Arc#3 Chapter 5: To The Sword Sanctum
2k 22 81
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yeesh. This got a bit longer than I intended, but here it is!

Oh, and sorry for any mistakes! I always try to release it in pristine condition, but... well, you know. Human error and all that.

I hope you enjoy!

= Lire ♪ =

'Yummy.'

As he gorged himself on food fit for a king — he was royalty, after all — Reivan listened in on what his family was talking about. He didn't feel like he'd recovered enough brain power to join in on any conversations, so eavesdropping was all he could do with his current willpower at the moment.

"Father," Roland said after he finished gulping down a mouthful of steamed fish. "Summer's about to end and the fall harvest is coming up soon, so it's about time to pressure the empire's borders again."

"I'm aware." Rodin nodded, not looking away from the documents in his left hand.

The first prince looked annoyed at his father's lack of reaction for a moment, but quickly put on a gratifying smile soon after. "Well, I was thinking that I could partici—"

"Absolutely not." The king finally looked up from what he was doing. "You know how busy fall is going to be. There are all sorts of festivals all over Aizen, and the local ministers will have to get our approvals for all sorts of things. You need to remain here and help me handle those wily old bastards, especially since more work just arrived last night..."

 


 

"Rein, Rein. Eat this." Vianna held out her fork, where a very saucy piece of steak was skewered.

"Ahhh." Reivan obediently opened his mouth and let his mother feed him. As he chewed, the meat's tasty juices filled his mouth, making him blush in happiness.

'What's this? It's insanely good...'

"You like it? It's all about the sauce. You make it by mixing the sauces up like this..." Vianna then proceeded to demonstrate by taking the various bottles for condiments and dressings, then adding some in a separate cup. It seemed as if she'd done this plenty of times before since the seasonings were being added in equal amounts, despite her lack of measuring tools.

'I better take note of this...'

Reivan focused on his mother's movements while using his [Supreme Insight] to know the correct proportions.

 


 

"But Father, isn't the battle with Argonia a far more important matter than a few festivals?" Roland argued, his fish going cold from neglect. "Besides, you can just solve all this by hiring more ministers! The national treasury can handle that much."

"There are better uses for the money..." Rodin frowned as he elegantly put a piece of pork into his mouth.

"What uses? You just chuck it into the vault! You told me that money was supposed to be spent, and not to let it remain stagnant. Yet here you are, hoarding money instead of using it to ease our burdens."

The king waved him off before he finished chewing. "I did tell you that, but I also told you that we should still prepare for the unexpected. We can never have too much money on hand."

Roland clicked his tongue and angrily stabbed a small tomato with his fork, roughly shoving it into his mouth.

"Besides, what do you mean the battle with Argonia is important?" Rodin shook his head in exasperation. "I know you're aware that we only do this every harvest season so the empire conscripts the men in their villages, right? It's just to gradually starve them out and force rebellions. Most of the time, no actual battle occurs."

"If that's true, then why is House Mercer heading to battle this time?" The crown prince asked through gritted teeth as he slammed his fist on the table, filling the air with the sound of clattering plates and goblets.

"So that's what this is truly about, isn't it?" The king smirked teasingly. "It's because you'll be separated from your wife so soon after your marriage?"

"What...!?" Roland gaped, flabbergasted. He gave his wife a quick glance only to see that she was silently looking down and eating her food with a grin on her face. With renewed annoyance and a face that burned crimson, Roland turned back to his father. "That's not what I meant, Father."

"Sure. You're very convincing." Rodin rolled his eyes. He then returned to poring over his documents while eating a bite of food from time to time.

 


 

"That's not what I meant, Father."

 

[Lie Detection] has activated!

 

'Hm?'

Reivan looked over at his father and brother, sauce dripping from his mouth. He had stopped listening to them in favor of memorizing the sauce recipe his mother was teaching. That was why the sudden notification caught him off-guard.

"Rein, you're a mess." Vianna reached over and wiped her son's mouth.

"Mhm. My bad."

"Sure. You're very convincing." His father rolled his eyes and looked back at the documents in his hand.

 

[Lie Detection] has activated!

 

'Damn. I can't believe that sarcasm activates this ability...'

