68. A Night of Sin (Part 3)
160 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Naam stared at Sin, “I think... she might have malfunctioned.”

Sin stopped moving. She was still breathing, but upon hearing the news that Iris was the Huntmaster’s daughter... it appeared that Sin shut down.

Iris blankly stared at her, then looked at Naam, “I’m sorry! Maybe this wasn’t the best time...”

Naam smiled softly at Iris, “It’s fine. You can come by Devil’s Secret in a few days and talk to her then. Let the guards at the front know that Naam called for you and they’ll let you through.”

Iris nodded, and smiled back, “I will! Thank you.” She turned to Sin, “Please take care of yourself Princess.”

Sin didn’t react.

Naam smiled awkwardly, “She will! We’ll take our leave now.”

Iris smiled back, “It was nice meeting you, I’ll come by in a few days!” She turned around and hopped back towards the Ring.

Naam guided Sin back to the Secret. Sin walked while holding Naam’s hand.

The night guards eyed Naam quizzically. She blew raspberries at them. They rolled their eyes.

Sin was so emotionally exhausted. She’d been overwhelmed the entire day, and this was just the cherry on top. She decided that she would just not react to stuff until she went to bed. Everything would just have to go on without her for now.

Naam took Sin to the VIP reception area and sat her down, “Just wait here for a second, alright? I’ll be back in a few minutes, then I’ll take you up to bed.”

Sin slowly nodded. She didn’t speak.

Naam went into the backroom behind the desk. She ruffled through some documents that were left on the desk. After a few moments, she found it.

Iris. The Huntmaster’s daughter. I knew that I’d heard of her somewhere. That old bat Kallad told me about her one time. She’s a prodigy of untold proportions. But... her whereabouts were unknown. So how did she end up here? And does the Huntmaster allow her to do this? I wonder how she got her hands on a named weapon...

More than that... why did she approach Sin? There’s far too much that’s unknown about this girl. I’ll keep an eye out.

Naam packed away the documents. She made her way out of the backroom, back into the reception area.

‘Khaaaaaaa... whooooooo...’

Sin fell asleep on her chair.

Naam smiled. She must be so tired. The poor girl. She walked around the desk towards Sin. Naam noticed that Sin’s nightcap had a fluffy bobble on it. She squeezed the bobble like Sin did before. Naam smiled. It suits you, Princess.

A voice came from the seat behind the desk, “You did good.”

Naam didn’t turn around, “Why’d you show up now you old bastard?”

Kallad chuckled, “What, I can’t check up on my daughter?.”

Naam rolled her eyes, “Do whatever you want.”

Kallad frowned at her, “Why do you hate me so?”

Naam whipped her body around and stared at him, “Do you really not get it?!” She shrunk a little as she held her arm, “Because you gave me this name. You know that Primordial power manifests through names, and you gave me this one?” She took a deep breath, “I don’t know why you did that, but it’s not fair.”

Kallad stared at her, “... I’m sorry. I can only apologise. Your life wasn’t your own, and that was out of my power. But you’ve gained some control over it, and your life is now your own.”

Naam’s tears began to shed, “It’s not fair Kallad. I don’t know whether you wanted me to kill an Ancient and save mum somehow but this...”

Kallad placed his hand on her shoulder. His pressure was so heavy that Naam couldn’t move, “Don’t...” He breathed deep breaths. With each breath, Kallad’s pressure released, “... mention her... please.”

Some of the pressure remained, but Naam could move now. She slapped Kallad’s hand off her shoulder. Naam looked into Kallad’s blood red eyes through the tears in her own eyes, “It’s going to take a lot for me to forgive you... but for Sin I’ll do what I can...” Her voice cracked, “I... I loved... her too.” Naam’s tears flowed heavily now.

Kallad sat down beside Sin, “I’m truly sorry. More than anything, I regret giving you that name. You deserved better.” He looked at Sin, then back at Naam, “Milly was a mother to you both. She loved you more than anything. Even more than me.”

Naam sobbed for a minute. Sin was deep in her sleep, snoring away.

After she’d finished crying, Naam looked at Sin, “You haven’t... told her yet?”

Kallad shook his head, “She’s got too much on her plate right now.”

Naam wiped her tears, “You shouldn’t just do what you think she needs.”

Kallad nodded, “I’m aware. But there’s a time and a place.”

Naam scoffed, “You just don’t want to have the hard conversations.”

