55. To Kill a Noble (Part 14)
178 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rai scratched his head. Why did he call her an ‘it’? The only movement that came from Mary was her lips quivering.

Rodrick looked stressed. His veins were popping out of his neck, and he kept sighing, “All of the professors have their hands full with the exams and technique grading this week... Rai, I’m going to have to ask you for a favour.”

Rai tilted his head, but he felt sceptical about about Rodrick’s sudden request. “... What is it?”

Rodrick nodded his head toward Mary, “Can you take care of her for a few days?”

Rai blinked. All of a sudden, he didn’t want to blink anymore. In fact, what he wanted to do was laugh at the bizarre request. At the end of his train of thought, however, Rai decided that it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to laugh right now. He thought to ask what exactly Rodrick meant, “What would that mean? Do you mean supervising her in the school? Or something else?”

Rodrick started ruffling some papers, “It’s a lot to ask, but could you host her at your residence for a couple days until I get the necessary documentation sorted?”

Rai stared at him. He softly shook his head, “I cannot. Something like that isn’t a decision for only me to make. I live with Sin, and she owns the place just as much as I do...” Rai sighed, “I can take care of her for the final lesson of the day, but after that I’ll bring her back here. You’ll have to sort out the paperwork by then.”

Rodrick was clearly stressed, but there was no choice now. He couldn’t push Rai into a situation that he wasn’t able to accommodate, “Then that will have to do, thank you. For now, I’ll work up the paperwork to have her identified and granted a citizenship. Fortunately, it doesn’t take too much to get one these days, but the process can still take a while... I’ll call in a favour to get the process expedited. Please take her with you to your final lesson.”

Rai smiled, “It’ll be her first lesson in the Academy.” He turned to Mary, hoping for a response. The only indication that she was even alive standing there was the tear that flowed down her cheek.

Then something happened. She nodded.

Rai jumped. He’d grown accustomed to Mary’s statue-like figure that any movement from her was completely unexpected.

Mary’s lips quivered. Slowly, she opened her mouth. A broken voice escaped, “... T-... That. Is fine.”

Rai smiled. He walked up to her, prompting her to flinch. Rai's heart broke just a little bit, “Hey, you’re Mary right?” She softly nodded again, “I’m Rai! It’s nice to meet you.” Rai would’ve held out his hand for her to shake, but he figured that she’d probably flinch. The last thing he wanted to do was to make her feel uncomfortable again.

Rodrick leaned back in his chair. “Sorry that I can’t be of more help here. I’ll let Joey know what’s happened, and that you’ll be a little late to the lesson.” He stood up. “I have to prepare for my next lesson as well, so I’ll trust you to guide her, Rai. Don't worry though, I'll have a clone working on the documents.”

Rai nodded.

Rodrick left his office.

Rai looked over at Mary, “Are you able to walk?”

She nodded, in the same way as before. “Just about.”

Rai smiled. He aimed his arm at Rodrick’s desk, which was currently empty. Lightning formed. Out of the lightning came a uniform. Rai’s spare. “I’ve been carrying it around in my spatial storage since mine got ripped up before. You should put this on, it’ll help you blend in with the other students. I can store your current uniform in my spatial storage until I bring you back here later, if that’s okay with you?” He turned to her for an answer, but all he saw was a pair of wide eyes and an open mouth. Because of his height, Rai could just about see Mary’s bottom lip. It had dry blood on it.

As much as he didn’t know this girl, he could tell that she’d endured a lot. That Daem Lord was probably responsible for this in some way, but Rai wouldn’t just act on a whim for someone he barely knew.

Mary continued staring at the uniform. Regardless of what she’d been through today, she felt something trying to escape from the bottomless pit of despair in her gut. So badly, she wanted to experience that feeling. The one fleeting moment of joy at the magical display Rai'd just put on. In a life full of misery like hers, this small thing was so beautiful.

Then, this strange boy in front of her created a ball of water! The feeling that she very much wanted to experience was growing stronger and stronger the more that she watched him act, “How... How did you...”

Rai listened patiently for her to continue, but no other word followed. He smiled at her, “It’s magic! I use magic to create water. You should drink it, you looked fatigued. Water helps a lot with fatigue.”

