109. Technique Evaluation (Part 10)
106 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tullian was ready. He wanted to compete against his friends, and he wanted to win.

Other than the upcoming tournament, this would be the best way to achieve that goal.

He breathed in the atmosphere of the auditorium. Since Amy and Lina both performed incredibly, the crowd was still talking about them with excitement in their voices. Zenith was a lot like this, where techniques meant a lot to the people. It was a form of entertainment for them, to see budding adventurers perform well under pressured circumstances.

The same applied to his friends. Tullian knew that they wouldn’t hold anything back. He would do the same. If I want to win... then I’ll have to put everything on the table. His mind drifted to the image of Rai and Sin stood above them all. Especially against those two. Tullian saw them as the people he had to surpass, other than his mother and his sister.

He moved forward past the bottom of the stairs towards the examiner.

The examiner noticed him. She walked over with her clipboard in hand.

“Tullian of the-... wait hold on a second please.”

Tullian tilted his head at her. Is something wrong?

The examiner went over to the analysts and pointed at the place where Tullian’s second name would be on the clipboard.

“Is this right? There’s no way, right?” She asked them.

The analyst fixed his spectacles and muttered the name under his breath. He frowned for a moment as he thought.

“Yeah, that name’s correct. I remember it from the student data briefing we got earlier. Don’t forget we have to do this one according to the instructions... since I’d rather not get my head chopped off.”

“Yes... I’m aware.”

The examiner didn’t like the explicit instructions, but this was her reality.

She walked back over to Tullian.

“You are Tullian of the Huntmaster’s creed?”

“Yes. Yes I am.”

“In that case, we have to do your evaluation slightly differently. Your mother gave explicit word to not show two of your legendary techniques. The ones she deemed ‘secret arts’, whatever they are.”

“Wait... what?” He stared at her, “Are you sure? Mum wouldn’t stop me from placing high on the ranking board for something like that...”

“No no no, you misunderstand. Those two will count to your legendary technique count, but you must not use them. Otherwise... we will have to pay the price.” She looked at the analysts sat at the table behind her, then back at Tullian.

“... Please.”

“... I see. In that case, can you give me a minute?”

“Of course. Just let me know when you’re ready to begin.” She walked back over to the analysts’ table.

Tullian let out an aggravated sigh. The creed wasn’t something that one turned their back on, but when it came to adolescence the wolf cubs were practically left on their own to grow until they returned to the creed. Tullian’s adoptive mother, the Huntmaster, wouldn’t have been allowed to tell him not to use the secret arts without breaking the rules of the creed... unless she did something underhanded like this. Damnit! Why now? She never had a problem with me using those techniques before, but all of a sudden now she cares? The creed is one thing...

He clenched his fist tight.

But getting in your family’s way goes against all of that!

Tullian needed to breathe. This wasn’t what he wanted at all. His mother’s words wouldn’t stop him from using his techniques in the tournament tomorrow if he needed to, at least.

Still, if they counted to his legendary technique count, then that made it less painful for Tullian. Even if it was an achievement that he hadn’t truly earned himself.

If this was the case though, then there were only two other techniques that Tullian had to showcase.

He walked over to the table and got the examiner’s attention.

Whew... I’m ready. Can I do the evaluation in the pocket dimension please?”

“Yes, of course.” She wrote it down on her clipboard and signalled for the analysts to head into the portal.

She followed, and was followed by Tullian.

Tullian didn’t think much of the room behind the portal after his first glance around. The white panels, orb, and training dummy weren’t all that interesting to him.

The examiner began to explain how the evaluation was to go.

“The only difference between your evaluation and the others is that thing we mentioned earlier. For the rest, it’ll be the same. You’ll start by pouring all of your mana into that orb,” She pointed at the orb, “just like you did on your entrance exam day. Your mana will enter the orb, get analysed by it, and then return to you entirely.”

Tullian walked over to the orb and placed his hand against it.

What?...

He felt something move within it.

