105. Technique Evaluation (Part 5)
105 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shameless request: If y'all are enjoying the story, consider subbing to me on patreon to support me so I can continue writing the story as I currently do!

https://www.patreon.com/Vertrixx

Also if y'all want to talk about the story with more people, or just come chill, then come and join the discord!

https://discord.gg/qZnbk2pHbs

I hope you enjoy today's chapter :D

Hiron walked down the stairs after Rai thanked him. He glanced back at Rai and his friends. They’re so... weird. I don’t want to deal with any of that right now though. Hiron sighed to himself as he walked down the stairs towards the testing ground. Alright, let’s just do well here so father doesn’t get mad.

The examiner walked up to him with a clipboard in hand. She looked up from the board at him.

“Hiron of the Whin family?”

Hiron nodded.

“Do you wish to take the evaluation in the pocket dimension, or out here?”

“Gimme a sec.”

“Of course.”

Hiron looked around for a moment. He saw all of the students chatting away, talking amongst themselves. Some of them were watching him. As Hiron took in more of what he was seeing, he realised that almost all of the students in the audience were slowly turning their attentions towards him.

The entire auditorium became quiet after a moment.

Hiron recalled his father’s words. No more embarrassing our family.

He resolved himself.

“I’ll take the evaluation out here.”

The lady wrote it down on the clipboard and gestured for Hiron to follow her.

He did.

Upon reaching the table of analysts, she began the explanation.

“To start with, you’ll simply do the same thing that you did in your entrance exam. When you poured your mana into the orb, the Academy gathered data about it. Now, you’re just going to do the same thing with that orb over there.” She pointed at the orb, “Allow your mana to siphon into the orb and it’ll return to you once it’s been analysed.”

Hiron nodded. He walked over to the orb in the centre of the testing area.

The students in the audience focused on him. Hiron did his best to ignore the attention.

He placed his hand against the giant orb’s cool glass. Since he was young, Hiron had taken multiple supplements and mana potions, so Hiron’s mana pool was larger than most. The only thing that he thought was a weakness was his mana channels. He didn’t have much experience casting high level spells until recently, when he’d learned the Whin family’s notorious light-based technique. It could be transformed and grown in any way seen fit by the user, so Hiron used the technique to re-create a spell he’d seen his father use, and his own one. Judgement and Justice. That’s all I’ll need for now.

Quickly, all of Hiron’s mana siphoned into the orb. After a few moments, it returned to his mana pool.

The examiner placed a hand on his shoulder after it was done.

“That was great! Now that we’ve got information about your mana, we can test any specific techniques you want. You can either input all of your techniques, or just the ones that you want to be evaluated. We’ll have to do any enhancement techniques before others, simply because of the way our data is organised, so keep that in mind.”

Hiron thought about it for a moment. I don’t want to reveal all of my techniques here...

He looked back up at Rai.

Hiron’s eyes narrowed. That guy’s obviously not gonna reveal all of his techniques either. He’s got that lightning one, and a number of elemental ones, but that’s all I’ve seen.

He came to a decision.

“I’d like to input two techniques.”

The whispers in the crowd began. Some people were amazed, while some people were confused. Most of the people who’d had their evaluations so far had gotten all of their techniques evaluated. So when they heard that Hiron was only going to have two of his techniques evaluated, it was a shock for most.

Rai thought about it once the whispers made their way round to him and his friends.

“That’s... not right. He’s definitely got more than just two under his belt.” He said.

“Wouldn’t you do the same? It’s not right to reveal all of your techniques to anyone. Some of them might have fixed ranks too, so there wouldn’t be any point getting those ones evaluated.” Sin said.

Rai knew that Sin was right, but he didn’t have to like it. As much as it made sense, Rai wanted to see a lot more than two techniques from Hiron. For all Rai knew, he’d only use the techniques that he’d used in the fight against Rai on the previous day. It would be enough for a statement, but not enough to get Rai worried.

Hiron heard some of the whispers from the crowd behind him. He tensed his fist for a second. Idiots! I’d have to be an idiot like all of you to show off everything I’ve got right now. So, instead, I’ll just make a statement. I’m more powerful than they all think.

He grinned to himself.

“If you don’t want to do so then I won’t press you, but do those techniques have names?” The examiner asked him.

“Justice and Judgement. Justice is an enhancement technique.”

