124. A Fight to Lead (Part 10)
79 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rai decided to follow Kallad’s advice. He’d spent enough time here with the umbral monkeys... but he was still sad to go. After seeing how they lived, he wanted to spend more time observing them.

Initially, Rai helped them in order to get their help in return. He wanted the monkeys to help him find his friends. But now... he didn’t feel right asking them for help. Because Rai didn’t act sooner, he ended up causing them more loss. It wouldn’t be right for him to ask for their help in any way now.

It didn’t help that Rai had made a bond with Chak, and now Chak was dead because of his inaction. To avoid that regret, Rai had to leave.

“I’m leaving.” Rai boomed.

They all stopped what they were doing.

The monkeys that were dancing around the bonfire stopped in their tracks, the ones eating random bugs and insects allowed the rest of the little buggers to live another day, and even the ones that laid down to rest had opened their eyes.

Rai sighed.

“I have to go. My friends need me.”

The monkeys looked all looked between one another.

Then they gathered as one. A mass of umbral monkeys quickly gathered around the bonfire quickly.

Rai stepped down from the throne.

“Appoint a new leader between yourselves... or don’t. I’ve achieved what I’ve come here for, so I’ll leave now.”

Guko!

The monkey at the front placed his fist in hand, outstretched in front of him.

Wait... no, please... don’t... please...

The other monkeys copied him.

Kari!

The leading monkey bowed his head.

The others did the same.

I... I can’t...

Chak...

Rai cried. His tears flowed as the umbral monkeys bowed before him.

He soaked it in. Rai watched for as long as he could, through blurred eyes. Heartache hit Rai harder than he’d ever been hit before. The remorse he felt for not killing the king sooner was much heavier than he realised until now.

After letting a comrade die, Rai couldn’t see this as a win.

He watched, before bowing before the monkeys himself.

After a minute, the lead monkey did something else that Rai didn’t expect.

A fang? He’s holding up a fang?

The lead monkey took the fang to Rai. He gently opened Rai’s hand and placed the fang within, closing Rai’s hand.

*Chak...*

This... it’s one of Chak’s fangs...

Rai audibly gulped back his sadness, and stored the fang in his seals with a flash of lightning. The umbral monkeys knew what the lightning meant by now, given how many times Rai had drawn and withdrawn Ghost.

Rai held his fist in hand, outstretched in front of him. He bowed again.

“... Thank you. I hope you all survive. Meet me on the surface some time, alright?”

The monkeys clearly didn’t know what he meant as they looked around at each other all confused.

Rai thought as much.

Still, he smiled through his pain as he left.

The monkeys had split apart in a pathway that Rai could only imagine led north. They’re showing me the way...

Rai’d made it towards the edge of the clearing.

...

“LIVE!...”

“... I want you all to live!...”

“I want to meet you all again, so live until I can!”

Stormflow!

Rai left the umbral monkeys.

It wasn’t easy, but he left them there, in that jungle clearing on a random island in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in the Underworld.

Rai felt inside his seals for Chak’s fang. It was there, stored away safely.

Chak... I’ll remember you. And I’ll never forget this failure!

 


 

*Sob*

“I’M SORRY!”

*Sob*

“I-I-I lost c-control... I d-didn’t want... t-to hurt you...”

Tullian stared at Sin in silence. His heartrate was unbelievably high.

The only other sounds came from the water in the reservoir. Calmly, the water’s surface ebbed back and forth. As soft as they were, they were the only other source of sound at the moment.

Sin swore that she saw it in their eyes... They... they don’t trust me anymore... I’m...

“That’s not it.” Amy said. “We can’t trust you if you don’t tell us what that spell was. The tournament clearly isn’t a tournament any more, and we need to know what on Zenith that spell was! We need to know that we won’t be in danger because you might just lose control like that again... Please Sindyl...”

Sin whimpered. She couldn’t say. She wouldn’t say. It was a forbidden spell, and even mentioning it would put their lives in danger. Her friends weren’t under Kallad’s shield of protection from the other Aspects, so if they even knew of a forbidden spell, they’d have to watch their every word to avoid getting caught. Hell, some of the loose lipped among them could accidentally blurt it out without thinking about it.

“... Say something... please Sindyl.”

“Will you give her some space! Fucking shit!” Feris yelled, getting in between them. “Whatever the spell was, you fuckers don’t have to be all up in her grill like this!”

“He’s right! Guys, Amy, c’mon... We’re not children! When was the last time any of us told the others about our techniques? Why does it matter now?” Maya said, joining Feris.

Lina didn’t know what to do. She was frozen in place.

Tullian was also panicking. He felt the heat from both sides, knowing that the change in their situation meant that they had to adapt accordingly. But that same change in the tournament caused him to panic even more. It clouded his logic. Then he remembered Amy on the floor. And the possibilities that could’ve followed if Amy and Lina hadn’t shielded themselves.

