15. First Steps (Part 2)
325 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elira and Rai sat under the tree just next to the house. She looked at him for a moment before speaking. “You’re probably confused about what this test is going to be, right?”

Rai just nodded.

“Okay, well the test is simple. Release all of your mana.”

What. How’s that a test? Does she even realise what she’s asking me?

Rai had never consciously released his mana beyond a fifth of what was sealed. “I can’t. It’s too dangerous.” There was a sinking feeling within him that screamed at him not to release the seals all the way.

“Oh? How interesting. Here I thought you were the curious one, the one who wanted to learn about everything to do with the arcana.” Elira tried to goad him into it.

Rai shook his head, “I can’t Aunt Elly. There’s a feeling inside that’s clawing at me, it says not to do it. So I won’t.” As much as he wanted to know what would happen if he did, Rai trusted his instincts.

Elira sighed, “Fine. You pass the first test.”

Eh?

“Eh?” Rai was utterly confused.

Elira reassured him, “I just wanted to make sure you wouldn’t release all of your mana under any circumstances. To see if that message was properly embedded within. The next test will be a little bit more boring.”

Rai felt somehow cheated, but continued regardless, “Okay, what’s the next test.”

Elira started moving her hands in a weird gesture, “We need to see how developed your mana channels are, since you’ll need to be able to use magic with minimal mana drain. Your efficiency is the most important thing. If they’re up to a standard that I’m satisfied with, then you’ll pass. I already know you can cast spells without incantations, and you can control most of the elements at will now, but this is far more important for your adaptability at the Academy.”

Rai listened, digested the information, then asked, “Right, so what do I need to do?”

Elira finished her gestures, which were in fact her drawing on the air. “Nothing.” She’d drawn a square with another square... with another square... how many squares did she need? She began the incantation. Her eyes didn’t change, but there was a boom in her voice as she spoke:

Ostende mihi veritatem, Revela!

Rai looked around to see motes of mana flying every which way. All of them were different colours and behaved differently. The red ones were erratic, the blue ones would move in waves, the green ones were fast, while the yellow ones were slow. There were other colours too, that he didn’t expect, purple, white, black, even some rainbow coloured motes, and some that were completely translucent with only their outlines visible. Rai could see faint lines connecting different parts of the world around him, the trees, the ground, even the house. The feeling was indescribable, but it gave Rai the impression that mana is... alive. Then it was gone.

Elira dispelled the incantation, and looked into Rai’s eyes. “I don’t know how that Stormflow of yours has caused this, but your mana channels are strong. Very strong. They’ll withstand all of the hard hitting spells you’ll try to cast.” She sighed, “Alright, you pass. You can go to Aether Academy.”

Rai reacted a second late, because Elira looked at him as if he wasn’t even there, then he jumped at her and hugged her. “Thank you for teaching me magic all this time, I’ve learned so much from you!”

Elira patted his back, “And you’ve more to learn little one, so go to the Academy and make friends, learn who you want to be, and please for the love of the Aspects don’t do anything that will raise suspicions of you, or get you in trouble.”

Rai laughed, “Of course, I won’t do anything stupid I promise.”

The two had an observer, Reiki was outside. She had a heavy look on her face, which Rai realised immediately.

Reiki’s eyes looked heavy as she aimed them at Rai, “Come inside, please.”

Rai turned to his aunt, and she nodded softly with a deflated smile.

Rai followed his mother inside.

He could tell something was up, normally she’d be really happy about him passing Jin’s test, then his aunt’s test on the same day.

Reiki sat in her chair, then indicated for Rai to sit on the chair beside her. There was a long wooden box on the table opposite them, which Rai hadn’t ever seen before.

Reiki looked at Rai for what felt like an eternity to him, then let out a heavy sigh. “You look just like him. Your father.”

Rai had never seen his mother’s emerald eyes so sad before. “You miss him a lot don’t you.” He studied the faint wrinkles that were starting to develop on his mother’s face. She was getting older right in front of him.

She nodded, “Every day.” In an attempt to steel herself, Reiki shook her head and lightly slapped her cheeks. “Okay. I brought you in to tell you about him, that was what he wanted me to do when you were old enough.”

Rai wore a look of confusion, “What do you mean? You’ve already told me about him. He was a traveller who stayed at the farm, you two fell in love, la di doo da. What else is there to say?”

Reiki stifled a soft giggle, “Yes, I’ve told you that much. But what I haven’t told you is who he was. And why he was at the farm in the first place.”

Rai didn’t really think much of it before now. He knew his father liked learning about history, from what his mother told him. He also knew that his father was a traveller who went across all the lands in Zenith.

Reiki began, “Well, to start with, you should probably know that he was an Aspect. In fact, he was the previous Warden.” She waited for the reaction.

