114. Technique Evaluation (Part 15)
109 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rodrick stared at Rai and Hiron with a knowing expression.

Rai quickly realised that Rodrick was setting this as a stage to force Hiron to join their society. If a public display was made of it, then he’d have no choice but to join the society and take part in it, at least for some time.

Hiron gathered the same thing. After their talk earlier, he thought that Rodrick would do something stupid to try and help him. But... of all of the things that the headmaster could’ve done, this was the route he took? Hiron was understandably frustrated.

But there was nothing they could do about it now. To cause a ruckus amongst all of the students here and now by refuting Rodrick’s words would be the worst choice to make.

He’d trapped them. Rodrick’s plan was a success.

Now was the time to put the nail in the coffin.

Rodrick imbued his voice with mana. It boomed throughout the auditorium and caught the attention of any remaining clappers.

“After that special word, I hope you all look forward to hearing about the exploits and expeditions of our Aether Academy’s very own Archaeology society!

Now...”

The nail was officially in the coffin. There were expectations on them now, so they couldn’t so easily have Hiron leave.

“there are some special guests that I would like to introduce you all to. These are the people that you should look up to. The people that you must draw inspiration from. The people that some of you aspire to become. The leaders of our world.

Please join me in welcoming the Arbiter, Deceiver, Songstress, and Chancellor!” Rodrick clapped for four of Zenith’s Aspects.

The crowd clapped just as much.

Amon Whin flew down with his angelic wings and landed gracefully beside the headmaster. He wore a ceremonial garb consisting of white robes with golden accents and jewellery.

A finger snapping sound echoed throughout the auditorium. Kallad appeared out of a black mist on the other side of the headmaster. He’d deigned to wear his devilishly handsome suit.

A shadow formed across the entire auditorium. The students looked up.

It was a whale. Flying. In the air.

The whale made a pulsing call, which functioned the same as a roar above the water. A bolt of water shot out from atop the whale. It zoomed unnaturally down towards the testing ground and landed beside Kallad.

Instead of splashing into a puddle, the water bounced up from the ground into a woman.

The Songstress, Salacia. For once, she wore more cloth than she showed skin.

Salacia let out a soft series of notes that were almost like a lullaby echoing through the air, and recalled her summon. The whale disappeared from the sky, transforming into a stream of water that she absorbed back into her skin.

She curtsied towards both sides of the auditorium, then blew Rai a kiss.

Kallad facepalmed.

Sin intercepted the proverbial kiss and incinerated it with a quick flame. Rai breathed a sigh of relief.

The students in the audience only grew more envious of Rai. Salacia was easily the most beautiful woman in all of Zenith. To have her favour was a blessing for any man, or woman.

Jingle. Jangle. Clicklack.

The sound of coins colliding with each other became louder and louder as the seconds went by.

A loud, squeaky but gruff, voice came from atop the stairs to the Central Garden fields. “Oi! Slow down Hoggy!”

The approaching coin sounds became louder.

Then, a small shadow appeared on top of some of the students for a moment.

“FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU”

Thud.

The source of the sound was the Chancellor.

He was riding a pig.

Oink! Oink!

Hoggy started eating the fake grass of the testing ground.

“Fahking ‘ell Hoggy. Just ‘ad to go and make an entrance, dintcha? You’re gonna get fat soon... Well ‘at’s my Hoggy. Wait... why’s it so quiet ‘ere?” He soon realised where he was.

The Chancellor looked around at the students.

They all looked back at him with blank faces.

Rodrick whispered to him, “Kiex, get in line with us.”

“Oh right! Slap! C’mon Hoggy, move next to ‘at tall prissy one.”

The goblin Aspect rode Hoggy beside Amon.

Salacia covered her mouth as she giggled.

Kallad couldn’t help but stifle a laugh.

Fortunately for them, Amon was distracted. The Arbiter couldn’t stand the smell of the damn pig. It was disgusting.

But if anyone ever touched Hoggy then they would likely see nothing but misfortune when it came to their finances for generations to come. Amon decided that it wasn’t worth the hassle.

