Chapter 85 – A trip to Nostalgia
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Allan POV

“We should be arriving soon.”

“OK.”

The girl known as Lyria nodded while taking a passing glance at me. She had done this many times during the trip, so much so that I could not help but feel as if I was being judged.

We sat across from each other at the back of a steam powered vehicle, a service I often hired when going on long trips.

During our first talk, she surprised me by revealing her identity and her intentions with Atsumi. I at first didn’t believe it, but after she showed those runes, I couldn’t say anything more.

I was one of the few that knew of the aspect of Gaia’s prophetic existence and her eventual death, but I never knew the story went that deep.

We came to a stop not long after, and I watched as she exited the vehicle.

“Thank you for the lift, and allowing me to see Atsumi.”

“Not a problem. Thank you for supporting her”

She turned to step out, but paused for a moment.

“Is something wrong?” I asked.

“It’s strange, don’t you think?” She replied. “To ask someone to be truthful, yet you yourself kept your words close?”

“I’m sorry what?” I replied.

She rolled her eyes and spoke as if what she said was just a matter of fact.

 “To ask someone to be honest with you, yet you still keep things from them. I still struggle with that myself, so pardon me for my patronizing comments. I’m not sure what it is, but I think you should tell her, or at least consider the benefits that may come about if she knows.”

I frowned and folded my arms. A child not even half my age, attempting to lecture me about honesty. Annoyed as I was, I could not help but be impressed. She had seen right through me, noticed the lapse in my focus, the change in my demeanor. The nostalgia one felt when the name of an old friend was brought up, she recognized it.

The abilities of aspects, even in the hands of a non-chosen person, are truly terrifying.

I waved my hands in dismissal.

“I have weighed my options.”

“Yet you think it’s better to wait and see?” I told myself the same excuse once, that I needed to make sure I knew the person in front of me, weave my way into their heart without relinquishing too much of myself in the process.  I realize now I was not being smart or careful, I was just scared, scared of being used again.”

She turned around, and looked at me. Her eyes peered into mine as if searching for something. 

“I wonder, Mr. Allan, what’s your excuse?”

I averted my gaze, allowing her my last sentiments. “Though I appreciate you caring for my apprentice, how I deal with my affairs and relationships doesn’t concern you.”

Frankly those eyes, and her gaze, it made me feel anxious.

She shrugged and leaned away from the vehicle, a smile replaced her curious gaze.

“I see. Goodbye then.”

I let out a sigh and turned to face the driver. 

“A stop at Blue Isle Tavern, if you can.”  

The man looked over his shoulder.

“Blue Isle tavern? On the Eastern coast? That’s quite a ways away sir. I can make the trip, but it’l cost you quite a bit.”

I nodded. “That’s fine.”

I rested my head on the back seat and closed my eyes. If Atsumi needed anything, Eina would be there to take care of her, and if any emergencies arose, that’s what the ring was for.

We drove through and out of the bustling city, out of civilization and through lonely streets nestled under thick greenery. We trudged through fields of arid countryside, crops of all kinds spread over the rolling hills. The main island was the largest in the archipelago and it would take almost a week to travel from one coast to the next. Luckily, the capital was situated on the eastern half of the island, so I only needed to wait a few hours to get to my destination. 

The town has changed a lot since the last time I visited. The buildings were much shorter, rougher, and had the charm of the individuals that constructed them. Now things seemed more uniform, more organized, and a little boring. 

Though one thing didn’t change: a tiny lamppost that would often be our beacon in the night, the sign we looked for when returning from exploring. It had a sign just below the bulb that read, “Welcome to the gate town, Sirens Rest.” 

As my finger brushed against the sign, memories resurfaced. 

A ragtag group of explorers from all corners of the world gathered by the words of a single girl. They all shared the hunger for the unknown, all lusted for experiences not seen in this world.

How long has it been? To think thirty years has gone by this quickly.

For an elf like myself, who expected to live for centuries, thirty years wasn’t a lot, but time went by much quicker than I would have liked. 

 I entered through a small gate guarded by a few merfolk. They only needed a few moments to check my pass before allowing me in. 

The town was exactly as I expected, not as active as Procyon, but still a busy sight as explorers and workers moved about the dusty streets. I considered doing some sightseeing, but I wanted to return to the academy before sundown.

I reached the entrance of a large tavern: another thing that hadn’t changed. 

Blue isle tavern, a popular gathering spot for aspiring explorers. It looked like any old tavern, with drinks, food and rowdiness to set the atmosphere. Made entirely out of wooden planks, it looked like an establishment you would find on the western continent, Norma. 

I pushed the door open and found the seat furthest away from the commotion. The planks creaked as I walked over them, bending slightly under my weight. 

Petite Elven woman with flowing brown hair and gray eyes walked up to me. She wore the classic tavern outfit, a brown dress with a white undershirt, and an apron cast over it. 

“Welcome to the Blue Isle Tavern. What can I get for you?”

I provided her a small token, a mana crystal infused with a very specific person’s mana.

“The fisherman’s special, as the tide is running.” I replied.

The woman paused to take a look at me. She understood the objective, but still needed to confirm my legitimacy.

