bold red accents, now outlined with a stunning line of bronze.

“Aria,” Saya approached her, unable to hide her blush.

“What do you think?” Aria eagerly grinned resting her face on her right forefinger.

“It is reminiscent of your old armor, but there is something just…”

“Empowering about it?” Aria winked. Saya shook her head, much to Aria’s confusion.

“Alluring,” Saya looked to her eagerly, Aria’s cheeks filling with a gleeful red as her lips perked up, much like the blossoms outside. “But…” Saya looked to her concernedly. “I thought you left your Lumina armor behind out of fear that it would draw attention to us.

“I designed this armor with that in mind, actually,” Relia grinned.

“You made this Relia?” Saya asked.

“It was a group project, actually,” Lubella grinned.

“It took quite a lot of work, but it came out really well,” Lyn nodded.

“And don’t concern yourself with how it looks,” Relia nodded to Aria, who nodded back before touching a jewel in the center of her chest plate. The armor began to dull, adopting a more plain style of typical plate armor. “Thanks to Aria’s own mana, this armor can change forms.”

“That is incredible,” Saya excitedly pumped her arms.

“Right?” Aria laughed. “This new power I’ve started coming into is really amazing. And it’s all thanks to you Saya,” she smiled. “Seriously, thank you.”

“Aria…” Saya smiled at her endearingly.

“Well then,” Lubella said, drawing their attention. “I hate to do this, but if you want to make it back in any meaningful amount of time…”

“You are right,” Saya chuckled sadly. “If I could, I would just stay here and talk the day away.”

“So could I,” Aria agreed as they followed Lubella out of the library and back to the foyer. “I can’t wait though. It won’t be long now…”

“Mom, sis,” Saya whispered as they emerged outside. “We finally have a chance to save them,” she turned to the three they had spent the past few months with. “And it is all thanks to you three.”

“It has been a pleasure serving you two,” Lyn bowed.

“I am glad we got to meet,” Lubella smiled. “Now, go show them your power, little Floroma. If it weren’t for the church knowing so much about us…” she began to frown.

“It’s really a shame that you all can’t come with us,” Aria frowned. “We could probably use your help out there.”

“I know,” Lubella frowned. “But the church has been searching for us for a long time now. Even during your stay we had to ward off a couple searches. They may become alerted to our approach should we accompany you. Right, Relia?” she looked to her side. Relia fell quiet. “Relia?”

“It would be dangerous for us to go with you. It may be a poor idea. But…” Relia looked to Saya and Aria.

“You cannot be proposing going with them, can you?” Lubella gawked. “We talked about this. Acting recklessly now would…”

“But I should be there!” Relia snapped. “Elesa. She came for me when I was in peril, and I want to do the same for her,” she began to tear up. “I know it will be risky. And I know it may be dangerous, but…”

“Relia…” Lubella frowned, Lyn gently grasping her lady’s shoulder.

“I still love her Lubella. I should be there for her. I should…”

“Saya, would you mind accompanying her?” Lyn asked.

“I would be happy to,” Saya smiled. “I would love for her to be there with us.”

“But Saya, what if…” Aria began to protest.

“Aria. If I were captured, and you were told to stay behind out of fear that your presence would complicate things, would you accept that?” Saya asked. “Because, I know I would not hesitate to go to your side, even if it meant such risks.”

Aria grumbled as she scratched her head. “That’s…” she took a deep breath. “You’re right, I would do that,” she admitted. “Nothing would stop me from coming to save you,” she looked to Saya adoringly.

“You’re certain?” Relia asked.

“Yeah,” Aria nodded. “You’re both right. It’s only right that you come with us. She’s your wife after all, right?” she smiled.

Relia’s eyes softened upon the knightess’s words. “You have no idea how much this means to me. Thank you, both of you.”

“No, I think they do understand,” Lubella chuckled. “Very well, if they are alright with it, then I am as well. Lyn and I shall remain here and prepare for your return. But if I might make a suggestion.”

“What is it?” Saya asked.

“I suggest Relia keeping her distance from Avtalia until you have made your plan for attack. If we are correct, and they can see her coming, then it would be best to save her advance for when you are ready for her,” Lubella explained.

“So, I would be camping along the city’s further reaches,” Relia considered. “I suppose I would be alright with that.”

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Aria nodded.

“If Relia is alright with it, then so am I,” Saya giggled.

“In that case,” Relia reached into her skirt pocket. “I was going to give this to you if I wasn’t able to convince you to let me accompany you, but I believe this will still be useful for you,” she handed Saya a wooden box.

“What is it?” Aria looked to Saya.

