Chapter 21: Clouds of Despair
174 5 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Content Warning:

Spoiler

This chapter includes sequences of misgendering, violence, and manipulation.

[collapse]
Read up to 3 chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

 

In the depths of Avtalia, deep within its great cathedral exists a deep darkness, which writhed in its holy light. It is said that in ancient times, the darkness decimated an entire people and city that has since been swept deep within the scarred earth itself. Some called it the Fell Wing’s Curse. Others took to the name of The Devil’s Despair. Yet another name was the Flame of Lament. Whoever you talk to, should they know the tale, will refuse to tell it. But the sentiment remained the same. There was a darkness which once sank the city into ruinous agony. A darkness strong enough to corrupt even an angel.

The legends continue, stating that the holy light of the church arrived to dispel the darkness, heal the land’s scars, and begin a new legacy of hope. That was the beginning of Avtalia, a salvaged land, a broken stone polished into gleaming gems which demonstrated the church’s majesty and might. An eternal light that had vanquished the darkness.

And yet, rumors would spread, of a lingering resentment. Scandalous episodes of people becoming possessed by some wretched force. Some would act with sudden bouts of malice, and harm those around them, while others would regress into monsters, or become demonic apparitions themselves. They were just rumors though. Mere stories to scare the youth and undesirables alike. There were after all no records of such incidents, merely accusations poised by the jealous and slighted. Of course, they were mere rumors. There was no proof, no evidence of these events, at least none that the people could see.

Yet deep within the cathedral dwelled a devastating darkness, kept confined to the most secret and forbidden parts, where only the most elite members could enter. Those who approached could see its effects. Those who witnessed it could smell the vile stench. And those who entered it… would never speak of its horrors. All anyone, save those few elite, could speculate, was that it was confined to that deep dark place, the Restricted Sanctum.

* * *

“Devil’s Despair?” Saya repeated.

“That’s what they call it,” Elise confirmed. “It’s the one they use most often these days anyway.”

“Like Elly said, all we know is that it seems to affect people’s minds,” Penelope explained. “The high priests and priestesses don’t even acknowledge it and just say the Restricted Sanctum contains dangerous artifacts.”

“Keeping secrets even from their own fellows,” Aria grimaced. “No wonder they get along great with Zerto.”

“If the legends are that old, then I suppose it wouldn’t make much sense for it to be from the captured demons,” Lillia considered.

“Probably not,” Elise agreed. “But it may have been where they were keeping them.”

“I’m not so sure,” Penelope said, looking upon the hallway with doubt. “Even if that were the case, given how the priests appeared before, I suspect they’ve been confined to the hidden tunnels. Even so, it is still possible they were kept there to keep them out of sight.”

“How cruel,” Saya muttered. “Treating them so inhumanely,” she shivered. The light in the hallway seemed to quiver anxiously in response to whatever dwelled behind the door. Saya stared upon the door, recalling how it had overpowered her before. “No one deserves to be kept in such a place.”

Elise quietly slowed her stride, the others beginning to pass her. She clenched her fist, attempting to stave off the tremors beginning to envelop her. She tried to calm her mind, but each attempt was met by a flash of scenery, and suddenly she was back in that moment. Denarius leading her as Risia and Tromell flanked her. Tromell would mock her. Risia would shame her for her witch’s blood, and Denarius would merely laugh, informing them of how her impending fate, all while having a deeply unsettling smile upon his lips. Their voices tore into her mind, their relentless chatter echoing in her ear, her trembling arm becoming more difficult to still.

Penelope gently gripped her shoulder, a sudden soothing feeling washing over the young witch. “It’s going to be okay, Elly,” she smiled. “This time you’re in control. And we’re in this together,” she turned her head forward, guiding Elise’s eyes towards the others. Her sisters smiled kindly at her, Aria standing behind them with a confident grin.

“We’ve got your back,” Aria smiled. “Especially her,” she winked at Penelope who blushed a little.

Elise looked to Aria and then to Penelope, their smiles like a radiant sun gracing her skin. She took a deep breath and smiled back. “Thank you, all of you. I’m so lucky and thankful that I have you all by my side,” she looked to her partner, “especially you Penelope. Thank you for standing by me through everything.”

“I was glad to,” Penelope giggled. “And it was all worth it to see you smile like this again.”

