74. The Archaeology Society (Part 6)
135 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fury.

That was the only feeling that they could feel beyond this door.

Beads of sweat formed on every one of their foreheads.

What could possibly be so ferocious behind the door that they would feel terrified by simply standing outside?

This was the Archaeology society. It was in Rodrick’s classroom. How could they explore ruins if entering a classroom was this difficult?

Rai took a deep breath then opened the door.

As soon as it opened, a wave of angsty energy permeated their bodies from inside the room.

A voice came from within.

“Are you finally here?! Fuck! How are you supposed to survive ancient ruins if you aren’t punctual?!”

For fucks’ sake... Feris... Rai wasn’t prepared.

The others pushed him forward. He led the charge. Onwards to battle, my friends.

Rai gulped. He walked into the room.

His friends followed behind.

The boy with piercings all over his face was sat on Rodrick’s desk at the front of the room. The twin suns’ light shone through the windows and reflected off of his silver piercings. He turned to look at the group of people enter the room.

Feris grinned, “Welcome to hell, fuckers!” He stared at Rai.

Feris’s feral red eyes pierced through Rai. He grinned, “Come. Sit. Let’s have a chat!” His voice was clearly full of excitement, and he seemed so animated when he talked.

Rai and the others looked at each other. Rai sighed and shrugged. They all sat down. Rai sat on top of a table next to Sin. Tullian did the same on another table. Amy and Lina sat in chairs.

Feris stared at them, “Is that it? There’s meant to be more of you...”

Amy blurted out, “Oh! Maya! She’s meant to be here as well.”

Sin tilted her head as she turned to Amy, “She is?”

Amy nodded, “She told me that she wanted to explore Zenith to help her mum somehow. She considered joining a bunch of other societies, but when I told her that we were joining this one, she wanted to join as well!”

Rai and Sin looked at each other. They thought that Tiana, Maya’s mother, was probably looking for Jin.

Feris facepalmed and groaned, “This society isn’t a fucking day-care centre for shitty babies. Rodriguez gave us explicit permission to book days out from school at a time to go on excavations. This isn’t a fucking joke!”

An angry female voice came from the door, “Who the fuck said it was a joke, huh?!”

Tullian was officially bricking it. Maya came through the door.

She stomped over to Feris and yelled in his face, “I’m NOT EVEN LATE! Who decided that you’re the leader here anyway, huh?! You wanna fight?!”

Feris pushed back as he yelled at Maya, “Bring it on, wild dog!”

Sin facepalmed. How did it end up like this? All of us here have such huge egos, so how can any one person lead us?

Rai spoke from beside Feris on Rodrick’s desk. Everyone whipped their heads around to him since they didn’t even notice him moving there. “I have an idea. Why don’t we host a tournament? On Seniodies, after the technique evaluation on Quinquies, we should fight amongst each other to see who’s the strongest. Then the winner can be the leader.”

From Rai’s count, there were 7 of them there. If one person got to go through without fighting, then they could do an elimination tournament where the strongest people eventually face each other at the end.

Tullian grinned. Amy grinned. Sin smiled. Feris frowned, though he still liked the idea. Maya grabbed and shook Rai, “That’s a good idea! I’m all in. Raise your arm if you agree to Rai’s proposal!”

Everyone raised their hands.

Except one person.

Lina.

She sighed, and whispered under her breath, “I... won’t participate.”

Rai smiled at her, “That’s fine, don’t worry about it.”

Lina nodded, “Thank you.”

Rai smiled, “Well that settles it. We’ll decide our leader on Seniodies.”

Sin tilted her head, “Well, what about today’s session? Who’ll lead today?”

They all stared at her.

Feris pointed at himself, “I was here first. So I should obviously lead today, don’t be fucking stupid.”

Sin hopped off her seat. She walked over to Feris.

Her face was all of a sudden in front of his, “What did you just call me? You wanna die?” Her expression was devoid of any emotion. Feris knew what that meant.

She was furious.

The others audibly gulped.

The weight of Sin’s cold fury bore down on Feris’s back. He didn’t know how to react.

Rai placed a hand on Sin’s shoulder, “Relax.”