“This is…” Saya gawked as she looked at the box’s contents. “Are you sure?”

“I am,” Relia nodded. “If we get separated, it will allow you to find me. And in a pinch, you may be able to find your way to Elesa as well,” she explained, as Saya held the metal bracelet.

“I’ll be certain to take good care of it,” Saya smiled.

“Well then, if you’re all set,” Lubella spoke up.

“Ah, yes, we should be going,” Aria chuckled. “Oh, but Relia, she…”

“Do not be concerned,” Lyn chuckled, revealing a bag she had been carrying. “I expected my lady to make this request, so I prepared this for your departure.”

“Oh, Lyn, you always take such good care of me,” Relia smiled.

“Be certain to take care of her,” Lyn looked to Saya and Aria. “I will be counting on you.”

“Yes ma’am,” Saya and Aria answered. The three laughed amongst themselves.

“Well then, safe travels, and be certain to return soon,” Lubella smiled.

“Will do!” Aria pumped her arm.

“We shall be back soon!” Saya declared.

“I’ll be back soon!” Relia smiled as she left the home she had known for these past many years behind. With a nod, the three advanced into the forest. Relia looked back one last time, Lubella and Lyn waving her farewell. “I’ll be back, and this time with her beside me, like we were meant to be.”

* * *

The morning sun pried into the young woman’s eyes, the small feminine blob rustling under the covers as she desperately attempted to stay asleep. A noticeable groan filled the room as she pulled the covers over her head. “There she goes again,” a woman’s voice chuckled.

“Come on Iris, it’s time to get up,” a soft voice beckoned.

“I don’t wanna,” Iris protested.

“I brought you some of those waffles you wanted,” her aunt tempted her. A grumble echoed from the covers. The small woman emerged looking at her with pleading eyes.

“Really?” she asked the pink-haired buna.

“Really,” Honey nodded.

“Fine,” Iris pouted as she finally emerged from the covers.

“I have no idea how you and Saya coax her out of bed so easily,” Nerivi chuckled as she sat on the adjacent bed. Iris eagerly sat down in front of the fascinating square-filled circular cake like treats before her. She eagerly slathered some syrup upon them and took a bite, indulging her sweet tooth.

“Aww, it’s not that difficult,” Honey giggled as she wrapped her arms around the back of her niece’s chair, lovingly holding her. “Girls like her just need a little doting to draw them out of their shells,” she explained, as Iris began to blush.

“I’m not a kid,” she said as she took another bite.

“You sure?” Nerivi chuckled. “You sure look like one from here.”

“I’m older than you,” Iris pouted.

“Now, now,” Honey patted her head. “It’s okay to feel a little childish. Everyone deserves that chance if you ask me.” Iris began to slow down. “Oh, did I say something wrong?”

“No,” Iris shook her head. “Just… I really miss mom. She was the only one who treated me like this.”

“Oh, Iris,” Honey lowered herself to Iris’s level and hugged her. “It won’t be long. I’m sure Saya and Aria will be back soon with a way to save her.”

“Yeah,” Iris nodded.

As the three sat in silence, a knock came from the door. “I’ll get it,” Nerivi said, approaching the door. “Oho,” she grinned as she looked out the peephole and moved to open it. “Good morning you two.”

“Good morning,” Penelope chirped.

“Hope you’ve been well,” Reginald bowed, his large armor clattering as he did.

“Come in,” Nerivi welcomed. “How have things been going?”

“Not too much to report, unfortunately,” Reginald grimaced. “The priests are still on high alert, and they’re still keeping a close eye on her.”

Iris sighed. “It’s not fair,” she whimpered. “I want to see her,” she pouted.

“I know,” Penelope said as she sat across from Iris. “She really wants to see you too. But she doesn’t want you endangering yourself.”

“I know,” Iris grumbled.

“How have things been on your end?” Reginald asked.

“Well,” Nerivi looked to the still pouting Iris, accepting the girl would remain silent. “Iris and I have been working on a new magitech.”

“A magitech?” Reginald questioned. “I was under the impression witches didn’t need anything like that.”

“They don’t,” Nerivi confirmed. “But magitech is something they can produce rather easily, and people like us can still use.”

“I see,” Reginald nodded. “So, what does this magitech do?”

“Well, do you remember what we told you about the abducted demons?”

“You mean the ones that were taken and experimented on to bind their wills?” Penelope asked with a somber voice.

“Yeah,” Nerivi glowered. “We believe the church has them, and we suspect that they’ll unleash them upon us when we attempt to save Elise and Elesa. So, we’re hoping this magitech will break their binds and free them.”