Is that... a mana wyrm? They’re using mana wyrms to measure our mana?! Tullian’s heart rate rose as his anger began to surface above the rest of his emotions. Calm down calm down calm down Tullian. I can’t bring attention to my Beast Sense because of this... It’ll do no good to get angry here.

Tullian waited a second to calm himself down. Tullian then allowed his mana to flow into the orb. Eat well, little one. May you one day return to your kin.

To feel the presence of a lone mana wyrm trapped in the orb, Tullian had no words. They were pack creatures, and even though they were invisible to the naked eye, they shimmered in light, which often made for a beautiful spectacle when they lit up the night sky.

All Tullian felt was sympathy for the poor, lonesome wyrm.

Shortly after, his mana returned to him entirely, just as the examiner said it would.

Tullian returned to the examiner and waited. He wanted to mention the wyrm, but that would probably bring about more trouble than it was worth.

“Okay. So, we can test all of your techniques, minus those two, or we can evaluate any specific techniques that you have.”

“I’ll just test two different techniques please.”

“Okay! Do those techniques have any names?”

Tullian shook his head. They had names, but he’d rather that they weren’t recorded.

She noted it on the clipboard.

“Do you have any enhancement type techniques?”

“Yep. It’s an eye enhancement that works off of my... unique divine form.”

“I see... in that case, you should use the enhancement while holding your palm against the orb just like before.”

“Alright, I’ll do that now.”

Tullian walked back over to the orb. He wasn’t happy about the mana wyrm, but there was nothing he could do about it with his current level. He placed his hand against the cold glass of the translucent orb and closed his eyes.

Come forth. Eagle eyes.

Tullian opened his eyes.

He could see everything within his peripheral vision for miles with this skill. It afforded him the ability to focus on literally anything he wanted to if he could see it. When used in combat, Tullian was often more able to see an opponent’s weakness if he looked for it.

The examiner checked the data.

“Alright, come back.” She said.

Tullian withdrew Eagle eyes and went back to the examiner.

She wrote something on the clipboard. “So, you’re an archer?”

“Haha. You could tell just from that?”

“Well, there are many techniques that grant clarity in vision, or improve one’s accuracy... but none are quite as potent as natural Eagle’s eyes. I won’t record anything about your ‘unique divine form’ though.”

“Haha! Mother would have your head if you did.”

“Unfortunately I’m well aware.”

“Anyway, is it a legendary as well?”

The examiner nodded.

“Before you celebrate, you have one more technique to show us right?”

“Yes, should I use it on the dummy?”

“Yup, whenever you’re ready!”

Tullian went over to the dummy. He wanted to celebrate at least drawing with Amy, but if he could top her in the ranks then that would be even better.

The next technique that Tullian wanted to test was a type of arrow enchantment that he’d come up with himself. Most of his arrow enchantments were strong, but this was the one that he felt was the best of all of them. If any of them were going to get rated as legendary, it would be this one.

Tullian dashed to the edge of the room. He held out his left hand, summoning an ethereal bow that looked like it was made from stag horns from his bracelet. He kneeled and held the bow forward.

Tullian nocked a mana arrow and aimed it at the dummy.

Using shamanic magic, Tullian called upon the spirits of the earth. The arrow glowed with an amber hue.

He called forth his Eagle eyes. With them, Tullian found the dummy’s weakness.

He released the arrow.

A short whistling sound passed through the room as the amber arrow flew towards the dummy.

On impact, the arrow didn’t pierce the dummy, but it exploded into primal earth that encased the dummy in its entirety.

Tullian stood back up and withdrew his bow. He walked over to the examiner.

She smiled at him, “It might not be what you want to hear, but you shouldn’t take it any worse than your other technique. The last technique you used was rated at epic tier. It was an incredible display, and it looked like an amazing technique! But it was lacking in many departments that would’ve made it legendary.”

“I see... Oh well. Can’t have them all at legendary, otherwise it wouldn’t be fair on my friends haha.”

