70. The Archaeology Society (Part 2)
152 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kallad rubbed the back of his head, “Yeah... it’s a bit annoying. The summit isn’t something you guys have to worry about, alright? Focus on your studies.”

Rai and Sin stared at him. Sin sympathetically smiled at him, “You’ve got it rough right now, don’t you?”

Kallad stared at her. His face was blank, “When did you grow up? That wasn’t supposed to happen so fast.”

Sin giggled, “I can just tell. You’re trying to deal with this all on your own.”

Kallad sighed, “Dear daughter, stop being so mature and go kick some rocks about or something.” He laughed.

Sin rolled her eyes. She smiled to herself though, “That’s more like it.”

Kallad put on a wide grin, “When are you two gonna get together then?”

Sin’s face went red. Rai’s did the same.

Kallad jumped up and sat on the table in front of them. He stared at the two of them.

Rai fiddled with his bands, and Sin twirled her hair. Neither of them responded to him, and they both had red faces.

Kallad chuckled, “Look at your faces! Bahahah. You’re both tomatoes.” He couldn’t stop laughing.

Sin pouted, “Stop teasing us...”

Kallad placed a hand on his daughter’s head, “I’m afraid that’s never going to happen. I’ll come back to life as a ghost just to tease you after I die.” He broke out into laughter again.

Rai stifled a giggle on hearing Kallad’s words.

Sin maintained her pout.

Kallad simmered down after a few moments. He sighed, “Rai.”

Rai looked up at him.

Kallad smiled at Rai, “You better do this right. Or I won’t be very happy.”

Rai smiled back at him, “I was raised well... you can have faith in me.” Rai was nervous, but he got what Kallad was saying.

Sin stared at the two of them, “Are you guys speaking in code? What on Zenith are you talking about?”

Kallad turned to his daughter, “Fret not, dear daughter. Your father is merely preparing your knight in shining armour! Huzzah!” He punched the air in triumph.

Rai copied him, “Huzzah!”

Sin continued to stare at them both. I’m surrounded by idiots.

Rai and Kallad laughed with each other.

Kallad’s face turned serious all of a sudden. “Rai!”

Rai sat up straight, “Sir yes sir!”

Kallad became an army sergeant, “Tonight, at 7pm, training area! We’re gonna fix those spells of yours!”

Rai saluted, “SIR YES SIR!” He was excited.

By this point, Sin had already gotten up to leave for the Academy.

Rai got up and ran after her, “Wait for me!” He waved Kallad goodbye, “See you later Kallad!”

Kallad waved back, “Make sure you’re not late!”

The penthouse door shut.

Kallad waited to hear the lift door open and close. He sighed, “Lilith.”

A swirl of black mana formed, and Lilly came out of it. She kneeled, “Master.”

Kallad grinned, “I’m permanently assigning you to Sin. I know you were always shadowing her unofficially, but I’m making it official.”

Lilly held her kneeling position, “... Master?”

Kallad took a deep breath, “I’m not your master anymore. Out of the three of you, you knew and loved Milly the most. So go. Be a sister to your sisters.”

Lilly was quiet. She didn’t respond.

A moment passed.

Another moment passed.

Shivers. Tears dropped from her face to the floor. She responded with a broken voice, “Wh... Why now?”

Kallad sat back on the table, “Naam broke the connection. You’d already done so from a far earlier age, but I asked you to remain as you were. An agent of darkness. But now...” A tear strolled down Kallad’s cheek, “now, it’s time for a change. You three were all that we had, and I kept you from each other.”

He stood up, and pulled Lilly up from where she kneeled. She was mostly limp, “You’re not my agent anymore. Stop forcing yourself to be something that you weren’t born to be. You’re my daughter. My eldest daughter.” He hugged her, “Lilly. You’re free.”

Lilly sobbed into Kallad’s shoulder. Her tears were unending.

She whispered quietly as her voice cracked, “Ma-... Dad... I miss mum... I miss her so much.”

Kallad held the back of his daughter’s head, “I miss her too.” His tears flowed freely, “I miss her just as much.”

 


 

Rai and Sin got into the lift, and pressed the button to go to the lobby.

Rai asked what was on his mind, “We’re going to meet the Archaeology Society today... You did sign me up for it right?”

Sin nodded, “Yeah, while you were recovering. I got the papers and signed them for both of us.”

Rai smiled, “I’m looking forward to it. The others said they’re going to join it too right?”

Sin stretched and let out a satisfied groan, “They said they would. I really can’t wait! It’s going to be so exciting to go and explore the ruins. We’ll also go through towns and cities in different regions, so we’ll get to explore all of Zenith!” She did a twirl as she squealed in excitement, “How awesome is that!”

Rai was getting hyped up, “I’m super excited as well! If I can find any clues about my dad’s path, then I might be able to find him.”

Sin placed a finger on her chin thoughtfully, “You mentioned that he left you a message... I’ll come with you! It’ll help me achieve my own goals as well.”

Rai grinned at her, “Your goal of becoming the most powerful being in all of Zenith?”

Sin smiled. She looked hungry for victory, “I’ll reach the top, just watch me!”

Rai could see the fire in her eyes. He loved seeing Sin this motivated. It was a sight to behold.

Ding.

The lift door opened.

There was no scented assault this time.

Rai and Sin walked into the VIP reception area. It was empty, barring Naam, who sat at the desk. She looked tired.

Sin walked over, “You alright Naam?” Rai walked behind Sin.

Naam smiled warmly at her, “I’m a bit tired after last night. You...” She remembered how Sin thought Naam was their mother. Naam didn’t want to take that memory away from her, so she switched gears, “took me for a crazy ride haha!”

Sin smiled, “I slept like a baby afterwards though! Let’s do it again soon!”

