Pick Yourself Up Off the Pavement
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The streets of the city were a bit brighter today. It must have finally stopped raining (and/or threatening rain, as it had been for the past few weeks) sometime last night. In fact, the sun was barely peeking through the cloudy murk above. Wow. That must be a record, it never gets this sunny in fall.

Adriana’s head still felt fuzzy, memories from the last day felt hard to retrieve. The adrenaline from that fight had long faded. Oftentimes, Adriana observed that the fury of combat is often remembered as a haze at best. It was as if the mind worked to slow the memories into some dark corner. She found herself wondering how many times of terror and blood could be shoved away before they couldn't anymore?

Not a worry for now, (those not-worries were adding up). What Adriana had to focus on was getting home and recuperating from all of this chaos. They were quite a distance from her apartment, so the first order of business was taking the SparkRail. Hopefully, with a bit of grace and a bit of luck, she could get some normalcy back in her life. She rubbed at her cheek as she started off, glancing over her shoulder to make sure Eislia was following. She was indeed, exactly three paces behind Adriana. She was not one to overstate things, but it was creepy. It really didn’t help that Eislia had that giant sword slung across her back and the tattered robe didn’t help.

“Um...you can...walk beside me, Eislia, it’s fine.” Adriana said, as she gestured for her to come alongside her. With but a stride, Eislia was right there. That was an odd sensation, Adriana was not used to someone being this much taller than her. She wasn’t exactly towering over the world, but Adriana wasn’t short either. Despite how she might seem that way, Mia actually wasn’t taller than Adriana. In fact, she was a few inches shorter than her; numbers sometimes felt like lies. Now however, she felt the very odd sensation of someone completely, and absolutely towering over her.

Adriana glanced up to gauge Eislia’s mood: She looked pensive, but overall calm. While she might have glanced around, her stride spoke of confidence. “So…” Adriana started. “I’m going to be presumptuous and guess that there is a great much to you wish to discuss?” Eislia laughed, ah that throaty laugh; Adriana realized she was rapidly becoming addicted to it.

“That is an understatement, but surely you have time, yes? You mentioned you have a day off? Could we perhaps make a day of it?”

“Wait, are you asking for a tour!?” Adriana snapped.

“In a sense.” Eislia said, tilting her head. “I assume we could both use food, and I prefer to know my way around.” She was either being impressively smooth, or this was some angle, some game. Adriana merely lacked the historical context to decipher which it was. She glanced up at Eislia, her mind trying to unravel intentions and motivations. Eventually, her stomach sent an express message to her know that ‘fuck it, hungry’. Seemed that she’d have to go along with it.

“Fine.” Said Adriana, offhandedly. “We’ll get something to go, and then get you back to my place with as little attention drawn as possible.” Adriana felt her smirk tug at her lips, her cheek still hurt a bit. “If that’s even possible with your size!” Eislia laughed. It was odd, she seemed like she was in a mood that could never be broken, not in a million years. Adriana watched as Eislia closed her eyes, seeming to savor the feel of the sun and air on her skin.

“It is so very...flawed here.” The massive woman looked around, as if she was seeing a city Adriana had never laid her gaze on. ”But, it is more beautiful than I imagined.” As she said that, Eislia’s crimson eyes glanced down at Adriana. Despite all of Adriana’s reservations over this whole affair, her heart skipped a beat.

“Yes, well...I would not call it beautiful here. To be fair: here is all I have known, and beauty has never been the word I would use for it.” She mused. “Then again, I’ve never seen true beauty have I? Only grime and waste, therefore, what metric can I even use?”

“An over-thinker? That makes sense.” Eislia spoke so casually that it was hard to tell if this was a jab or genuine observation.

“Funny, funny, I see the fall knocked loose a sense of humor hmm? Or did I simply rub off on you when we exchanged energy?” She didn’t get much more than a mirthful chuckle from Eislia, who had fallen silent in her observations.

They walked along a bit, the still-slick streets and sidewalks gleaming with ethereal light in the sun’s rays. Adriana was feeling better, certainly off-kilter, but better. She made a note to give herself a good workout before bed, it would help to center and organize her thoughts. While Adriana was not the strongest person, she liked to stay in shape. Long ago, she learned her body needed to be as fit as her mind in order to excel (or simply survive) in this life. So, she made a routine of calisthenics and cardio, resistance training for endurance and limberness. It did earn her a more...sculpted body; even if she didn’t, at present, have anyone to show off to; it still felt nice to have.

