Chapter 11: Five Years of Insignificance (Part 11)
340 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside a luxurious room, that had wonderful paintings and fanciful lights on the walls, a group of five men were sitting around a beautiful mahogany table.

Each gave off an oppressive aura of their own, except one.

Steward Qin!

As he stiffly sat on the chair at the head of the table, a drop of sweat trickled down his brow.

Damn, Damn, Damn!

What are those fools in the kitchen doing?

I'd given them a bunch of expensive spiritual ingredients that cost me my soul, so to ensure that this chat with these old foxes goes as planned!

But after waiting forty minutes...nothing!

Why can't anything go right nowadays?!

That damned Lin Fan, ever since he's gotten into the picture, my life has been going in a downward spiral!

Currently, Steward Qin was in a desperate situation.

With him recently losing his young master's favour, and with all the public outrage on his tyrannical ways, everything had gotten a bit chaotic.

'No matter' was what Steward Qin first thought before the competition started.

He'd planned to personally destroy Lin Fan in the competition, and put a stop to his nonsense.

'Naive' was his first thought after seeing Lin Fan thoroughly obliterate the opponent he'd arranged to scope out his abilities.

He was really too naive.

Steward Qin recalled being so shocked that he'd almost dislocated his jaw from opening it so wide!

Maybe if he were a bit younger, he'd be able to do it with the assistance of all his wealth.

But he stood no chance with his frail, bony body, which looked as though it could crumple from some large gust of wind!

In his nervous flurry, he frantically used all the connections he had to gather four of the powerhouses in the servant quarters and try to persuade them to complete what he could not.

"Qin Gou, you called the four of us out to treat us to a meal, yet I've not yet seen a single plate of food yet!

"Is this some sort of joke?"

The voice that spoke was authoritative and raspy, compelling one not to interrupt or question the voice.

Snapping out of his anxious daze, Steward Qin hastily replied in a respectful and almost bootlicking tone,

"Of course not, Brother Liu!

"I'd entrusted those fools in the kitchen to make the food for us, yet who could've thought they'd mess up to this degree!

"I truly apologise for this lack of judgement on my end, I'll make sure to punish those imbeciles for delaying your precious time!"

Hearing Steward Qin's frantic apology, this 'Brother Liu' seemed to be satisfied, as he laughed and said,

"Hahaha! Am I, Liu Gu, such a petty person to punish someone over a few minutes?

"Us cultivators inherently live longer lives than mortals, so a mere few minutes isn't much of a worry, and seeing that you have apologised.

"I'll let this matter go.

"Anyways, since no food is coming just hurry up and say what you want!

"I know your not the type to call us out just for a meal!"

This 'Liu Gu' was an old man that had quite a reputation within the servant quarters, due to his ruthlessness during tournaments and tendency towards violence.

The number of people he had personally killed or crippled by 'accident' was well into three figures.

Normally, an orthodox sect like Azure Profound Sect would never allow such a murderer to be part of the sect!

However, Liu Gu had done well to disguise the deaths as accidents and also had some connections within the sect, therefore no consequences became him.

Plus, the number of people who had actually been able to leave the servant quarters was pathetically low, so who on the outside would even find out about his crimes? 

Hearing Liu Gu's words, Steward Qin put on a nervous smile as he knew this fellow was far from peaceful and said anxiously,

"Indeed, indeed, fellow Daoist is wise.

"I, Qin Gou, do have a favour to ask of you all.

"Recently, as I'm sure you all know, a rat called Lin Fan has been causing a stir in the servant quarters causing me some trouble.

"His strength is abnormally high for his age, and he is a rebellious brat who puts no one in his eyes!

"He even insulted young master Wang without second thought not long after he arrived!

"It's simply unacceptable!"

Thinking about Lin Fan and all the trouble he's caused him, he angrily slammed the desk and said,

"From what I've observed, that boy was powerless until recently, therefore he must've gained some fortuitous encounter like a technique or artifact that's allowed him to receive such a significant boost in power!

"You could easily get your hands on that, and who knows, your path to external elder may be paved!

"On top of that, you'd also gain the young master's favour!

"And since I'm asking you for this favour, I'm even willing to pay half a spirit stone as a reward to show my sincerity!

After Steward Qin finished talking of all the lucrative benefits, a period of silence ensued as the four old men mulled over what they wanted to do.

However, seeing the expression on their faces after understanding all the benefits, it was pretty damn obvious that they were eager to do it!

After all, it was already a preconceived notion to them that everyone, except them, in the servant quarters was ants!

Phew, thank god! Looks like I've been able to persuade them.