The examiner quickly inputted the names into the device, and prepared the analysts to get started. They’d gotten up from their seats and stood near Hiron.

After a moment of shuffling some stuff around, the analysts were all ready.

The examiner walked back over to the orb, which Hiron was still stood beside. She pointed at it, “With your enhancement technique, Justice, you’ll want to cast it while keeping your hand flat on the orb.”

“Alright... Should I start?”

“Yes, please begin.” The examiner joined the analysts where they were stood.

Hiron took a deep breath. Focus...

Justice.

Hiron’s eyes ignited. They glowed a cool white-gold as their golden flames flickered. On his skin, eloquent golden designs shone like glowing tattoos wherever his skin was exposed. More than anything, Hiron’s presence became tangible throughout the auditorium. It was like a thick veil had been cast on everybody present, making them painfully aware that Hiron was there.

Rai noticed that the technique had already grown since yesterday.

He focused on maintaining Justice as the orb cracked.

“Okay that’s enough! We’ve got the data, so please release the spell!”

Hiron let it go. He let go of the power that he’d brought up from the depths of his soul.

Justice receded. His flaming eyes returned to what they were once before, and his skin no longer had those golden designs all over.

The examiner let out a sigh of relief. She looked over at two people standing on the side of the testing ground.

“Get a replacement orb, now.” She said to them.

They nodded and quickly began replacing the damaged orb.

Hiron wanted to apologise, but his pride wouldn’t let him. I might have broken it, but they shouldn’t have come here with such a weak orb. Why should I have to apologise for that?

“While the analysts put their recorded data alongside the data collected from the orb, we should move on. Shall we begin testing your next technique?”

Hiron nodded. “How do we do it?”

She pointed over at a training dummy. It was almost like an actual person, since it seemed to have been modelled as such.

“That dummy over there will gather data about your technique as it gets hit by it. The data will accurately determine what tier your Judgement is.”

“Alright. Should I go and hit it now? Wait... will the dummy be fine? I might destroy it.”

“The dummy’s stronger than you think. You can start whenever you’re ready.”

Hiron eyed her curiously, but he took her word for it. He walked over to the dummy. It had a bunch of wires and buttons connected to different parts of its torso and limbs, that he didn’t see on his first glance over at it. Hiron knew nothing about all that stuff, since he knew nothing about technology. If they’ve made it to judge technique tiers, then it should be able to last against my technique, right? In that case, I’ll do everything I can to destroy it!

A beautiful ball of coalescing light formed in Hiron’s hand. It floated ominously.

Come forth, Judgement!

An arcane circle formed in the air above the dummy. From the arcane circle, a beam of cold and destructive light shot downwards.

The dummy was completely encased in the thick ray of light.

The examiner shouted from where the old orb was, “That’ll do!”

Hiron didn’t want to release his hold over the spell. The power was intoxicating. But... this wasn’t a fight. There was no joy that came to Hiron as he held Judgement against the dummy.

Hiron released it. The arcane circle dissipated, causing the ray of light to abruptly stop.

The ground around the dummy was completely scorched. Even though the grass was fake, it was burnt to a crisp.

The dummy, however, was completely fine.

Hiron stared at it with wide eyes. How... how is it just fine after that?! What the fuck is that thing made out of?

The examiner called out to Hiron. “Mr. Whin, we have your results!”

Hiron snapped out of his confusion and went back over to the analysts and the examiner. As he walked over, he asked about the dummy, “What is that thing made of? It didn’t get damaged at all when I used Judgement on it.”

The examiner winked at him, “Trade secret.”

Hiron rolled his eyes, “Alright, whatever.”

She pointed at the ranking board that was closest to them, “You’ll see your name pop up on there. It should be placed any moment now...”

Hiron waited. He anticipated. For some reason, he felt a sneaking anxiety about this. What if I don’t even get on the ranking board? I don’t want to think about what happens if I don’t even make it on there...

All of his confidence and bravado from when he’d started had gone. Hiron knew that those feelings got buried under the pressures he felt from his father, but there was little he could do about that right now.

Fortunately for Hiron, his name was on the ranking board.

He was first place.

On the ranking board was Hiron’s name in gold, and the number 2 next to the star.

The crowd erupted louder now than they’d erupted before for the new first place student. They all whooped, cheered, and made a lot of noise in general as they jumped around with joy.

For many, this would be a cause for celebration.