Adriana and Esilia rounded a corner, where Adriana was met with the most satisfying aroma of fresh food. Well, fresh for here. A pang shot through her stomach, reminding her she hadn’t eaten in a long long time. Memory barely dragged up the image of that pastry she had just last evening—not mentioning the fact that she had used so much of her magical reserves last night. Adriana had checked her hands and forearms in the morning, no burnout, but it was a close shave. Suffice it to say; it felt like it was ages ago since she’d taken in sustenance. Around the corner, there sat a small food cart, with a relatively short line of people shuffling past for their own fast breakers. Luckily, and with great mercy; it didn’t take long for Adriana and Eislia to be served.

“And what is this?” Eislia asked as she held onto her wrapped sandwich. “We call them breakfast holds. Stupid name. But it is breakfast.” Adriana held it up. “That you hold. So...I suppose I cannot dispute it.” Eislia looked down, picking a bit of crusty flat bread off and chewing it thoughtfully.

“It seems very...workmanlike.” She concluded. Adriana snorted out a laugh and led them across the street to the Sparkrail station: A large, steel framework structure. Stairs led up a story to the actual platform. The entire city was connected with the Sparkrails, they led up and down the entire expanse of it. The life blood of the city, without it, no one would get anywhere, really. The railing felt cold on Adriana’s hand, even through the gloves she always wore. The clank of soles against steel always made a morning song; the percussive track of sunrise. However, it was now past rush hour, so we were relatively alone. Up on the platform, there stood no other figures beside Adriana and Eislia. That suited her just fine—better to avoid odd looks this way.

Eislia certainly attracted attention. She seemed more akin to a grim, sword-wielding reaper than a citizen of Forthiron. She’d have to fix that, but it wasn’t like Adriana was any good at fitting in herself. Heat rose to her cheeks as she thought of Mia. Why did she chain her to this giant weirdo!? Was it another one of her absurd punishments? And what was with her animosity? Ever since she became Adriana’s handler, Mia was all knives and steel to her. She spat back, sure but it was only because Mia established the relationship as adversarial. It was as if Mia wanted to forget any of their past. As if she was in the wrong, when it was Adriana who had ruined their friendship.

“You are blushing. Are you thinking of Mia again?” Eislia’s question was so dead-accurate it threw Adriana’s mind out a window to be slammed onto the pavement of reality. It was so jarring she swore it knocked a tooth loose. Adriana fumed and looked away, stuffing her breakfast hold into her mouth. The relief of silence while she chewed was like heaven.

“That’s a complicated matter, look...just because you and I...shared energy does not mean you get access to any and all of my thoughts.”

“I’d think such sharing was enough of an invitation.” Eislia retorted with a playful note of mirth in her voice. Adriana glared up at her, but the smile Eislia wore somehow dismantled her anger. It sputtered out—cold water tossed on a flame. She was...so beautiful. Oddly safe feeling too; which was absolutely absurd as just last night they’d been fighting to the death. Still, it was hard to shake how bizarrely—safe—she felt around Eislia. The small part of Adriana’s brain that craved comfort, the little tiny part she’d spent the last year chaining and tossing into a dark pit; that part wanted to be in her arms.

“Yes well, it wasn’t. Alright? If you must know, she excites my rage on a regular basis. She frustrates and vexes me to the nth degree. Is that satisfactory as an answer?” Adriana didn’t mean for her voice to hold an edge, but it did. If there was offense given, it did not show on Eislia. She simply shrugged and stated flatly: “though I lack such experience, I think I understand.” Somehow her tacit understanding made it feel worse. Adrian looked away and scoffed.

The car of the Sparkrail clamored into view, soon it was resting at the station. Adriana motioned for Eislia to board with her. The car was perfectly ordinary in its size, it’s just that it seemed so small once Eislia stepped inside. There were only a few other passengers; mostly, people are not going this direction at this time of day— save for a few workers back from the mines. Adriana’s neighborhood was mostly of the lower classes, not that she minded. She did count herself lucky that her day job was a walk away from her apartment, meaning Adriana rarely had to take the Sparkrail.

Adriana sat down, with Eislia next to her. “Ah.” Eislia said, resuming their conversation without pause. “I was curious as to your relationship with her. I am not exactly educated on the culture of the cities. I’d rather not make some kind of flub, nor cause offense.” Adriana sighed and nodded at her, having to overcome the urge to pat her knee. She found herself wondering just how toned she was. One could only assume the answer is ‘massively.’

