Chapter 6: Five Years Of Insignificance (Part 6)
470 5 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Next Morning)

(East Dormitory Building, Zhang Wei's Dorm)

Zhang Wei was currently scavenging through his entire room to scramble together everything of value he had to his name.

From proper hard currency, copper coins, to something nigh worthless such as the rock-solid sock he kept laying around for a certain reason- absolutely everything was being gathered in one place.

Why was he doing this?

To bet on the upcoming competition, of course!

If he didn't take advantage of this unprecedented opportunity to make a bunch of cash, he may as well off himself using tofu*! 

After a while, he'd found and collected basically everything and counted up the approximate value of his items.

...Three-hundred and seventy-two coppers, should be the total if I manage to sell all of the assets.

Not bad, not bad!

His amount of wealth was, indeed, not bad.

Considering factors such as time spent in the servant quarters, cultivation, and type of tasks taken, Zhang Wei could be said to be doing quite well for himself for a servant who just advanced to the 4th stage of the Foundation Establishment realm.

On average, newbies and lower ranked servants were around the 1st and 2nd stage of Foundation Establishment and were usually quite poor due to higher extortion rates and fewer job opportunities- They only had maybe twenty to a hundred copper coins if considering their entire net worth. 

More experienced individuals who had been here for quite a few years usually had around the cultivation of around 3rd, 4th or 5th stage and their wealth varied on whether they had side hustles or low expenditure, but would have greater wealth than newbies by default as they had accumulation and the extortion they received was less- Usually, they had wealth of two hundred to five hundred, but the value could vary.

And the old dogs with higher cultivation had far more wealth than the previous two groups as, Qin Gou did not extort them in order to prevent any unexpected backlash, and they had deep accumulation due to the numeral years they've been here- In fact, the competition betting is run by one of the oldies.

Since Zhang Wei was in the upper median even though he only took safe tasks, it could be said he was relatively well off.

But even this amount didn't feel good enough, Zhang Wei wanted to make more.

So he began to ponder on what he could do throughout the next week to substantially raise his wealth whilst also making sure to not impede his martial arts training.

Should I take higher-risk tasks such as tending to pet spirit beasts or spirit plants?

No!

If one of the beasts just so happens to have an appetite for me, then I'll die without a grave!

And what if I mess up one time, and the outer sect disciples who own them kill me for it?!

Zhang Wei shivered as he thought of getting swallowed whole by a giant wolf, or being slashed in half by an angry disciple.

Although I don't fear death, I don't want to take such meaningless risks.

Remember, I am not the protagonist!

I'm just some background character who is susceptible to becoming fodder, therefore, if I put myself in such a dangerous situation wouldn't I be asking for it?

Although Zhang Wei is putting it nicely, in reality, he's just a coward.

Just the notion of having to fight in a competition that had a risk of death was enough to shake him up.

Honestly, if it weren't for him being in possession of the system's luck boosters and the fact that he wanted to continue growing stronger easily by following the protagonist, he would just stick to staying with his friends in this place!

But could you blame him?

He came from a world where he didn't have to worry very much about life-threatening situations, even since arriving here he had been actively avoiding conflict and danger, so his only form of battle experience came through the previous Zhang Wei's memory- Which wasn't very extensive.

And in fairness, he was just an eighteen-year-old that came over to this almost alien world by himself. In his previous world, he would have only recently been considered an adult and been delegated more responsibilities!

So becoming extremely vigilant to the point of cowardice in such a situation wasn't a particularly unexpected event.

Hmm, just what should I-

*Knock* *Knock* *Knock*

Just as he was in the midst of thinking of other ways to make money, a sudden rapid knock on the door of his dorm could be heard.

Strange...who would be knocking on my door at this time?

Whenever those four decide to come round, they always through the window. So rarely does anyone knock on the d-

Wait a minute... when has anyone EVER knocked on my door?!

At that moment, Zhang Wei realised how low his presence truly was- It was to the point that he felt those 'low-key' Xianxia protags should take notes from him!

However, Zhang Wei didn't have time to dwell on this as he had to answer the door for a rare visitor!  

He got up from the bed he was sitting on, brushed his long black hair with his hands to tidy himself up, and hastily walked over to the plain wooden door.

As he firmly grasped the wooden handle, his breathing quickened a bit due to a tinge of excitement arising inside him alongside various questions that were racing through his mind, such as,

What will my first visitor in a while be like?

Will they come inside, or will it just be a short conversation?

Why am I so jumpy over answering the damned door?!

As the door creaked open and the view of the hallway that was always outside alongside the shoulder of someone was reflected into his vision, his anticipation rose!

As the door was fully opened, Zhang Wei was perplexed as he saw four people with serious expressions standing at the door.

What are these four dumbasses doing, and why do they look like the world is about to end?

He was about to ask what they were here for before one of them stepped forward.

He had black hair and emerald green eyes, he was tall with broad shoulders and an extremely handsome face- By appearance alone, even the protagonist, Lin Fan, paled in comparison to him.

"My good brother Zhang, we have all come here to have a chat with you."

Hearing his words, Zhang Wei raised an eyebrow and looked him up and down as if he were trying to ascertain whether this was truly the same person he knew.

After a few moments of checking, Zhang Wei stepped aside to stop blocking the doorway, and sat down on his bed whilst saying confusedly,

"Uhhh, sure. We can talk.

I've recently rounded up all my belongings because I'm planning on selling everything, but you can all grab a chair from the pile to sit down on."

They all scuffled in, grabbed a seat, and then sat around the bed that was in the corner of the room.

Each of them had both their hands intertwined and were leaning forwards- As if they were businessmen or something.

