122. A Fight to Lead (Part 8)
76 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What the fuck is this... it’s so... disgusting...

Rai was led by the monkeys to what seemed to be a grave. Except, the dead monkeys weren’t buried. They were simply tossed aside, and clearly dragged here by the monkeys that still lived since there were dry blood trails leading from the bodies.

There was a pile of them. Dried blood matted their furs that would otherwise have been beautiful to behold, and maggots had begun the decaying process for the ones that had been there the longest. Intestines spilled out of many of their open bellies. At least, the ones that still had intestines left.

Rai, for once, did not feel the urge to puke at such a sight.

In fact, all he felt was pity. A sadness for this species, that they had been so harshly disrespected in death.

Without a prod from the monkeys around him, Rai utilised both telekinesis and earth magic to convert this area into a large graveyard.

He spent nearly an hour doing so. Many of the monkeys around him helped in some way, either by realigning their dead properly into the graves, or by helping Rai cover back up the bodies with the dug up earth.

Once it was completed, Rai stood motionless.

Watching over the graves, Rai allowed his emotions to settle. While he had no prior attachment to these creatures, the way that they had been treated was... abhorrent. Everything that he’d grown up with and around had raised him in a way that made this kind of a sight deplorable.

Before he could act on his feelings, however, the monkeys around him acted first.

The one who was leading them before called for the other monkeys to gather in front of Rai.

There wasn’t much room on the ground, given the amount of trees, large branches, vines, and big leaves, so the monkeys gathered vertically.

Some stood along the tops of the large branches, while others clung to the trees. The rest lined the ground.

Rai wasn’t sure what was going on, but he looked out across the jungle.

The lead monkey was at the front, stood on top of a log of wood that was central to Rai’s vision. Rai noticed the absurd amount of monkeys behind the leader, all on different layers, hanging from branches or bark, or simply standing on thick branches. He was certain that the number had grown exponentially since the beginning.

It turns out, that as Rai was burying the dead, many other monkeys from the surrounding areas went to watch him.

To pay their respects.

They’re intelligent... they’re so intelligent that it’s scary... but it’s... so beautiful.

Rai audibly gulped. He got goosebumps at the sight.

The lead monkey began.

*Guko!*

He placed his fist in his hand and held it out towards Rai.

Every single other monkey did the same.

*Kari!*

He bowed his head.

The others followed.

They were silent for a solid minute.

Rai slowly moved his gaze across the sea of monkeys. Upon looking closer at them, Rai realised that their furs were all unique, with different designs mixing greens and blues atop the base silver that they all shared. Rai also realised that some of them had piercings in different areas. Not metal piercings like he’d find on mortals, but branches of wood that were crudely shaped in different ways.

What blew Rai’s mind the most, however, was how human they looked.

Tears dropped from many of the monkeys’ faces as they held their bows.

Not a single monkey held any kind of bloodlust for Rai now, even though he’d initially killed some of their brethren.

His acts of respect had been enough to show that he wasn’t a threat. That he was simply defending himself against attackers.

This whole scene in front of Rai...

It was powerful.

Tears dripped from Rai’s face.

The power that he was witnessing wasn’t any kind of magical or physical powers... but the power of love and community shared between these magnificent creatures.

At the minute’s end, the lead monkey released his hands and his bow. The others did the same.

It then hopped down to Rai and pointed at itself.

*Chak*

“... You’re... Chak?” Rai pointed at the monkey.

The monkey nodded.

They’re so incredible...

“I’m Rai.” He pointed at himself.

*R-... R-... Ra ee...*

Rai nodded and shot Chak a thumbs up.

“... was this all you needed help with?”

Chak roughly slammed the floor, startling Rai.

*Aki! Aki!*

“I... don’t know what that means...”

Chak facepalmed.

*Kutum!*

A large group of monkeys dispersed from the group, then came back moments later carrying the stone tablet that Rai had stumbled upon before.

Actually... who made this thing? There’s no way it was the monkeys... so someone must’ve been here and made this tablet while the story on it was taking place. But who?

It was a mystery that Rai dwelled on for a moment. However, the answer to Rai’s question was right in front of him.

Wait...

Chak took Rai to the stone tablet.

Rai grabbed Chak’s shoulder. The monkey leader, who Rai had assumed by now was their chief, nearly sliced Rai’s arm in response. Rai dodged it in time.

They’re still monkeys, I suppose.

Rai held out a surrendering hand.

“Wait. I have a question.”

Chak’s burning eyes simmered down slightly.

“Did you” He pointed at Chak “make this?” then at the tablet.

Chak’s eyes narrowed as he stared Rai down. Then, after a solemn glance back at the tablet, Chak nodded.