“It’s, it’s fine.” Adriana rubbed her face, and sleep threatened to take hold of her again. Founders, she was drained. “I understand the need to acquire as much information as possible. There’s none taken.” She shifted in her seat. “The relationship with Mia and I is...complex. She’s been with the family as long as I have, and we both come from similar circumstances. Last year however, she was assigned to me as a handler, and...well it’s been more strained. To be honest, I don’t understand it, totally. I only know she vexes me.” There was quite a bit of omission there, but Mia was anything but an easy topic for Adriana.

“Hmm...people who can wound us the deepest often have the access to do so.” Eislia offered helpfully. Adriana’s collar felt hot. She returned her attention to her food, taking a few bites to calm her aching stomach. “Ugh, maybe...at any rate, could we please drop the conversation then?”

“Of course.” Eislia said softly. Founders above, her voice was a dream.

Stop it, Adriana.

 

***

 

“And you work at an...office?” Eislia asked as she glanced around for anything she could sit in comfortably. Adriana noticed and motioned for her to sit on the bed. The two of them had just arrived at her apartment, having finished their portable meals and walked in silence from the station to home. Eislia was perfectly nice, hells, even easy to talk to. That scared Adriana.

“Yes. It’s my cover job, as it were…” She sighed, rubbing the back of her neck nervously. “I feel…” She glanced at Eislia, not sure why she felt so open about this. “I have a small, simple dream: That I’m just some simple clerk, working in a small office decoding documents for a living. And sometimes...I buy flowers and take them home to my wife. And...we both have a small, quiet, good life.” Her face felt so hot as she spoke and she had to eventually look away. “As I grow up, more and more I realize how stupid that is.”

“I think it’s wonderful, Adriana.” she wasn’t looking at Eislia, but she could hear the smile. For some damned reason it made her heart feel as if it were a furnace. “I do not exactly...remember why I came here. It is hard to say but aspects of my memory are spotty. But…” Adriana turned to face her, she tilted her head as she watched Eislia’s face. Her voice drifted off; intelligent eyes darting around as if reading from a page. “I do remember that I wanted...my own life, you understand? Something of my own and not theirs.” Her eyes darted upwards. Adriana nodded as she listened to her.

“You were made by them, yes? For...a purpose?” Adriana had picked a chair to sit across from her. She was happy to be home, among her books and disorganized mess. It was hers. No one else's. She draped her coat over the back of the chair and smoothed her plum-colored vest as she sat.

“I...yes. I was made to kill for them. To eliminate those who stood against the Founders. Magic is abundant up there. I had to have means of…opposing it.” Eislia shook her head. “Dangerous waters often hold no signs on the surface.” She said absently. It looked almost as if Eislia was reciting that. She wasn’t sure what the meaning of that was; one puzzle piece at a time. Adriana nodded in understanding. That added up from all of the data she gathered in the fight.

“I see...if this is painful we don’t need to talk about it. In fact, we can simply discuss what you wish to do in your new life. Hmm, that might be nice, yes?” Adriana, for some reason, felt the need to reassure her. Eislia smiled and let out a sigh. “Ah, to be honest...I’d love to simply relax for a while, perhaps acclimatize to all of this.” Adriana, again, nodded. She felt like those little dolls people made from spring work to constantly bob their heads. “Of course. Well, I’m exhausted and am already lacking sleep. However, I can’t have myself turn into a vampire. So…” Adriana’s voice drifted a bit. “How would you like to spend the day?”

“Hmph...perhaps we could use a run?” Running meant sweat, Adriana’s throat dried up as she struggled not to imagine Eislia in the shower.

“Ah, why don’t….we get you a change of clothes first, hmm? You’ll have to stay with me for a bit, but...” She trailed off as she noticed Eislia staring at her, her eyes transfixed on her neck. Adriana felt her hand go to it, gently touching the bruised skin.

“I...did that, didn’t I?” She asked, her voice so small that Adriana felt her heart ache. She shook her head.

“You said it yourself, you did not mean to do as such. That...you were in some kind of survival state.” Eislia had already strode over to Adriana, the distance closed in barely a pace. She knelt down in front of Adriana; her throat tightened, being so close to the other woman was exciting in so many ways. Eislia gently reached out, but hesitated, her expression begged permission. Adriana nodded numbly to give it.

