14. First Steps (Part 1)
336 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

How am I supposed to win against him, every time I step it up he always matches me. Rai’s ponytail whipped around as he zoomed across the field. Stormflow’s much stronger now, but it’s still not enough. I’ve even improved a shit-ton in swordsmanship, so how is the gap still this huge?!

The sounds of metal blades clanging against each other rang in Jin’s ears as Rai constantly flew past him, while aiming a strike at his vitals each time. Every strike was infused with lightning, as that’s how Rai developed Stormflow.

Jin continued blocking each of the strikes, and didn’t move an inch, “Your sword will crumble soon.”

Rai’s eyes were pure white, and he spoke in a voice laced with a crackling undertone, “I’m well aware, thank you!” It felt like the sword could last for another minute, so Rai would use that time to the best of his ability.

An instant. Rai practically teleported, but that was just how fast he was moving. The blade arced, aimed at Jin’s left shoulder. Rai was parried.

Jin moved just as fast as Rai in Stormflow. Rai knew he was a monster, but this was too much. How can I beat him...

Within twenty seconds, Rai was blocked or parried countless times. But still, he couldn’t make Jin step away from where he was stood. The only magic Rai was allowed to use was Stormflow, so he couldn’t shoot fire or lightning out of his other hand.

Jin spoke in a feral voice, as if he'd read Rai's mind, “The blade is the only answer you need.”

Rai didn’t have time to think about what he meant. The clangs between the swords echoed across the field, and each block resulted in a minor shockwave around them. Rai continued zipping back and forth, slightly altering his blade’s path as he struck, but each time it felt like there were no openings.

After nearly a full minute of failure, Rai went for a last ditch effort. This was something he’d only thought about doing before, he’d never actually tested it. He put a full fifth of his mana into Stormflow. His sword was only just able to sustain it for a single strike.

Jin felt the air change. It was heavy, thick with electric mana. He couldn’t block this one, or he might lose an arm. Trying to figure out what to do, Jin went over all of the techniques in his arsenal in that moment. As much as he didn’t want to move from where he stood, he figured that if Rai could reach this level after seven years, then he deserved a win.

Rai was about to dash towards Jin for his final strike when Jin dropped his sword. “What are you doing? It’s not over yet!” His voice continued to crackle with energy.

Jin moved from where he stood, his wolf-like amber eyes gave away nothing but a tinge of pride. “You’ve won. I would rather you didn’t destroy my precious fields just to get me to move a step.”

Rai was confused for a moment, before realising what Jin was saying. He withdrew Stormflow, and withdrew the lightning that imbued his sword. As he did, the blade of the sword crumbled into ashes that blew away in the wind. Rai bowed to his teacher, copying the gesture of respect he learned from Sindyl.

Jin looked at the boy as he rose from his bow. Now sixteen years old, Rai’d grown into a handsome young man, with a lean body and athletic build. These last eight years he’d spent teaching Rai how to use a sword, and how to complete the sword dance with only a single blade. Jin noticed Rai’s hair was even longer now, and was tied into a full-fledged ponytail that reached down the middle of his back, just like his own. His eyes were still as bright as ever, a blue that had endless potential, just like the sky.

Jin thought back to when he returned from Kallad’s Castle in the Underworld. Rai didn’t take the news well. But, both him and Sindyl got used to the new situation quickly, as they ended up speaking to each other more than before. That communication system was almost instantaneous, and included the option to play messages back later. Only the Tinkerer could have made such a device. Jin wondered what strings Kallad had to pull to get that device made.

Breaking Jin away from his stupor, Rai ran up to him and hugged him tight. “Thank you thank you thank you!! We better keep doing our lessons though, you’ve taught me so much and I know you’re hiding some more tricks up your sleeve.” Rai beamed at him, with a similar goofy grin to what he would wear when he was a child.

Jin softly smiled back, “Of course, you’re going to keep learning until you can win against me in a full on fight.”

Rai stared back at him deadpan. “... That’s not happening. You’re a monster.”

Jin looked at him for a moment, before bursting out in laughter. Rai followed suit. After a few moments, Jin spoke again, “You still have to pass your aunt’s test. She won’t let you go to the Academy otherwise.”

Rai thought about the prospect of not seeing his childhood friend again, and his laughter subsided, “I’ll pass no matter what.” He spoke with conviction.

Jin placed a hand on Rai’s shoulder, “Good. Then let’s go get you fed before her test tonight. Aether Academy doesn’t host its entrance exams for another month at least, so you can spend some time for yourself afterwards.”

Rai nodded and walked alongside Jin as they went back into the house. The world felt peaceful. The twin suns were directly above them, and provided a nice heat that mixed with the cool breeze. Rai’s seals on his wrists were just as snug as always, since they grew alongside him. They absorbed the suns’ light, which made his wrists a bit hotter than he would’ve liked.

Rai and Jin got back to the house after a short walk, with Elira sat outside under a makeshift shade... a big leaf?. Elira turned her attention to them as they got closer to the house, “It’s about time. Was wondering where you were. Reiki said you’d be quicker than that.” She stood up, stretching her right arm from her chest all the way out. “Release.” The giant leaf shrunk back into the ground, and the place she was previously sat was once again enveloped in light. “Eat. Then we’ll begin.”

Rai noticed that she was already in her ‘teacher mode’. No longer his aunt, Elira became a strict tutor who wanted to see results. Rai was somewhat anxious because he knew nothing about what the test would entail. But one thing was for certain, if he ate his mum’s cooking, he’d be ready for anything.

They entered the house, and were greeted by a tender, meaty smell. Mum cooked meat! My favourite... Rai could almost cry he was so happy. He ran into the kitchen to see a pot full of rice and meats, with his mum mixing in the sauces. He ran over and gave her a hug, which startled her.

Reiki turned to her son, “Just how hungry are you?”

He smiled at her, “I’m famished, Jin just worked me to the bone.”

She giggled, “I see, then you better eat well! Here, it’s almost ready. Take however much you want and eat at the table.”

Rai filled his plate and turned to her before going to the table, “I’ll wait for you before eating.”

Reiki gave him a soft smile, “I’ll be right there!”

Moments later, Rai saw his mother come through the door and sit at the table with him. She had a plate of food of her own, though it seemed to have lots of chilli flakes on it. His mother loved spice, but he could never match her tolerance for it.

Rai and his mother ate, as Jin and Elira stayed outside talking about whatever they were talking about.

After they finished eating, Reiki asked Rai, “Good?”

Rai sat back and rubbed his stomach with a satisfied air about him, “Absolutely amazing. It’s always better than Dorothy’s if you make it mum. Even Ms. Talvier couldn’t make such a good meal.”

Reiki covered her mouth, then gasped, “You can’t be speaking ill of Ms. Talvier’s food like that!”

They looked at each other and chuckled.

Reiki’s mood shifted slightly, “If you’ve finished up, take the plates to the kitchen before you go to your aunt.”

Rai smiled; then did exactly as he was told.

After cleaning the dishes, Rai went back outside to see Elira and Jin heatedly discussing something. He knew they didn’t exactly get along that well, so this was a somewhat common occurrence.

Elira noticed his presence and stopped her discussion abruptly, turning to Rai, “Are you ready?”

Rai nodded, “I think so.”

Elira smirked, “Then let’s begin.”

13