“Yeah,” Elise nodded. “But we’re not done yet. We still have to put an end to this horror,” she said, bringing her hands to her chest. She gripped them tightly as they sank into her soft body. “We have to save her.”

Lillia looked to her in surprise. “Sister? What are you doing?”

“Huh?” Elise blushed, shrinking in place a bit. “Um, well…” she fidgeted. “Uh, it’s a prayer… um… mom taught it to me when I was really little.”

“Goodness, you remind me of Iris when she first woke up,” Saya giggled. “That prayer is helping you drink in mana.”

“It must feel good being able to drink it all in after all this time, judging by the face you’re making,” Aria grinned.

“Yeah, um… it does,” Elise grinned goofily, uncertain of how to respond, the others laughing at her sudden awkwardness. “Oh, enough teasing me,” she pouted.

“You make it so easy though,” Penelope laughed. “But you are right though. Lady Elesa needs our help,” the others nodded eagerly. Each one took a deep breath, returning to the moment. “We still have an issue. Last time we were here, Saya became very weak just from approaching the door. What do we do about that?”

“Aunt Honey and I were actually discussing that a while ago,” Lillia noted. “It took a while to figure out what we were doing about it, but I think we found something. See, with everything that you told us, Penelope, we started suspecting that the church must have a way to go in there without feeling the effects of that dark mist, the Devil’s Despair, themselves. And fortunately, we found a seal that I think should help with that. It was a bit too complicated to make them myself, but Honey managed to make some earlier,” she explained, pulling them from a pocket in her skirt.

“Seals?” Saya repeated. “Like the ones that the church uses?”

“Witches can cast our holy spells?” Penelope gawked.

“To my understanding,” Saya began to answer “anyone can cast any spell, given the right amount of mana and control. Average people, like the priests, tend to have less access to both of those than a witch does,” she explained. “That said, I have been told that the way the church’s spells are structured can make it rather difficult for a witch to cast such spells.”

“Really, how so?”

“The way Relia explained it during our training is that it’s similar to how different people may view the concepts of numbers and math. For instance the way a farmer may think of their resources can be more fluid than a researcher who may have a more rigid perspective on math. They may both use numbers to solve their problems, but how they interpret and handle those numbers can be rather different,” Saya elaborated. “Witchcraft is about being in tune with your mind and spirit. It’s far more instinctive and has a certain flow with lots of reflexiveness. Meanwhile, holy spells differ in needing far more concentration, intent, and they have a deliberate structure to them to channel mana appropriately. Apparently, it is why so many of your spells are about seals.” She hesitated for a moment, glancing at Elise, and then continuing. “It is far easier to form such intentions when one is directed at pushing something down or away…” she quietly cringed, “similar to suppressing an emotion, as opposed to how we witches embrace them,” Penelope flinched and Elise quietly looked down at the description. “I apologize Penelope, I did not mean to…”

“No,” Penelope shook her head. “You’re right. That’s how the church has always handled things,” she looked to Elise, moving towards her and wrapping her arms upon her. “I won’t accept that path anymore,” she looked into Elise’s amethyst eyes. “I won’t walk a path that will hurt you like that anymore.”

“Penelope,” Elise looked upon the priestess with gratitude. “Thank you,” she smiled.

“So,” Aria brought her hand to her chin. “Are these seals going to protect us from this dark stuff, er, the Devil’s Despair?”

“That’s the idea,” Lillia acknowledged as she looked to the stack of enchanted paper. “Everyone just needs to have it with them,” she handed them out.

“Wouldn’t it have been a good idea to hand these out easier?” Aria asked.

“Sorry,” Lillia apologized. “Aunt Honey only completed them yesterday, and we didn’t have a chance to talk about it before Penelope came to us.

“Oh, uh, fair point,” Aria chuckled. “I guess we didn’t have a lot of time to really go over that. All that really matters is that they work and let us get in there, right?”

“That’s what I’m hoping for,” Lillia nodded. “This is the seal that the church tends to use for investigating places like this.”

“You did good Lillia,” Aria smiled as the princess smiled back. “Now then, are we ready?” she asked as they approached the door, looking back to the others, each nodding in resolve. “Then here we go,” she gripped the door’s handle and pushed it forward, a wall of black mist sinking to the ground around their feet. She slowly waded through the darkness into the dark chamber, blue flames illuminating it with ominous clarity.