Naam’s heart skipped a beat. I’m her sister... I want to be there for her. She smiled warmly at Sin, “I’d be happy to do so! Just come down whenever, and we’ll go.”

Sin nodded, “I’ll see you after school.” Her and Rai waved goodbye to Naam.

Naam waved her and Rai goodbye. She shouted out, “Let me know how your day was when you come back!”

Rai shouted back, “Will do!”

Naam circled her finger around a random document. She had a wide smile on her face, and she did a happy little jig after they’d left.

Rai and Sin made their way to the Academy. Rai had no idea what the first lesson was, and at this point he was too afraid to ask. He kept glancing at Sin, trying to find a way to ask.

Sin could practically feel his lack of knowledge piercing her side, “It’s a non-combat lesson, if you’re wondering. This lesson is about math. Numbers, Rai. Numbers!”

Rai stared blankly at the ground as he walked. He was terrified, “Sin... I can’t do numbers... I got lucky on the entrance exams because they were multiple choice... I just guessed.”

Sin facepalmed, “How... You’re somehow the dumbest and smartest person I’ve ever met. Okay, I’ll tutor you in math. In exchange... I’ll figure something out later.”

Rai nodded, “Thank you. You’re too kind.”

He felt an ominous aura coming from Sin...

She stared at him with a deathly glare, “You shouldn’t thank me yet. You don’t know what I’m going to ask for.”

Rai audibly gulped. What have I just gotten myself into?

Sin grabbed his hand and started walking a little faster, “C’mon. Let’s get there a bit early and grab seats next to each other.” She was smiling.

Rai held her hand and kept up with her walking speed.

After a little while, they made it to the Academy grounds.

The big open area with two mini-gardens on either side of the central path was so serene. The huge gate at the front was exquisitely ornamental, but it also looked sturdy enough to keep outsiders out.

The gate opened automatically as students approached it. Rai and Sin entered after a group of other students.

Sin let go of Rai’s hand as she ran over to a row of bushes on the edge of the path. It was a part of one of the two mini-gardens. She crouched down, “Rai! Come here!”

Rai walked over and crouched beside her. Sin pointed at the roses on the bush, “Smell these. They’re so nice!”

Rai leaned in and smelled the roses. Their subtly sweet fragrance was amazing. He loved it. Rai admired the roses, “These are really nice. It’s just like your perfume.”

Sin nodded, “Your favourite.”

Rai smiled warmly at her, “My favourite.”

Sin grinned. She stood up and stretched out her legs a little.

Rai did the same. These roses are so beautiful... He looked at Sin. It gives me an idea...

They continued walking down the path.

A female voice came from their left side, “Hey! You’re Rai, right?!”

Rai and Sin turned to the source of the voice. It wasn’t someone they recognised. In fact, there were multiple girls, and they didn’t recognise a single one.

Rai smiled awkwardly at her, “Sorry, I don’t think I know you.”

The human girl with black hair and brown eyes was the one who asked the question. She led the group of girls. She giggled, “It’s fine! I’m Zoe. It’s nice to meet you.” Zoe took grabbed Rai’s arm and pushed up against it. She would’ve shoved Sin out of the way with that movement, but Sin dodged it.

Rai’s discomfort suddenly skyrocketed. He awkwardly chuckled, “Can you please let g-”

Zoe talked over him, “We were wondering if you wanted to come to a party with us after school today! You’re really cute, and we’d all love to hang out with you!”

Sin was getting frustrated. She walked around to Rai’s other side and stared at Zoe, “He’s busy ton-”

Zoe pushed even harder against Rai’s arm, “I know that I would personally love to have you there. Everyone here also agrees.” She turned to look at her friends. The girls made sounds of agreement.

Rai really didn’t like this. He was starting to panic. What even is this situation? How do I get out of this?!

Sin’s frustration was reaching a boiling point, she glared at Zoe, “Hey! I don’t know who you are, but you shouldn’t b-”

Zoe spoke over her again, “The party will be great! You can even bring your... friend here along if you wanted.” She took her eyes off Rai and stared at Sin. Zoe was attempting to toy with her.

Sin stared back at Zoe. This bitch... What a fucking asshole. Her frustration quickly switched into anger.

Rai was still panicked, but he started getting frustrated. This was too much.

He was about to shove Zoe off his arm, but Sin acted first.

Sin grabbed Rai’s tie and pulled him towards her.

She kissed him.

Gasps came from the crowd of girls, and Zoe stared at them, dumbfounded.

Rai got his arm out of Zoe’s loosened grip, and held Sin’s face as he returned her kiss.

Sin slowly released her lips from his. She held his face with one hand, and his tie with another, as she looked into his eyes with a soft, caring gaze.

Sin slowly turned to Zoe. She smirked with a condescending expression. “Hey bitch. Fuck off.”

Zoe stared at her. She growled angrily, and stomped off. She yelled at her group of friends, “C’mon! We’re leaving!”

They followed her into the Academy.

Rai and Sin watched as they went inside. They waited a moment. Then turned to each other. The both of them broke into a fit of giggles.

Rai held his side as he’d laughed too hard, “What the fuck... that was so weird.”

Sin held his shoulder for support as she almost fell over from laughing, “That bitch had it coming haha! She didn’t listen to us at all!”

Rai and Sin spent a few minutes calming down before they went inside the Academy. Fortunately, since they’d left early, they weren’t late for their lesson.

Instead of walking on the west side of the building, where all of the combat oriented classrooms were, Rai and Sin went eastward. This side of the Academy was full of the more academically oriented classrooms.

After a few minutes of walking, they came upon their classroom.

Mathematics Room 2

Rai audibly gulped. He held Sin’s hand as they walked into the class.

8