82. The Calm before the Storm (Part 1)
166 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A bright morning. Light shone through the blinds in Rai’s room. He woke up slowly. Something within him made him feel a tad bit lighter than he’d been for the last couple days.

My lightning... and Antithesis... Rai smiled. Kallad’s help yesterday brought joy to Rai’s heart. He didn’t feel like he had to lock away a part of himself now.

Rai quickly did all he needed in order to prepare for the day.

He left his room. Sin was sat at the kitchen counter, eating her sliced fruits.

She noticed Rai and waved at him. Quickly, Sin gulped down her mouthful and called out to Rai, “Good morning!” She smiled at him.

Rai smiled back, “Good morning to you too.” He went into the kitchen and looked for something to eat for breakfast. “How long do we have until we have to go?” The two of them were already in uniform and ready to go to the Academy.

Sin looked into space for a moment, then answered, “About 30 minutes.” By this point she’d given up trying to get Rai to be punctual or be even somewhat aware of his lesson schedule.

Rai placed his hands on his hips triumphantly, “I’ll make some food then!”

Sin stared at him blankly. “Huh?”

Rai turned to her, “We’ve got time, so I’ll make something quickly.”

Sin continued to stare at him, “Just have fruit... it’s easier than making something.”

Rai giggled, “Only someone who can’t make food would say such a thing.” He smirked sarcastically at her.

Sin’s eyebrow twitched, “Who said I can’t make food!? I can... definitely... uh.” Sin deflated; she didn’t know how to make a single meal. All of her meals were prepared for her by Lilly, or the Underworld Castle cooks.

Rai focused on the kitchen, “Watch and learn!”

Sin, indeed, watched.

Stormflow.

Rai instantly got all of the ingredients he needed from the cupboards. Sin was surprised at how few ingredients he actually got out.

Sliced bread, cheese, and butter.

That was it.

Rai smiled at himself.

Sin frowned a touch, “How are you supposed to make a meal with those ingredients? That sounds... awful.”

Rai was aghast, he couldn’t believe his ears, “Sindyl Raven! I cannot believe you would say such a thing. You’ll regret it when I don’t share any of this with you.” He pouted at her.

Sin waved away his words, “Yeah yeah, I wouldn’t want to eat something like that anyway.” She finished her fruits and telekinetically placed her bowl in the sink to be washed later.

Rai smirked, “You’ll regret those words.”

Sin leaned back in her seat, “Sure sure, just show me this meal that you're oh-so proud of.”

Rai rummaged through the cupboards to find what he was looking for. Where is it... mum always taught me that you can make a great grilled cheese with just a pan and a stove. Ah, there it is.

He took out a pan. He also found a grater and a knife.

Sin was even more confused. She didn’t know much about cooking, so when Rai took out a pan and a grater her face naturally adopted a confused expression.

Rai noticed her confusion, “You’ll see, just be patient.”

Sin nodded.

Rai set the stove to low heat, and buttered one side of a slice of bread. He grated cheese into a bowl. After the pan was heated up enough, Rai placed the buttered side of the bread slice down onto the pan, and evenly sprinkled the grated cheese onto the top of the bread slice.

After a few moments of sizzling, Rai buttered another slice of bread. After waiting to see some of the cheese melted, he placed the non-buttered side of the new slice onto the cheese, and telekinetically flipped the sandwich. The side that was once facing downwards was now face-up, and looked evenly toasted.

After another few moments of sizzling and cheese melting, Rai floated the sandwich up to check both sides. He nodded with satisfaction. Good.

He got a plate ready and placed the sandwich down on the plate. After doing so, he turned off the stove and placed the pan and grater in the washbasin to wash later.

The final touch.

Rai sliced the big sandwich diagonally with a knife, splitting it into two large triangles.

He separated the pieces, causing a small amount of gooey, melted cheese to spill onto the plate.

The smell was phenomenal. Sin’s mouth was watering. She couldn’t believe it. The sandwich in front of her looked... incredible. Never before had she seen such a thing.

Rai smiled, “Time to eat!”