“It matters because I can't trust someone who just loses control and expects me to move on without a care! So, tell us...” He said. “Tell us Sindyl, what was that spell?!” He yelled.

“Hey! Chill out for just a second beast boy!” Feris shouted.

“... you don’t get it...” Sin muttered.

It was probably inevitable right? Me and Rai... we’re different from them... The forbidden spell is more dangerous to know about as someone on the outside than it is to use one yourself...

“What was that?” Tullian asked.

“NONE OF YOU GET IT! IF I TOLD YOU THEN YOU’D ALL BE IN DANGER!”

...

“What... what does that mean, Sindyl?” Lina asked, breaking her quiet.

Silence fell.

Sin's heart skipped a beat. She didn’t know what to say. Already, Sin knew that she’d said too much, and now was she feeling the consequences of using the forbidden spell in the first place. But she had to in order to keep them alive against the mother saxumite. And even with the treants, Sin wiped them out, didn’t she? Wasn’t that enough to buy her some leniency?

Sin’s hands began shaking. Her tears flowed more than before.

She was trapped. Sin couldn’t take either path, and that locked her into a loop. She spiralled and spiralled, before the realisation hit her.

Sin had no way out. The mental cage that she was locked in pushed her into a panic attack. Sin balled up and rocked back and forth.

“Answer the question!” Tullian yelled. His own panic and fury blinded him to the fact that Sin was in the middle of an episode.

“Tullian! Move the fuck away!” Maya shouted. She covered Sindyl with Feris.

Tullian was shaking as well. But he truly believed that he was right to care about the pain the others went through because of Sindyl’s loss of control. Still, he couldn’t see what he was doing. For a young man like Tullian, who hadn’t gone through any real high pressure situations like this one, he was breaking under the pressure.

“Tullian... I don’t want to do it like this! I just wanted to talk it out... why are you being so angry about it... it’s not fair!” Amy was already on the verge of crying, and this was making it even more difficult to hold on.

“What’s not fair? You nearly dying?! Lina getting crushed? Maya possibly not surviving? If your spells weren’t protecting her then... Sindyl... Answer the question!”

He was sweating and shaking. Tullian was clearly tunnelled on his anger, and the others knew it. He was drifting them apart.

Then, to make matters worse, Tullian shoved Feris and Maya aside and grabbed Sin by her collar, lifting her up. All he saw was red.

*ACK!*

“ANSWER IT!”

Sin couldn’t speak. She was practically limp in Tullian’s hold.

Feris and Maya fell to the ground, grazing their arms and hands. They fumbled to get up and try to break Tullian’s grip.

Amy ran around and tried to yank Tullian’s arm to get him to let Sindyl go. But he was too strong.

“Tullian! This isn’t how we solve the problem! Violence isn’t gonna help and you know it!” Amy screamed.

What the fuck are you doing?

The voice crackled with an unbridled fury. It sparked fear in all of their hearts.

Amy turned to the source of the voice.

Rai stood, just a little further out from them.

He was already in Stormflow, with Ghost drawn. Tears dripped from his face.

 


 

Rai felt like the jungle was way bigger than he could’ve possibly expected. Even with Stormflow running at 10% of his mana being released, he’d been running for ages and felt like he wasn’t actually getting anywhere.

The one good thing was that there weren’t many creatures around him as he ran, probably thanks to the monkeys, so Rai didn’t have to stop often.

No time to rest either. I need to get back to Sin and the others for that final trial or whatever that Kallad mentioned!

Rai continued to zig and zag his way through the jungle’s vines and thick leaves, chopping them apart with Ghost as he dashed through them all.

Eventually, after what felt like a long while, he’d made it out of the jungle into what he could only assume was the centre of the island.

Wow... that’s beautiful!

The reservoir of water in the centre of the island was incredible. Rai hadn’t seen much clean water since he’d come here, but now there was a massive reservoir full of it right in front of him!

Ah! This is where Kallad said I’d meet the others!

Now then... where are they?

Rai looked around from where he stood.

After scanning the area, Rai spotted something. In the distance, along the far edge of the reservoir, he saw the silhouette of multiple figures stood together. There was a big space behind them, which highlighted their silhouettes even more.

That must be them!

Rai ran in Stormflow towards the figures.

After running for a few minutes, Rai got closer.

However, what came into view wasn’t what he expected. Not at all.

Wha... What’s this? Why are they all gathered like that?

Sin? What...

*ACK!*

“ANSWER IT!”

“Tullian! This isn’t how we solve the problem! Violence isn’t gonna help and you know it!” Amy screamed.