Sin blinked a few times. She took a deep breath as she pulled herself back. She turned to Rai and put on a cute smile, “Sorry.”

Rai smiled back, “No worries.”

Sin sat back down on the tabletop. Rai sat beside her.

Everyone collectively exhaled.

Tullian could feel it... this room was full of monsters. Something like this could easily have been a cause for celebration in his clan. It brought about a certain kind of excitement. One attached to an equally strong anxiety inducing feeling.

Feris blinked rapidly for a few seconds, then pretended like nothing happened. “Okay! I’ll reserve judgement for after the tournament. For now, I’ll catch you all up since we’re going to be part of the same society for a while. Sit your asses down and listen up.”

Maya scoffed as she sat on the tabletop beside Amy and Lina.

Lina was behind her enough that she... couldn’t avert her eyes. Her face heated up as she stared at Maya’s... plumpness. She’s so hot... Even though Maya was in Academy uniform, her form was still outlined by the fitting uniform. And when she sat down and her whole-

Lina’s depraved thoughts were cut off as Feris began, “This is the Archaeology society. We are officially enabled to take days off of school to go on expeditions. The ruins and dungeons that we will visit are not for weaklings ahem you all. They are said to have been cleared by adventurers and explorers already, but some of them have been left alone for quite some time. What I’m saying is... it’s dangerous. There are multiple deadly traps and arcane constructs that have been dormant for ages, not to mention all of the stuff that we don’t even know about yet. Most of these places aren’t fully explored even though adventurers have supposedly cleared them. Those fuckers are always so lazy. So don’t expect to survive based off luck alone! However...”

He grinned, “this society is also the most fun. We get to learn about our world in a way that others don’t. We gain insights into arcana and the Ancients.” He hushed as he whispered the next part, “I’ve even heard of forbidden spell tomes locked away in some far-off dungeons and ruins.”

Maya cackled, “Forbidden spells are just a myth. If the Aspects knew of someone with a forbidden spell, they’d be executed on the spot.”

Rai and Sin stared at each other. Executed?! Rai very much didn’t want to be executed. Sin also preferred Rai alive, so she didn’t quite want him to be executed either.

Feris yelled out at Maya, “HUH?! How would you know that if you have no proof?”

Maya grinned as she stood up and yelled back, “Same goes for you! You’re so fucking stupid, if I can’t know then you can’t either! You wanna throw down?!”

Feris was raring to go, “Bring it, ass clown!”

Lina’s thoughts drifted... Ass... She stared at Maya’s ass.

Rai interrupted them, “Can we get on with it? I’d rather get through this and go home than have to stop every 5 seconds because you guys are so battle-hungry. The tournament is going to happen, so just be patient.”

Maya pouted, “Hmph!” and sat back down.

Lina’s eyes widened as Maya’s thickness spread out a touch when she sat down.

Feris kissed his teeth, “Tch! Fine. Then there’s one last thing that you should all know.”

They listened attentively, regardless of how much they didn’t want to because Feris was the one speaking.

Feris frowned a touch, “The ruins that we’re going to go to contain the language of the Ancients sparsely written throughout. You must avoid trying to read it. You can look at it, but don’t try to read it. The language we use for incantations derives from the language of the Ancients so you may think that you can read the scriptures... Do NOT under ANY circumstances try to read them, mentally or verbally!”

He wasn’t joking around. The others could tell. He spoke without insults, and without any kind of unnecessary exclamations. This was serious.

Everyone burned his advice into their minds.

Except for Rai.

Rai thought back to Ig’lyn. He knew the language of the Ancients, and could speak it without any backlash. Does that apply to Ancients’ scriptures and writings? I’m excited to find out.

Feris sighed, “The first expedition is in a couple weeks. Rapunzel will brief us on it during next week’s session. For the rest of the session, let’s organise ourselves. When and where will this tournament take place?”

Sin crossed her arms, “Devil’s Secret. It’s my dad’s building, and we have a sparring arena underground. We’ll host the tournament there. Be there just after noon. We’ll sort out the tournament brackets when everyone’s there.”

Feris stared at her, “Who the fuck are you again?”