Reivan desperately wished it wouldn't do that anymore. He then returned his attention to mixing up the sauce by himself. After all, he didn't want to bother his mother every time he wanted some.

 


 

"Fine... alright, I'll admit it." Roland sighed in apparent surrender and leaned back on his chair. He sent his giggling wife a look of resentment and snarled. "Aren't you enjoying this too much?"

Stella covered her mouth, feigning shock. "What could you possibly mean?"

Rolling his eyes, Roland turned back to his father. "Can't you do something about them? Why are they sending their people over to the border? More importantly, why is a newlywed being sent over?"

"Roland, these are their family's matters." Rodin calmly tried to placate his eldest child. "If I barged into a random family's home in the capital, then told them what they should eat for dinner tonight, I'm sure they'd acquiesce... but let me ask you, would that be the right use of my authority, Roland? As the future king, you should know what situations to use your power on."

"I know that..." The crown prince looked away and muttered, before turning back to his father with imploring eyes. "But even so... can't you do something? If we're being honest here, the moment we got married, Stella became part of our household. She should no longer be under House Mercer's command like before."

"That's not how this works..." Rodin shook his head, then glanced at his daughter-in-law. "Besides, have you asked your wife what her opinions on this matter are? Would she even want to cut ties with the Mercers to that extent?"

Roland then faced his wife with a questioning gaze.

Under the prompting stares of the nation's current ruler and its future king, Stella cleared her throat before answering. "While I will prioritize the royal family's matters over my old house's, I don't actually want to entirely isolate myself from them."

"I don't want you to entirely isolate yourself from them. I'm just asking for a little consideration considering we just got married."

"I know, Roland. Let me finish." Stella smiled wryly as she placated her husband. "Although it is the case that I wish to stay here and savor my time as a newlywed, I also wish to go with my family to the borders."

"Stella..." Roland gasped, seeming to find his wife's words unexpected. "Why...?"

"Well, I think going to the border this time will be a great opportunity for me... I might be able to face some decently skilled opponents there."

"What are you blabbering about...? What opportunity? A battle is unlikely, isn't it?"

"That may not be the case this time," Rodin interjected. "According to our spies, a prince is personally heading for the border. With an army in tow, if I may add."

Roland rounded on his father with a probing glare. "And why did you not inform me of this interesting bit of information?"

"Because this was relatively recent news, and you were too busy getting married." The king dryly replied. "Stella must've also just been informed."

"Yes. I only just received it last night, after Roland was..." Stella smirked as she side-eyed her husband. "...Incapacitated."

"...I see." Rodin sent his eldest son a look of understanding and sympathy before saying.

"If that is the case," Roland frowned as he put down the goblet he'd just drank from. "Then isn't there even more of a reason for me to go to the borders too? They're sending a prince as well, for crying out loud. We should match them with the same."

The king scoffed at this. "Argonia has dozens of princes and princesses, while we have two. How could we possibly compare one of ours to some bastard born from the emperor and a harlot? Your time is more valuable, so don't waste it on a minor battle — or rather an overblown stare-down that might become a minor battle."

"This damned old man..." Roland cursed as he gnashed his teeth, but perhaps knowing how little it would affect his father, he eased up and heaved a weary sigh. "Fine. I give up."

"As you should." Rodin nodded.

"But." The crown prince raised a finger in the air. "As a compromise, I have a condition."

The king's brows furrowed as he frowned. But after some thought, he motioned for his son to go ahead. "I don't understand why I need to compromise at all, but sure. Let's hear it."

"Gertrude, my guardian knight, must accompany Stella to the front lines."

At this suggestion, Rodin rubbed his chin in thought. "I don't have anything against that idea... but you know the rules. Before you become an Ascendant, in the absence of your guardian knight, you cannot leave the palace."

"I know. I'm fine with it."

"Then all that's left is to ask for permission from House Mercer's Matriarch. After all, it is the Mercers that Stella will be accompanying. Go talk it out with her, and see what result it brings."

"Well, I was thinking that you could say a few words to her in my stead..." Roland smiled as he looked at his father. "She holds your opinion in very high regard, after all. It is all but certain she'll agree to anything you say."

After the crown prince's words, the balcony was left in a state of silence as all utensils stopped moving.

All except for a certain grey-haired prince.

'Hm?'