Her hand, so large and just last night used to harm, gently laid against Adriana’s throat. She could feel the knuckles brush against her skin, sending electricity jolting down her spine. She sucked in a breath as Eislia’s fingertips set upon her throat, warmth spread out from them, an all consuming sensation of peace blanketed over her. Adriana herself could heal wounds. With her it was a painful process; as she used magic to wind back the time. It reknit cuts, and bound bone back together. As one could guess, the pain was the most extreme form of agony. She’d had to do it to herself a few times and it always felt as if she was digging through her flesh with a rusty fork. A rusty fork that was also on fire.

However, this felt wholly different. This was safe, calm, and pleasant. Was this the kind of magic in Ultimacy? Curious. Adriana might have to investigate this further. When she was done, Eislia drew her hand back, the look of concern still knit her brow together. This time, Adriana could not stop her instincts. She reached out to place her palm on Eislia’s cheek, a tender moment she could not resist. Adriana leaned forward and looked into those gorgeous sanguineous pools. “I...thank you, I have never felt anything like that.”

“Your life has been filled with pain and loneliness. I could sense it last night, taste it...Adriana. I am so sorry you have endured that.” Eislia placed her hand over Adriana's, causing her heart to thud against her chest. Her mouth felt dry, and she wanted only to stay like this forever. But life had a way of tearing fantasy asunder.

“No. It’s OK.” She slipped her hand away, and cradled it against her chest as if it were burned. Like that, the moment was gone. Adriana was standing on the edge, and found herself yet again unable to leap.

Eislia picked up on the tension, rose to return to her seat. “Ah...well, good.” She said, clearly a bit nervous looking. Anger burned Adriana’s skin, she was too fucked up to even allow someone to touch her. She reached up to feel the now-healed skin along her neck, it didn’t hurt anymore. Well, that was something at least. She cleared her throat and shifted in her seat.

“Why don’t we...get those clothes hmm? That might be a good way to see the neighborhood, then we can maybe go for a jog?” Adriana said as she sat up, her attempt to salvage the situation. Eislia smiled a bit, she tapped her chin.

“Hmm...clothing? Of my own?” The larger woman seemed like she’d been mulling over the idea, as if it was a new concept entirely unknown to her. A pang of coldness hit Ariana in the gut: She’d been in the same situation. No clothes; no changes of wardrobe, the idea of wearing something different from day to night time was a totally unknown factor back when she was younger. The family helped her with that. Perhaps Adriana could do the same for Eislia?

Adriana looked over at what Eislia was wearing: While it looked odd, her outfit wasn’t totally alien to the city. The cloak was a bit weird, but that’s nothing too bad. She made mental notes: if Eislia wanted to workout, she needed sweats. That’s one outfit. Maybe a few others. That would be acceptable. She found herself lost in the thoughts of Eislia’s measurements or what would look best with her...amazing body type. Founders—her biceps must be huge. Her gaze was locked for a moment, before she shook her head and stood.

“Well let’s aum...leave the cloak and the sword, is that fair!?” Adiana asked. For some reason, she felt it was very imperative to ask Eislia for permission at each Juncture. Something told her the giant warrior never got that option where she came from. Eislia rose from the bed, the creak of the springs signaling their relief, and walked over to strap her boots on.

“That is very reasonable. I am...excited, you know?” Eislia’s smile was actually adorable. So odd on such a hard woman, but it somehow fit her very well. Eislia stood, the sword in its scabbard and cloak left behind, the two of them headed back out.

 

***

 

Adriana’s mind was on the energy exchange last night, and not on the chill afternoon air they had been walking in. She’d performed that spell many times before: it was very useful to put down someone much larger than you, and was excellent for capturing a snitch for interrogation. When one uses enervation, there is simply a slight drain of a person’s internal energies. Simple, effective. But, with Eislia it was overwhelming; a massive surge of power she’d never felt before. That much of a pull created a sort of vacuum, and an exchange occurred. As far as Adriana knew, something like this has never happened before. Then again, last night had many ‘this has never happened before’s’. So, perhaps she should take them in stride.

That one comment though, it nagged at her. Eislia still wasn’t being entirely open about everything that happened. “I want to talk about that...place we were?”

“The mindscape?” Eislia asked, striding easily alongside Adriana. She looked a bit less imposing without the sword and cloak, still her physique made it hard for her not to look at least a bit intimidating. “Hmm…” She mulled over her thoughts a bit. “I know this might seem odd, but I do not fully remember what happened there. It is...complicated. The Eislia you met inside of me was a sort of fracture of who I am. She remembers more than I do, and is hidden to keep eyes off of me.” Admittedly, that went completely over Adriana’s head, but it seemed like some kind of attempt and hiding from any scrying spells. Interesting idea. Aspects of your memory locked away. So then it seemed like Adriana was going to get answers from the more enigmatic version of Eislia. Though she had to admit, she liked this one better.

