Chapter 2 – Magic Academy
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Magic Academy looked like a fancy mystical castle inside and out. As I was in awe by the sight, an NPC approached and welcomed me.

"Welcome to Kilmont's Magic Academy. How may I help you?"

"I want to learn how to use magic."

"Well then, please follow me."

I was led and instructed to fall in line. There are currently three people in line in front of the desk. More came behind me. As I was, inspecting the inside of the Magic Academy, my attention was called.

"Welcome. What kind of magic lesson would you like to enroll in?"

"Oh? Are there specific lessons here?"

"Of course, we can teach magic from 'Basic' to 'Intermediate'. The lessons for the 'Basic' level will take you an hour to learn and it'll cost you 1 gold. For 'Intermediate', five hours and five gold."

"One gold?! I'll be taking the 'Basic' lesson first."

"Understood. Would you like to use our tools for your lesson? An additional 20 silver will be added to your fee."

"Tools? Like wands and staff?"

"Yes."

"Can I see them first?"

"Of course."

A wand, a staff, and an orb were presented to me. I used my appraisal skill for both and to my surprise, the performance of the Novice Orb was slightly better. I declined the offer. After paying 1 gold, I was led to a training area where there are also players. It seems all of them burrowed their equipment. While waiting for almost half an hour, someone entered the training area.

She clapped her hands to call everyone's attention. The chatting players stopped what they were doing and listened to her.

"My name is Sena, a mage appointed to teach you today. We'll be tackling the 'Basic' magic lessons. If you have questions, feel free to ask."

No one replied so Instructor Sena began her lesson.  She began with a brief introduction about how magic came into the world. Magic uses mana and according to her, every living thing in this world has a mana but only few species are capable of using it. Aside from that, every information that she shared were just lore for this world we are playing at.

"For starters, I want you to feel the mana inside of you. The tools that we have provided can help you on that. After sensing the mana, try to let it flow into the tools and imagine a fireball floating in front of you."

Everyone followed her instructions and their fireballs began to appear in no time, except for me. I closed my eyes and focus on sensing my mana inside me first. At first, it felt like a stagnant puddle of water and when I felt a slight change...

"Are you having a hard time?"

"Oh.. ahh. Yeah. A little bit. I can't seem to pour my mana into my orb."

"What seems to be the problem?"

"Well, I can sense my mana but I can't seem to make it move."

"Is that so? Oh, you aren't using the equipment we use huh?"

"Uhh, is that a problem?"

"Not really. Our equipment were crafted specifically for training so that our trainees will be able to channel their mana easily. Since you're using your own weapon, you first need to feel the flow of your mana. Close your eyes and breathe slowly. Just listen to me, okay?"

"Yes."

"Describe to me how your mana 'feels' like."

"It's... like a unmoving puddle."

"Then, imagine that puddle is placed in a container, or a cup. Little by little, tilt that cup until that puddle slowly pours out of it."

 

With just that, my mana began to flow and spread inside of me. It felt energizing. Instructor Sena probably guessed that I was successful so she continued.

 

"Now try to pour some of it into the orb in your hand, little by little."

"Okay."

"Now, imagine a flame igniting in front of you. Yes! That's it! You did it! Wait, don't pour too much!"

I opened my eyes to see a large fireball that almost burned me. I immediately flicked my orb away and the fireball disappeared.

"I'm very sorry!"

"No no. It's okay. Hehe. Now that you can summon your own fireball, try to practice in that dummy. Remember to also use frost bolt and lightning bolt."

"Th-thank you!"

Instructor Sena patted my shoulders as she walked away and checked the other players. Excitement filled me up as I try to control my first fireball spell. After some slight practice and adjustment, I get the feel of how this spell works. An hour passed and I managed to learn how to use magic effectively.

'You learned the spells:

[Fireball]

[Fire Wall]

[Ice Bolt]

[Ice Wall]

[Charge]

[Lightning Bolt]

'

I was a little bit curious on the other players because their spells were a little lackluster. Their movements and spell looked boring to me. It's as if their actions looks robotic or automated. Shaking my head to get rid of those thoughts, I left the training area. To my surprise, there were a lot of players near the Magic Academy's gate.

"Looking for magic users!"

"Possible crowd control mage interested to join our party?"

"We need long range magic DPS for our party!"

These players wanted magic users that badly? Hmm. I'm still not confident with my magic so I guess I'm just gonna ignore them, but that didn't happen.

"Hey miss! Would you like to join our party?"

"Uhm..."

"Our party will be grinding until the field boss you know. We need- -"

"But..."

"We only have one slot left so..."

"Hey hey. Don't force yourself on her. You're confusing her, see?"

One of the players tried to invite me but someone pulled me out of his face.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to- -"

"The little kid is scared now. Be nice. to her."

"Okay. Sorry again."

For some reason, he called me a little kid. He turned towards me and asked if I was okay.

"I'm not a little kid!"

"Oh, sorry. It's just that you are small."

"Got a problem with that?!"

"No no. Not at all. Anyway, you seem alright. Your first time playing VRMMOs?"

"Yes. How did you know?"

"Well, I've been there. Being overwhelmed, don't know what to say, being nervous. I know. I know."

"Hmm. Well, thanks for saving me."

"No problem. Have fun, ok?"

"Wait, can I add you on my friend list?"

"Uhh, are you sure about that?"

"Yes, why not?"

"Well, if you're gonna add me, I'll be able to know some information about you. Like your level, guild, current location."

"Huh? Is that a big deal?"

"Well yes, some players may use that to their advantage and exploit you."

"That's kinda scary. But you're not one of those are you?"

"What? Me? No! Hahaha. But I still don't recommend adding players you only just met as friends."

"I think you're fine. So, let me add you."

Out of the corner of my eye. An empty box appeared. That's my friend list huh? So just thinking about what to do, the system will just function automatically? Then a name popped up. 'Kaz'

"Tyr huh? Ok then. Just PM me if you need something."

 

'Kaz accepted your friend request.'

1