“It’s even creepier than before,” Elise shivered.

“Is this really the cathedral?” Penelope’s voice shook. “This all feels so wrong,” she rubbed her arms. “It’s so cold in here. And this air,” she gagged, “it’s as if I’m breathing in ash.”

“Just what is this place?” Saya asked.

“This is the Restricted Sanctum,” a woman’s voice answered, a figure emerging from the dark fog. “The place where evils are brought to meet their final rest in this cloud of oblivion,” the woman’s dark hair shimmered in the pale blue light, her vindictive cold dark eyes looking upon the seven with disdain. A snide grin cracked upon her face. “I appreciate you coming here. It saves us the effort of dragging your corpses here.”

“Mother Risia,” Penelope hissed. “You… why!?”

“Hmm?” Risia looked to Penelope.

“Why did you hurt Elise like this?” she grit her teeth. “Why do you keep trying to hurt her family!? What are you trying to accomplish by hurting them!?”

“Penelope…” Elise’s voice shook.

“I used to look up to you,” Penelope clenched her hand. “I thought you were a kindhearted person who wanted to help others. I thought…”

“Silence!” Risia barked. “You act as if you are some aggrieved child, throwing a tantrum. All for what? These abominable creatures that corrupt all those they come in contact with? These witches you defend are monsters,” she growled. “If it weren’t for them…” she gripped her hand, as she glared down the impudent priestess who defied her. She stopped, taking a deep breath and shaking off her anger. “It doesn’t matter. All that matters is that this is the place where you will all meet your end. You will not find the Great Priestess, nor will you corrupt her once more.”

“Corrupt once more?” Elise repeated.

“That’s right. You insipid creatures will spread your pestilence no further,” she grinned as she brought her hands together, crossing her fingers to form an elaborate symbol. “Oh lord, grant me thy light…”

“You think that’ll be enough!” Aria declared as she rushed the priestess. Risia smirked as she closed the distance. Aria pulled her blade to her side, readying herself, then slashing it forth, making a horizontal cut. A cut which was halted by a shimmering light capturing her blade.

“What the…?” Aria flinched.

“Aria!” Saya shouted as the sudden barrier pushed her back. Risia sneered.

“…and rend my enemy with your might! Ray-vas!” she chanted, an bright light emerging from her hand before shooting out an arrow towards Aria. The arrow collided with a stream of water, diffusing into nothing.

“I will not let you hurt her,” Saya glared at Risia.

“I see,” Risia said as she eyed the group. “I should’ve noticed as soon as you entered. You must have seals with you to ward off the effects of the Devil’s Despair.”

“That’s right,” Lillia nodded. “You don’t stand a chance. Now stand aside and tell us where our mother is. You already know this fight is pointless,” she stared down the priestess, “we will get our mom back. It’s up to you how we get passed you.”

Risia looked to Lillia, lingering upon the girl’s fiery gaze and then began to chuckle. “I really must wonder what lie these witches must’ve spun to deceive you so thoroughly. Are you perhaps a sentimental fool, or simply too simple minded to see through such obvious lies. So, princess? What did they tell you? That their kind are just unfairly persecuted? That this is who they are meant to be, even as they corrupt their god given form and betray those around them?”

“You…” Lillia gritted her teeth.

“What do you know!?” Elise shouted. “We just want to be ourselves and be with those who care about us! It’s people like you and dad that keep hurting us for no reason!”

“No reason?” Risia growled. “What nonsense. Acting as if you are innocent.”

“What’s that supposed to mean!?” Elise demanded.

Risia grumbled as she tightened her fist, her tone dripping with anger. “Tell me, have you ever heard of the village of Tind?”

“Tind?” Elise repeated. “That was…”

“I have never heard of it,” Saya commented.

“You wouldn’t,” Penelope frowned. “It was a village to the East of here, but it burned down about ten years ago.”

“Because of witches,” Risia glared at Saya and the others. “Because of monsters like you.” She reached for her waist, pulling at something beneath her robe.

“But that’s not…” Elise suddenly felt her stomach churn as a sense of nausea overcame her.

“Elise!?” Penelope yelped as she grabbed hold of the suddenly uneasy witch. “What’s wrong?”

“S-something’s…”

“What did you do?” Aria snapped.