“That’s a very kind thing to do,” Penelope smiled at Iris.

“You’re wrong,” Iris shook her head. “It’s my fault they’re in this mess,” she brought her hands to her chest as she began to cry. “I was the one overseeing Ilo’s research. I was the one who let them do this.”

“Iris…” Honey frowned.

“I have to save them, because it’s my fault they’re in this situation,” she whimpered.

“I’m sorry,” Penelope shook her head. “I had no idea,” she sighed. “But, I think it says a lot that you want to take responsibility like this,” she smiled. “Being willing to confront that mistake and try to fix it… it’s more than most would do,” she began to frown again as Iris shook her head, only responding with a continual sob.

“Don’t take offense,” Honey looked to Penelope. “Iris has been through a lot, and as you can see, she’s dealing with a lot of guilt,” she returned her gentle gaze to her niece. “But Penelope is right dear. You’re working on an incredible thing. And we’ll be here beside you, and help you make it right.”

“O-okay,” Iris whimpered.

“Uh, not to sound dismissive,” Reginald scratched his head. “But has there been anything else?”

“Hmm?” Nerivi looked to him. “Oh, right. Honey, you got a letter from Saya, right?”

“Yes, I did,” Honey nodded. “I received a letter from her saying that Penelope’s information was right, and that she and Aria have been training to learn a spell that can save Elise and their mother. And they should be back soon.”

“That’s excellent news,” Penelope smiled excitedly. “Elise will finally be free,” her smile seemed to glow. “I’m so excited to tell her.”

“As am I,” Reginald smiled serenely. “However, I want to confirm. You’re certain it came from her? This is not a ploy from the church?”

“I can,” Honey nodded. “It would be difficult to explain the intricacies of it, but let’s just say that it came with a seal that would be impossible to falsify,” she explained. “To be honest, I was rather shocked to see her emblem again, but I know with absolute certainty that it was genuine.”

“I see,” Reginald nodded. “That sets me at ease. Right, Penelope?”

“Yeah,” she nodded. “I can’t believe it. Elise, soon you’ll finally be…” she smiled excitedly.

* * *

“Mommy, mommy!” a young girlish child called out, a bright smile shining on their face as long light brown hair bounced upon their back as they looked up to their mother, Queen Elesa. “Look what I can do!” They smiled as they opened their cupped hands and formed a small sculpture of a fairy. Queen Elesa’s eyes looked upon them with pained awe as she sighed and leaned down before her child.

She looked on at the cheerful youth with sadness and pulled the child close, burying their head into her chest. “My dear, you mustn’t practice such things here,” she lightly scolded the child. The child sank into Elesa’s warmth, the sculpture melting into a puddle in their hands and droplets fell upon their ear. “Should your father find out...”

“Does Daddy hate me,” the child slumped into her embrace.

“Listen to me carefully,” Elesa said softly stroking the hair of the child. “You mustn’t cross your father. He is very dangerous, and I am unable to stop whatever he may do. It will hurt, but you must do all you can to hide your truth from him.”

“But why?”

“Your father,” she frowned. “He is a man that will do all manner of cruelties to you should he discover the truth.”

“He really does hate me then,” the child frowned. “But why?”

“My little girl, I’m so sorry. He despises the blood that runs through your veins. He despises the blood you inherited from me,” she quietly explained. “Should he discover the truth, I do not know what he will do, but I am certain it will be horrible and painful.”

“Mommy,” the girl hugged her mother.

“My dear sweet Elise. Please be strong for me. Resist with all your might and hold onto who you truly are. That is all you can do,” she pet her young daughter who looked up at her sorrowfully at her mother’s bittersweet smile. “Be strong, Elise.”

* * *

A knock sounded from the door, startling the bulky body awake. “Hey, Zerv, you should get up!” a man’s voice called from beyond it. “You said you wanted to study before our meeting, remember?”

The bulky form sighed. “I hear you, Jerrold. I’m up,” they answered, the man beyond the door giving an affirming grunt before the sound of his footsteps carried him away. They looked at their grotesquely large hands and sighed. It was the same. It was always the same. Waking up, trapped in this prison of a body. Hideously huge, unbearably rough, and simply abhorrent. Zerv. That was the name of this body. And it was a damning curse to Elise, the girl within.

She took a deep breath as she rose from the bed, scratching her stroobly bedhead. She fought to have it even this length, falling just below her earlobes. She was told it was a fighting hazard to have it grow any longer, but she knew the truth, the real reason. “Time to get up and get ready,” she sighed again. She had asked her friend… perhaps comrade was the better term. She asked him to awaken her early so she could study her briefings, but that was a lie. It was always a lie. All of it was a lie. She could never voice why she had to wake up so early, or why she had him remind her. It was necessary for her to confront the day. It was necessary for her to hide yet another day.