Rodrick tried his best to get the ceremony back on track.

“Our dearest Aspects have taken the time out of their busy schedules to come and congratulate the future of Zenith for their amazing achievements! Please join me in welcoming them for the end of our evaluation!”

The students in the crowd were a little confused at the pig, but they clapped for their Aspects nonetheless.

Rodrick nodded at Amon.

Amon stepped forward.

He projected his voice powerfully.

“For your fellow students to present themselves and become the first in all of Zenith to achieve a new tier of technique is... nothing short of incredible. Some...” He shot a lingering glance at his youngest son, Hiron, “have achieved multiple legendary techniques just as well. While many of you might think unique techniques are a new ceiling... they are merely a beginning.

My fellow Aspects will tell you all the same thing. You must keep growing beyond your own limits, for the sake of all of our futures.

Thank you for this amazing technique evaluation. May you all guide Zenith into a brighter future.”

Charisma. The one thing that the Arbiter had in spades was charisma. To end the technique evaluation with such a rousing speech was something that not many could do.

The students in the audience erupted for the final time today.

In the noise and clutter of the students’ celebrations, Amon pulled Rodrick aside for a moment. He whispered such that Rodrick was just about able to hear him over the noise of the crowd.

“I believe we had a deal... headmaster...”

Rodrick frowned a touch. He also whispered in response. “I believe I told you there was no guarantee... if they chose not to show their techniques off, then we had no power over them to make them do otherwise.”

“I care not for your logistics, old fool! That nameless boy, and the Raven girl. You will grant me an audience with them one of these days. I’d like to see what kind of potential they really have with my own eyes.”

“... Yes. Of course, dear Voice.” Rodrick was slightly shaken. He knew that the deal had no real guarantee, but had he not made such a deal then the technique evaluation would’ve fallen through completely. On top of that... the Arbiter had made a direct request of him, instead of seeking a deal like before. Now... Rodrick had lost his footing.

Everyone in Zenith’s upper echelons would know that if the Arbiter requests anything, then it’s not a request.

It’s an order.

Amon spent a moment glancing at Kallad. His lips curled into the slightest grin as he turned to wave at the students.

Kallad overheard Amon’s request. I knew Rodrick was shady... but to think he made a deal with the Arbiter... But that’s not even the main thing. Amon’s moving this fast... and that’s not good! Rai can’t be found out right now when he’s at such an important period in his growth! And Sin... she won’t deal well with this kinda heat. Shit... I’ll have to figure something out.

Salacia tugged on Kallad’s sleeve. “There’s not really any... treats here. You wanna head back?” She asked him.

Kallad couldn’t deal with Amon right now since it wasn’t the time or place. He resigned himself to preparing Rai and Sin for their eventual meeting with the Arbiter. For now though, Naam and Lilly had a message for their sister and her friends.

“Yeah, I’ll just go and deliver a message to my daughter and her friends.”

“Ooh! Can I come with you? I’ve got nothing else to do, and I don’t want to sit here with these sleazebags.”

Rodrick called out to her as he waved to some of the students. “I heard that.”

“Oh stuff it Rodney!”

Kiex tugged on Salacia’s skirt from atop Hoggy. “Hey, I’ll literally pay you all the money in Zenith to shut both sets of your lips, how about it?”

Kallad stopped himself from laughing.

Salacia pouted at the little gnome. “Fuck you, midget. Go bathe in pig shit.”

“Already did that. Got paid a pretty dime, so I’d say it was worth it.”

“You’d do anything for the right price, wouldn’t you?”

“Yeah duh? That’s called business, honey.”

Kallad intervened. “Alright fine, you can come with me. If only to stop that damn pig from trying to lick your toes.”

Kiex egged Hoggy on. “Go on boy, go on! You’re almost there! Oh. Where’s she gone?” Kiex looked around and couldn’t find the Songstress, or Kallad. He simply shrugged to himself and allowed Hoggy to do as he wished.

Kallad and Salacia teleported in front of Rai and his friends, and Hiron.

“Sin.”

