3. The Dance (Part 2)
579 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two months after witnessing the spectacle of the sword dance, Rai had a weekly schedule that he’d follow. As if it was instinct by now, he imbued mana into his seals and with a flash of crackling white energy a journal manifested itself from his spatial storage. It’s never as smooth as Aunt Elly’s. He observed. Whenever he stored or drew anything from his storage, there was always some form of lightning-type energy surrounding the object.

According to his Aunt, every mage found their manifestation of mana drawn to an element, or elemental deviation, and for Rai that was lightning. He liked that he was different from his Aunt. He supposed that she’d like that too, given how much she preaches about the importance of creativity in how one manipulates mana.

Rai opened his journal to remind himself of his schedule for the week. The week was split into seven days, Unusdies, Duodies, Trisdies, Quattordies, Quinquies, Seniodies, and Septemdies. On Unusdies and Trisdies he would have magic lessons with Elira, and on Duodies and Quattordies he would have sword lessons with Jin. Rai often spent his spare time training in both fields to perfect his learnings of the week, but still had to complete his chores around the house and farm, spend time with his mum, and make trips to Acies every now and then to sell off the harvest or just for some downtime with Jin and his mum.

Today was Unusdies, and Aunt Elly was ready to teach Rai how to properly mould mana. Previously, she helped him visualise mana and get a handle on it, teaching him to simply imbue objects with it. Though, since he was young, Rai could perfectly envisage mana and its flow as if it were clear as day, without even needing to concentrate very much on it. Of course, Elira was somewhat envious of his ability to perfectly see the arcane, given that for everyone else it was always muddy and foggy, requiring a great deal of concentration to see.

Rai was always curious. He experimented outside of lessons and learned a few small tricks, simply by flowing and concentrating mana in a single area of his body he could strengthen it. He wished he could use that for his chores.

Turning the corner around the back of the house, he saw his Aunt.

Without looking at him, “Today we’ve got a lot to get through, so focus up Rai.”

“Yes ma’am.” Aunt Elly seems to turn into a different person when she’s teaching, best to just follow her lead.

“We’re going to learn about internal and external manifestation of mana. Tell me what you’ve learned about mana so far.”

A test. “Mana is the lifeblood of a mage, a resource in the world that we can build up within our bodies and use to cast spells.” Rai fiddled with his bands, which became something he’d do whenever he was contemplating or thinking about something.

“A rudimentary understanding. The first part is mostly correct, but mana is not simply used to cast spells. It can be moulded and shaped into desire. Your ability as a mage depends on how creative you can be in the application of mana, not on how much mana you have as some people might believe.”

Rai listened attentively as Elira carried on the lecture.

“Mana flows through the channels in your body, which develop more as you use it. People with very little mana can still use it, if only to imbue their bodies or weapons. You know of magical gem embedding?”

Rai thought back to seeing gems embedded in the hilts and blades of some of the adventurers weapons in Acies. They looked nice, but were also practical. “It’s when an artificer creates a gem that will grant a desired effect when mana is imbued into it. A smith creates weapons and armour with mana channels and sockets so people with little mana can still activate magical effects using these gems that are embedded or socketed.”

“I see you’ve kept up with your readings. Well done.”

I only asked the travellers in Acies, but I’ll take the compliment. Rai smiled warmly back at Elira.

Elira smiled back, but only for a second before getting back to business, “What do you know of divine forms?”

This was something Rai felt anxious about, since his mother had no divine form. According to his mother, his father had none either. With an initial tremble in his voice, which calmed as he spoke, “A divine form is part of our physiology as residents of Zenith. Most people have one. Divine forms come from your clan, most of the Life clan have drake or wyvern divine forms, while some rarely awaken into dragons. There are some people who have no divine form, and some who have irregular divine forms.”

“Very good. It seems you’ve studied over our last few lessons well.” Elira shifted, which meant the test was over and it was time to start the actual lesson. “I assume you know nothing of internal or external manifestation of mana?”

“I’ve experimented a bit and was able to imbue my muscles with mana to strengthen them.”

“Good, experimentation is key, it’s the way to teach yourself outside of what you’re taught.” Elira paused for a moment, then seemed to compose herself. “I identified that your body is most accustomed to lightning, so manifesting lightning through mana would be easiest for you. But today, we’re going to look at all of the main elements.”

Rai felt a flutter of butterflies in his stomach, he was excited to learn something completely new today.

“You already know about lightning, it’s the most destructive and fastest element. But that doesn’t mean it’s the best to use in all situations.” Elira conjured a miniature whirlwind in her right palm. “The wind element is useful when you need to throw an opponent off guard, or when you need to float, or raise objects.” The whirlwind shifted to a ball of water. “Water can be used to heal, or suspend objects in space.” The ball of water popped, splashing over Elira’s hand. A flame flickered. The water slowly drifted into steam. “Fire can be used as a source of heat, of life. But it can easily destroy everything in its path.” In her left hand she conjured a chunk of earthen rock. “However, there are some obstacles that even fire cannot break through.” The flame in her right palm flew toward the rock and dissipated into nothingness upon contact, leaving a scorched mark on the rock.

Rai watched in full concentration, he seemed entranced by the possibilities afforded to him if he could master the elements.

“Lightning affinity is rare. I’ve never seen it before, and I’ve travelled all across Zenith. But you’re not the only person with a rare affinity, so don’t underestimate your colleagues, or other mages you come across.”

Rai’s chest welled up; he had a new air of pride about him.

“For the rest of the lesson, You’re going to learn to externally manifest fire and water.”

He nodded.

“To manifest fire as I’ve just done, you have to picture your internal mana coalescing into your palm and morphing to fit your desire.” She knew Rai would have no problem with this, given his abnormal mental acuity. “Imagine the mana taking on the characteristics of fire, burning with incredible heat, uncontrolled and wild, alive. Even with your mana mostly sealed, you should be able to do this. Remember, it’s your mind that controls your ability, not the amount of mana you have access to.”

After a few minutes of contemplation, Rai held out his right arm with his palm faced upwards. Flicker. With the sound of a match, a flame burst into being in his hand. It was raw. Wildly dancing with the wind, the orange flame revealed hints of red in its core, beneath the flailing fires that grew upward.

No longer surprised at anything Rai accomplished, Elira simply said “Well done, now try to manifest water.” Her emerald eyes looked through him in a way that indicated it was meant to be a challenge.

No instructions this time. Rai took a mental note whenever Elira stepped up the difficulty, it was like she wanted him to think critically about whatever he was doing. He felt that she was a good teacher.

The fire in his hand died down, with only its embers remaining.

If fire was uncontrolled and wild, then water, the opposite of fire, would be soft and serene. It’s free flowing. Rai pictured mana flowing through his channels, coalescing into a ball in his palm. Making mana flow was instinctive to him, but attaching properties to the mana was new for him, and took some time to adjust to.

After about ten minutes, marginally longer than it took for him to manifest the flame, Rai succeeded. A crude ball, if one could even call it a ball, of water floated just above his palm.

“You pick things up fast. Good job, take a break, then practice some more. I have business to attend to so this lesson will be cut short. I’m sorry but I won’t be able to come again this week, so take some time for yourself. Give your mum my love.” Reiki and Jin were in Acies.

While he wanted to continue with Aunt Elly’s guidance, he knew her position, and that her even being here was putting her position in danger. She was the Sage. Her duty to the clan was also important. So he thanked her with a hug, and she hurriedly left the farm. She seems.. more stressed than usual.

Rai shrugged to himself, then went back inside to rest after his lesson.

16