“I am a man,” she chanted to herself reassuringly, picking up the facade for another day, her mind ached at the phrase as she beat it into form. She looked into the mirror and winced. It was another one of those mornings after all, as if the nostalgic dream wasn’t enough of a sign. She gripped her muscular form as she looked into the mirror, her arms crossing below defined pecs as she beheld the manly body’s reflection.

On the other side was something wholly different, betraying the stoic pose with a meek feminine one, matched by the soft weary face of a girl looking back. Her long lavender hair fell over her shoulder and upon her breasts before being caught by her own crossed arms. Her lips were trembling as her pained and weary amethyst eyes shimmered with tears, a few escaping. Her gaze was disarmingly sad, a quiet somber reflection digging a dagger of sorrow into the masculine form on the other side.

“I know,” she whimpered, wiping away her tears. “But I must be strong. I can’t show signs that I’m wavering,” she said, trying to contain her anguish. “I have to convince them I’m normal. I have to convince them that I’m a stable man,” she muttered. “Or else I may lose you forever,” she looked upon the girl that was sealed within. These were always the hardest mornings. The days when the seal imprisoning her seemed at its weakest, waning in power. She even found that her deep trapped tears were able to find their way out on such days. But of course, it was just a falsity. The seal was very much in place, but her truth seeped into this form, along with the pain and anguish. “Please wait a little longer, Elise.”

She clenched her hand. “I have to be strong, like mother asked me to. I have to. Saya’s doing her best to find a way to save me. I can’t give up. For her sake as much as my own,” she wiped her tears away. She took a deep breath. “I will not let them take me away again.”

She girded herself for another day and departed her chambers. She wandered down towards the common areas finding her mailbox and retrieving a handful of letters, one particular one catching her eye. After greeting some of her fellows, she snuck off to a secret place to read it in private. It was from a Lady Mystia, a secret penname that Penelope would use to share private information at times. Most of the time it was some form of encouragement, a praise that made her heart dance and her cheeks grow with heat. Today on the other hand brought awe to her heart.

She pocketed the letter and went about her day, filled with new energy. She could almost giggle in excitement. Saya was coming back soon, and she had found a way to save her. It was too good to be true. A few worries and doubts quickly obstructed her smile, fears of similar promises falling apart, of similar attempts only bringing greater agony. But she would not let those fears hold her back, not this time.

“Someone seems excited this morning,” a bored man’s voice noted, grinding her enthusiasm to a halt.

“Oh, hello, Father,” Elise bowed toward the priest, as Father Tromell approached her.

“Hello Zerv,” Tromell answered plainly. “I see you are alone right now.”

“Y-yes,” Elise nodded. “Did you need something, sir?”

The priest scratched his head as he gave her a bored look. “You could say that. I need you to follow me. I need you to accompany me somewhere.”

“May I ask what for?” Elise asked, hiding her bubbling concern with a confident voice.

“A little bit of clean up work from when we had those intruders a while back. Nothing too major,” Tromell shrugged.

“I see,” Elise gave a stern nod. “Very well, lead the way,” she answered, following Tromell through the hall. They passed the main hall and into one of the several restricted areas, a grimace forming upon her face. This corridor was a secret passageway that connected the barracks and the cathedral. She had seen it several times in her life, each preceding some of the worst moments she could recall. They emerged in a rather basic hallway, as the variety of church staff wandered about, each wearing decorations dignifying them as elite individuals. Then finally they approached their destination.

A door on their left opened wide as a decorated priest emerged, sending a shiver through her body. “Good afternoon, Father Tromell,” the older gentleman greeted the other priest.

“Good afternoon, Father Denarius,” Tromell bowed. Elise girded herself as Denarius turned to her.

“And a good afternoon to you, Zerv. It has been sometime,” he eyed her with suspicious intent. Elise gripped her fist. “O’ gallant paladin,” he smiled, “do come in.”

“Yes, Father,” she obeyed, hiding her disdain. That phrase. That toxic dagger of a phrase. It was the trigger for one of their hexes. It forced her to comply, no matter her desire, no matter the pain it caused her. He said it back then too, when he ordered her to ‘hunt down the intruders,’ a nefarious code to stalk her own family and strike them down. At the time, she had little chance for recourse or feign ignorance of them to pass by their trap. And she had to again, desperately hoping that she could maintain the act long enough to escape him and get away. She couldn’t slip now. She wouldn’t fail now.