Hiron, however, wasn’t celebrating.

Instead of smiling, or showing any kind of joy or happiness, Hiron simply sighed. He sighed with relief.

The one thing he was happy about was that he wouldn’t anger his father.

Rai noticed. He poked Sin’s arm.

“Why isn’t he celebrating?” Rai asked her.

“Hmm... Probably because this wasn’t something to be happy about for him. He was expected to achieve at least this much.”

Rai stared at Hiron, who looked more relieved than anything. The boy thanked the examiners and analysts and walked back up the stairs. People from the crowd were congratulating him, but Hiron didn’t react.

Rai didn’t like this. If you do something well, then you should at least be happy for yourself... He felt... pity. It wasn’t the first time that Rai’d felt pity for someone else, but he was still surprised. Of all people, Rai felt pity for Hiron.

Lina got up from her seat.

“Wish me luck.” She said to her friends.

It was now Lina’s time slot.

Rai ignored Hiron for the moment and focused on the friend in front of him. He shot Lina a thumbs up and a determined grin.

“You got this!”

“Just focus on doing your best!” Sin said.

Amy bounced around her sister. “You, and me. You’ll do great since you’re my twin!”

Lina giggled.

Tullian shot her a thumbs up.

Even Feris chimed in. Sort of.

“You better beat them all pipsqueak! If you’re in my society, then you should do at least that much!” He huffed.

Lina was happy that all of her friends supported her. It made her feel loved and appreciated. But... the one person that Lina wanted to say something the most was Maya. Lina turned and looked at her, expectantly.

Maya was breathing deeply, then suddenly grunted as she nodded with conviction. She stood up, with a full blush on her face. Maya stomped over to Lina.

Maya stared at her for a moment. Lina was so very nervous. She wanted to say something but didn’t know what to say.

Maya made it easier for her. She gently embraced Lina.

Lina returned the embrace almost instantly. She hugged Maya tight.

“Go get em.” Maya said.

Lina nodded into Maya’s shoulder. She wanted more... but this would do for now.

A voice came from the testing ground, “Is there a Lina Reen anywhere? We can wait for a minute, but please come down as quickly as you can!”

Lina’s eyes widened, “Oh! Shit... I-uh... I have to go. Uh... bye?” She looked just a little confused as she left Maya’s grip.

Maya didn’t want to let go, but Lina was gone before she could do anything about it. She found herself reaching for her.

Maya watched as Lina ran towards the stairs. She took some steps back to her seat, but instantly started walking back towards Lina as she reached the chair.

Amy held Maya’s hand, stopping her from going after Lina.

“That’s a good first step. Don’t rush it, alright?” Amy said as she pulled Maya back.

Maya stared at Amy with a longing look.

“... Okay... I’ll be patient.”

“I support you two! So just take your time... find the right time to ask her and you’ll get a yes. I guarantee it.”

Maya nodded.

“Gotta admit, I didn’t see that one coming.” Sin said.

“Really? I saw it from a mile away.” Rai said in reply to her.

“As if! You didn’t even realise I was into you until recently!”

“That’s what you think... I realised as soon as you only ever wore rose-scented perfume.”

Sin blushed.

“Yeah yeah yeah, I don’t believe you.” Sin pouted.

Maya and Amy giggled at the interaction between the two of them. Then Maya allowed Amy to drag her back to her seat. She sat back down with a mixture of emotions floating within her. There was an anxious feeling that tried to rip past the flagrant joy within. It made for a very confused Maya. The only thing she knew for sure is that she wouldn’t wait long.

That was all Maya needed right now.

Amy pointed out towards the testing ground.

“Let’s all cheer for Lina!”

Tullian grinned. He stood up and started cheering.

“Go Lina, go Lina, go Lina!”

Rai and Sin smiled at each other. They followed suit.

Amy did the same.

They all supported her. Except Feris of course. Feris did, however, at least pump his fist in the air along with the cheers.

Lina could hear them. Before going to the examiner, she looked back at her friends past the railing. They were all standing and cheering. For her.

Maya looked at her with a warm smile and two thumbs up.

Lina smiled at them. She shook her head gently and focused on what was right in front of her now.

Lina walked over to the examiner.

“I’m... I’m Lina Reen, here to take my evaluation.”

The examiner turned from the table and looked at Lina.

“There you are! Alright, let’s get started.”

5