Rai facepalmed. This won’t end well.

Sin surprised him.

She simply sighed, “I’m the daughter of the Aspect of Deception. Sindyl Raven.”

Feris’s eyes widened. He chuckled. His chuckle soon turned into hysterical laughter. The others watched him awkwardly.

Feris simmered down soon after, “You’re an Aspect’s child? I suppose you’re the one to look out for in the tournament then. You better not disappoint.”

Sin shrugged, “You’re not exactly someone I should care to look out for, especially when so many other monsters are going to fight.”

Feris put on a smug face, “I’m the only monster here... Me! You’re all nothing!”

Sin smirked, “I guess we’ll just have to find out at the tournament.”

Feris smirked in return, “I’ll batter you all!”

Rai smiled, “Is that all then? I’m surprised that no one else joined the society... we already know everyone here, more or less.”

Sin agreed, “There’s probably a reason for no one else joining though...” She stared at Feris.

Feris stared back, “What?”

Sin shook her head and sighed, “You wouldn’t get it.”

Feris shrugged off her words.

Tullian had spent the entire lesson with his cheeks clenched. This group was a ticking time bomb waiting to go off, and he was ready for it. More than anything, he wanted to test himself against the people around him.

Feris tried to shoo them away with a very animated waving manoeuvre, “Alright, session’s over, piss off.”

Rai smiled. As much as he didn’t quite like Feris, they were now part of the same society. It wouldn’t hurt to be cordial, “See you later Feris.”

The others said goodbye to Feris as they left. Maya, however, simply stared at him and grinned, “Bring your A-game to the tournament. You’ll need it against those monsters.” She left.

Feris remained on the desk as he watched them all leave. He sighed and laid back on the desk, “Ricardo, they’re gone.”

Rodrick undid his invisibility spell from the seat just behind his desk, “You did good Feris.”

Feris smiled, “The group is promising. They’re little shits, but they’re well spirited.”

Rodrick leaned back in his chair, “What’s your evaluation?”

Feris thoughtfully placed a finger on his chin, “They’re strong. And hiding their true strengths. The Aspect’s daughter is clearly the most well-rounded. She has the most powerful techniques, and the most raw power. That boy with the slicked back hair and huge build, his eyes are different. He seems like he can see things differently. That bitchy elf with the silvery blue hair... she’s strong too. Her physical strength is off the charts. The twins are an enigma. The one with mismatched eyes has incredible skill as a healer...” He furrowed his eyebrows.

Rodrick turned his eyes towards Feris, “What’s wrong?”

Feris scratched his head, causing his piercings to jingle, “I can’t place my finger on them. The quiet girl and the blue eyed freak. The quiet girl has the same level of power as her twin, but chooses to hide it. And she’s a bit of a pervert. The blue-eyes freak... I can’t read him at all.”

Rodrick chuckled, “You’d have to be as strong as an Aspect to be able to read him. Don’t worry too much, I’ll vouch for his strength.”

Feris stared at Rodrick, “You know something? Spill it.”

Rodrick smiled, “His name is Rai. You’ll want to do your best to avoid fighting him in that tournament of yours. Or... maybe you’ll have no choice.”

Feris’s eyes widened. He spoke in a hollow voice, “Why are you saying that?”

Rodrick’s fun demeanour all but melted away. His tone gave away nothing but urgency now. “Have you ever heard of the Sword Dancer, young Feris?”

Feris gulped. The mention of the title had such a commanding ring to it that he couldn’t verbally respond. Feris nodded. He knew of the Sword Dancer, if only a rumour or two about the war veteran.

Rodrick continued, “It’s... only a theory right now...” Rodrick cleared his throat, “Just be careful when you fight that boy. If my theory is correct, then all of you will lose to him... no matter what you try to do.”

Feris had a moment of realisation. He stared at Rodrick. “Eh? The fuck’s that supposed to mean. First you mention that scary war veteran, then tell me to be careful against the blue-eyes freak. Fuck that, I’m gonna go all out!”

Rodrick guffawed, “I’m glad you’re motivated. I hope you do well, young Feris.”

Feris grinned as he thought about how to train for the tournament.

5