Kallad stared at the ground, “That may be true... but Sin doesn’t deserve to be overwhelmed with all of this stuff right now. She’s your sister, so you should understand better than anyone.”

Naam watched Sin in her sleep. She smiled softly, “We haven’t gotten much time to be sisters though.”

A tear rolled down Kallad’s cheek, “That’s entirely because of me. I deprived you both of each other. But now... you both have the chance to develop that relationship with each other.”

Naam rubbed her eyes for a second, “I’ll make the most of it. My life is mostly my own now, so I will do what I can.”

Kallad smiled, “I’m... happy to hear that...” He started to break down, “I’m... so sorry...” Tears streamed down his face, “my daughters... it’s my fault... I-”

Naam hugged him, “Dad c’mon... You’re doing just fine now. You might have messed up with me in the past, but Sin’s perfect. Don’t... don’t beat yourself up like this okay? I’m sorry for being like that.”

Kallad returned his older daughter’s embrace, “I’m... sorry.”

Naam whispered, “I know.”

Sin yawned. She stretched, and looked over at Kallad and a female figure hugging, “dad? what’s going on...” She was groggy and tired, and couldn’t quite see through her blurred eyes.

Naam let go of Kallad. She stood up and hugged Sin. Naam whispered in Sin’s ear, “Do you want me to take you to bed?”

Sin nodded into her shoulder, “yes please.” She mumbled. Sin lifted her legs and locked them around Naam’s waist, then passed out again in Naam’s arms.

Naam embraced her. She held her sister as she walked over to the lift.

Kallad watched them, “You’re already closer than I thought you’d be.”

Naam smiled, “We had a ladies’ night out.”

Kallad smiled to himself. Naam took Sin into the lift and pressed the top button. The doors closed.

Kallad sat, alone. He sighed, “Milly. Wherever you are...” Kallad covered his eyes with his hand, “Your daughters are doing well.” Tears dropped off of his face as he sat there.

After a few minutes, Kallad went into the backroom. He had a nice sleeping area made here for himself since he gave the penthouse to Rai and Sin. It was as much his office as his bedroom now. Kallad smiled, then spoke to himself, “Maybe soon I can be Naam’s father again. I doubt she’ll ever forgive me, but... she’s still my daughter.”

Kallad snapped his fingers. His sleek red and black outfit was replaced by a silk gown. He couldn’t sleep in the same room as the Songstress either, given that she slept with her envoy. Kallad got into bed and went to sleep.

Naam smiled as she cradled Sin’s head. Only now, after so many years, did she finally feel like an older sister. The lift door opened. Naam took Sin through. She opened the door to the penthouse. Naam heard soft breathing from her right side. She looked to see a door slightly open. That must be where Rai sleeps. She avoided making too much noise as she made her way to Sin’s room upstairs. She opened the door.

Naam stopped herself from laughing out loud. Haha, it’s so pink! There’s so many fluffy toys... and bunnies everywhere... and she’s... so cute.

Naam wanted to cry. She knew nothing about her sister.

It’s okay it’s okay it’s okay. We’ve got time now. Take your time to get to know her and be an actual sister to her.

Naam took Sin over to her bed, and gently placed her on it. She took the covers and smoothly tucked Sin in. Her eyes grew heavy.

Naam took a second. She gently held Sin’s cheek. Naam kissed her forehead, then quietly whispered in Sin’s ear, “Love you.” Naam stood up.

Sin mumbled, “thanks... mum... love you too...”

Naam’s eyes were already heavy, but this caused them to leak. She covered her mouth, and took deep breaths. She left the room and sat down just outside the door, leaning against it. Naam looked at her hands, which were shivering. Her whole body was weak.

She sobbed silently for a few minutes.

After those minutes had passed, Naam slowly got up. She was sweating, and emotionally overwhelmed. Still, tonight she got to take Sin out and have some fun. Naam enjoyed teasing Sin, she enjoyed teaching Sin, and she enjoyed simply being there for Sin. Naam felt... love. A sisterly love. Happiness filled her heart.

Snap!

Naam felt much lighter...

It was gone.

Naam’s soul belonged entirely to her now.

Her soul was hers alone.

She smiled and cried tears of joy. Sin had saved her in more ways than one, it seemed.

Naam made her way back to the lift.

She closed the penthouse door behind her, quietly.

More than anything, Naam wanted Sin to be happy. She wished for Sin’s good fortune in life.

And her prayer would be answered.

7