“You and your friends seem to have a great time with each other. You’re quite lucky, you know.”

“Yeah... I really enjoy being with them.”

“As you should. Now, let’s head back and you’ll get to see your name on the ranking board!”

They all returned through the portal.

Tullian looked at the nearest ranking board after a few moments of waiting for the data to be input.

He was tied second with Amy.

Phew. I guess a draw is better than losing.

Still... Tullian wanted so very badly to win. His competitive drive was what pushed him to even learn the secret arts, but not being able to use them was demoralising to him. Tullian looked over at his friends, who were all cheering together.

Tullian thanked the examiner and analysts, then ran to his friends.

They all cheered for him, giving him pats on his back and shoulders.

Maya punched his arm way harder than he’d expected. “You have just as many legendaries as Amy! That’s so awesome!”

“Haha. Thank you!”

Amy solemnly walked over to him.

“So... what happens now? We drew, so who gets the favour?”

“Why don’t you both just owe each other a favour? That way you both win!” Rai said.

Tullian and Amy stared at him.

Tullian grew a smile on his face after thinking about it.

“That’s... not a bad idea! How about it Amy?”

“... Alriiiight. I’ll accept that.”

Maya stretched her arms and legs. “Alrighty, I’m next. Wish me luck you lot.”

“Don’t mess up like you messed up the pancakes.” Sin quipped.

“Hey! My pancakes were great! I just... forgot the balance, you know?”

“Yeah yeah, just do your best, alright?”

“Uh huh. That’s the plan Princess.”

Maya walked over to Lina.

“Got any words for me? First place?”

Lina blushed heavily.

“Uh... Do your best! Go Maya!” Lina puffed streams of air out of her nostrils, much like a bull.

Maya chuckled. She leaned in close to Lina. Her nervousness from before was still there, but she’d made up her mind to pursue this for herself.

“You know what would make me do even better than my best?”

“... W-... What?”

“A hug.”

Lina’s face was unbelievably hot.

Maya’s wasn’t as far off.

Lina just went for it. She’d practically leapt on to Maya to hug her.

Maya welcomed it more than anything in this moment. She savoured it.

After a moment, Sin tapped Maya’s shoulder.

“You’re gonna be late. Go go go!”

Maya didn’t want to let go, but she had to. All of a sudden, she felt something push her forward.

“Lina...”

“... Yeah?”

“If I rank first after this...” She shuddered as she took a very deep breath, “Will you go out on a date with me?”

Lina’s face was so visibly hot that Rai thought he could probably cook an egg on it. Regardless of how red she was, Lina felt something... just a little different to how she normally would’ve felt. It was a dreg of confidence. She thought it was probably left over from when she used her divine form. Regardless of where the sliver of confidence came from, Lina didn’t want to let this it go to waste.

She nodded profusely.

Maya smiled softly at her. “Then get ready to go on a date with me when this is all over.”

She made her way to the stairs.

Lina was shaking. Her elven ears were somehow completely red, as well as her face. She turned to her friends, only to see that they were literally all holding their thumbs up at her. She covered her face with her hands out of embarrassment.

Amy guided her to her seat.

She whispered into her sister’s ear. “Well done. You’re growing up, finally.”

Lina only managed to get out an “Mhmm.”

Sin was happy. She looked at Rai with a happy face. It was a face that said ‘IT’S HAPPENING!’

Rai was also happy. Though, he knew that this was a long time coming since he realised Lina had a crush on Maya. He returned Sin’s look with a look that screamed ‘FINALLY!’

Beyond the budding relationships of their friend group, Sin was more interested in one thing.

How strong they all were.

After all, Sin wanted to stand at the top with the very best fighters and adventurers in all of Zenith.

She wanted to surround herself with strong people, so that she could become even stronger herself. Fortunately for her, all of her friends were showing themselves to be amazing people.

Now, Sin would finally get an idea about one of the two people whose abilities she didn’t really know anything about.

It was time to see just how many crazy techniques Maya had under her belt.

5