32. To Kill a Noble (Part 1)
265 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“How long was I out for?” Rai’s voice was coarse and rough. It’d only been a few minutes since he woke up, but he was worried about Sin. Throughout the fight, he wanted her by his side. By the end, he was scared that he wouldn’t be able to say goodbye to her.

Sniffle. “You... You were asleep for two weeks.” Sin wiped away the last of her tears.

“... You’re kidding right? Sin tell me you’re joking please.” Rai was shocked. He knew she wasn’t lying, but he just couldn’t believe it.

Sin softly shook her head, “You were. Really, you were... I was so scared. I-” She quickly shut her mouth to stop herself from breaking down again. Her lips were trembling.

Rai, still unable to move his body, tried to relieve some of the pain he’d caused her. “You’re one of the strongest people I know. If I could move my arms I’d have thumped you on the forehead for thinking like that. If you’re by my side, then I wouldn’t even be scared of death.”

Sin stared at him with a blank expression, before giggling. “I’m glad... I’m so glad. Next time take me with you.” Her smile showed just how bad of a state she was in. It looked like she wasn’t taking care of herself. Rai felt awful for putting Sin through that. He felt just as bad for not asking for her help when he needed it.

As if she could read his feelings, “It’s okay! I’m only like this because I refused to leave your side. That was my choice! And I’d make it again in a heartbeat. Besides, it’s not like I was alone the whole time.” She smiled warmly.

Rai didn’t quite understand what she meant. And it showed on his confused expression.

Sin elaborated, “The others. They joined me here every few days. Tullian and Lina were especially worried. I know we didn’t get much time to bond with them, but they’re good people. I’m glad they’re our friends Rai.”

Rai smiled back, which was more painful than talking for some reason, so he decided not to do it again. “I’m happy about it too. You know how scared I was that we wouldn’t make any friends? Haha- owwie.” The act of laughter was painful. Extremely painful.

Sin, however, found humour in Rai’s pain, for some reason. She couldn’t stop giggling to herself whenever he got hurt by smiling or laughing.

Rai’s face turned into something that looked like worry. Sin almost couldn’t tell because of his bandages. “What’s wrong?”

Rai almost started crying, “Where’s... where’s mum?” Tears flowed.

Sin hugged him again. She started crying alongside him. “We... we didn’t know what to do...” Sin wiped her tears and steeled herself. “I wanted to tell them. Your mum and Jin. But the headmaster said that you were going to be fine, so it would be bad if we worried them.”

Rai stared at her with shock in his eyes, “But... it’s my mum... she has to know.”

Sin nodded softly in agreement, “That’s why dad is going to send an agent to let them know. They’ll quietly be informed, and then you’ll get to see them at some point during your rehabilitation.” Her lips quivered. She tried to stop herself from crying again. “I’m. So sorry. That you can’t see them now.”

Rai painfully tried to smile at her. “It’s okay, it’s not your fault. I’m sad that I can’t see them now, but if I can see them later then that will have to do.” Sin’s taken on a lot... she's pushed herself too hard... Since this was because of my own stupid problem, I’ll make it up to her.

After a few minutes of calming down, Sin started pouring some water from a jug into a glass for Rai. She helped him drink it since he couldn’t move his body.

Rai let out a satisfied ‘fwah’. “I really love water.” Talking was a little easier now, and wasn’t so straining.

Sin giggled, “I think being asleep for two weeks will make anyone love water.” She sat back down on her chair beside the bed.

A knock came from the door at the end of the room.

Sin called out, “Come in!”

The door opened, and a man in a long white coat walked in. He had long elven ears and a bald face. His hair was wheat coloured and spiky. Behind him was a woman in a long white coat, just like the man, with similarly long ears. Though, her skin was tanned, and her dark brown hair was tied into twin buns.

The man looked down at the clipboard he was holding, then looked back up at Rai. “You’re up early...”

Rai would’ve cocked his head in curiosity, but chose to ask his question without damaging himself even further, “What do you mean early?”

The woman spoke this time, “You wouldn’t know this, but most of the doctors predicted that it would take at least another month for you to wake up, if you were to wake up at all. The other boy that was brought in with you is still comatose, and the situation isn’t looking good for him.” She sat on a chair on the opposite side of the bed from Sin. “The fact that you’re alive is a miracle, you know that right? You don’t know what those nobles would-”

Sin quickly stood up and let loose some of her anger, frightening the woman. The man didn’t flinch. “Hey! That’s enough! You don’t get to just barge in here and tell Rai all this useless stuff that’ll only make him feel worse!” She was furious. Sin was so angry that she wanted to call forth her daggers and slice the woman’s head off.

Her intent was tangible.

