58. A Brief Respite (Part 1)
201 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hi all! If you're enjoying the story and want to support me then feel free to do so on Patreon!

Patreon is 10 chapters ahead of what's releasing here so if you also want to read ahead then you can do so over there!

https://www.patreon.com/Vertrixx

Amy and Lina waited just outside the entrance to the West ground. Students from Joey’s class were leaving. The students walking by discussed a lot of the events that took place in their lesson. Amy and Lina couldn’t believe what they were hearing.

Tullian was a hot topic of conversation.

Amy leaned over to her sister’s side. “Hey, you heard from those guys leaving right! Tullian fought a wicked battle!” She flittered around Lina like a butterfly, “I can’t wait to see him all sweaty and tired!” Amy’s lips curled into a sinister grin.

Lina couldn’t grasp how her sister could so easily talk about her desires like that. She wanted to be able to do that herself. Still, Amy was disregarding a huge bombshell that the other students were dropping as they left the hall, “I just hope they’re okay. One of those guys said that Rai was on the ground for some reason.” She was clearly worried.

Amy elbowed her sister’s side, eliciting a yelp from her, “Scared for your boy crush?” She winked at her sister.

Lina profusely shook her head, “He’s not my crush!” She thought about Feris’s wild introduction to the group at lunch, “Really... he’s not.”

Amy bounced around in front of Lina, “Are you blushing? He’s totally your crush!”

Lina sighed, “There’s no getting through that dense skull of yours. You and Tullian really are two peas in a pod.”

Amy’s mouth widened in to a massive grin, “You really think so?!” She breathed a sigh of relief, “I’m glad you approve of him.”

Lina felt slighted. However, her annoyance at her sister soon disappeared. She looked up from where her sister stood in front of her.

Amy tilted her head, “Why you looki-” A shadow formed on Lina. Amy turned around. All she could see was a massive chest. She looked up.

Tullian was looking down at her, “Hey- OOF!”

Amy’s fist was smoking. She punched him in the gut. After a second, she realised what she did. “SHIT! Tullian are you okay?! You scared me!”

Tullian groaned as he curled over slightly to massage his abdomen. “It’s okay, I’m fine. It’s my fault, I think.”

Amy’s eyebrow twitched, “You think? Of course it was, ya big dumb doofus.” She sighed, “It’s good to see you though.” She was disappointed that he wasn’t as sweaty as she wanted, “Where are Rai and Sindyl?”

Tullian smiled, “Rai’s an idiot.”

Amy and Lina stared at him. They were so confused that their expressions somehow confused Tullian.

Tullian stared back at them, “What?”

Amy facepalmed, “You... How are we... What does that even mean?!” Lina nodded in agreement with her sister’s befuddlement.

Tullian rubbed the back of his head, “Ah! That’s what you meant. Rai was lying down and Sindyl was sat next to him. Oh yeah, there was another girl as well, but I don’t remember anything about her.”

Amy couldn’t possibly be more confused than right in this moment. “I’m just gonna go in and check for myself.” She gently pushed Tullian aside and walked through to the West ground. Lina followed.

They both momentarily lost control of their jaws. The West ground was full of useful stuff. Even though neither of the twins used the kind of machines that were set up there, it was still a spectacle to see. This whole area was set up to be used as an outdoor gymnasium. There were even weapon racks and a full-fledged ring for sparring.

Lina loved how beautiful the area was, even though it was clearly made for fighting. There was grass everywhere, with flowers growing in patches all across the zone. It was the subtle beauty of the ground that mixed in with the rustic scene on top of it that she appreciated. Her appreciation dwindled when she saw Rai laying on the ground with Sindyl and a blonde girl both sat on either side of him.

Amy noticed as well, since she nodded at her sister and ran ahead towards them. Lina followed.

Rai sighed, “I told you, I’m fine now. We can’t keep the others waiting.”