Although half a spirit stone is quite the price, it's worth it to get rid of that pesky b*stard.

Plus, knowing how impatient these old guys are, I won't have to wait long before Lin Fan is six feet under.

Tch, it's a pity though.

If possible, I'd really have wanted to get my hands on that secret strength of Lin Fan's instead of handing it over to these old foxes.

However, not everything goes to plan!

Soon enough, everyone seemed to have been ready to accept the task until...

"Hey, Qin Gou?

"Aren't you being a bit insincere here?

"You only have a hunch that this brat has some treasure, and there is no conclusive evidence.

"Plus, even if there is something, it may only be useful for a weak runt like him who has just begun his cultivation journey!"

Liu Gu mouth curved into a wide smile, and said demandingly,

"Two spirit stones."

Hearing his words, Steward Qin winced.

He glanced at Liu Gu's smile which looked more like a devil's smirk, and the said with a wry smile on his face.

"Sure, two spirit stones it is."

After agreeing, Steward Qin felt his heart bleed.

...Indeed, nothing ever goes to plan.

...

With the arrival of the next round of the competition, more acts of violence ensued.

Some fights lasted prolonged periods of time, where a ruthless test of perseverance and stamina took place.

Other fights were simple and clean, due to one party completely overwhelming the other.

However, none of the previous matches could begin to compare to the obscurity of this one.

*Whoosh!*

*Thud!*

A wrinkly old man, who was famously known as one of the ten strongest individuals within the servant quarters, was sent flying off a mere punch from a boy a fraction of his age!  

"Do you see people?!

"When it comes down to it, this person that strikes fear in you all and forces everyone to stay within this cage is nothing more than a vain old man!

"Compared to me, all these powerhouses are just old dogs with one foot in the grave!

"So trust me!

"Believe in me!

"And through unity, we will bring down evil once and for all!"

The winner, Lin Fan, like last time, declared to everyone with absolute assurance that he would be the hero that will help them all reach freedom.

Snapping out their astonishment at seeing Lin Fan easily beat one of the strongest in the place, everyone in the audience began to loudly chant Lin Fan's name with reverence.

"Lin Fan!"

"Lin Fan!" 

"Lin Fan!"

It was a shocking scene!

Lin Fan had truly won the people's hearts!

Within the sea of people, Zhang Wei was viewing this scene with raised eyebrows as if he was still caught up in the shock of what was displayed in the match.

But that wasn't why he was shocked.

Zhang Wei had long known that Lin Fan would absolutely win, no matter what, so the matches couldn't really bring about much excitement.

No, what truly stunned Zhang Wei was a notification and a consequent realisation.

[Through having previously interacted with another feature of the system, the Host has now unlocked said feature permanently!]

[Successfully unlocked system authority: {Providence Analysis}]

[The Host will also receive: {Basic Summary of Plot Providence and Providence Analysis}]

The instant the notification came through, a huge surge of information rushed to Zhang Wei's brain causing him to have a piercing headache.

The pain faded as quickly as it came, and after regaining clarity Zhang Wei instantly looked into the information that he gained.

{Plot Providence}

[This term refers to the ways the protagonist's, or another individual's, luck is shaped. And depending on this, the effects that luck brings to the person can vary. For example, a protagonist with the Plot Providence, 'Death Is Only An Inch Away, However, The Treasure Isn't So Far Away', will allow the individual to gain a mighty treasure or an incredible fortuitous encounter whenever they are close to death.]

[Plot Providence may also be split into four categories]

(Permanent Providence)

These are types/shapes of luck that are constant throughout the protagonist's life and do not change or leave the protagonist throughout their journey. 

(Variable Providence)

These are types/shapes of luck which can change throughout the protagonist's journey and morph into other forms giving the protagonist an entirely new plot providence with a brand new effect.

(Situational Providence)

These are types/shapes of luck that only arise in certain 'scenarios' for the protagonist, and then quickly disappear thereafter.

(Unexpected/Exotic Providence)

These are types/shapes of luck that can appear randomly without cause for anyone, not just within a protagonist, and can stay with the person for as long as a lifetime, or as short as a single moment.

...

{Providence Analysis}

[This authority allows the Host to analyse any living and non-living being's luck, and identify any Plot Providences they may have alongside a brief description of said Plot Providence's effects.]

[This authority can be used at any time, for an unlimited number of times.]

...

*Thump* *Thump*

After a few moments of taking everything in, Zhang Wei's heart began to beat intensely and his breathing pattern became chaotic.

As the seconds passed, Zhang Wei found it harder and harder to restrain the ecstatic grin which tried to creep up on his face.