“Don’t worry, I’ll deal with you in due time,” Risia said as she revealed a glowing dagger. Its white blade seemed to glow with a white light. Saya gasped as Aria grimaced at the weapon, both quickly deducing what the weapon was.

“A witchbane!?” the two said, flinching from a psychic pain.

“Witchbane?” Lillia repeated. “What’s that?”

“It’s a weapon they developed to harm witches like them and disrupt their magic,” Aria explained.

“But something does not feel right,” Saya shook her head. “What Relia said… they were powerful, but this one feels more vile than the ones she described.” She took a deep breath and looked around the room. Penelope was anchoring Elise, who continued to fight her sudden unease. Lillia and Aria seemed rather unaffected as well. Aside from the strange feeling she got, Saya felt fine as well, further confusing her. Finally, Risia seemed to stand tall with confidence, barring their way, as if she were biding time. She grimaced. Was she just trying to stall them? If that were the case…

“Saya!” Lillia called out, shaking her from her thoughts. “We can’t let her distract us like this.”

“But Lillia…” Saya mumbled, her fingers curling in her grasp as her heart shook with uncertainty.

“Penelope, we have to help them get through,” Lillia looked to her fellow priestess.

“Yes, I understand,” Penelope nodded.

“Heh,” Risia chuckled, “you think you two can take me, do you? Or do you expect that failure behind you to help you?”

“How dare you,” Penelope growled. “You won’t get away for hurting Elise,” she spat. “Lillia!”

“Ready!” Lillia answered, the two beginning their own chants as mana began to channel through them.

“You think you’ll be able to stop me with that?” Risia laughed. “Two can play at…” she stopped short and threw herself to the ground, quietly damning herself. She had gotten too caught up in the young priestess’s antics that she had failed to notice the knightess quietly preparing her own attack. And before she could react, the proud woman had already positioned herself between Risia and the hallway behind her. Another slash of the blade, and Risia was even further away, Saya managing to make it into the passage.

“Saya, Aria!” Lillia called out, “go save her!”

Saya looked back to her sister, words instinctively forming in her throat to beg her to follow them. However, as Risia rose to her feet, and quickly managed to ready her own attack, she realized she had no room to argue. “Lillia, Penelope, Elise!” she called out to the three. “Be safe! We will be back soon!” She turned toward the hallway, chasing after Aria. “I promise,” she whispered to herself.

Risia took a deep breath. “A shame really,” she grumbled. “It would appear my hypothesis was correct after all. The mental effects are only limited to the original. A pity that.”

“Mental effects?” Lillia glanced back to Elise who trembled in pain. “You mean that thing is what’s hurting my sister?”

“It would appear you are not as swift as that monster you call a sister,” Risia chuckled. “But I suppose I’ll give you points for at least guessing it eventually."

“They called it a witchbane,” Penelope thought aloud. “I’ve read about those before. They’re weapons that are supposed to sever a witch’s magic by inducing a sense of despair,” she grimaced. “I thought such ghastly weapons were just a myth.”

“Despair, what do you mean?” Lillia questioned.

“It is said that a witch’s power comes from her emotional strength. Apparently, a witchbane disrupts that by flooding them with negative emotions such as despair and fear to disrupt their power,” Penelope trembled with anger. “But I don’t understand, I thought that they did it by causing intense pain through contact. Why is…”

“You certainly know how to snoop around, don’t you sister Penelope,” Risia chuckled, summoning a hate filled glare from the priestess. “However, whatever tome you read was certainly outdated. It is true that normally a witchbane must be plunged into a witch to have any effect, but that’s quite ineffective, wouldn’t you agree? That’s why we’ve been working on creating witchbanes that can be effective from a distance. Although, I regret to admit that it would appear that their usability is still limited to the original.”

“Original?” Lillia repeated. “What do you mean?”

“Heh,” Risia chuckled. “It’s really quite simple. Where do you think witchbanes come from?” she challenged the two. The two priestesses looked toward each other with uncertain and nervous looks. They then looked back to Risia, who glared between them. Trembling beneath her gaze was a scared girl, writhing with pain.

“No,” Elise whimpered. “Leave me alone, please. I don’t want this,” she cried.

“Elise,” Lillia called out to her sister.

“You don’t mean,” Penelope trembled. “You did this to her for a stupid weapon?”

