131. Price of Peace (Part 4)
88 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kallad noticed the difference between the people at the ports now, and how they were before.

Most of the ones that were dancing and full of energy before, were now drinking. The ones that were drinking before, were now almost completely wasted.

Somehow, the ports were even more busy now than when he first came here earlier in the night.

I suppose the party only gets wilder the later it goes on for.

Kallad walked past the sleeping officer, who seemed to not have moved since earlier.

Once Kallad was out of the bustle of the ports, he morphed into a raven and flew into the sky. Kallad knew that there were no longer any laws against using one’s divine form within the city, but he preferred the stealthy approach regardless.

Kallad made his way to the market district. This time, however, he wouldn’t go to the Dwarves’ Quarter.

The Chancellor wouldn’t be there.

There was only one place that the Chancellor could reliably be found.

The Auction House.

Kallad flew directly there.

The area was very different compared to the Dwarves’ Quarter. In the dwarves’ area, the vibe was very metallic, with many stalls selling created goods, as well as smiths displaying their armours and weapons. While there were other types of miscellaneous goods that one could find in the Dwarves’ Quarter, it was mostly designed with smiths and creators in mind. In the area surrounding the Auction House, however, there was none of that.

It was almost pristine.

Wide pathways lined the streets, and horse-drawn carriages often found their way here. There was such a large volume of people that typically attended the Auction House on their operating days that there was even a small zone for carriages to wait.

Surrounding the Auction House itself was a beautiful series of small fields that acted as a barrier that separated the Auction House from the rest of the market district. In a way, one could view this area as a large park with a big building in the middle of it. At least, that’s how many of the citizens residing within Aurum’s capital viewed it.

The Auction House itself was humungous. It was made of marble, with large pillars at its front, granting it a grand appearance. Large stairs led up to its massive archway entrance.

Kallad landed on the pathway leading to the stairs, and morphed back into himself.

He took a closer look at the Auction House’s building.

The pillars were adorned by elegant spirals that lined themselves around each pillar. The mausoleum-like front of the building most definitely felt like it was marketed towards richer folk. Any kind of grand appearance always functioned well as an incentive for rich people to visit. Most of the people who’d attended the Auction House often came from noble families. Though, there was the odd commoner who would find their way there after a long night out and enough drinks to remove their inhibitions. In those instances, the security would have a field day.

Kallad walked up the stairs, to be met by a guard.

“There ain’t any night au-”

The guard stared at Kallad. A look of realisation seemed to flutter across the man’s face.

“Pardon my disrespect, sir. Please, come through.”

Kallad nodded as the guard let him in.

He went to the receptionist desk. Kallad rang the small bell on the top of the desk, getting the attention of the gnome working away on the raised floor.

The gnome stumbled upon the bell ringing, dropping the papers he was moving from one place to another.

Kallad used telekinesis to pile them back together and place them on the desktop.

The gnome quickly bowed.

“Thank you sir. Auctions ain’t on for a while. We might ‘ave some secret ones poppin on though, if ya get my drift.” The gnome winked.

Kallad shook his head.

“I’m not here for an auction. I’m here to see the Chancellor.”

“... Seen. Then you’ll wanna ‘ead out back. Kiex’s been tending to Hoggy for the last couple hours. He might still be out there.”

“Appreciate it.”

“Not often I get to ‘elp an Aspect meet another Aspect. Pleasure’s all mine.”

Kallad nodded at the gnome who continued working shortly after he left.

He made his way through the Auction House to the back. The décor hasn’t changed much... still doesn’t fit Kiex’s personality though.

Kallad hadn’t been here in ages. The last time he was here was when he bought the ring that he’d gifted to Milly all those years ago. It was such a simple but beautiful ring. For some reason, no one else wanted to bid for it, so Kallad managed to get the ring without much hassle.

He would never forget the face Milly made when she saw the ring.

She berated him for spending money on something so expensive before he could tell her that he got it cheap.

Kallad chuckled to himself as he recalled the memory.

“You alright?”

Kallad looked down at the goblin. He was practically dressed in gold.

“I finish sortin’ Hoggy out, an’ I find you ‘ere laughin’ to yaself. I ‘ppreciate the visit ‘n all, redhead, but if ‘ats all you’re ‘ere for...”

“No no, I need to talk with you.”

“Well yeah, I figured as much. Makes more sense ‘an you losin’ your bloody mind ‘ere. C’mon ‘en.”

Kiex guided Kallad to his office.

They sat down on opposite sides of Kiex’s desk.

Kallad almost didn’t stop himself from laughing at the image of Kiex, the small goblin, sitting in a velvety royal-looking chair that was most definitely far too big for him.