T-T...This is simply incredible!

Through the system, I'm actually able to look into the luck of different beings and identify mystical things such as plot providence?!

Not only would this be really helpful in finding out more about the protagonist, and also allow me to possibly understand what type of troubles they will face.

But most importantly...

Isn't this totally the set-up for my epic tales as a heavenly master who has multiple over-whelming powerful disciples?!

Zhang Wei didn't think of himself as a pig, but right now he felt like squealing with joy!

I could totally just travel the around world after getting some power, find some ultra-lucky non-protagonists with OP providences, and then become their master before they inevitably become powerhouses!

After that, all that awaits me is a carefree and happy life with no worries at all.

Cause what could possibly worry me with an army of mega-powerful disciples behind my back?

As Zhang Wei was drifting off to dreamland, a sudden shake of his shoulder snapped him back to reality.

"Zhang Wei!

"Hurry up and get up, dumbass!"

As Zhang Wei regained his bearings he turned around with a frown to see which bastard interrupted his daydream.

Only to see Tan Lin look at him with his eyebrows furrowed inquisitively, but still, he pointed his finger down at the stage and said with urgency,

"I don't know what you were daydreaming about, but now isn't the time.

"I've already finished my fight, and the other three are still in battle.

"You've got some clueless rookie waiting for an ass beating over on stage 4, so be a good senior and teach him a lesson!"

After listening to him, without a second thought, Zhang Wei jumped up from the bench and hurriedly shuffled his way through the crowded spectator's area over to stage 4.

Fuck, I'm so brain-dead!

I was too immersed in my excitement over the system feature that I didn't even get to use it on Lin Fan, and I almost missed my fight as well.

I really need to get that stoicism shit down my throat or something, cause I've been getting way too emotional about stuff!

As he reached the stage, he hopped up and two people alongside the large stone stage entered his vision.

One of the figures was the judge, who had his arms crossed with an annoyed expression on his face- He probably didn't get paid any overtime to deal with this sort of shit.

Upon seeing Zhang Wei, the judge didn't hesitate to blow his whistle to indicate the start of the fight and then left the stage, giving Zhang Wei one last glare before he went.

After readjusting his focus on my opponent, Zhang Wei was shocked to see that the kid seemed... lifeless.

Although Zhang Wei called the opponent a kid as he was a newbie, he actually looked to be the same age as Zhang Wei.

What further surprised him was this guy had a striking resemblance to the one and only Lin Fan!

Noticing these strange things Zhang Wei was a bit curious about the guy, but regardless, his cautious personality made sure he didn't let his guard down at all and he remained firmly in the defensive stance of my Green Turtle Palm Art.

As the minutes passed with daunting silence hanging in the air, Zhang Wei came to understand that this weird guy had no intention of moving.

Fuck, why am I so unlucky all of a sudden!

I hate these opponents the most since it means I can't use my art to its fullest potential!

And as a warrior and martial artist, how else should I use my arts if not to their fullest potential?!

Although Zhang Wei was right in thinking that the Green Turtle Palm Arts were most effective when used reactively, what he refused to admit was that he could launch an attack himself anyways!

It was clear that the opponent had no will to fight and just showed up to avoid the punishment that would be issued for not showing up for a fight.

But even if the opponent was faking his expression, it would still be the right move to test the waters by making a flexible attack that allowed for an easy retreat.

Unfortunately, this was something Zhang Wei would never do in a million years.

Why?

Cause he was a scaredy cat, and a massive one a that!

The reason why he had stayed in his dorm and cultivated constantly was that he was scared of potential danger outside, that wasn't there!

The reason why he only took up extremely basic missions made for even mortals, was because they were the safest!

This was the fatal weakness that had been brought about by being transmigrated into this magical world from a lawful modern world- He was simply just too wary of everything! 

Of course, Zhang Wei himself always made excuses for this weakness and did not acknowledge the fact that he was overly cautious.

Even now, in front of a harmless opponent, he was just standing there stalling for his opponent's move because making a move himself was an 'inefficient and non-optimal' use of his martial arts.

Hmph, I know this guy is just waiting for me to approach him so he can launch a sneak attack!

Although he's a newbie, he's a crafty one!

Since it seems like we are in a stalemate right now, I guess I'll test my new system ability!

Although there probably isn't muc-

W-w...what the... is this for real?!?!!!!!

As he glanced at the boy's providence using {Providence Analysis}, Zhang Wei's mind went into chaos as he unintentionally blurted out loud...

"Jackpot."

...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note:

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed this chapter.

If you have any suggestions or feedback to give, it would be greatly appreciated.

16