“Human magic has always been ineffective against those insidious monsters,” Risia lamented. “I regret to say, we needed the might of a witch to combat them. Admittedly, we had always intended to restore the young prince to his proper form. But while we waited for the putrid thing to let him go, we figured we may as well take advantage of the monster’s presence.”

“How dare you!” Penelope snapped. “Forcing her into a body she hated wasn’t enough? You had to exploit her agony for this too?” she cried. “What’s the purpose of this? I thought we were supposed to teach people to love and care for others? But this is simple malice.”

“Purpose?” Risia’s voice fell to a hush. “You question our purpose? When you side with one of those monsters?” She hissed, her voice slowly growing in volume and intensity. “Are you so blinded by your pathetic affections that you have lost sight of the blight those creatures have invited upon our world? The same creatures who slaughtered my family and laughed over their corpses as my home burned to the ground!?” She yelled in anger.

“But that isn’t Elise’s fault!” Penelope argued. “You know as well as I that she was trapped here back then!”

“And she would have helped them, had she not been confined!” Risia shouted. She glared angrily at the traitorous priestess who began to form another argument, only to be met by a sudden force slamming into her stomach, forcing her to the ground.

“P-Penelope,” Elise muttered as she quivered with pain.

“Damn you,” Penelope coughed. She shot an enraged glare in Risia’s direction. Or at least she attempted to, before horror began to grip her.

Risia’s garb fluttered around her. Her radiant draping gown waved from a dark current, sapping its glow and tinging it with shadow. Her holy garments discolored and tore into tatters as she gazed towards the women before her with disgust and contempt, indifferent to the shadowy mist emanating from the witch bane. “I will eliminate these putrid creatures, even if it means I must shed the blood of you two. And even if it means using the same cursed magic I despise.”

Elise quivered as she watched the witchbane surge with power. Power that shrieked in her ear and clawed into her like a ravenous beast. Had she not felt so drained, the wind’s own howling would be matched by her shrieks of anguish. Yet all she could do was watch in horror as the priestess readied for her final approach.

* * *

The scent of ash filled the air, as smoke billowed into the sky. The streets surrounding the cathedral had descended into chaos as trusted allies turned their blades upon the other. Paladins turned against priests, and priests beckoned their demonic thralls to dispose of their rebellious men. Things seemed to turn for the worst as the paladins struggled against their shadowy adversaries.

A family cowered in fear, a bloody and beaten paladin gasping as he desperately tried to defend them. The demoness simply looked down upon him, her sharp claws lengthening, catching the moonlight in her agile digits. The priest let out his order. She readied her claws, her black wings opening wide as she prepared to pounce. And then, something incredible began to happen.

A singular bolt from the blue shot forth, contacting the unsuspecting demon. She flinched in confusion. For some reason it didn’t hurt. She found it rather perplexing that such a bright shine would have no effect. Then she blinked. She thought to herself about her thoughts. She had not been able to do that so freely for much too long. She twitched her fingers, a smile growing upon her lips as she relaxed, the paladin and family gazing upon her in confusion.

The priest repeated his orders, only for the demoness to direct her attention to him. He called her to kill the man before her. She was eager to oblige his wish, her former master falling to the ground, a gaping hole where his heart once was. The demoness chuckled to herself bitterly. She was not normally the type to spill blood, but she had been pining for this for so long now. She gazed up to the night sky, her fellow demons fighting from the air, until they froze, hit by a similar volley of light. She strutted off into the midnight streets, reveling in her returned freedom, eager to reunite with the others.

In the distance, a lone knight watched on. She quietly sighed as she lamented the need for bloodshed, but needed it was. She readied the tool in her hand, and eyed a few more demons flapping in the night. She recalled the small princess’s words. It took a moment for it to charge up, but from there it was a simple matter of aim and release. She aimed the tool at each of them, a brilliant blue light arcing towards them, freeing their minds from the shackles placed upon them. Her only goal for now was to free as many as she could along her way, she would let the demons decide the fate of their captors. As for herself, she still had somewhere she had to go, and an objective to accomplish, bringing her to the Cathedral.

“You there,” a woman’s voice rang out, Nerivi turning to face it. She quickly drew her sword, baring it towards the approaching shadow. She looked at the emerging woman with confusion. She didn’t know her, but her hair was fascinating, unlike anything she had seen before. Deep blue hair tumbled down the woman’s shoulders and past her chest, impressing the knight. “That tool you have there, am I correct in guessing it’s been freeing those demons?”