Sin was sweating, but she continued to maintain the spell. “Your mind might be fine, but I can clearly see that your body isn’t.” Along Rai’s uniform were rips caused by the malfunctioning Stormflow. Normally, Rai’s lightning wouldn’t affect whatever he was wearing. His clothes weren’t the issue though. It was the skin underneath. There were signs of scorch marks that Sin saw through the rips in his clothes. “I’ll heal you, so just sit tight.”

A boisterous voice came from her right. “How’d he end up like this?”

Sin turned to see Amy’s face right in front of her. It nearly broke her concentration, but she persevered. “He’s an idiot.”

Amy stared at her, “Right...”

Lina still had no clue what the phrase meant, but she was glad to see her friends in high spirits despite the situation they were in.

Amy turned to the blonde girl. “Who are you?”

Mary quietly yelped. “I’m... Mary.”

Sin smiled. “She’s our new friend. She’s a bit shy so don’t overwhelm her. Rai’s going to take her back to the headmaster’s office before we go... I just have to heal this-” A soft hand rested on Sin’s shoulder.

Amy smiled at her, “I got it.”

Sin thought about it for a second. She ceded Rai’s care to Amy. If anyone out of us can heal him, it’s definitely her. Even though I haven’t seen her progress directly... I can tell. She’s gotten so much stronger since their spar.

Rai smiled nervously at her, “I hope you’re not mad about the fight... You’re not mad about the fight... Right?”

Amy grinned, with a hint of manic air about her. “Riiiiiiight...”

Rai held his smile. I’m going to die. I’ll miss you mum, Jin. He reached out for Sin’s hand.

Sin held his hand. She could read Rai’s face, and right now she could see the fear in his eyes. He really is simultaneously the dumbest and smartest person I know... it’s kinda cute...

Amy transformed.

Tullian let out a soft whistle. He didn’t get to properly see her divine form during their spar a month ago. Now that he got to see it, he was amazed.

Mary stared at Amy in awe. Never before had she seen such a divine form. She didn’t even know if she had one of her own, but looking at Amy now made her want one for herself.

Lina smiled. Her own divine form wasn’t much different from her sister’s, but whenever she saw Amy transform it always made her happy for some reason.

Sin noticed the differences in Amy’s divine form from the last time she saw it. Amy’s skin took on a shimmering glow just underneath the surface. It was almost like her skin had transformed into subtle scales. The same gills that Sin saw last time formed on Amy’s neck. Her curly brown hair glowed golden, along with her elven ears. This time, her mismatched eyes shone with a serenity only seen in the ocean.

She’d become a Siren.

Sin’s mimic wasn’t perfect, since it drew from Amy’s original Siren form. She’s already improved this much. I’m so happy for her. Sin smiled as she watched the spectacle.

Even in just an incantation, Amy’s voice was melodic.

O maris vires. Sana hanc miseram animam.

Rai felt his body submerge in water. All of a sudden, he could see into the depths of the ocean. There was nothing. Absolutely nothing. Only water, as far as his eye could see. Surely there would be like a rock or something... How is there nothing at all?

A rumbling voice beckoned from the depths.

“Is that my dinner?”

Rai felt like he was being chased, but he couldn’t swim.

Rai reappeared in the West ground. He sat up, panting. “Did... Did you guys see that!?”

Sin poked through the holes in his uniform and looked into them, “Yep. All healed up. Amy, you’re a miracle worker!”

Amy withdrew her divine form, “Thank you kindly!”

Tullian walked up to her, causing her to gulp. He was blushing. “Your divine form is beautiful.” He walked back to his seat.

Amy stared at him. “HUH?” She ran over to him and started poking him in his sides, causing him to giggle uncontrollably. She was smiling.

Rai rested his arms on his knees as he leaned forward. He whispered under his breath, “None of you saw that... What the fuck.”

Sin tapped his arm, “Saw what?”

Rai mimicked a huge ball with his arms, “The whole ocean. There was nothing there, and then there was a voice that said something about... eating me.” Shivers ran down his spine.