And it came, “WHAT?! What the actual fu-”

“Hey. No swearing in the house.”

Rai rubbed his head, “Okay, sorry. Tell me more, please.”

She continued, “He was in hiding, running away from the Arbiter’s forces because he learned something that he shouldn’t have.” Rai was going to interrupt but Reiki indicated to let her finish, “Your father, Varon, discovered the truth of the world. He only told me that much, but that was enough for the Arbiter to place an execution order on his head.” She took a sip of water before continuing, “He said that if his child ever wanted to find him, then they would have to follow his path. You would need to explore the ruins underneath Fisthold on the western edge of the Great Plains. That’s where his path began, he said.”

Rai was overwhelmed, the amount of information his mum just dropped on him was crazy. My dad is still alive? I can find him if I follow his path... “Mum. I want to find him.”

Reiki nodded with a smile, “I knew you’d say that. It’s why I had this ready.” She pointed to the box that was on the table in front of them. “This was something he left me, and, well, I have no use for it so. It’s yours now. Go ahead, open it.” Reiki grew a massive smile on her face.

Rai felt somewhat anxious, he couldn’t feel any magical signatures from the box, in fact just looking at it made him think the box was empty. First, Rai untied the white ribbon that was covering the box, letting it fall to the side onto the table. He slid his hand across the box’s surprisingly smooth lid, which had an indent for a finger to fit in and lift the lid.

He flipped the lid open.

Rai just looked into the box, at the pure black sword that lay there in its silk bedding. “You're telling me he left you a sword? You, someone who wouldn't harm a fly? What's wrong with him...” Reiki covered her mouth as she giggled.

Rai continued analysing the sword. “It’s just like a katana, but it has no guard.” He whispered, not realising that he was voicing his thoughts. He lifted the sword, feeling its lightness in his grip. Its lightness couldn’t hide the fact that this sword was made with some of the best materials he’d ever seen, he thought it was probably on the same level as Jin’s twin katanas. His seals were the only other thing that could compare. In place of a guard, there was a smooth diamond shaped hole, with curved edges on either side of it that stuck out just a little. The grip was perfect, its dark grey wrappings looked wildly thrown on, but it felt great to hold. The pommel of the hilt was a similar diamond shaped hole as the one just above the grip, below the blade. It was perfectly balanced.

Reiki let Rai observe the blade for a moment before speaking. “Its name is Ghost. You can imbue magic into it freely, without embedded gems.”

Rai held the blade up and looked into it, “Ghost.” He whispered again. Can this blade withstand lightning?

Rai took the sword outside, and Reiki followed behind him. She knew what he wanted to test.

Jin was sat on a chair next to Elira, who was reading a book. They watched as Rai brought the sword out. Jin's eyes widened, “I haven’t seen that sword in a long time.” He turned to his daughter, “You gave him Ghost? It’s a named sword you know, very few swords are made to the standard that they get their own names.”

Reiki nodded, “I know, it was his father’s so it should go to him.”

Jin agreed, “He needed a blade that was fit for him. I suppose he should thank his dad when he eventually meets him.”

They all watched as Rai held the blade out.

Stormflow.

Rai imbued the blade with lightning, and saw something in the sword he couldn’t see previously. They looked like cracks that spread out like tree roots across Ghost’s blade, but they were more like windows that revealed the mana flowing in the blade. They brimmed with white crackling energy. Rai’s lightning. The diamond holes in the hilt now had screens of pure white across them.

His curiosity got the best of him, and he tried imbuing the sword with different elements. Each of them had their own unique colour that filled the holes and cracks in the sword, as well as their own effect on the sword’s blade itself.

Satisfied, Rai withdrew Stormflow, and the rest of his mana that he imbued into the sword. He walked over to Jin, handed him the sword for a moment, then gave his mum a huge hug. “Thank you for telling me about him, and for this.”

Reiki returned the embrace, “It was only a mother’s duty, and the sword is yours. Do what you want with it.”

Rai took the sword from Jin, then thought for a few seconds about what he should do with it. In an instant, bright lightning flashed around the sword, and it vanished. Rai stored it in his seals.

Elira spoke without looking up from her book, “Don’t rest easy just yet. You still have the Academy entrance exams to deal with.”

Reiki waved it away as a non-issue, “He’ll smoke those exams, after all he’s my baby boy!”

Elira raised a single eyebrow toward her sister, “And when was the last time you passed an exam?”

Reiki thought for a moment, then turned to Rai with a worried face, “You better prepare well for the exam.”

Rai chuckled, “I’ll do my best, mum!”

 


 

Sat on the roof of Townsend, watching the twin suns sit on the horizon, alone, Rai thought about how he hadn’t been able to talk to Sindyl for the past few months since she was preparing hard for the entrance exams to Aether Academy. It’ll only be a couple days until we can meet again, I can’t wait to see her!