Reivan looked up from his food. Then he looked around and saw his father with a shocked expression as he gaped at a smirking Roland, Stella gracefully wiping her mouth with her eyes closed, and Vianna feigning nonchalance by staring down at her food.

However, Reivan did not miss how his mother sent his father a glare so sharp, it could cut through his neck.

Soon, the silence in the balcony was broken by Rodin's spluttering cry as he stood up and pointed an accusing finger at his eldest son.

"You speak nonsense, boy!" He yelled, sending spittle flying all over the place. "Why would you assume Sarina does anything of the sort!?"

"Why are you so flustered, Father? I only meant that she treats you better than others because you're the king." Roland's smirk grew wider. "Or is it becau—"

"Nobody will think you're mute even if you don't speak!" Rodin cut him off with a roar. The king then slumped back into his chair and massaged his temples while sending frequent, nervous glances to his wife.

'Oh? What's this, what's this...?'

Reivan's lips curled up into a grin. He was now fully invested in what was happening.

'Does Father have a history with this Sarina woman?'

Even if he was really curious though, this didn't seem like the appropriate time to ask. Despite his mother's doting nature toward him, even she might erupt in anger if he did so in this atmosphere.

'I'll ask brother later.'

"Fine, Roland. I know what you want." Rodin looked up and sent his son a bitter look. "I'll send a retinue of knights to go with the Mercers this time. Are you happy now?"

"With a few Ascendants included. And again, Gertrude must be with them." Roland leaned back with a satisfied nod as he refilled his goblet with wine. "He's the knight I trust most. Since I'd trust him with my life, he is the one I deem best fit to protect my wife."

"Yes, yes." The king waved him off, looking all the more annoyed. He then picked up the stack of papers he'd accidentally dropped, placed it on the table, and tapped it with his finger. "In exchange, I'll have you deal with the Terracatta Clan's affairs. There is a meeting right after lunch that you mus—"

"I can't go." The crown prince interjected.

"What is it this time?" Rodin snarled as his eyes flashed with anger.

"Well, I just got married, so I was thinking of going to Mother's grave to... tell her about it. And introduce my wife as well." Roland downed his goblet in one go before continuing. "I know I went there with Stella before we got married... but it's been a long time since, and I was thinking that the place might need a bit of cleaning up by now..."

"Hrm..." Rodin immediately deflated, his rage diminishing. He heaved a long, long sigh before he nodded. "Alright. Make sure to clean it well."

The first prince nodded with a smile. "Of course, I will."

"Yes, yes..." The king then looked toward his queen. "Vianna, I'll have to ask you to come with me to meet with our new friends."

"Hm?" Vianna raised an eyebrow as she chewed, steak sauce dripping from her mouth. She swallowed, then said, "I don't mind, but where's Viktor?"

"I've decided to assign him to something else."

"I see..." The warbeast woman stared thoughtfully into the air for a bit. She then nodded slowly. "Okay. I suppose I can delay the gift preparations for a little bit..."

"Well then, since we've finished eating..." Roland wiped his mouth with a napkin and prepared to stand up. "Stella and I better get going..."

Before he managed to get up though, Reivan suddenly cried out. "Can I come along too? I wanna see where big brother's mother is buried..."

In his ten years as a prince, he had never once seen where Roland's mother was buried. Reivan didn't even know her name!

It wasn't like talking about the late queen was taboo, it was just that nobody really talked about her and Reivan had never felt it appropriate to ask. However, now his family was actively talking about her, and even discussing her grave. It was the perfect opportunity.

'This is the woman who gave birth to my brother... I'd like to pay my respects...'

Reivan looked toward his mother, the person who he thought would have any chance of being opposed to it. "Can I go, Mother?"

"Hm?" Vianna tilted her head in confusion, her white hair swaying along with her. "Why wouldn't it be okay? You're on your way to meet with that old man so it's the perfect time to go. Isn't that right, dear?"

Rodin nodded. "I planned to call Sir Rolf here, but if you want to visit Lara's grave, then it'll be better for you to go to him instead."

The king then took a box out from his spatial ring and tossed it to Reivan.

"Whoops." Reivan intended to try to catch it at first, but then he instead stopped the box with [Formless Will] and let it land on his hands safely. He opened it up and saw a transparent crystal attached to some kind of strap.

