61. A Brief Respite (Part 4)
170 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hi all! If you're enjoying the story and want to support me then feel free to do so on Patreon!

Patreon is 10 chapters ahead of what's releasing here so if you also want to read ahead then you can do so over there!

https://www.patreon.com/Vertrixx

Phew.” A satisfying meal. It was so nice in fact, that Sin ate until she was completely full. She had to ask for a box to take home the leftovers, which she placed in her special storage. Maya joined the table when they started eating and ate alongside the group. Rai’s body aches were practically gone after eating the meal prepared by Tiana.

Tiana tended to the other customers that would show up every now and then while everyone ate their fill. After everyone had finished eating, and there was some downtime, Tiana walked over to Sin, “You got a moment?”

Sin was nervous, so she looked for support from Rai. His eyes were full of solidarity. She could tell that his eyes were saying ‘go get ‘em soldier.’

Tiana took Sin just behind the counter, and pulled up a chair beside the one that was already there. She indicated for Sin to sit, which she did. “I know this might seem weird to you, but I wanted to ask about that person you mentioned a month ago. The one with scars like mine.” She took in a breath to steel herself. “He might be someone who was once very close to me, which is why I... reacted so harshly a month ago. I’m sorry about that, but could I ask you to tell me more about him?”

Sin stared blankly at her. It’s okay... I can do this. It’s just a question. C’mon Sindyl! Just turn it around on her, like dad always taught you.

Sin took a deep breath. “What... what was your relationship with him?”

Tiana wasn’t expecting the question in response to her own, but she figured that it was fair. “If it’s the same man I’m thinking about... He was the General of my regiment. I just want to know if he’s still alive.”

Sin’s eyes widened. I definitely can’t tell her anything. Anyone who’s still looking to enact Jin’s execution order would say the same thing. But what if she’s actually sincere? It’s clear that she’s talking about Jin, but I think... it’s safest to follow Rai’s decision in this situation.

Sin sighed, then threw Tiana off track, “I’m sorry. I don’t believe that the person I know was a General of any regiment. I think you might have confused the person you know with someone else.” Sin hated lying through her teeth, but for the sake of Rai’s family she would do it again in a heartbeat. She’d never met his mother, but given how fondly Rai speaks of her and how much he mentions her, she found herself growing attached to the image that Rai had built of her.

Tiana was clearly deflating. She seemed to have truly hoped for this General of hers to be alive. She smiled at Sin, which threw the girl off. “I see. Thank you for telling me anyway.”

Sin awkwardly smiled in return, “N-no problem. I’ll go back n-now.”

Tiana nodded as Sin got up and returned to her seat. Even if she does know something... I can’t force it out of her. Besides... they’ll be alive somewhere. I’ll... I’ll do my best to find them. My family.

Sin sighed as she sat down next to Rai. She leaned on his shoulder. Amy blushed heavily. She wanted to do that with Tullian. She looked up at the oaf, who was for some reason super tall even when sitting down, and decided that she’d try another time. She was too tired after today. Tullian, still engrossed in his food, didn’t notice anything. Lina was the same.

Sin whispered under her breath, “Holy shit. I did it.”

Rai smiled and patted her head, “Thank you. You did amazingly.”

After a little rest, everyone decided to disperse and go back to their dorms and homes.

Maya held Sin’s shoulder before they left. “Come by again, Princess. I’ll show you that I cook way better than that battle-frenzied freak.” She pointed over her shoulder at her mother.

Sin smiled at her. “I will, don’t you worry about that!” She was about to leave, then turned around again. “Also, call me Sindyl.” She left just a small ways behind the group.

Tiana rested a hand on her daughter’s head. “You’ve made some interesting friends, haven’t you?”

Maya shook her mother’s hand off her head. “I don’t even know if they’re really my friends yet... but I’d like them to be.” She spoke with a slightly flushed face.

Tiana laughed. “Good. A group like that would be good for you.”

Maya scowled at her mother. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Tiana grinned. “Wanna fight?”

Maya blinked. Then promptly ignored her mother and went into the back. Tiana chuckled.

A customer entered the café.

Tiana smiled at them, “How may I help you?”

 


 

Tullian roared in joy. “That was amazing! We have to go again!”

The twins nodded in agreement.

Sin smiled, “I’m glad you guys enjoyed it.”

Amy frowned a little. “I think we should get going now. We’re all in the student dorms, so we’ll see you tomorrow!”

Rai and Sin nodded. They waved their goodbyes as the twins followed Tullian back to the dorms.

Rai and Sin stood, alone together.

They sighed relieving sighs and noticeably relaxed their bodies.

Rai took a deep breath before speaking, “It’s exhausting being around others for that long.”

Sin concurred, “They have such high energy... I can’t match it at all.”

Rai stared off in the direction that they walked. He could still see them further ahead in the distance. “As much as I love being around them, I always end up so tired afterwards.” He stretched, “Okay! Time to go home?”

Sin smiled softly at him, “I’m glad you consider it home now.”

Rai stared back at her, confused. “Anywhere I consistently sleep is home?”

Sin returned his stare with one of her own, “What does that even mean?”

Rai thought about it for a second, “I... don’t really know?”

They stared at each other before laughing.

They started walking back to the Secret.

Rai and Sin would mention something completely random every few minutes. The scenes around them changed as they walked. They enjoyed seeing the shift in their surroundings, as the men and women dressed more freely and seemed more alive than they would’ve been anywhere else in the city.

After a few minutes of the environment changing, they arrived at the most popular building in the area. Devil’s Secret. The twin suns were nearing the horizon, which gave the Secret a beautiful silhouette, Rai thought.

The queue to enter was so long that it doubled up on itself. There were velvet ropes connected by little poles that acted as barricades between the sets of lines in the queue.