She entered the room, quickly noticing a number of other priests and priestesses sitting around the room, lounging and talking, all disregarding her presence. That in and of itself was not too peculiar, but why were there so many. It felt as though all the highest-ranking members of the clergy were here, but why? “What is going on here?” she questioned.

“Why, we were simply celebrating our Great Priestess’s execution of the sealing spell, of course,” Denarius said, looking toward a single woman, sitting all alone. Elise fought to quiet her heart as she gazed upon the despondent woman who quietly stared into the ground, her eyes absent of thought or attention. “It took quite a while this time, but she succeeded once again.”

Queen Elesa, her mother, the wonderful mother that fought so hard for her as a child. The same mother that had been stolen from her, bound by… It felt as if the air in the room had stalled into a thick miasma. She felt an extraordinary pressure begin to press upon her as her eyes darted around the room, the seemingly jovial and kind expressions of the clergy around her seeming to sharpen with animosity, noticing brief indignant glances from each member. All save the unresponsive woman in the corner, left vacantly sitting across the room, although the pain similarly compounded with the other stares. Elise was almost thankful that this damnable form stole her ability to cry, as the desire began to well up within her. She mustered a stern look, attempting to push her anguish aside.

“That is good to hear,” she lied. “It is good to hear that mother was successful yet again, although I expect nothing less,” she fibbed, clenching her façade as close as she could. They were trying to test her, attempting to rattle her. They wanted her to slip, express a sliver of sadness and expose the cracks forming in the seal. It was almost typical that they would do this. They had done so much like this before, attempting to make a single feeling slip, all to make certain that the seal was doing its job. She had to make them believe that it was still true.

“She is quite an obedient one, isn’t she?” Denarius chuckled. “She is the perfect role model, would you not agree?”

“Of course, Father. Mother is the envy of all for her dedication to her training and poise. There is not a finer priestess in the land,” Elise agreed. “Just as she should be. A perfect priestess to guide the people of the church toward salvation.”

“Precisely,” Denarius nodded. “And very soon now, her loyalty will only be matched by your own,” she felt his malicious glare stab into her as his lips curled with excitement.

“I do not understand, Father,” Elise shook her head, “I am already a loyal follower of the Church’s ways.”

“Is that so?” Denarius grunted. “You expect to fool us so easily?”

“What do you mean, Father?” she asked, trying to ignore the pit forming in her stomach.

“Tell me, o’ paladin. Did you really think we wouldn’t notice the pattering of vermin witches in our holy city?” he snickered. “And did you expect us to be blind to their conspiring with your oh so trusted friends?”

“I don’t know what you speak of, Father,” Elise replied sternly, being sure to maintain her calm breathing, trying to ground herself. “I know nothing of witches, much less any within the walls of Avtalia. If I did, I would follow my duty to exterminate them,” she parroted the lines she rehearsed so many times.

“Truly?” Denarius snickered. “It’s a shame really. After so much effort, in the end you’re still the same as always.”

“What do you mean, Father?”

“I mean, you’re a poor liar, Elise,” he hissed, his eyes narrowing upon his prey. His malice coupled with the conniving utterance of her name, it sent a shiver crashing through her body, her whole body left to tremble as she looked up at him in fear, her façade fracturing.

“W-what do you…?” her voice began to shake.

“Of course, we’ve been aware that your seal has been weakening. We are not as gullible as you desperately desire us to be,” he cackled. Elise’s eyes darted across the room as each priest and priestess began to eye her with eager malice.

“It’s pretty insulting, honestly,” Tromell grinned as he eyed her. “But, hey, you have nowhere to hide this time, witchy.”

“I disagree, Tromell,” Mother Risia chuckled. “It has been amusing watching her and those witches think they have been able to escape our notice. What foolish whelps you all are. Although, I must thank you for drawing them to us, like the lovely bait you are.”

“No, I…” Elise’s body began to shake. “They have nothing to do with this,” she argued. “Please…” she begged.

“It is no use,” Denarius chortled. “Your time is up, my tiny little witchling. Just like your mother, we have finished your preparations too. It is time to seal this disgusting half of you away, once again. Be thankful, the process is not nearly as time consuming as your mother’s. And then, your abhorrent family will follow shortly after.”

“I…” Elise trembled in horror.

“Rejoice, my dear. Because with any fortune, this time will be the last that this pestilence will ever slither out of you,” Denarius sneered. “You shall be cured of this vile existence.”