Despite all this, Adriana sighed. “I was kind of hoping to get more answers, but...maybe you and I can find them together, hmm?” She said, her cheeks warming as she looked up at Eislia. The cold air seemed to cut even deeper at this stage, it was absolutely revitalizing—even if she still felt tired. Tired and hungry, that seemed to be Adriana’s eternal state lately. Maybe she’d take a vacation: Go far away to another level of the city, rent a hotel room and eat until she expired. Eislia exchanged her look.

“Hmm...maybe. I am sorry that this happened.”

“I’m not. I was able to get you pacified; everything worked out about as well as it could have, hmm?”

“And then we have time to decipher exactly what’s happened…” Eislia added. As if grand providence was at play, they arrived at the clothing store. Adriana, being how she was, held the door open for Eislia. With a bow of her head and a smile, the larger woman stepped inside. It was a small quaint shop and one that Adriana absolutely adored. ‘Scortis’ Fineries’ An upper class store with lower class prices. She loved it.

The walls were lined with cubby spaces and shelves, all filled with casual clothes of all manners. It was here that Adriana went first. She wanted to get some sweat clothes—for working out, or simply being at home. If Adriana ever spent a day at home being idle she had her pajamas, Eislia deserved the same luxury. As they had walked to the shop, Adriana had already sized Eislia up. Her work was cut out for her; it was going to be hard to find things in Eislia’s size. Easy things first. She drifted past the underwear section and nearly suffered a pulmonary as she thought about Eislia in them. No, maybe she herself can grab that. Adriana let out a huff at how utterly immature she was. Nearly thirty years on this world and she flushed like a rose at the mention of..unmentionables. It was so very evident: She really was fucked up. Only when presented with her actual shortcomings was it so painfully obvious.

The soft sounds, most likely muted by all of the cloth around, were breached with a cleared throat. Adriana turned to see the source. Eislia was standing near the corner of mirrors, holding her arms out. The proprietor of the shop, Scortis, was taking her measurements. Eislia wore that smile of hers as she extended an arm and lowered the other. “Adriana! You did not tell me you made a new friend!” The tailor chuckled. While they might have been busy with their task, that certainly did not stop Scortis from cracking wise. Adriana sighed and watched.

An older elf; the master tailor was one of the first people Adriana made friends with. When she first moved to this neighborhood, it was Scrotis’ tailoring and conversation that brought Adriana a great deal of comfort. She often came by the shop to look over new patterns, or simply chat about fashion’. It was awfully rude of her not to have said hello, but her mind was so bloated on other matters. “Ah, right, I apologize, work has been hectic: This is Eislia. She um...comes from far off, and I was going to show her around town.”

“Hmm good, good where do they build people like this though!?” They laughed and twirled the measuring tape into a perfectly wound ring in what seemed like a few motions. “Well, if she’s a friend of yours I can offer a discount, what are you looking for!?”

Adriana looked down in confusion at the pair of sweatpants and a few shirts she had in her arms. “Oh aum...w-we were just going to get these and maybe some underwear, socks? I was going to leave that part to Eislia.” She glanced over at her friend to see her admiring herself in the mirror, all smiles. If it were anyone else, it’d come across as conceited, but here it was...oddly cute.

“Mmm, foolish! But...I understand budgets. Look, let me make her something nice...I’m thinking silk pants and a tunic? Hmm, something fancy so she can show herself off a bit, everyone deserves that.” Before Adriana could launch a protest, Scortis was already shushing her. “I’ll put it on your tab, you can pay it off when you can, hmm? Good, settled!” Adriana sighed, then glanced back to Eislia as Scortis scuttled to the back of the shop.

“Sorry...about that, they tend to get excited around new customers.”

“Hmmm..it seems as if they do not have many…” She said, still admiring herself. Adriana had to bite down the words ‘you really are beautiful, you know that?’; instead, she simply watched her. “I am glad for it though, the kindness I mean.” She stretched her massive arms over her head, Adriana’s mouth was suddenly dry, she swallowed.

“Well, the clothes make the person, yes? And honestly, if our mission is to get you to blend in with the city, well...we can’t much have you running about like some ancient warrior.” Eislia chuckled at that, throaty and deep. No matter how many times she heard it; Eislia’s laugh remained a highly enticing. Adriana scoffed and turned away, then perked up at the sensation of movement. By the founders, Eislia was looking over the underwear.