Sin turned away from Amy. Her face brightened up tenfold as she squealed, “DAD!” She ran and jumped at her father.

Salacia gracefully sidestepped the redheaded girl who flew into her father’s arms.

“I got two uniques! Look, I’m in tied first place!” Sin said as she pointed at the ranking board.

“How wonderful my little bug-a-boo! I’m so so proud of you!”

“I’ll forgive you for saying bug-a-boo just this once only because I’m really happy right now!”

Rai smiled as he watched Sin jump at the third father figure he’d had in his life. For Rai, he considered Jin, Bort, and Kallad all to be his father figures. He leaned against the railing and waved at Kallad while he hugged Sin.

“Hey Kallad.”

“Hey Rai.”

“How you doing?”

“Yeah, not bad. And yourself?”

“Not too shabby. Got two uniques. Tied with Sin.”

“Nice.”

“Thanks.”

“...”

“...”

Rai’s friends were completely and utterly dumbfounded. How could one man just change how he talks and acts with different people like that? Not only that, but Rai and Sin were casually talking with the Deceiver, an Aspect, while the Songstress, another Aspect, was stood there watching. This was a scenario that one would only find in a fever dream.

Tullian was the one person who didn’t find it strange in any way. He walked over to Kallad and held out his hand. “Nice to meet you sir! I’m Tullian! Rai and Sindyl’s friend!”

Kallad threw Sin at Rai and shook Tullian’s hand with gusto. “Nice to meet you Tullian! I’m Sindyl’s father! And Rai’s... future father-in-law!”

Salacia stifled a giggle.

Sin had flown at Rai, who somehow managed to catch her. With his face. She sat up on Rai’s face and pouted. “That stupid dad. He’s always like this.”

Maya burst out laughing as she watched Sin nonchalantly sitting on Rai’s face.

Amy and Lina blushed as Lina pointed at Sin’s butt. “Uh... S-Sindyl... you should let Rai b-breathe.” Lina stuttered.

Sin tilted her head at them questioningly. Then she twisted around and looked at her butt. “Oh...” She got up as quick as was humanly possible. Sin’s face was very hot. As was Rai’s, just in a slightly different way.

Rai took in a huge breath after she got up, since he was suffocated for about 10 seconds. Fortunately for Rai, Sin realised quickly enough.

Sin leaned her face on Rai’s shoulder. “I’m sorry! I didn-”

“Nope. It’s Kallad’s fault this time! Time to go have a word with him.”

Rai stomped over to Kallad and interrupted his and Tullian’s conversation.

“Kallad! You threw Sin at me?!”

“... Uh yeah. I didn’t realise that you couldn’t tell... Wasn’t it pretty obvious, since I literally threw her at you?”

“That was dangerous! I couldn’t breathe for ages! Her butt is too thick, how am I supposed to breathe through it?!”

“You’re welcome then.” Kallad said as he giggled to himself.

“HUH?!”

Sin pulled Rai away from Kallad. “Rai... You can stop now...” Her skin colour had become the same as her hair colour. “I don’t want you talking about my butt around other people, please...”

“Oh. I’m sorry.”

Salacia decided to save the poor girl from any more embarrassment. “RIGHT! All of you lot, line up. This old bastard here’s got an announcement for you, or so I’m told!”

Kallad could’ve done without being called an old bastard, but he welcomed the not-so-subtle reorganisation of the people present.

Hiron wanted nothing to do with this, but he’d somehow been roped into the archaeology society and whatever was going on with the Deceiver here. He’d hoped to sneak away quietly, but Salacia was having none of it.

“Child of the Arbiter. Come back here before I spank you silly.”

Hiron felt shivers down his spine as he froze in his tracks. If he was spanked here in front of the entire student body, he’d probably get executed by his father for treason. So Hiron decided not to do that, and instead listened to the Songstress.

Hiron reluctantly lined up with the rest of them.

Kallad cleared his throat. He then noticed that Rai was standing next to him all triumphant looking, instead of his friends. Kallad leaned close to Rai and whispered.