“Please, no,” Elise begged. “Why? Why do you have to do this to me?” she cried, the dam on her emotions finally giving way. “I just want to live! I just want to be me! Why is that so wrong!? Why do others get to be happy? Why do others get to be themselves, but not me?” she whimpered. “What did I do to deserve this?” she sobbed.

“If you wish to blame something,” Denarius quietly hissed. “Blame your witch of a mother, for it is her blood that is at fault for your suffering. But fear not, my brilliant paladin, the suffering this disgusting side has caused you is finally at its end.”

Elise looked at him in horror, her eyes trembling with despair. “Please, I don’t want to disappear.”

“But I am not without generosity,” Denarius smiled, Elise looking at him with confusion. “I shall grant you one final day. You may say your goodbyes to those misled fools you call friends. You are allowed to tidy up your disgraceful state one final time. But be certain of one thing. Should you betray my generosity, and you fail to clean up appropriately, he will clean up the mess you have left your friends with. It is up to you if they will be given the chance to redeem themselves or meet the same fate as your family.” His malicious grin cut deep into Elise’s heart, her body desperately clamoring to leave, a plea she chose to grant as she ran for the door.

“Oh, and one last thing, o’ gallant paladin,” Denarius looked to Elise, her body halting, trembling in place as his holy command ensnared her. “Be sure to remain within the city’s walls. I do not wish to have to track you down.” Elise’s sight crashed to the ground as her final hope had been dashed so simply by one simple command. “Now then, goodnight, my child.”

* * *

She stared upon the vast collection of tomes towering before her. Book upon book raising ever higher into the air. The silence and the vast sea of books normally brought her comfort. At times they didn’t, but simply scouring the shelves and finding one to read would often ease her heart. Stunning tales of beautiful women finding love, or valorous adventures of heroes, although the latter had a frustrating dearth of women in them. The select few that depicted strong women, and even fewer that depicted a valiant heroine, like her childhood idol, Lady Lumina herself, would easily banish her unease, even in hopeless situations. And yet this time was different.

She was finally going to be free. She was so close to escaping this dreadful fate. Perhaps she was a fool to believe she ever had a hope in the first place. The letter of hope in her pocket had morphed into a sentence of damnation, a reminder that her life was never hers to do with as she wanted. It was only a toy for those blasted priests and priestesses to contort as they saw fit. A toy that they now wanted to see dance again, and destroy the only good thing she ever had. Her friendships. They wanted her to sever her friendships. The idea writhed in her mind, it seemed beyond her to do it… but she had to. She looked up to the books towering above her, as they formed an unclimbable wall of her ever deepening abyss.

“There you are,” a familiar voice chirped. Elise turned to face the woman it belonged to.

“Penelope…” Elise looked at her with eyes full of dread an sorrow.

“What’s the matter?” Penelope frowned. “I thought you would be happy.”

“Why would I ever be allowed be happy?” she began to walk away.

“Zerv,” Penelope said quietly, looking around, confirming they were alone before looking toward the paladin as she somberly looked out the window. “Hey, come here,” she tugged at her arm, failing to move her. “Come on, please talk to me,” she frowned. “It’s so hard watching you be like this.”

“Then maybe you should leave,” Elise bit, a cold chill filling her voice.

“What?”

“It’s clearly painful being around me. You could easily find other people who would be willing to put up with you,” she grumbled.

“Don’t be that way,” Penelope frowned. “You know that’s not what I meant.”

“Then what did you mean,” Elise snapped.

“Elise,” she whispered.

“Elise isn’t here,” the knight muttered. “She’s never coming back. She’s not natural and…”

“Stop it!” Penelope grabbed her hand. “Don’t talk about yourself like that.”

“Then maybe you should find someone who won’t!” she grumbled.

“Please. I know this is hard, but…”

“Penelope… you know this won’t change. You know I can’t change. I’m a lost cause. Save yourself and go.”

“I won’t! I’m not leaving you!” Penelope argued. “I’ve been with you this far, and I’m not giving up on you now. So, please, talk to me. Tell me what’s wrong.”

Elise sighed and looked at Penelope’s quaking eyes. It felt horrible. The pain she was causing her, her heart couldn’t bear it. She gripped her hand as she looked carefully at Penelope, her words weighing upon her heart. Yet Denarius’s threat burrowed in her mind. She couldn’t let Penelope suffer. Not like that. She wiped the dampness from her eyes. “If you won’t decide to walk away, then I will. I’m taking that choice out of your hands,” she said walking past her.

“You’re… what?” Penelope shook as Elise walked past her. “Where are you going?” Elise proceeded into the hallway, Penelope close behind. “Stop!”