Sin’s eyes darted from the sandwich to Rai and back. She watched as Rai crunched into the toasted bread, and the melted cheese found its way into Rai’s mouth. Sin's mouth watered. I... I want... this...

She regretted her words.

“Rai...”

Rai paused in the middle of his bite and looked at Sin, “Mhmm?”

Sin shuffled around in her seat, “I, uh... Can I t-try some?”

Rai stared at her, “No.” He continued eating.

Sin stared back at him, “But! I’m sorry! I was ignorant and foolish! Please!”

Rai frowned at her, “You disrespected the grilled cheese. I cannot let something so heinous slide, even if you’re my partner.”

Sin didn’t know what to do, “I’m really sorry. It looks so good, and I really want to try some.”

Rai thought about it for a moment. He sighed, “If you truly feel remorse, then I can forgive you.”

Sin nodded profusely, “I do, I really do. I feel a lot of remorse and am very sorry.”

Rai smiled at her, “Then here, take a bite.” He held out the sandwich that he’d taken a few bites out of.

Sin blushed. She’d never shared the same piece of food with someone before. But it’s Rai... so it should be fine.

Sin held Rai’s wrist as she took a bite out of the sandwich that Rai held out to her.

Her eyes widened. This... HOW IS IT SO GOOD?!

Sin savoured the gooey, melted cheese mixing in perfectly with the crunchy toasted bread. The mix of savoury flavours and textures was heavenly.

Rai watched Sin’s ecstatic reaction.

She wanted more.

Rai grinned. He pointed at the other half of the sandwich, “All yours.”

Sin’s eyes darted between the half and Rai. She looked confused, “You... did you cut it in half for me to start with?”

Rai simply smiled at her, then enjoyed his grilled cheese.

Sin smiled warmly as she lifted up the other sandwich half and ate it alongside Rai.

In total, it had taken them about 10 minutes to finish their surprisingly filling sandwiches.

Sin belched, “bbbbraappp.” She quickly covered her mouth, “P-pardon me.”

Rai stared at her, “Hahahaha! I didn’t know you could burp like that!”

Sin blushed a touch, “I... didn’t mean to... it’s unladylike.”

Rai frowned at her, “Forget what’s ladylike or not, burping competitions are the best! My aunt taught me how to burp to win.”

Sin's embarrassment turned into confusion. She stared at the country bumpkin, “The fuck are you talking about?”

Rai frowned even harder at Sin, this time with a hint of sarcasm in his face, “Isn’t cursing unladylike?”

Sin narrowed her eyes as she looked at Rai, “Fuck. You.”

Rai burst out in laughter, and Sin did the same.

After calming down, Rai grinned, “I can do it better, watch.”

He breathed in a full breath and held it for a second. “BBBBRRRRRAAAAPPPP!!”

Sin stared at Rai, wide-eyed. “What the fuck...” She tried again. Sin breathed in, copying Rai. “Bbbbrrrraaapppp.”

Her eyes darted to Rai, “How did yours get so loud?!”

Rai chuckled, “Trade secret. C’mon, I’ll wash up and then we can go to school.”

Sin sat, pondering, as Rai washed up. Her new short-term goal was to defeat Rai in a burping competition.

Once Rai had cleaned up in the kitchen, the two of them got ready to go to school.

They left the penthouse. Mr. Guard bid them farewell as they entered the lift.

Once they reached the lobby, Naam greeted them from the desk. The reception room was empty, apart from her. Just like normal. Sin was glad. During the morning, there was very rarely a lot of people hanging around the Secret’s lobby anyway.

Naam called Sin over. Sin went over. Naam wiped away some crumbs from Sin’s lips. “Enjoy breakfast?”

Sin blushed a touch, but she smiled, “Yep! Rai made this melted cheese sandwich which was really nice!”

Naam looked surprised, “You had a grilled cheese? The Princess? Of the Underworld? Had a grilled cheese?” She burst out in laughter.

Sin frowned at her, “What’s so funny about that?”

Rai giggled as well.

Naam simmered down after a moment, “No no... it’s just that grilled cheese sandwiches aren’t exactly something a noble or someone high up in society would actually eat.”