Sin pinched him. “What on Zenith are you talking about?”

Rai shook his head, then turned his attention to Amy, “Amy, what was that I saw?”

Amy thought about it for a moment. Oh... “It’s a side-effect of that healing spell. Since the spell comes directly from the Siren-folk, it has some of their nightmare inducing magic still attached to it. I don’t have much control over it yet, but I will with time. Sorry about that.” She giggled awkwardly.

Rai’s worry was relieved. He was scared about it being something like another premonition, or another celestial message or something. “It’s fine, thanks for letting me know.”

After a moment, Rai got up. “Okay!” He triumphantly declared to everyone, “Let’s g-OWOWOWIEE”

Sin pinched his ear. “You have another job to attend to, don’t you?” She was scowling at him.

Rai’d forgotten. “Ah right. I’ll get right on that, you guys wait outside the Academy for me, will you?”

Sin’s expression softened, “We will. Don’t be long.”

Rai smiled, “You got it.”

He turned around to Mary, and held his hand out for her to stand up.

Mary didn’t flinch. Actually, it would be more apt to say that Mary forced herself not to flinch. Rai had done nothing but kind things for her, so she wanted to trust him. In all her life before this day, she could count the amount of kind people she’d met on a single hand. But now, after meeting Rai and his friends... there was a sliver of hope.

She took his hand. “I’m ready.”

Rai grinned, “Then let’s go.”

The two of them walked to Rodrick’s office. Rai limped every now and then, since his body was still aching from using Stormflow like an idiot. Mary’s body still ached from the matron’s beatings. Upon thinking back to it, she unknowingly shed tears.

Rai noticed, “You alright?”

Mary shook her head and wiped her tears, “I don’t want to go back.”

Rai smiled softly at her, “I don’t think you will. Rodrick is a good guy, sometimes. He’ll make sure you’re in a good place, probably.” Rai didn’t entirely believe his own words, but he tried to say what he thought Mary needed to hear.

Mary nodded.

The two continued walking, when they saw George running away from the headmaster’s office while covering his face with his arm. His tears flew behind him as he ran. Rai could only imagine what the punishment was for his action in class earlier.

They arrived at Rodrick’s office.

Rai knocked on the door.

The headmaster’s voice came from within, “Come in.”

Rai opened the door. There were two figures in the room. Lillia turned from facing Rodrick’s desk to face the door. Upon seeing Rai her eyebrow twitched, but she didn’t say anything. Rai stared at her. She really does hate me, doesn’t she?

Rodrick spoke from behind her, “Rai and Mary? Come. Sit.” Rodrick gestured towards the seats in front of the desk, for the two of them to sit down.

The two of them walked in and sat on the seats in front of the desk, beside the standing Lillia. Rai didn’t know how this whole thing would go, but he felt strangely good about the initial setup of the conversation.

Rodrick began, “Rai. Thank you for taking care of Mary for the remainder of the school day. I managed to compile the documents necessary for Mary’s citizenship, and enrolment at the Academy.”

Rai was shocked, “She’s going to study at the Academy? But does she even want that?” He turned to Mary, who sat still. She stared at Rodrick.

Rodrick shook his head, “It was the easiest way to get Mary her own residence. My contact in the citizenship department put forth many options, but I decided that this would be the best one.” He sighed, then turned to Mary.

The girl lowered her gaze from his eye level, “Mary. This is Miss Lillia.” He gestured towards Lillia. Mary turned to her to see that she was already smiling at her. “She will supervise you at the Academy for the time being. If you don’t like it here, that’s perfectly fine. We can find an alternati-”

“I want to stay here.” Mary’s lips were quivering, and she lacked conviction in her voice. She was sweating. The bruises below her makeup began to surface as her sweat melted away the powders that Mary had unwittingly grown incredibly skilled at using.

Lillia was furious. Not at Mary’s words, nor her lack of conviction. But her bruises. Lillia herself knew what it was like to be in such a position, which was why she instantly volunteered upon hearing the headmaster’s request. This girl... what has she gone through? Lillia’s heart was breaking.