Sin whispered under her breath, “It’s not rush hour so... why...”

Mr. Guard made his way down to the both of them once he saw them. “I’ll explain inside. Follow me, don’t deviate away.”

Rai and Sin looked at each other, both silently agreeing that this situation was very odd, then nodded at Mr. Guard.

They followed Mr. Guard into the building.

The atmosphere inside was way too different from what it was like this morning.

The bars were full. The restaurant was full. The dance floors were packed. The casino was overflowing. More than anything, the private rooms were fully booked out.

What surprised Sin the most was that apparently the hotel section of the building had opened up for specific people. They walked past people who were gossiping about the new VIPs that warranted such a change. All she could think about while they followed Mr. Guard was the people that now resided in those rooms. Who could possibly be so important that her dad would open up those rooms just for them.

They walked into the VIP reception area, which was full of people. The amalgamation of scents was overpowering.

In the room were only elves and humans, and a handful of both male and female succubus attendants. The guests mostly consisted of women dressed in beautiful silk clothing. It subtly highlighted their curves as well as their lack of underclothing. Sin was jealous. She would love to wear clothing like that, but her dad would probably kill her if she did. The men were dressed just as extravagantly. Their chests were revealed, and silk clothing barely covered their private parts. They also had no underclothing. Both of the men and the women were... hiding nothing, one could say. There were guards all over the room, in ceremonial looking armour that actually did cover most of their bodies. The armour looked just as beautiful as it seemed practical, which was more than what most sets of ceremonial armour could say.

Sin was amazed at the sight, and blushed at how hot some of the men looked. Rai was also blushing. He’d never seen clothing from such a culture before in his life. This scene was... more stimulating for both of them than they would have liked. They both shook their heads, trying to calm themselves down. Mr. Guard gestured for them to come to the front desk, which they did.

The pink skinned clerk was working overtime. Her amber eyes darted from document to document. She moved swiftly as she stamped important looking documents, and arranged for rooms for the people in the room. This was more than Rai or Sin had ever seen her do. They were impressed.

Mr. Guard ushered Rai and Sin to a row of empty seats behind the receptionist desk. He, subsequently, went into the backroom behind the desk.

The clerk took a second to wave at them. “Lots of work today, sorry I can’t tease you, handsome.”

Rai cringed. “It’s fine. What’s got the place so busy?”

The clerk shuffled papers together and lined them up amongst each other, neatening them. “You haven’t heard? Well, you’ll probably find out when you go upstairs.”

Rai and Sin looked at each other, confused. The clerk reassured them, “Don’t worry, it’s not normally like this.”

The clerk had a few minutes free to herself now that she finished wrapping up these documents. She turned to the three of them. “I hope you had a good first day back!” She smiled at them.

Sin was stunned. Rai, for some reason, was happy to hear it. He replied to her with glee, “It was really fun, thank you.” He thought about the lessons that he’d gone through recently, and decided to do something that he should’ve done a long time ago. “What’s your name?” He eyed the clerk.

An expression that wasn’t lustful appeared on the clerk’s face. Sin had never seen her make that face before. It was that of warmth.

The clerk stared back at Rai. She’d never expected this. In fact, she could probably shed a tear. “It’s... My name is Naam. Please call me Naam.” She smiled warmly at Rai, “Truly, this day might have been hectic, but that’s made up for it. Thank you.”

Rai smiled back at her as he stood up from his seat, “I’m sorry for not asking earlier. I’m Rai! It’s nice to officially meet you.” He grinned a big goofy grin while holding his hand out.

Naam shed a tear, then wiped it away as she shook his hand with her free hand, “It’s nice to officially meet you, Rai.”

Sin wasn’t sure what was going on, but she was surprised that Rai didn’t know Naam’s name until now.

Mr. Guard came out of the backroom, “Follow me, don’t deviate from my path. I’ll explain it all in the lift.”

Rai was already on his feet. Sin stood up and stretched. Naam waved them goodbye as they followed Mr. Guard towards the lift. She stretched and got back to sorting out all of the documents in front of her.

They got into the golden lift, and Mr. Guard pushed the top button to go to the top floor.

He sighed, “The building is busy today because of the clan of Songs arrival. There’s to be an Aspect council summit in the city a month from now, and the Songstress will be staying here in the Secret until the summit.”

Rai and Sin turned to face each other. They both looked excited.

Sin blurted out, “The Songstress?! In our house?!?”

Rai bounced around in excitement, “It’s another Aspect! I want to fight her!”

Sin scowled at him, “You can’t just fight everyone you meet.”

Rai tilted his head, “Why not?”

Sin raised a finger and opened her mouth to make a point. However, she didn’t have one. She lowered her finger and closed her mouth.

Rai smirked, “That’s what I thought.”

Sin growled, then started tickling him while laughing maniacally.

Rai started flailing about in the lift as he giggled.

Mr. Guard sighed, “Please stop.”

Sin stopped, “I’m sorry.”

Rai was reeling and panting. He’d just been assaulted by a tickle monster.

Mr. Guard didn’t physically react in any way, “Thank you.”

The lift door opened. Mr. Guard led them out.

He whispered to them, “The boss is meeting the VIP now. Keep quiet when you enter.”

Rai and Sin nodded.

Mr. Guard opened the door.

A mature woman’s mystical voice seeped into the hallway, “Oh my dear Kallad. You slay me.” She giggled, “Do show me this huge hidden weapon of yours, and I’ll provide a fitting scabbard.”

Rai and Sin stared at each other. They cringed. Heavily.

Hi all! If you're enjoying the story and want to support me then feel free to do so on Patreon!

Patreon is 10 chapters ahead of what's releasing here so if you also want to read ahead then you can do so over there!

https://www.patreon.com/Vertrixx

7