He was impressed at the room’s décor though. For someone who loved to flaunt his wealth, Kiex’s office was relatively minimalist. This fits him more than whatever the fuck was going on out there.

“Well? Go on ‘en.” Kiex said as he flipped a gold coin between his fingers.

“Right. I want to make a deal.”

Kiex’s golden irises brightened a touch. A smirk crept onto his face.

“Now you’re talkin’ redhead! What kinda deal you gabbin’ ‘bout?”

“The Summit. I want your vote.”

“Eh? Why are you not the first to ask ‘bout that?”

“I’m not too sure.” Kallad lied. If he gave Kiex the impression that the vote meant more to him, then Kallad would probably get extorted.

“Whatever, I ain’t really care, ‘s long as mah pockets get a bit ‘eavier, y’getme?”

“Yes, of course. What was the other offer?”

“Make some guesses first, it’ll be more fun like ‘at.”

“Ugh, fine. 100 platinum pieces?”

“You think I’m cheap? I’m high class baby, ain’t no way I sell out for just a hundred platties!”

“Right, I knew as much. I was just testing you.”

“Damn right.”

“How about a thousand?”

“Right well I’m high class but I ain’t that high class fuckin ‘ell.”

“Hmm. 500?”

“You’re well shit at maths, y’know that redhead? Fuck me you’re borin’. If you can beat 600 platties some’ow, then my vote’s all yours.”

“How much to keep quiet about it?”

“Add another ‘undred.”

“Very well. 701 platties, as you put it. That’s my offer.”

“Mhmm... Very temptin’. Add a couple tomes from them private stashes I know you’re sittin’ on an’ you’ve got a deal.”

“... Tier?”

“Legendary, obviously. C’mon redhead, you ain’t thinking little o’ me just cos’ I’m little?”

“Never. For even thinking so poorly of me, I’ll only add a single tome.”

Kakakakak. I never thought I’d even get one, so I’ll take it!”

Shit. I got played. But it’s only a little loss. A single tome is nothing to pay for this.

“Consider the tome a gift then.”

“And consider my vote the same thing. How you want me to do it?”

“Vote against the Arbiter’s proposal.”

“Sorted. Payment?”

*Snap*

A pile of platinum pieces formed on the ground.

“It’s all there. I checked earlier.”

“Shit if I care about whether you checked it or not. I ain’t gonna take the bloody Deceiver at ‘is word. I’ll check it now, gimme a min.”

Kiex made a hole with his thumb and index finger. He looked through it.

A screen of silvery mana formed in the opening.

After a minute, Kiex dispersed the screen, and smiled at Kallad.

“Well, you’re right. ‘s all there. The tome?”

“You’ve got a choice. Blizzard, or Tree of Warmth?”

“Fuck healin’ shit. I’ll have Blizzard!”

Kallad snapped his fingers, causing a blue book to appear on Kiex’s desk from nothingness.

It had an incredibly beautiful design on the front, and the word ‘Blizzard’ etched into its cover.

“Bloody ‘ell. ‘as good quality ain’t it?” Kiex said as he held up the tome.

“It’s one of the Deceiver’s tomes. Of course it’s good quality.”

“Right. ‘at’ll do ‘en. Off you pop redhead.”

“... Seal it?”

“Ughhh! Fine! Considerin’ ‘am an Aspect, you really don’t trust me, do you?”

“Not as far as I could throw you.”

“I’d wager you could throw me pretty far, in all fairness. Believe in yourself a bit more, redhead.”

Kiex raised his hand, and stared into Kallad’s eyes.

His voice was laced by mana.

“I swear, I will vote against the Arbiter’s proposal in the Summit, and will remain silent about this deal for the rest of my life.”

An arcane seal appeared on Kiex’s palm, before sinking into his skin.

“How’s ‘at then?”

“Wonderful. Pleasure doing business with you.”

“Likewise. Take care, redhead.”

“And you, Kiex.”

Kallad left Kiex’s office.

If there’s one thing I can trust Kiex for, it’s his impartiality to money.

*Phew*

Great. That’s another vote sorted.

For now, that should be enough.

Kallad made his way back to the Secret, with a light feeling of relief in his heart. Considering the circumstances, he’d gotten off lucky. Not having to put up grimoires to win Kiex’s vote was a blessing.

As much as he wanted to give them to Rai and Sin now, he had to think about it. They might be useful trading pieces in future, so Kallad remained reserved about them.

For now, the Chancellor’s vote was secure.

Kallad had little to worry about for the Summit for now.

4