Rai’s world went quiet. All he could focus on was Sin.

She was battered and bruised, which Rai assumed was from a previous fight... But that wasn’t the main thing he was worried about.

Why are you crying?! And Tullian...

What the fuck are you doing?

Rai’s tears escaped subconsciously at the sight of Sin being treated like this.

He was mad. Exceptionally so.

“Rai! Wait! Please!! This is a huge misunderstanding! You need to hear us out!” Amy yelled out to him.

I don’t need to do anything.

Move away from her.

Rai took a step forward.

“TULLIAN LET SINDYL GO! YOU’RE NOT HELPING!” Amy shouted.

Maya and Feris had gotten up by now. Maya postured to burst one of Tullian’s pressure points.

“Let her go Tullian. You’re clearly too emotional right now! Let her go!” Maya shouted.

Tullian looked around. His anger began to subside, and his mental faculties returned to him for a moment.

He quickly let Sin go.

Then panic overtook him once more. His hands shook and he stumbled backwards. This time, Tullian was panicking about his own actions. He didn’t know what to do now, as his emotions completely overwhelmed him.

Amy tried to catch Sindyl, but she was too slow. Sin fell and hit her knee on the ground. She curled up into a ball and sobbed while clutching her knee.

Sin glanced at Rai through her tears. He stared back through his own. Why... why are they doing this to you?!

She didn’t need to speak for Rai to know what the emotions on her face were saying. Sin thought that it was her fault and that she deserved this.

No... You’re wrong Sin... Friends aren’t supposed to treat you like thi!s... how is that your fault?

“... Why... Why?! TELL ME WHY TULLIAN!” Rai shouted at Tullian.

Silence. Tullian didn’t respond. He stood motionless.

Amy tried to answer for him. “We... just wanted to talk... But th-”

“Talk? TALK?! This is talking?! What kind of-”

“Why are you all so noisy?”

The ones that weren't panic stricken turned to the new voice.

Hiron arrived.

“If you have a problem, you don’t have to shout that much.” He said. “I could hear you from all the way over there.” Hiron pointed back up at the cliffside.

*Thump*

“Eh? What was that? You peasants feel that?”

“The floor... it shook...” Maya muttered.

Rai took the time afforded by the distraction to grab Sin using Stormflow. He took her far off to the side, away from the group, and sat her down. Sin balled back up, shaking.

“Sin. Look at me, please.” Rai pleaded.

She didn’t. Sin remained tucked into her knees. She was still sobbing.

*Thump*

Rai looked back over at the group. They seemed to be yelling amongst each other, with Hiron watching and yawning. He turned back to Sin.

“Sin, c’mon. I’m here... I’m here with you.”

“... I’m s-orry. I’m r-eally sorry.” She whispered in a broken voice. Her skin glistened with her sweat and tears.

“It’s okay, you’re okay. Hey, look at me.” Rai gently held Sin’s cheek.

She softly nuzzled the side of her head into it.

It’s so wet... just how much did he make you cry?

“Sin, I need you. Do you hear me?”

*Thump*

A soft nod. Rai could barely see or feel it, but it was definitely a nod.

“Okay, follow my voice and break out of the darkness. I need you in the light now.”

“I’m r-really sorry.” Sin whispered a final time.

“You’re doing great. Can you look at me now?”

Sin nodded again, with a bit more strength this time. She gently held Rai’s hand with her own.

*Thump*

She slowly creaked her head up to look at Rai.

Rai’s heart broke.

Sin’s eyes were red, and not in the normal way. They were strained. The skin just under her eyes was puffy, and her lips were still lightly trembling. This morning, Sin excitedly told Rai that she was going to try Lilly’s makeup today even though she didn’t normally wear makeup. Rai thought she looked beautiful in it when she showed him.

But... even that was smeared now.

Rai pulled her in. He held her gently.

“I’m sorry... that you went through all of that... I’m sorry that I wasn’t there... I’ll make it up to you, I promise!”

Sin nodded into his shoulder. She held Rai tight. Tighter than he’d ever felt her do before. Sin let out the remnants of her pain in this embrace.

*Thump*

After a minute or two, Sin let go.

“I’m... I’m ok-kay now. I t-think. Thank you...”

Rai smiled warmly at her.

Her tears are over... thank goodness.

*Crash!*

*Crack...*

*Smash!*

“What the fuck...”

Rai turned around to look at the group again.

They were all looking up at something in the reservoir.

SKRREEEEEEEEEE!

Rai quickly turned his head to see it.

A massive monster came out of the water and had destroyed half of the land around the reservoir. It was almost like a misty rainstorm, since the creature had splashed most of the water in the reservoir high up into the air.

What the fuck is that!?!

“... A leviathan.” Sin whispered.

“We’re... fucked.”

5