“Rai. You need to go stand next to Sin. Look, there’s a space there for you.” He pointed at the gap between Sin and Tullian.

Rai whispered back, “Oh. Okay!”

He subtly and sneakily tiptoed beside Sin.

Kallad began.

“You all have a tournament tomorrow, correct?”

They nodded. Hiron was just confused.

“The tournament will take place at Devil’s Secret, my building in the red light district.”

Some audible gulps came from the group. Many of them still had a bad view of the red light district, and for good reason too. Hiron still had no idea what Kallad was talking about.

“What about the damage?” Sin chimed in.

“Don’t worry about that, my agents have a plan that they’ve been working on, so they won’t be in the building tonight.” Kallad said with a smug smirk. “Anyway. All of you, and I mean all of you” He looked at Hiron with ‘you as well’ eyes, “must be there by 12:00 midday! With that, I’ll leave you all. Congratulations on your evaluations, and I’ll see you all tomorrow for the tournament!”

Salacia waved all cutesy-like at the line-up.

Kallad snapped his fingers, and the two of them disappeared into a black mist of mana.

Rai and Sin guessed that Kallad’s agents were Naam and Lilly who’d been working on this for the last few days.

A voice came from the testing area.

“The technique evaluation is now over! Please pack up your belongings and return to your dorms or homes!”

The other Aspects were gone as well. They came by to congratulate the students, but that was all.

Hiron, however, was ignored. His father clearly didn’t deem him worthy of his attention. More than that, Hiron was somehow now involved with the archaeology society. And he had to attend this tournament, or he’d get in trouble with the Songstress and Deceiver. He sighed. Somehow, things just kept going wrong for him.

Rai stretched, and Sin yawned.

Tullian and the others slouched in their chairs.

Feris couldn’t believe what he was seeing. “You pussies fall apart just cuz two Aspects show up?! What kinda weak-ass shit is that?”

Hiron silently agreed with the boy, if he was perfectly honest with himself.

Amy groaned. “Shut up Feris. Go to sleep or something.”

Feris let out an angry growl. “Argh! Fuck you all. I’ll see you tomorrow!” He angrily stomped away.

Sin locked arms with Rai. “We’ll... get going too. See you all tomorrow!”

A cacophony of phrases like ‘bye Sindyl’, ‘see you later Rai’, and ‘see you tomorrow’ all filled the air at the same time.

Rai gently fist-bumped Hiron’s arm as him and Sin strolled past him. “See you tomorrow Hiron.”

“... Yeah...”

Rai and Sin made their way back into the building while mostly ignoring everyone who tried to get their attention.

Then Rai remembered.

It was payday.

“Sin! Let’s stop off at Rodrick’s office real quick.”

“Oh, for those benefits or whatever you mentioned before? Yeah sure.”

They went to Rodrick’s office.

Rai knocked on the door.

“Come in.” Rodrick’s voice came through the doors. He’d returned to his office after the Aspects all left.

Rai and Sin entered.

“Ah, here for your payment are you?” Rodrick asked.

“Yep! 100 platinum pieces please.”

“I still can’t believe that actually happened. Congratulations to you two by the way. You’re the first people in all of Zenith to achieve unique tier. Don’t think that you’re the only ones though, you were definitely the first but there are MANY unique techniques out there that simply haven’t been evaluated as such yet.”

“Yeah, my aunt makes sure to remind me that there are stronger fighters out there all the time.”

“That’s a good aunt you’ve got there.”

Sin had to do a double take. “Uh, 100 platinum pieces? Rai??”

“Oh... the Daem family paid me to keep quiet. Remember that conversation we had with Kallad back when I got injured?”

Sin recalled the conversation that Rai was referencing. It was when her father advised Rai to just do as the Daem family asked, to take any bribes that they offered him for his own safety. “Ah. Yep, I remember now. No need to explain further.”

Rodrick waited for them to finish talking before summoning the container from his spatial storage.

It was a clear box with a lid that contained 100 platinum pieces, all organised and neatly packed.

Rai grinned as he started counting. Wait... it’ll go faster if I just... Stormflow.