He was glad that his mum and Jin came to send him off in Acies. The one thing he didn’t want to do was say goodbye to everyone he loved at different times. He’d spend the night at Townsend, then everyone would send him off in the morning and he’d spend the day in Aurum. Luckily, Ms. Talvier set him up with a place to stay the night, then he’d go from there to the entrance exam the next day. According to his aunt, who wasn’t able to come due to clan business, they put the names of the people who pass on a big board at the end of the day. If your name isn’t there, then you go home and try again next year.

Even though he had ample storage space in his seals, they were way too flashy when he used them, so he had a knapsack with a change of clothes and basic necessities. He spent some time recollecting what his aunt told him about the entrance exams.

There were three basic tests, a written test, a practical exam, and a magical aptitude test. You only needed to pass two of the three tests to be accepted into the Academy, but if you were in the top scorers then you’d get the headmaster’s attention. That meant the possibility of being tutored directly by the headmaster. Since all students had to live on campus during semester time, it would’ve been a blessing for anyone.

Rai could hear the bustle of the nightlife within the Inn, and the rest of the town. Even though it was a rural area, and the town wasn’t all that developed, the sense of community he felt in Acies was something he grew attached to. Though, up here on the roof, he felt peaceful. He thought back to Sin resting on his shoulder, and how they came to the roof of Townsend and did the same thing for every sunset when she visited.

Rai really missed her. Sin was his first friend, and even though they’d talked through Kallad’s device, it wasn’t the same as if they were together in person. If there was one thing that Rai was looking forward to most, it was seeing Sin again. I wonder how strong she’s grown... I can’t wait to show her Stormflow.

Jolted out of his thoughts, Rai heard his mother’s voice from the roof entrance behind him, “Don’t forget to sleep, you have to wake up early tomorrow.”

Rai listened to his mum’s advice, “Best go to sleep now then, I’ll see you in the morning!”

As his mum nodded and went back inside, Rai took one last look at the horizon, before heading off to bed.

 


 

Rai could feel the heat of the twin suns through the window as he got ready to set off for Aurum. He was excited, while also slightly nervous. This was the first time he would set foot in Aurum. Rai thought about the meeting he’d inevitably have with Sin. There was a mixture of hopeful anticipation and a tinge of worry. What if she doesn’t recognise me. No, don’t be silly, how could she not recognise me. Knowing her, I’m sure she’s thinking the same thing.

There was a knock on the open door, with a fat old dwarf stood at the doorway. “Portal’s ready for ye now lad. Ye’d best be off before yer ma decides to keep ya. Go on, give yer goodbyes and piss off.” The dwarf saw the boy like a nephew, and spoke with typical dwarven endearment.

Rai put on the knapsack and then shook Bort’s hand, “Thank you Bort, take care of mum for me will you?”

Bort nodded, “Aye, been watchin’ over ‘er since she was a kid, I’ll continue doin’ it ‘til the day I die.” He gave Rai a firm hug before shooing him out of the room.

Rai left the room and went downstairs to the mostly empty inn. There were a few tables that had one or two customers drinking their morning teas and enjoying their soups. He went outside to see his mum and Jin waiting.

Reiki looked at her son who was growing fast in front of her eyes. “You better ignore anyone who seems strange, and don’t get into any fights before you get accepted into the school-”

Rai interjected, “But it’s okay to get into fights after I’m accepted?” He winked.

Reiki scowled at him, “No. Avoid fights please. I don’t want to have to deal with you accidentally killing a kid because you’re too strong. I mean I will if I have to, but please don’t make me.”

Rai realised his mother was, in fact, not worried for him at all. But worried for the people he’d face off against. “Don’t worry, I won’t kill anyone.”

Reiki cupped Rai’s cheeks in her hands, “If you need to choose between killing someone or dying yourself, then do whatever you need to survive. I want you to come back home.”

Jin raised an eyebrow toward his daughter, “He’s only going to school.”

Reiki turned to Jin, “Yes, but you know what the nobles are like. And their kids are just like them, I’d rather deal with the backlash of a noble’s death than losing my son.”

Rai raised his hand to embrace his mother’s, “Don’t worry mum. I’ll be fine, I promise to come back whenever I can. I’ll try to bring Sin too!”

Reiki digressed, “Alright, I look forward to it!”

Rai turned to Jin, “Any final advice before I leave?”

Jin shook his head, “You know everything you need to, for now.”

Rai fastened his knapsack a bit tighter, as if to show he was ready to leave now. “Right then, I’ll be off.”

After a round of hugs and kisses, Rai walked towards the elegantly designed portal. The marble was completely clear of any blemishes or cracks, and the gold inlays were as shiny as he’d ever seen them. The portal shimmered in the twin suns’ light.

Alright, here we go.

Rai took his first steps into a new world.

14