94. The Calm before the Storm (Part 13)
127 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Hi all. I've really enjoyed writing Draconic Transcendence daily for pretty much 3 months straight now. The story's improved over time and gotten a lot of love from the majority of people, which I'm really happy about.

But I'm feeling a bit of burnout. And I don't want to sacrifice the daily schedule or story quality to sort that out, so here's what I'm gonna do.

After this chapter releases, I'm taking 1 week off from uploading chapters on ALL of the sites. I'll still check the sites periodically to reply to comments (if there are any). In that time, I'll spend a few days resting from writing, and spend the rest building up a small buffer of chapters. Any time I feel burnout in the future, I'll likely do this again.

When I start uploading again (exactly 1 week after this chapter releases, at the same time and same release schedule) I'll have set up a discord server for anyone that wants to join and talk about the book with other people who enjoy it. I'll also be dropping some sneak peaks at the work I'm doing in there. The link to that will be in the preceding author's note of the return chapter.

If you can't wait for new chapters, there are 20 more chapters on patreon (link in the ending author note) for anyone who wants to read more during this week.

With that, I'm gonna go sleep for a couple days haha. I hope you've been enjoying the story so far and that you look forward to Draconic Transcendence's return in a week!

Thank you all :D

Hiron looked in the mirror. It’s grown out well over the last few months. His once short black hair was long and wavy now. He pulled at a strand or two to see how long his hair actually was. Drops of water from his shower dripped from his hair as a soft smile met his face. Mum will like my hair like this.

Hiron turned and stretched. First, he dabbed a towel onto his wet strands of hair. Second, he donned the Academy uniform that was laid out on his bed.

Smash!

Hiron whipped his head around to the doorway. He grumbled as his eyebrows furrowed. Hilda and Haldi. Those oafs.

One of the twin archangels yelled out, “Hilda! We can’t be late for school!”

The other twin yelled out in return, “Then you shouldn’t have challenged me, Haldi!”

Hiron facepalmed. They’re so fucking stupid. He elected to ignore his idiot brothers.

From the desk with a mirror resting atop it, Hiron took two rings. One was given to him by his mother, and the other by his father. He put both of them on, with one on either hand. They were both imbued with spatial magic, which meant that Hiron had his own personal spatial storage. Most of the commoners find it hard to get spatial storage stones, let alone have the magic imbued into their jewellery. He shivered at the thought of not having his own spatial storage.

After putting the rings on, Hiron made his way to the breakfast hall.

On his way he’d passed through richly decorated corridors, each adhering strictly to his father’s vision for Nirvana. ‘If the infrastructure is weak, then the portrayal of power is non-existent’ or so father says. Sounds like a bunch of rubbish to me. If you’re powerful, then people will know that from seeing you fight. I don’t get why it has to be so complicated.

Paintings of beautiful lands in large landscape frames lined the walls. Funnily enough, even though his father was so vain, Hiron was surprised to find a lack of personal portraits of him and his family.

After passing a few doors, Hiron arrived at the one that led into the food hall.

This may have been his family’s house in Aurum, but his father clearly spared no expense in its design. Hiron could swear that this room was just a miniature version of its counterpart from his household in Nirvana.

He sat at the table and waited.

Not even a minute later, a waiter came to serve.

“May I know what the youngest might desire for breakfast?”

“Something basic. Make it light and easy to eat. I have a very intensive day today and don’t want to spend much time digesting.”

The waiter bowed and excused himself as he left to the kitchen.

Hiron thought about his schedule for the day.

Magical techniques in the morning, then body strengthening and mobility training after lunch. I doubt their techniques will be as strong as my light based techniques. But... maybe it’s best to keep an open mind. Mum would want me to, at least.

After a couple of minutes, the waiter returned. In his hand was a plate of food. Even the plates were engraved with golden trimmings. They were also the finest china that Hiron’s father could get his hands on.

The food smelled great. Hiron looked forward to his meal as the waiter placed the plate down on the table.

“Please, enjoy.”

Hiron laid his eyes upon the contents of the plate. His stomach grumbled, longing for satisfaction. Hiron had always loved this kind of food. Two eggs, some sausages, and toasted bread. It’s not as light as I’d want for today, but it’s a great meal all the same. He began eating.

After thoroughly enjoying his meal, Hiron got ready to leave. His brothers could deal with the punishment for tardiness themselves.

He straightened his uniform and was about to leave the building.

The front door was rather large. It was also very expensive. It had gems, gold, silver, marble, just about everything that screams wealth. This was the one thing that Hiron didn’t care for. Putting on appearances to show others that you were rich or powerful... it didn’t sit well with him.