He finished counting in a very short amount of time.

“Yep, it’s all there. Thanks Rodrick.”

“Of course. If my student makes a pretty sum, then who am I to withhold it from them. But... if you were to be so generous and kind...”

Rai stored the box with platinum pieces in his seals with a flash of white lightning.

He smiled wide at Rodrick. “No thanks. We’re going home now.”

Rodrick frowned a touch. “Right. Fair enough. Be safe on your way back.”

“Thank you. Goodnight sir.”

Sin added, “Goodnight.”

They left Rodrick’s office and made their way back to the Secret.

Some students lingered around the Academy grounds to try and talk to them, but Rai avoided them by carrying Sin while in Stormflow.

They made it to the Secret in record time.

Mr. Guard ushered them in, past the noise and bustling nature of the Secret at evening time.

The VIP reception area was completely empty. Sin noticed that Naam wasn’t there either, just like Kallad said. What kind of plan could they be working on that’s taking them away from their jobs? Is the training area still completely damaged?

Mr. Guard took them straight into the lift.

Sin observed the arcane buttons that lined the lift’s wall. The button that would’ve taken them to the training area wasn’t there anymore.

Rai noticed it as well.

“I think it’s fine. Kallad wasn’t mad in the morning, and he wasn’t mad just now.” Rai mentioned.

“Yeah... but I feel awful about it. We messed up his training area Rai.”

“We should... probably apologise properly to him the next time we see him.”

“That’s a good idea. I’m happy to do that.”

The two of them remained in comfortable silence as they entered the penthouse.

Rai sighed.

Sin giggled. “Tired?”

“Exhausted. But...”

He pulled Sin in close, causing her to let out a soft yelp. Rai kissed her deeply. Sin welcomed it. He savoured her soft lips against his for a moment, then let them go.

“That’s given me some energy.” He shot a soft smile at her.

Sin smiled gleefully at him, then hugged him tight.

“I’m still a little sad that I didn’t come first. They rated my Mirror mimics as legendary.”

“Huh? I thought that would’ve been unique...”

“Same. But...” She leaned in close and whispered, “It just brings me closer to you, doesn’t it?”

Rai felt Sin’s breath on his chin as she looked slightly up at him and whispered. He gently held her face and brushed back her hair. “You’re so beautiful.”

Sin’s lips tightened as she stopped herself from laughing at a joke she just thought of. She took a quick deep breath. “And bootie-ful!” Sin was holding... holding...

Gone.

Sin burst out in wheezing laughter. She genuinely thought that she was a comedic genius.

Rai facepalmed as Sin practically fell to the floor in her giggles.

“Ha-ha-ha. I genuinely couldn’t breathe, you know.” Rai said.

Pfft. That makes it even funnier! Bahahaha!”

After a few moments, Sin calmed down.

“Hooo. Hooo. Damn-oww. My sides... Oh, that was way too funny. You should’ve seen your face!”

“Uh-huh.”

“You’re telling me you didn’t like it at all though?”

“Of course I liked it! Your body is beautiful, but it was just a little bit... awkward with it being around everyone.”

“Well, that’s good at least. It was more awkward when you started yapping on about it though.”

“Ah... yeah... I didn’t realise it until you told me. My bad.”

“It’s fine. It’s stupid dad’s fault anyway. I swear he’s gotta be doing this stuff on purpose.”

“Yep. I’m sure he is. Alright, I need to go get changed cuz I do not want to wear my uniform any longer than I have to.”

“It looks sexy on you though.”

“Yeah but my loose linens are sexier, since you can see my body through the big holes.”

“... True.” Sin said with a blush.

Sin copied Rai by going into her own bedroom and washing up and changing clothes.

The two of them were so exhausted, that they didn’t spend much time awake together. Instead, they fell asleep on top of each other on the sofa with the crystalakrum still on.

Kallad returned to the penthouse to get something he’d forgotten, when he saw Rai and Sin sprawled out on top of each other on the sofa. He smiled to himself.

After all, they’d need a good night’s rest to be ready for the ‘simulation’.

5