Sin tilted her head as she looked at Naam questioningly, “Why? It’s really tasty so what’s stopping them?”

Naam leaned against the desk, “They’re seen as commoner food. Noble culture dictates that if one stoops to the level of a commoner in any way, then they are a sham to the nobility.” She held a faux pride in her voice for comedic effect.

Sin gawked at Naam, “Well that’s dumb as fuck. Fuck the nobility. Letting their prides and egos get in the way of good food.” She pouted as she crossed her arms. “Hmph!”

Rai stared at her, deadpan, “Sin, you literally did just that before trying it.”

Sin blushed, “Well... I... was wrong!”

Rai chuckled, “Yep, you definitely were! Now, we should get going.”

Naam nodded, “Let me know how your day was when you come back, you two!”

Sin smiled as she hugged Naam, “I will! See you later!”

Naam returned the embrace, “See you later, little Raven.”

Rai and Sin left for the Academy.

Naam smiled to herself as she sat back down behind the desk, “Our little Sin is growing up, isn’t she, Lilly?”

Lilly appeared out of black wisps of mana. She wore her typical maid uniform.

Her straight black hair wasn’t what Naam wanted to see. Neither were the pitch black eyes that masked Lilly’s true beauty.

Naam frowned, “Show your true self, eldest.”

Lilly nodded softly as she snapped her fingers. Curly dark red hair flowed freely. It was the hair that Naam found herself envious of in her earlier years. Bright red, piercing, eyes directed themselves towards Naam.

Naam smiled. The iconic eyes of the Ravens. She’s... so beautiful. “That’s more like it.”

Lilly smiled at her, “She is growing.” Her smile slowly turned into something far more contemplative, “I... don’t know what to do.”

Naam grinned, “What could you possibly mean, oh eldest.”

Lilly frowned, “The La-... Sin. I’m allowed to be her sister now.”

Naam leaned back in her chair, “You were the only one of us who was always allowed. Lilith lost her grasp on you when you were young, so you were allowed to be Sin’s sister since then. I still don’t know why you chose to be her handmaiden instead.” She eyed Lilly questioningly.

Lilly tapped her fingertips together, “It was... mum’s wish. She told me to watch over the La-... Sin... So I chose to watch over her from the shadows.”

Naam chuckled, “You were always a mother’s girl. That sounds exactly like you.” She continued to giggle while Lilly blushed.

Naam’s attitude shifted for the worse, “It’s frustrating. I don’t even know when I’ll get my mortal body back, that fucking primordial messed up too much for me. You reverted quickly since your link broke way earlier than mine.”

Lilly shot Naam a reassuring smile, “Soon, my sister. Your body will slowly, but surely, return to its original state. I’m sure of it.”

Naam had faith in Lilly’s words. She pivoted back to her older sister’s worries, “About Sin... I don’t know how you’ll tell her. You’ve been by her side since she was born, so it might be easier to tell her since you were basically her mum anyway. I was practically a stranger, but I’d still watch from afar and make sure that she was okay.”

Lilly shed a tear, “I’m sorry for that Naam. Mast-... Dad... dad really... messed up...”

Naam waved away her sister’s concerns, “It’s fine, we hashed it out. For now, you shouldn’t worry too much about Sin. She’s stronger than dad thinks. If you want to tell her, then you should tell her sooner rather than later.”

Lilly nodded. She wiped away her tear, “Thank you, sister. I'll keep your words in mind.”

Naam smiled warmly at her, “Come here.”

Lilly walked closer as Naam stood up.

Naam hugged her tight. Lilly awkwardly returned the embrace.

Naam giggled, “We’ll work on that. For now, go back to watching over her.”

Lilly nodded. She attempted to copy Rai and Sin’s shared goofy grin at Naam.

Naam nodded with a concerned expression at Lilly, “Yeah... we’ll work on that too. Just get going.”

Lilly stifled a laugh as she covered her mouth, “pfft.”

Black wisps of mana took Lilly away.

Naam grinned as she leaned back in her chair, resting her arms behind her head. Maybe we’ll get to be a proper family one day. That... would be great.

It would also be great if I could get my own body back! Hey universe! Sooner rather than later please!

5