As he was about to push the door open, it opened itself.

Hiron was confused for a moment. As the light of the twin suns blasted him, it took a second to see who was outside.

“Father?”

Amon stood in the doorway.

“Good morning, youngest. Off to the Academy?”

Hiron nodded. He was clearly apprehensive around his father.

“Good. I do hope you won’t do something rash again. How awful it would be if our family’s name got dragged through the mud once more.”

“I’ll only ever do my best, father.” He paused for a moment before asking what was on his mind, “What brings you to Aurum, father?” He’d almost regretted asking his father a question, but Amon’s reaction wasn’t what he expected.

“Why, it’s my summit taking place in only a month. I can’t stay holed up in the sky when the other Aspects are down here now, can I?”

“No. It makes sense if you’re here before the summit. Will you be staying here then?”

“Wherever else would I be staying? I hope you don’t mean to say you don’t want me here?” Amon put on a frown.

Hiron’s eyes widened. It’s a threat. Don’t respond in kind. He bowed his head ever so slightly. “Never. I’m grateful that you’ll be staying with us father. In fact, I was hoping that you would come by soon so I could hopefully learn from you.”

Amon let out a low chuckle.

“Ha. What honeyed words. Just like your mother. Very well... leave. I hope that you have a great day at the Academy today.” He strolled into the house, brushing past Hiron.

Hiron stopped himself from visibly reacting. Only after his father had left his presence, Hiron started walking to the Academy. Always so terrifying. And always so rude. Why does he hate mother so much? All she ever did was support him...

Hiron’s thoughts didn’t linger for very long.

Fortunately for Hiron, the Academy was only a small walk away. Their family house was in the democratic district, and was easily the most extravagant of the Aspects’ houses. Oh... right. The Deceiver, Songstress, and Tinkerer don’t own houses here. Still, ours is the best. A tingle of pride spread through Hiron’s body.

Upon arriving at the Academy, Hiron frowned a touch. I really don’t want to deal with that lightning freak again. I know that I’m stronger now... He sighed. Whew. Whatever, I’ll deal with it when the time comes.

The instant that Hiron entered the gate, he was met by two different groups of people.

Both of them spoke over each other.

Zoe walked up to him from inside the gates. She was followed by a group of four other girls. “Hey, Hiron. You coming to the party after the evaluation tomorrow or not?”

A few noble boys met him from outside the gates, “Hey Hiron! I think we all have the same lessons today! You wanna walk with us to class?”

Hiron sighed. If you ignore the pests, they’ll just go away.

He completely ignored both groups. Hiron moved past Zoe’s group to get into the front courtyard of the Academy.

Zoe scoffed, “You’re just as rude as that redhead bitch.” She turned to her friends, “C’mon. Let’s go.”

Hiron continued to ignore them. He was rejected multiple times by Sindyl, and by now he’d learned his lesson. Don’t bother with women.

The noble boys ran up behind Hiron and followed him. “Today’s lessons are supposed to be fun! I can’t wait for them.” One of them said.

Hiron didn’t want to deal with this, but since they were nobles he had no real choice. Holding up appearances was part of being the child of an Aspect. Just like the balls and soirees, I have to deal with this rabble. Look at them, they’re so fucking weak. Nobles without the strength to back up their positions are nothing but dust.

Like a parasite, the memory of Hiron wetting himself to Rai’s intimidation came to the forefront of his mind. Well... I suppose I was just like them until not too long ago.

Hiron summoned a ball of pure light in his hand. He watched as the planes of light coalesced within one another. Hiron beheld a cold, quiet, and altogether beautiful fury. This magic is meant to do nothing but purify. The magic of the Whin family. Justice... As much as I hate him... he forced me to grow. I practically begged father to teach me this legendary technique. Hopefully I get to use it.

Hiron was snapped out of his thoughts as they arrived at the classroom.

A classroom that wasn’t exactly a room.

It was similar to an outdoor pitch made for sports. But it was intended for magic. Since it was part of the West Grounds, Hiron was surprised that he’d never seen this area before.

A pair of voices came from behind him. Hiron turned around to look at who they were.

After laying his eyes upon them, he internally groaned.

That lightning freak. Fuck.

Hi everyone! If you're enjoying the story and want to support me then feel free to do so on Patreon!

Patreon is 20 chapters ahead of what's releasing here, so if you want to read ahead then you can do so over there!

https://www.patreon.com/Vertrixx

5