“You did mention these, what do you recommend?” Adriana could have choked to death and been happy about it, when will she get any kind of relief? She watched as Eislia examined the boxer briefs, ‘yes! Those!’ she wanted to scream. Founders, she wanted to throw her arms around Eislia and kiss her all over. Suddenly, Adriana’s collar felt excessively hot, she had to let out a long breath for any sort of relief. Yet again, fear paralyzed her. ‘No, need to think of the past’ she chastised herself. ‘Focus, you stupid lesbian.’

Thankfully, Eislia got the impression that advice was not needed on all things, and carefully picked out a few pairs of underwear and socks, everything she needed for at least a week’s worth of clothes. Adriana vowed to teach her the laundry as soon as she could, she would not have any kind of misunderstandings with chores. Yet again, her mind was on other things and wandering. Such that she did not notice their tailor returning.

“Ah good, so…” Scortis clapped their hands together. “It will take about a day to start on this, due to other business; though, I have all the measurements and I can get it to you...in two days? Well then, I can ring you up for the rest!” With a sigh, Adriana pulled out her wallet, at least the tab was not rapidly bloating; only a slow bloat. The garments were bagged and paid for, leaving Adriana puzzled over her funds as Eislia snatched her haul with glee. Glancing over, Adriana could not help but smile at the slightly infantile way Eislia looked it all over. They stepped out into the street, now shimmering with the attempt at sun rays cascading over the miserable browns and grays of her home district.

The silence that ordinarily would blanket the morning, had already given way to the clatter of footsteps; all Adriana could hear though, was the buzzing of magical energies. They shifted and halted, too and fro. All around them: In the power lines, in the fartalker network, on certain individuals, flits of color and sound. When she was younger it was a bombardment, but now it was simply an idle display; more akin to evidence of the thrumming heartbeat of the city. Magic intertwined everything with the very fabric of reality. Slowly knitted back together after some great, ancient calamity tore it all away. She worked her finger against her thumb in thought. Introspection had become too much of a habit as of late.

 

***

 

To Adriana, her bed really was a wonderful thing. She fell into it gratefully each time her day was done. And every time it greeted her with open(bed-like) arms. It was not an expensive piece of furniture: not antique, nor special in any way. What made it so wonderful was that it was consistent; It was there for her, always. It also had the other unique property that it had never been shared with, although that was far from wondrous. (It was of her own design however, so she could not blame anyone but herself.)

It was in these unusual circumstances that Adriana had found herself this night: Laying in bed, (usual) with her silken pajamas on (also usual) laying beside the hulking form of another woman (this is the less-than-usual part). For the first few hours, panic hit her. Not the panic of outright fear—more the icy fingers of indecision. She had no idea how to sleep all of a sudden. It was as if the rules had been rewritten, the arena altered without her knowledge.

Her whole life, Adriana had slept alone. Her childhood was spent in shallow sleeps; in an alley or some vestibule, any place she could seek refuge. Over the years, once the Nummari family provided her with a stable place to live, she learned how to sleep in a bed. Adriana had to learn how to actually sleep deeply. It was a huge alteration to her life: the puzzle pieces she’d gathered scattered and implored rearrangement. She did though. Adriana was resilient: she adapted, she could do it again.

However, this was another seismic shift to her life pattern. She didn’t know how to calculate this—the heuristics of her mind unable to work this out. A large, warm body beside her. The large arm pulled over her and held her close. Safety, warmth, joy flooded her mind. While Adriana still clung to the vow she took a year ago, she allowed herself but a little shred of this. A small morsel of comfort; she closed her eyes to sleep.

How she got here still felt a bit like a dream. Eislia and her had returned to the apartment, set down the new clothes. Adriana had to confess that she felt a bit of delight at watching her new ward look over it all. Eislia eagerly asked if she could change into her sweats. Adriana, not thinking, suggested Eislia take a shower first. Bad move on the ‘resisting sexy moments’ thing she was attempting to maintain; but, Eislia would feel better if clean and in fresh clothes.

She had the hardest time distracting herself, hearing the water running, thinking of how it might look cascading over Eislia’s body. She worried her mind over the recent events: Their conversations, the mysteries that seemed to entwine the two of them. Even the way that Eislia’s voice sounded. It was all so very vexing.

Too bad the morning brought even more vexations.

0