Mary’s eyes were still as wide as before, “Water...” She whispered under her breath. She reached for the ball, which floated towards her. First, she took a small sip. Then another. Then, she stopped breathing and spent all of her energy on drinking the water. The ball moved away from her. Mary whipped her head around to look at Rai. She pleaded without words.

Rai wagged his finger, “Slow down. It’s not going anywhere, I promise. Take your time, or you’ll choke.”

Mary’s eyes softened. She nodded. The ball returned to her, and she took her time drinking the water.

Rai saw her tears flowing as she slowly took sip after sip. What on Zenith has she been through that she reacts like that to water... it feels so unfair. If she ever gets past it, I’d want to hear what she’s been through.

Mary finished drinking what she needed to drink and wiped her mouth with her sleeve. Her maid uniform was clearly dirty, with some bloodstains that were hard to see around the neck area. She burped. Mary’s hands flew to her mouth, and she turned to Rai, “I’m sorry! I’m sorry... I’m...” She started welling up.

Rai could only see fear in her eyes, “Huh? You think that was bad? Watch this!” He placed his palms over his stomach, which started inflating. Rai took in a huge breath at the same time. He held it for a second. Then he released it. BBBBRRRRAAAPPPPP!!!!

Mary stared at him through her tears. She giggled, then winced in pain. The beatings were fresh, and her body was still sore.

Rai grinned at her, “It’s fine to laugh. When you’re with me, feel free to do whatever you want. I’m happy if you’re happy!”

Something showed up on her face that he wasn’t expecting at all. A soft smile. She whispered through her sudden sobs, “Thank... you...” She cried into her hands.

Rai shook his head, “Don’t thank me yet. Just put on the uniform and give me the one you’re wearing. We’re gonna be late to class.”

Mary lifted her head from her hands, “Class?”

Rai nodded, “I’ve got a lesson that starts about now. My friends are probably already there. You’re gonna join me for it, then I’ll bring you back here so Rodrick can help you!” He smiled at her.

Mary’s heart skipped a beat. She was terrified. The thought of more people seeing her in the state she was in was horrifying, “I’m... unsightly.”

Rai stared at her seriously, “You’re quite beautiful actually. Don’t worry, no one will notice you. They’ll all be focused on the lesson... for the most part.”

Mary didn’t know what he was talking about. Still, she felt an odd comfort when she was with this strange boy, “What’s your name?” She managed to force the question out, even though it came across as rather feeble.

Rai figured that she didn’t register it when he said it before, “I’m Rai, I’ll be your friend from now on! Nice to meet you.” He smiled at her again.

Mary nodded. She started to strip.

Rai waved at her, “Noooo nonono, you gotta wait until I leave the room before you change clothes!”

She stared at him with scared eyes, “But... the matron...”

The matron? Is that who she’s scared of?

Rai fervently shook his head, “There’s no matron here. It’s just me and you, and you should never let a guy you don’t love see you naked! I’ll stand outside, just knock on the door when you’re ready.”

Mary was quivering at her own mention of the matron, but she nodded in response to Rai. He left the room, and waited a few minutes. He heard the knock on the door. After re-entering the room, the girl was stood in front of him with Rai’s uniform practically draped over her.

Rai almost laughed, but stopped himself, “Well, it’ll do for now.”

She looked up at him with her maid uniform nestled in her hands, waiting for him to take it. Rai aimed at her battered clothes and stored them in his seals with a signature flash of lightning.

Mary’s eyes widened again, “How...”

Rai pointed at his seals. Mary flinched at him raising his arm, but relaxed after he pointed his hand elsewhere, “These have storage magic imbued in them, so I can store things inside them.”

She wanted to reach for them, but they kept getting further and further away from her. Rai could feel the internal debate going on within Mary, but he felt like it wasn’t something he could immediately help with.

Mary nodded. Rai stood up straight, “Okay, let’s get going then! Off to weapon skills training!” He marched to his lesson.

Mary diligently followed him as he walked. Her attention was firmly planted on Rai’s ponytail swaying back and forth as he marched.

Maybe... just maybe... I won’t be hurt anymore...

8