Prologue
205 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Taishi was playing his clarinet. He's the principal clarinetist for the Kosei Wind Orchestra. The wind orchestra was on the tour, spreading its musicality where ever it goes. His playing combined with his clarinet section facilitates the hymns of the trumpets and the other brass instruments in this part of the music. The conductor guides the wind orchestra along with his baton.

The music?

Armenian Dances Part 1. A true masterpiece for concert bands. It contains many moving parts, and it's a piece that has difficulty for other concert bands throughout the world. Grade 6, is the hardest amongst all of the other sheet music for bands.

What makes the wind orchestra with Taishi different from others is that it plays the pieces with such style and flawlessness, that no other concert band could ever possibly reach.

Hundreds of people attend its concerts, and they leave with a pleasant fullness of hearing what the composers of the music have envisioned. A world-renowned Japanese wind orchestra.

This is what Taishi has dreamt of ever since picking up the clarinet. To spread harmonies to every human throughout the world. Joining the Kosei Wind Orchestra was his final goal to fulfill his ultimate wish since his childhood.

He looked up at the conductor, preparing for a fast-moving motion into the next section.

He moves his fingers with such motion that even pianists wished to attain. The nickel keys of the clarinet click, his fingers making a hollow wooden sound as it covers the tone holes. The clarinets played their part, then comes the oboes. The fast vibrating notes of the brass and the woodwinds are what make this part enthralling, a perfect section to end the piece.

In the finale, the trombones and the brass played to their deepest lows, any human could feel their skin crawl at hearing that. Taishi could feel his chair and the air vibrating from such low notes of the brass. The alternating notes of the french horns, and Taishi looks up to the conductor, his arm raising, saying that it's the end of the piece.

Then, his arms signaled for the orchestra to stand. Taishi and the wind orchestra stood up. Glittering eyes and the smiles from the orchestra members were of sweat and tears from their rehearsals. The whole crowd within the concert hall applauded. What once in the air were the harmonies of the instruments, are now the claps of the audience.

Taishi smiled, knowing that he has played to his heart's desire for the people. Now, they know what a wind orchestra sounds like. Ever since technology has progressed, some listened to recordings of concert bands with their headphones. But, it pales in comparison to the real ambiance of real instruments in front of them. The vibrations in the air, the varied dynamics of instruments, and no setback from the sound quality of their devices.

After the performance, Taishi packed up his clarinet into his handy case for his instrument.

"Taishi! Heyy! Good job."

Taishi looked to see Okumura, his long-time colleague in the wind orchestra. A rather lean man, with short black hair. His middle-aged appearance speaks of his experience with his clarinet.

"Haha, you too."

Okumura holds Taishi by his right arm. "We're looking forward to the dinner tonight at this exotic restaurant! Authentic American burgers! You coming?"

"Yep. I will always be there," Taishi smiles, knowing that this meetup barely happens, especially during their tour overseas.

"You never let us down." Okumura laughs with amusement and waves off Taishi before leaving the room.

Taishi was relatively a young member of the wind orchestra, in fact, too young. He joined at the age of 23, in a field where music professionals stay in their positions in the orchestras until they die or retire, which takes decades. More so with the Kosei Wind Orchestra being more recognized than others. Even with all of these burdens to join the orchestra, his exceptional devotion to such music made him stand out.

With such devotion to music, he sacrifices his social life. His relationships were slowly losing grip beginning with his high school friends, then his childhood friends, and finally, his family. The only people he can comfortably talk to as a friend are his wind orchestra members. The Kosei Wind Orchestra is his family.

Taishi walked out of the concert hall and saw some of the audience still hanging around. He beamed at that. There are children, teenagers, working adults, and seniors. Varied nationalities. Each one of them, maybe except for the children, took their time out of their daily routine to watch the orchestra.

The pedestrian lights now signal in white, and Taishi went on the crosswalk. He heard a loud series of horns and cries from the people nearby. He looked to his left to see a large white truck moving toward him. The hi-beams of the truck made it impossible for him to see the driver.

Then, Taishi cannot think of anything. He cannot escape from it. His mind is fading away as the truck gets closer and closer.

"...ank you, Okumura."

7