“Perhaps,” Nerivi stared at the woman. “What’s it to you?”

“That would depend,” the woman answered. “Tell me, does the name Floroma mean anything to you?”

“I’ll answer that if you tell me if you’re with the church, how about that,” Nerivi grinned.

The woman chuckled. “I suppose either the church really has failed, or you are who I suspect. To answer your question, I am not with the church. I am a witch opposing them.”

“A witch?” Nerivi repeated. “Wait, does that mean you’re Relia?”

“I am,” Relia confirmed.

Nerivi relaxed, lowering her blade. “I’m glad to see you then. My name is Nerivi. I’m a knight and princess from the kingdom of Biosia. I am also to be prince Aurith’s wife.”

“Aurith?” Relia brought her fingers to her lips in consideration. “Ah yes, that would be Saya’s elder brother, correct?”

“Correct,” Nerivi nodded. “Although, now that I think about it, he’s her only brother at this point,” she chuckled.

“Yes, I suppose he would be,” Relia giggled. “She mentioned you before. You came to help Elesa and her daughter, correct?” Relia questioned.

“Basically.”

“Then do you know what is happening? I saw an explosion, and I’m concerned about what’s happening.”

“Well,” Nerivi grimaced. “Just after Saya and Aria arrived, we learned that Elise was in danger of having her seal reinforced, and the paladins were sent to kill her friends and all of our group. We would have sent for you, but…”

“I understand,” Relia frowned, “but I think you made the right choice. Where are the others now?” Nerivi looked towards the cathedral with a concerned look. “I see. Getting in there’s going to be tricky.”

“Yeah, especially since it looks like the front gate is where most of the fighting’s happening,” Nerivi grimaced. “I hope the others are okay.”

“I’m certain they’re fine,” Relia smiled. “If Saya and Aria are with them, I’m sure they’ll be okay.”

“You have a lot of faith in them, don’t you?”

“I do,” Relia nodded. “Those girls have fought to hard to give up that easily.

“Yeah,” Nerivi chuckled. “Those two are too stubborn,” they both laughed. “Oh, that’s right. I just remembered, Penelope was going to try and take them in through a secret passage,” she recalled. “Wait, but I think they needed a certain spell for it, so never mind,” she grumbled.

“A spell?” Relia repeated. “What was it supposed to do?”

“Uh,” Nerivi scratched her head. “I think the priests use a certain spell to get into a bunch of secret passages or something. Apparently, they’re all under the cathedral.”

“Secret passages under the cathedral? You’re certain?” Relia asked, Nerivi nodding in confirmation. “Then we might be able to get in,” she smirked. She approached a nearby wall and placed her hand to the wall. “By gracious light and benevolent water, reveal thy truth and guide us forth.”The wall glowed a gentle blue color, and with a slight touch, the stones began to move, revealing a passage leading into the cathedral.

“How did you do that?” Nerivi asked.

“It’s my own unique magic, Guiding Waves,” Relia explained as the headed inside. “It can provide all sorts of guidance. It’s more for spiritual guidance, but magical halls such as these are within its power as well.”

“Sound pretty useful,” Nerivi chuckled.

In short time, they emerged in a large regal looking chamber. Or at least it looked like that was the intention behind its design. However, it seemed ravaged, the rugs in tatters, and decorations thrown from their homes. “There must’ve been a fight here,” Nerivi observed. Relia clutched her chest in pain. “Hey, are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Relia frowned. “But, this room is full of a lot of pain. Something hideous was here not too long ago.”

“Something hideous?”

“Terrible pained emotions,” Relia explained. “The mana is thick with their terror. However,” she smiled gently. “I think the girls are here because this energy was expelled from someone who was holding them.”

“It was expelled? Wait, do you think that could’ve been Elise?” Nerivi asked excitedly.

“I do,” Nerivi smiled. “But that also means that they’re likely heading towards Elesa now, and I imagine the fights ahead of them will be far more difficult than the one here was.”

“Then we better hurry,” Nerivi grinned. “She’ll need you too, right?”

“Yes.” Relia looked down one of the halls, certain it was the direction of their destined battle, feeling the cruel darkness ahead of them. She took a breath and the two darted into the depths of the cathedral. “I’m coming, Elesa.”

10