The first to speak up was Tan Lin, he said in a calm and dead-serious tone,

"Why are you adamantly courting death?

Even though you've 4th stage, and become stronger than most people, you should know well that you'll still get crushed on that stage!

Those old monsters who hog the top ten all year round will decimate you!

...And that's not me being an asshole, but me being truthful."

The moment he uttered those words, Zhang Wei began to fight the most difficult battle of his life to date.

The fight to hold back his laughter.

There's no way he ambushes me with the most absurd line conceivable like that!

I know this is meant to be a serious conversation and all.

But come on, Tan Lin!

Was it really necessary to pull out the 'courting death' card?

In fact, this phrase would only be found comical by Zhang Wei, who was a transmigrator and avid reader of Xianxia novels, since it was a commonly used phrase in this world- Akin to saying 'hello' or 'good night' back in Zhang Wei's previous world.

From mortals to immortals, everyone said this when someone was doing something extremely stupid and/or dangerous!

Zhang Wei himself had heard it a few times in the past but still couldn't stop finding it hilarious.

So due to him trying to restrain his laughter and being unable to speak, everyone was just sitting in silence and staring at Zhang Wei, waiting for an answer.

Whilst Zhang Wei was pulling the best poker face he could muster.

"..."

After a couple of breaths of time, Zhang Wei took a deep breath and then began saying in a determined voice,

"Although I know where you're coming from, I want to give it a try!

I'm aware that we've talked about it a few times in the past and deemed it better to just stay as servants and muck around, but recently I've realised that maybe that isn't the best option!

Don't you guys also hope to, one day, get out of this miserable little compound, and move on to greater things in life?

Don't you guys have some ambitions as well?

I know I do!

I've got nothing and no one outside this sect, and therefore I don't want to leave it. Even though my aptitude is incredibly average and I wasn't able to become a disciple, I still don't want to give up my dreams!"

Hearing him preaching, the four of them were surprised but remained silent.

Zhang Wei continued,

"Two years!

That's the time I have left before the cutoff, and after that even if I get top ten I won't be allowed in as a disciple.

So don't you think that we should at least try our best to get in while we still can?"

After hearing his words, the others started to contemplate.

Seeing that his excuse worked, Zhang Wei thought,

In all honesty, that was a complete lie.

If it weren't for the circumstances, I'd be the first to advocate for peacefully living life here!

Anyways, with these words, it should have at least given them the drive to try and get into the outer sect. As it'll be a bit lonely without these guys' company!

If I provide a bit of support and all things go well, in two years or so they might also join me in the outer sect as well!

As he thought of this, he began to feel proud of himself for his incredible foresight!

After a while, Tan Lin stood up and said with a big smile on his face,

"And here I thought you were the most cowardly in our group but seems I've been fooled!

You're absolutely right, Zhang Wei!

If I, Tan Lin, don't have at least that much ambition, what difference is there between me and a dog?

Plus, wouldn't it be too much of a shame if I don't take my divinations onto a greater stage?

I've made up my mind, regardless of the fact that I'm only at the 3rd stage of the Foundation Establishment, I'll also join you and participate this time around!"

W-What?

After that, one by one, they all started to express their resolution to also participate!

"I agree as well!

Originally, I didn't mind staying here because the food was good and everyone wanted to stay. But after thinking about it, I realise that there is probably even tastier food waiting for me outside this place!

In the books I've previously read about, there have been mentions of various tasty things.

Diamond-shelled lobster king, Pheonix-feathered fiery chicken, nine-flavoured true ginseng... It's all waiting for me out there!

T-That's why I'll also join you guys in this competition!"

Tang Fen, you crazy b*stard! You are willing to risk your life for some better grub!?

"I also concur!

With my god-given handsomeness, wouldn't it be disrespectful to my ancestors, and the heavens, if I get stuck in a place like this?

I've heard from rumours that there are all sorts of immortal fairies and goddesses in the world, and I know that they are just waiting for someone as elegant as me to appear in their lives!

So it's only natural that I take part in this tournament alongside you all, in order to move on to the next chapter of my life!"

Wouldn't it have been simpler to say that you're just horny?!

"Hmph, if all you have the guts to go.

Then why wouldn't I, Zi Hua, have the balls to do so as well?

Back when my father was still alive and kickin, he'd tell the young me that we were actually descendants of an ancient immortal emperor.

Now, I'm not sure about the validity of those claims but, looking at me, It's most likely true!

And as they say, how could a mighty dragon be willing to act as a dog?

Therefore, I will also join the competition this year!"

...What went wrong?

I never meant to make these guys join me like this!

Feeling the urgent need to stop this mass suicide mission, Zhang Wei stood up and spoke up again,

"Hey, guys... I've got no nice way to put this but... you'll be crushed into smithereens!

This isn't some joke, you know!

There are some real powerhouses participating, and they won't stop at just defeating you!

You might even die!"

Why have the roles suddenly changed, damnit?!

Wasn't this supposed to be them trying to persuade me to not risk my life?

Hearing Zhang Wei's words, everyone looked at him as if he was an idiot.

Their gazes all seemed to say, 

"And you think you'll do better than us?"

They then outright ignored him, and started to excitedly talk about training and sparring with each other.

Zhang Wei could do nothing other than to sit back down and listen with a blank expression that masked the immense amount of nervousness he was feeling.

Oh god, what have I done?!

I've actually just indirectly sent my friends to their own deaths!

What do I do now?!

...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's notes:

*Basically saying he'd be dumb if he missed the opportunity.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed the chapter.

Any feedback is appreciated.

26