The woman gathered herself, “Yes. Of course Lady Raven. My apologies, I forgot my place.” She stood up and bowed towards Sin, then returned to the other elf’s side.

Sin was still mad, but she crossed her arms and sat back down, “Hmph!”

Rai smiled through the pain at her. He was so happy that Sin got mad on his behalf, but he wouldn’t want her to get in trouble for it.

Sin saw him smiling at her. She returned the smile with a cheeky smirk. Rai wanted to laugh, but couldn’t.

The elven man sighed, “Your condition will improve over the next couple of weeks. You’ll probably regain control of your body within the next few days. After that, you’ll be discharged and attend rehabilitation. Until then, we can send nurses to-”

Sin turned her gaze upon the elven man. This time, he flinched under the pressure. “The Deception clan will handle that. If there is nothing else... Leave.”

The man’s eyes widened, but he knew better. He bowed, pushing the woman beside him to bow as well. “Yes. We understand, Lady Raven.” He ushered her out of the door, frustration clearly plastered all over his face.

After they left, Rai and Sin heard the male doctor berate his partner for angering the Princess as they walked away from the room. Sin giggled, “Thin walls eh.”

Rai wanted so badly to laugh; this situation was hilarious. “I hope you know that I’m not laughing because I can’t, not because I don’t want to.”

Sin chuckled, “Yes yes, I’m aware.” She clapped her hands, “Lilly!”

In an instant, Lilly appeared beside Sin with black wisps of mana swirling around her. “You called, my Lady?” She wore a maid’s uniform that looked uniquely tailored to her. Rai could tell she was extremely powerful, and wondered why she continued to serve as a handmaiden.

Sin pondered for a moment before speaking, “Answer Rai’s calls, and come check on him every hour until he can use his own body again,”

Rai’s expression was completely blank as he watched the interaction unfolding in front of him. Eh. What the fuck is happening?

Sin continued, “help him when he needs it. You’ll have to clean him once a day, and make sure he eats proper meals.” Sin’s expression was odd. It felt like she was treating Rai like a pet more than her friend. She whipped her head around and looked at his blank expression. “There there, I told you that I’d take care of it!” She pat him on the head like a puppy.

Lilly stared at Sin. “M’lady. Are you-” Sin stared back at her, with eyes so resolute that even the act of questioning her would be seen as disobedience. Lilly stopped her train of thought, simply accepting that this was reality now.

Rai wanted to die now. He thought that living was nice and all, but the embarrassment of having Sin act like his mother, and Lilly taking care of his bodily needs, was something that he couldn’t quite handle. In fact, Sin was probably crazier about keeping him in a good condition than Reiki would’ve been. Even Aunt Elly would’ve found Sin to be terrifying. The promise with Aunt Elly... I broke it. But I had to, she said it was fine if my life was in danger, right? If I didn’t use everything I had, there might not have been enough time to try other levels of mana output and still live... I think she’ll understand.

A familiar voice came from the couch lined along the wall’s edge. “Hmm hmm. Yes yes. Only the best for my future son-in-law. You will take good care of him, yes Lilly?”

Lilly knew what he meant. If she didn’t do this right, she could be executed for treason. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead as she bowed towards Kallad, “Yes, Master. I will perform to your satisfaction.”

Kallad’s lips curled into a calculating grin, “Good. Good.”

“Dad!” Sin ran over to Kallad and gave him a hug.

Kallad returned the embrace, “How’s my little bug-a-boo!”

Sin stared at him deadpan. “The fuck? Bug-a-boo? How old are you?”

Kallad toned up the drama, flailing his arms as he fell to the ground, “Oh! My daughter! You have wounded the heart of this old man. How painful!” He gripped his chest as if his heart was ripping apart.

Sin just walked back to her chair and sat down next to Rai again. “Yeah yeah, why’re you here then old man?”

Kallad hopped back to his feet, letting go of the melodramatic charade. “To see Rai of course. My little birds tell me that he’s awake, and you don’t expect me to come see him?”

Sin rolled her eyes, “Your little birds? That’s what you’re calling your agents now?”

Kallad was genuinely hurt at the question, “Well, it makes sense doesn’t it? I’m a Raven, and my agents are little birds... I thought it made sense anyway.”

Rai piped up, “Hello Kallad! Good to see you.”

Kallad nearly forgot that Rai was on the bed. “Hey Rai. How you doing?”

“Oh, not too bad. You?”

“Yeah, not bad.”

“...”

“...”

Sin was utterly dumbfounded. How do these two idiots function as living beings. It’s like they share a single brain cell between them.

Lilly nodded, as if she knew exactly what Sin was thinking and completely agreed with her.

8