“It’s over Penelope,” Elise gripped her gauntlet. “We’re over.”

“What?” Penelope’s voice shook. “What do you mean we’re over?”

“Our alliance, our friendship, all of it. It’s over. Never speak to me again. Better yet, never look at me again,” she coldly answered, walking away.

“You can’t mean that. You can’t do that,” Penelope’s voice shook as she grasped at her locket. “Please don’t do this,” she began to cry as Elise vanished into the barracks. “Please don’t leave me. I…” She looked to her locket clutching it close to her chest as she sobbed. “Elise,” she whimpered as she looked upon the picture of the pair smiling, her mind desperately clinging to distant memories to anchor herself.

Why had things ended up like this? Why was she closing herself off like this when they were so close? Penelope struggled to understand as she continued to weep, slowly collecting herself as others began to stare. She couldn’t bare it, and all she could do now was run. Her heart could only ache in pain. Why had she lost sight of it?

A part of her blamed herself and her actions. Would things be like this if it didn’t happen? Would it hurt like this had that night never occurred? That night… when everything seemed so brilliant and hopeful. It felt so far off now.

* * *

“You’re sure about this?” Penelope asked.

“I am,” Elise nodded, Penelope sighing as she sat on the magic circle.

“Okay,” Penelope nodded. She gripped her wand and looked to the bulky paladin before her, taking a deep breath. She had prepared so much for this night, gathering the ingredients that formed the powder beneath her friend, researching the configuration of the circle, the motions and incantation she had to rehearse. She went over it all one last time in her head before looking to her friend once more. “To make sure you understand. This ritual will help you see your true form for a bit. Not just see either. You’ll be able to touch, feel, hear, even smell your true form. Hopefully it will allow you to feel better,” she sighed. “It won’t be permanent though, and your true form will be revealed to me too.”

“That’s okay,” Elise smiled. “Honestly, I wish I could show Regi too. I wish you could both see who I really am,” her deep voice filled with soft desire.

“Elly,” Penelope sighed. “You understand, don’t you? If you show me this side of yourself, it may expose you to more danger. I mean, I could slip up. I could wind up getting you sealed again, or…”

“I trust you,” Elise gave her best giggle. “Besides, even if that happens, I’d like someone to know who I really am before I disappear again.”

“Okay,” Penelope nodded. “Then here we go,” she breathed in gripping her wand and waving it toward Elise. “Oh light, gather upon me and obey my voice,” she said, Elise brought her hand to her mouth to conceal a small chuckle. “Remove the illusions impeding my senses and may all you touch reveal the truth,” she chanted, the light from the wand glowing and glimmering before a strong shine tore through the world. “There that should be…” she stopped.

“Hehehe,” a young woman giggled in her friend’s place, her gracious curves bouncing with joy. Her giggle slowed to a halt as she looked into Penelope’s bewildered eyes. “Sorry. You know that the way the church’s spells work always amuse me. Goodness, even when I was little, I was far more efficient at casting that much mana into a spell.”

“You…”

“Sorry,” Elise apologized as she rested her hand on her chest. “I’m not trying to be rude. I’ll stop. I promise.”

“No, not that,” Penelope shook her head. “I just… look at you.”

“Huh?” she looked down, her uncertain mouth opening wide with awe as she traced her body. Her slender form, the soft jiggle of her chest, the beautiful shimmering blue dress she wore, it all brought a tear to her eye. “I’m actually…” she placed her hand to her chest, the gentle movements filling her with an unfamiliar yet all too recognizable warmth. She could only smile as she felt her body. It was right. It was finally right, stirring joy in her heart.

“Elise…” Penelope looked at her friend. She couldn’t believe it. This gleeful happy girl was truly her friend? Elise had always been dour and tired. She could be happy and excitable, and definitely had a girlish air to her, but it felt so subdued compared to this. She expected it to an extent, but this… it was beyond what she expected.

“Penelope?” Elise looked at her with a cute curiosity.

“Uh, yeah?” Penelope nodded, snapping out of her shock, ignoring the quick beat of her heart.

“You just seem out of it,” Elise gave a soft smile. “Are you surprised?”

“Yeah, actually,” Penelope blushed. “I never considered you’d be this beautiful.”

“Beautiful?” Elise repeated reaching for her chest. “Goodness, hearing that…” she shivered.

“Are you okay?” Penelope blushed. She tried to focus on her concerns, but she couldn’t deny it, even uncertain as she was now, Elise’s form was simply gorgeous.