“Very well.”

She placed her hand on my shoulder and pointed at the bathroom.

I walked over to it and placed my hand on the handle of the door. I braced myself and as expected the space around me shifted. 

The dizziness came and went, just like any other domain, and I opened my eyes to behold a golden sand beach. This was the main attraction of the Blue Isle tavern; the whole reason it was named that in the first place. Only a select few knew of this place and it was a heavily guarded secret. Most get in through invites and recommendations from other VIP’s, but I got in through other means. 

I shielded my eyes and looked around, it had been a while since I last visited. 

The sun bore down on me like one hundred pound weights and the water glistened under its gaze.

A few people, coupled in with tavern attendants, walked around.

I made a note of the time and sat under a nearby coconut tree.

I got three hours to relax. 

I closed my eyes, forgetting about the memories that flooded my mind a few moments ago. 

“Funny seeing you here.”

A voice disturbed my rest, and I opened my eyes, annoyed. I froze when my eyes landed on its source. 

A merfolk woman, long blue hair and blue eyes. A pale face that seemed to have never tasted sunlight. She wore a brown dress under a stained apron and was covered in flour. The aroma of freshly baked bread struck my nose. She looked like any other tavern attendant, with the aura to fit it. 

A façade she crafted to fit in. 

“I could say the same. Does the boss know you’re slacking off?”

She shrugged. 

“I’m on break. Besides, it’s not like I get paid to do this. Anyway, how’s it been?”

“Stressed.” I replied.

She scanned me without saying a word for a few moments before strolling to my opposite side. 

“Ahh, I see. Stress, yes, some nostalgia as well. You can vent to me. I’m all ears.” 

I frowned.

“What do you mean?”

“Don’t play dumb. You, of all people, should know. You can’t hide these things from me.”

I rolled over, leaving her to stare at my back.

“I just need a break. No need to get sentimental on me.”

She placed a coconut into the sand just next to me. The tip had been cut off and a stray sat inside of it.

“Suit yourself, but at least get something to eat while you are here. You look famished”

She stood up and turned around to leave. 

“It’s good to see you again, Allan. You really should visit more often.’ 

“I would, if you stayed in one place.”

She let out a soft chuckle.

“Yeah, maybe you’re right about that.”

With that, silence returned, but with it a slight regret. I sat up and looked in the direction the girl last stood. I never thought a fragment of the memories I tried to drown out would appear to me in the flesh. 

I took the coconut she left and took a sip from the straw.  

It's good.

My three hours passed and I left the domain not feeling as refreshed as I wanted. 

Before leaving the tavern I approached the opposite wall and found a row of framed pictures all under a title written in sticks. The entire thing had been surrounded by gold laurel wreaths. 

Annual pie eating competition, champions

I searched for the last edition, but it was dated from fifteen years prior. 

Did they not even bother to take these down?

My eyes gravitated to a single one. There, a group of young explorers huddled over a table and cheered on a red haired girl as she scoffed down a heap of pies.

I can see where Atsumi gets that appetite from…

It was the situation with Atsumi that brought me here today.

Her previous episode brought to the table a lot of problems, some I wasn’t too sure I could handle.

It was a surprise when her hair changed color. It was worrisome when she fell over, her entire body shaking uncontrollably.

The magic her body emitted was a mix of all her affinities, some I didn’t know, and two that terrified me. Simply calling them affinities seemed disingenuous but I had no other term to give them.

I thought somehow that her body had absorbed that cursed energy from one of those cultists, but after thinking about it, I had to dismiss that theory. After all, people don’t just get affinities out of the blue.  

Her own core was producing this. She has an affinity for that cursed magic.

I bit the tip of my nail as I stood at the foot of the wall.

Does this singularity really exist? And has its gaze focused on Atsumi?

Just thinking about the possibility caused me to shudder.

Then there was the other affinity.

The unmistakable energy that all potential aspects held.

The woman I had just spoken to reeked of it.

Arcanum

The secondary force that existed separate from mana. 

Mana can do many things, but all those things cannot break the rules of reality. Arcanum is the root of reality, meaning if one wished to manipulate or even break said rules they could. 

Most mortals can’t produce this, and those that can, had limited use of it. 

I didn’t know much about this strange force, but what I knew, it is a requirement for one to become an aspect.

I sighed and backed away from the wall. 

So many forces torment the poor child’s body, it’s hard to call it a blessing. She can’t even use some of them yet, they flock to her like flies to a carcass.

Her magical problems were one thing, but those dreams were what really threw me through a loop. 

When she mentioned her mother, I simply thought it a normal dream. It’s not uncommon to dream of deceased loved ones. 

But Atsumi never knew her.

I looked back at the picture, a scene where old friends spent their free time. 

Among the group I spotted a Nephilim woman. Her sun kissed hair, bright amber eyes, and snow white wings were unmistakable features of hers. 

She was the one that brought us all together. 

A noble high blood of one of the most powerful and influential families on Theia.  

A martyr and a kindred spirit to all of us. 

Did Atsumi really meet Aniela? If so, what really are those dreams?

1