It looked not unlike a watch, except the clock was half of an orb.

Rodin cleared his throat with a smile before explaining, "People have all sorts of slang for it these days, but its official name is the 'Broadcasting Crystal'. As you may have seen, a lot of the people in the palace have one, and we mainly use it to communicate telepathically or send telepathic messages. I never gave you one because I don't like how these things are affecting kids these days... they're always on their crystals, never going out to actually meet people. I swear to god we never should have made them public..."

'That sounds a lot like a phone. And those problems sound really freaking familiar...'

"You're overreacting, dear." Vianna rolled her eyes. "It shouldn't be that bad."

'He's not overreacting. It's a problem in my old world too, Mother.'

Reivan stopped retorting to his parents in his mind and picked up the crystal. He put it on his left wrist and admired the way it shone under the light.

Suddenly, he felt a stinging pain in his head, but it only lasted for a second.

 

The [Modified Dream Crystal] has successfully transplanted information into your mind!

 

While clutching his head with a grimace, Reivan tried to process what had just happened. It was fairly obvious that it was the crystal's fault though.

"Ugh..."

"The short bout of pain you just experienced is because of a modification that our scholars have made." Rodin proudly puffed up his chest as he continued. "The first person to hold the crystal after it's activated will have the instructions for its use transmitted directly into their mind. Don't worry, the discomfort will be gone after a minute or two."

"Okay..." Reivan nodded, feeling that the pain was indeed starting to dissipate. Once his head had cleared, he realized that he knew everything he needed to know to operate his new gadget. "This is amazing."

"It's one of the many benefits we've obtained from that place." Roland chimed in. He made his way behind Reivan and offered his own crystal. "Let's exchange contact, Rein. That way, you can talk to your big bro any time you want."

"There's no need, all of our crystals are already linked to his. I've also linked Valter's to his crystal as well," Rodin said. "Although, I have yet to link it with the Mercer twins. From what I understand, they were also forbidden from using crystals up until recently. You'll just have to link with them yourself, when you meet with them again, Rein."

"Yes, Father." Reivan smiled, glad that he would be able to communicate with his friends any time he wished from now on.

Suddenly, his big brother chuckled, his shoulders trembling. "See, Father? I told you that Lady Sarina holds you in high regard. She even copied your parenting policies."

"ROLAND!"

"Rein, let's go!" Roland picked Reivan up by the waist and scampered off, his laughter drowning out his father's angry bellows.

 


 

Just outside of the room they'd just dined in, Reivan was placed back down on the floor by his brother.

"That was fun." Roland smiled in satisfaction as he wiped a bead of sweat from his forehead. "Messing with him's fun. Especially after the massive pile of work he's been giving me these past few months."

"You went too far." Stella — who had apparently followed after them — shook her head with a sigh. "You know that Lady Vianna is wary of the Matriarch."

"Bah. I know nothing will come of it." The crown prince waved her off. "Father loves Mother too much. He won't take another wife with her around. Not that he can handle another wife, that is..."

Roland then turned toward Reivan.

"Rein, go and call Sir Valter over. His abilities make traveling easier."

"Alright..." Reivan nodded and then began using the crystal to send a message. It was easy enough, he just had to think of what he wanted to say, and his words were delivered to the person he wanted the message to reach.

Almost immediately afterward, he obtained a response saying that the knight was now on his way.

"I'm done."

"Great." Roland reached forward and ruffled his little brother's smooth grey hair. "Gertrude should be here b— nevermind. Here he is."

As soon as he said that, a knight flew in from the window. It was obviously Roland's stalwart guardian, Gertrude.

"This humble knight greets His Highness, Prince Reivan." The knight saluted in the Aizenian way, before turning toward his lord and master. "I've arrived, My Prince."

"You could've taken your time... but whatever." Roland smirked as he said, "Have you made your preparations?"

"Yes. I am ready and waiting."

"Good, good." The crown prince bobbed his head in approval. "I managed to get father to agree to send you with Stella. And although he didn't permit me to come along, he did agree to send retinue and some Ascendants along with you. That's more than I thought I'd get out of him."