What the fuck?! This monkey made an engraving like THAT on a stone tablet?...

Rai couldn’t believe it. He was still suspicious of the monkey chief, but he also had no reason not to believe him. Given all that he’d seen of the monkeys and their intelligence so far, this wasn’t as much of a stretch as he’d initially thought.

Chak pointed at the larger monkeys on the tablet while staring at Rai.

He then made a throat-cutting gesture, and pointed back at the two big monkeys.

A grin formed on Rai’s face.

“You want... revenge?”

Chak nodded.

“I help you get revenge, then you help me?”

Chak nodded again, but with slight apprehension this time.

Rai noticed the difference. He must think that we’ll fail... hah.

Stormflow.

The monkeys around Rai all stepped back and readied themselves to attack.

Chak did the same.

Rai made a fist, crushing lightning in his hand.

His voice came out distorted by the electric charge in his body.

“We’ll win! Will you help me if we win?!” Rai was determined.

Chak nodded profusely this time. There was no longer any apprehension in his doing so. The rest of the monkeys would follow his word.

Rai withdrew stormflow. A little show of power really does go a long way I suppose...

“Then let’s go.”

The monkeys around him looked to their chief.

Chak smiled as widely as he did earlier. The gnarly fangs that made up the inside of his mouth were terrifying, but Rai did not budge.

*Aki! Aki!*

*AKI! AKI!*

The other monkeys copied their chief. Their voices shook Rai to his core.

A defiant display was the last ditch effort for these creatures, and Rai was the only way that they could get the revenge that they’d so dearly sought after. They would’ve overthrown the king and prince monkeys – as Rai had mentally dubbed them – already if they didn’t need him.

Rai didn’t feel like he owed anything to the monkeys, but something within him wanted to rout out the injustice that they were facing. This feeling was similar to one he’d felt before...

The sea serpent... I felt the same way when I saw that sea serpent’s head! I hated seeing his head on display like that!...

Something within Rai stirred.

He was excited.

Chak led Rai through the winding twists and turns of the mighty jungle, and they eventually came upon it.

The main base for the monkeys.

Rai looked through the leaves that granted them cover, at the scene in front of them.

It was a massive circular clearing in the jungle, which Rai was surprised even existed given the nature of jungles. The centre of the clearing was taken up by a large bonfire. Its embers were dying out as the fire dwindled down, but still remained alive for the time being. Off to the side of the clearing was a grand throne made of the natural formation between two trees. It was almost uncanny that the trees grew in such a way that a seat shape was formed, and even more uncanny was the huge king monkey sat atop it.

The king monkey had many scars across its body, but the main one was the huge claw scar across its chest. It was just like the scar depicted by the stone tablet. Its fur was a mix of dark grey, blues, and greens, just like the rest of the monkeys, except that he sported a dark coat of fur as opposed to their silvers. The king monkey was set apart by the makeshift jewellery it wore. Fangs of fallen monkeys lined the crude strings that circled the king’s wrists and throat.

The prince monkey, who was almost as large as the king, circled the bonfire. It was similar to the king, in that its fur was darker than the smaller monkeys. But there was no major distinction between it and the smaller ones other than that and its sheer size.

Many of the smaller monkeys’ faces were planted onto the ground as they bowed before the king and the prince around the bonfire.

The prince screamed while banging its chest.

It trudged its way over to one of the smaller monkeys, with each step causing a minor shake in the ground.

A terrified shriek came from the monkey that the prince lifted up.

The prince ripped the legs and torso of the smaller monkey apart without any effort. No longer did it scream. Blood and gore all poured into the prince monkey’s wide open jaw as it devoured the innards of the dead monkey.

Rai gagged. He managed to stop himself from puking, but that didn’t change just how grotesque this scene was. It was just like what was etched into the stone tablet. Except, it was real. For Rai, it was very different seeing the dead bodies or the tablet drawing after the fact, but seeing the big monkeys treat the others like that now... was stomach churning. More than stomach churning... it was infuriating.

The king monkey simply watched as the prince devoured the remains of the smaller one.

Rai beheld a quiet fury.

Stormflow!

*Shwing!*

Ghost lit up the air as lightning emitted from its cracks. The blood that would’ve stained the blade burned to ash as the energy coming from Ghost completely evaporated it.

*Thud*

The prince’s massive arm had dropped to the ground.

Chak looked to his side to see that Rai wasn’t there any longer. He looked through the bushes to see Rai, stood in front of the prince.

Rai stared directly into the prince’s eyes.

*Chichichi!*

The prince laughed at Rai.

The vacant space left by Rai cutting off the prince’s arm quickly filled itself again.

The prince popped out a regenerated arm.

Eh?! How’s that fair?! The fuck?!?!

5