Rai was surprised. He hadn’t seen Mary act like this throughout the whole day. Though, he loved seeing people surpass their own boundaries and limitations. Rai’s heart felt warmer after hearing Mary make her own decision, despite the fury he felt at seeing part of her true state.

Rodrick was also surprised, “If I may, what is your reasoning behind that decision? I’m glad to hear it, but I’m personally curious.”

Mary scrunched her hands in her lap. She took a breath. “Rai and his friends. I like them.”

Rodrick stared at her, as did Lillia and Rai. Rodrick burst into laughter, while Lillia giggled whilst covering her mouth. Rai simply smiled warmly.

Mary panicked, tears began welling up in her eyes, “I’m... sorry... I didn’t mean-”

Lillia hugged her.

Rai was shocked, but Rodrick watched on in adoration.

Lillia held her, “It’s okay. You were funny without meaning to be. That’s normal. You’re perfectly fine.”

Rai stared at her. Is this... is this the same Miss Lillia that teaches us? It definitely doesn’t feel like it.

Mary nodded into Lillia’s shoulder, prompting Lillia to let go.

Rodrick smiled, “Very well! You’ll begin attending next week. For this week, Miss Lillia will help you settle in. Consider her to be your legal guardian for the foreseeable future.”

Mary nodded. She had a slight smile.

Rai stood up, “Alright, that all good?”

Rodrick nodded, “Thank you once again Rai. You’re free to leave.”

Rai nodded to him. He started leaving the room. “Oh, Mary!” He yelled back. Mary turned to him, “As much as it hurts... don’t forget how much you’ve been through. You survived.” He summoned her battered maid uniform from his seals. Rai handed it to Lillia, “We’re all friends now, so don’t be a stranger.” He smiled. Then he left.

Lillia didn’t like Rai very much; she’d always made that clear. But when it mattered most, Rai seemed to have his heart in the right place. Rodrick leaned back in his chair. “Phew. Alright, the work starts here. Are you ready to start your new life Mary?”

Mary nodded.

She wanted to live.

Rai walked a step faster than he usually did. He wanted to get back to his friends quickly so they could go to the café.

About a minute after leaving Rodrick’s office, Rai made it to the Academy entrance area. It really was beautiful. Lush green grass that was well maintained lined the fields between the pathways. Each of the mini-fields had some trees and a pond on either side. After adoring the scenery for a moment, Rai looked around to search for his friends.

Rai found them sitting together, resting under a tree’s canopy for shade. The twin suns were blaring today. He smiled.

Rai ran over to them, “Hey! You guys ready?”

Sin opened her eyes, “What took you so long?”

Rai grinned, “Mary’s got a new home. Miss Lillia practically adopted her.”

Sin stared at him, “Miss Lillia? Adopted the stray? Are you sure you didn’t hit your head on the ground when you got messed up by Stormflow?”

Rai giggled, “I’m serious!”

Sin didn’t believe him. “Yeah yeah. Let’s get going.” She turned to the others, who were quietly napping together under the tree. “Hey, you guys! Let’s go!”

Slowly, they woke up. Amy groggily covered her eyes from the sun that seeped through the cracks in the shade. “R... Rai? Oh, it’s time to go!”

Tullian and Lina also looked at Rai. They got ready to go. After a moment, all three of them were stood up and ready to leave.

Rai triumphantly declared, “Okay! Let’s get going then everyo-owWIE”

Sin yanked his ear, “Where do you think you’re going? You don’t even know the way. Just stand back and follow me.” She grinned.

The others laughed while Rai sulkily walked behind Sin.

They started making their way to the café.

Hi all! If you're enjoying the story and want to support me then feel free to do so on Patreon!

Patreon is 10 chapters ahead of what's releasing here so if you also want to read ahead then you can do so over there!

https://www.patreon.com/Vertrixx

6