"As expected of the crown prince." Gertrude smiled as he dipped his head toward Roland. "To have extracted such concessions from the kingdom's guiding light."

"Psh. It was nothing. Go ahead and gather up your preferred comrades. Submit a list of those that agreed to me by this afternoon, at around five o'clock."

'What the hell...?'

Reivan just blankly stared at the two, having heard everything they had said.

Having noticed him, Roland faced his little brother with a mischievous grin. "Surprised? I bet your lie-detecting ability didn't activate, huh?"

'It did. Once.'

The youngest prince chose to stay quiet though.

"That's because I didn't lie!" Roland chuckled. "It seems like I can get away with lying to you if I word it well enough..."

"What do you mean...?"

"Well, remember when I asked Father why he never informed me?"

'No. Because I was too busy making sauce for my steak...'

Again, Reivan wisely chose to stay quiet.

"I never lied about Father never informing me." Roland snickered. "Although Father never informed me of anything, that doesn't mean I couldn't get that information from someone else. Although it's true that Stella incapacitated me, that doesn't mean she can't tell me about the thing with the imperial prince after waking me up!"

"I just wish she didn't incapacitate me again after telling me..." Roland muttered under his breath, but Reivan's superior hearing still managed to catch it.

Stella shook her head in exasperation. "I can't believe you made me lie to the king... my ancestors must be turning in their graves."

"You didn't lie, Stella. You just withheld information. There's a difference."

"But still..."

"It's fine, it's fine..." Roland reached over and placed his hand on her head. "There's no harm done. And my mind gets to be set at ease while you get to go on your little trip. Everybody comes out happy."

"I suppose that's true..."

After successfully placating his wife, the young man who would rule Aizen in the future smiled as he sent his brother a wink.

"You're not the only one who's good at trickery, Rein. Your big bro's learning how to do it too."

"That's not something to be proud of, you know." Stella pinched her husband's side, making him yelp in pain.

As the couple fooled around, Reivan ruminated on [Essence of Falsehood]'s unexpected weakness — which his brother oh so kindly brought to light.

'I've been too dependent on those notifications...'

Ever since he could remember, he'd been good at telling when others were being dishonest. And for as long as he could remember, he'd never needed those notifications to do it.

"Your Highness."

Reivan was broken out of his thoughts by yet another man entering through the windows. Naturally, it was his guardian knight, Valter.

'Nobody uses doors these days...'

"Greetings, Sir Valter." Roland smiled at the new arrival. "There's been a bit of a change of plans. Rein here wants to come with us to my mother's grave."

"I see..." Valter nodded. "Does that mean we won't be meeting with Sir Rolf in the palace?"

"Yes. After visiting the grave, you two can just go up and meet with Sir Rolf in his home. Oh, and I permit you to use your spatial arts."

"Understood."

Valter then waved his hand as black sludge rapidly oozed out from beneath his feet, forming a pool under them all.

"What the f—!" Reivan barely stopped himself from cursing as his feet rapidly sunk into nothingness. It was not unlike how he saw people get sucked into quicksand.

"Your Highness, please calm down," said his guardian knight. "We're just leaving through a faster method. It'll allow us to reach our destination in an instant."

The young prince barely managed to send his knight a questioning look before his entire head was swallowed by the murky substance. Since he was considerably shorter than everyone he was with, he would naturally get gobbled up first.

"Our destination...?"

"That's right." Roland grinned as he waved his hand, looking down at the sinking Reivan. "We're headed to the Sword Sanctum. That's where Mother's grave is."

Announcement
Chapter Word Count: 4108
Last Edited: Dec 06,2022

Well, how about that... even though the chapter is called "To The Sword Sanctum", there was pretty much no mention of it until near the end of the chapter. lmao

It's just that the previous chapter was kinda info-dumpy. So I wanted to ease things up... also, I wanted to show off some character interactions!

This story has Reivan as its main character, but he's not the only person here! Things are happening to other people too!

I wrote this chapter surprisingly fast despite how long it is... it's probably because it's mainly character interaction. Should just do a Slice-of-Life story after Glimpse of Eternity? lol

Maybe I'd be better at writing an easy-going SOL story than doing a kinda-serious story like this one.

Well, that's a question for the future. I have to finish GoE first.

Anyway, see you in the next chapter~

81