“Yeah,” Elise excitedly nodded. “I’ve never been called beautiful or anything, well aside from mother calling me that when I was little,” she reached for her lavender locks, twirling them around her finger. “It’s a really nice feeling,” she giggled, before looking at her hair adoringly and hugging it close to her chest.

“A nice feeling, huh? Would you like me to say more?” Penelope teased.

“Huh?” Elise hopped in place.

“You’re really cute when you’re confused,” she grinned.

“I…”

“You’re really pretty with how soft and red your cheeks are, and your elegant sense of style.”

“P-please…” Elise shuffled in place.

“And the way your hair falls onto your breast is simply adorable. You’re just so cute and beautiful.”

“P-penel-lope…” Elise’s voice shook.

“And let us not forget…”

“Penelope, stop,” Elise squirmed, as she hid her intense blush.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I…” she shook her head. What had come over her? She wanted to tease her, but... she glanced to the side. Why was she feeling so warm? “But it is true,” Penelope fiddled her fingers. “You really are pretty.”

“Thank you,” Elise blushed with a large grin on her lips.

Penelope eyed her friend, the warm fluttering pulling an idea into her mind, lifting her from the ground. “Come on,” she offered her hand to Elise.

“What is it?’ Elise asked as her hand helped her up.

“It may not be much, but it’d be a waste, just sitting here like this. You should get as much out of this as you can, right?” Penelope glowed.

“Yeah,” Elise said excitedly. “First things first,” she stepped back, parted her feet, and gave herself an elegant spin, her glittering blue dress fluttering around her. Penelope watched in awe as she briefly beheld the extravagant curves of the gorgeous woman before her flow with such a lovely movement. As Elise’s dress sank back down to her sides, Penelope’s heart rose in excitement, taken by the now giggling beauty before her. “Goodness, dresses are so much more fun than any of that stuffy armor or drab clothing that I always have to wear. Now, what should we do next?”

Penelope offered her hand. “Well, we,” she gulped, “could, yknow, maybe dance?”

Elise eyed Penelope’s hand in awe before excitedly grasping it in her own. “That sounds lovely,” she smiled. “It’s been a very long time since I had the chance to, and being able to dance like this…” she giggled happily. The two joined hands as they gracefully swayed in the empty chamber.

“I wish we had music,” Penelope bashfully noted.

“That would be nice,” Elise giggled, “but this is enough for me,” she smiled blissfully.

“Yeah,” Penelope smiled gracefully, “me too.”

“Thank you, Penelope,” Elise eased her head into her friend’s chest as she enjoyed the moment.

“Yeah,” Penelope held Elise close. “Thank you, to you too,” she smiled.

Elise eased into her more, as Penelope cherished the contact. She eyed her friend’s form, a budding desire blossoming within her. “You really are beautiful,” she quietly whispered to herself.

Their night continued, Elise eagerly enjoying her body as Penelope indulged her and pampered her when she could, an eager temptation growing within her.

As the spell came to an end, Penelope felt sadder than she had expected beyond the sadness of seeing Elise wallow in the sadness of losing her true form again. She expected herself to be upset and sad, and she was, but Penelope found another feeling filling her as she cogitated, trying to find a way to liberate her friend, a desire to help morphed by a growing desperation. She continued to feel that impulse each time she saw Elise since, catching subtle glimpses of the girl within, the warmth stirring again and again. She felt compelled, again and again, to try to tease out Elise’s true nature, believing that she was indulging and helping her friend.

She couldn’t help but blame herself, when she accidentally led Elise to slip up, and getting called away by the priests. She trembled and cried with guilt, even as Reginald reassured her that she was simply trying to help her. Even so, seeing Elise wither behind her imposed persona again hurt more and more.

And then it happened, Elise’s eyes regaining that familiar spark and glimmer that she knew so well. It took all she had not to just hug her, the familiar warmth filling her once more, blossoming into something new. As she watched her friend, it only became more obvious to her from there…

* * *

Her heart ached with every step as she ran further and further away. The pain grabbing and gripping her harder with every moment. Her sorrow sank deeper as Elise’s rejection echoed in her mind.

Tears streamed down her face. People stared at her with confusion and bewilderment as she ran by. She didn’t care though. She couldn’t care about anything anymore, not with such intense despair writhing through her.

She barely heard the worried voices calling after her as she rushed through the hallway leading to her apartment. It took all her remaining strength to even stand before the blasted door and unlock it.

Finally, she ran to her room, crying into her bed as the pain sank in. “Dammit Elise,” she whimpered. “I can’t leave you, don’t you understand?” she cried. “I love you. I can’t just give up on you like this. You’re the only reason I’m still here.”

12