Chapter 63: Spar 2/2
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Allan had few choices now. It was either to endure this or slowly get used to these sensations.
 
“I can't see him. He is strong and I can't see the motions of his attacks. The wind is everywhere. How could I dodge something like that if it hit me head-on?” He thought about his harsh reality. He knew he had to do something even though it was only a spar. What other opinions he could do for himself?
 
At the end of these ideas, he figured that Sarey's idea was not bad at all, so he could only attack and figure out where it will go afterward.
 
He launched with his wooden blade at the previous location where Zigmund spoke.
 
Blade suddenly stopped as he swung it diagonally before him.
 
“What is this? Do you call this an attack?” the voice of Zigmund spoke above Allan's head. He caught it with his hand.
 
“This is a practice. Do you think I would swing a real sword at another human being while sparring?” Allan argued.
 
“Try again. I will use the wooden sword this time.” He let go of Allan's sword, who quickly struck in front of him with a freed sword.
 
Zigmund was casually dodging every attack and blocking his sword with his hand or his wooden sword.
 
“Impressive. He is hitting in the right places even though he can't see me. Is it that feeling of combat what that blind person told me about? Maybe he has some talent.” Zigmund thought to himself.
 
They continued circling the courtyard. Allan kept the pace for a long time. These days of exercises helped him with his stamina, even though he did not realize it himself.
 
Zigmund kept the silent and casual approach, yet Allan was still striking him with his sword. Getting tired of the same pattern, Zigmund chose to take advantage of his speed. He circled Allah in a quick back step. There was a clash as Allan was knocked backward.
 
“Ugh.” He fell to his back around 10 meters before Sarey.
 
She watched without much change in her expression. It went as she expected, and that was not a bad thing. Although it was clear that Allan had some sense of combat before losing his eyes. But it was the same as any beginner, no, something even worse than one. He could not truly be called a beginner.
 
There was hardly any chance he could try. It was a regular practice with a sword, but the inability to do anything was frustrating to him.
 
“You are a son of a blacksmithing master. Try to understand what this situation means. Have clues, while battling your opponents. Trying to overcome some difficulties. That is very important in a path of combat.”
 
“Uhhh. I understand it quite well, mister Zigmund.” Allan got up to his feet the same way as before. The Force of Zigmund's throw was hardly something that could hurt him.
 
“You did? Then tell me what are the most important aspects of the human body when it comes to survival and combat.”
 
“This has nothing to do with this,” Allan told back to him. He found this question rather familiar.
 
“You are trying to get stronger, even though you are a blind boy. But, I found it quite courageous. If you can, why not become stronger? That is a simple desire to have. For now, try to figure out the way to come forward. Your opponents won't be soft at all against any foe. I bet you would find a war charge to be a thing of nightmares.”
 
“Why are you lecturing me?”
 
“Sarey asked for some instructor. What is an instructor for you? Teacher? Master? Someone in-between?”
 
“Yes?” He answered questionably.
 
“I can fight energy users. They are, after all, still humans. Only some of them, but it still counts.”
 
“You did? When? Where?” Allan asked with some hesitation.
 
“War.”
 
“War? You were in a war? No wonder you are this strong. I find it hard to compare this to my father's training.”
 
“Your father? You should worry about yourself. Come! If you have some courage, try to fight me. I don't mind some teachings to a blind brat.” Zigmund shouted as he sidestepped away from Allan. He was getting close to him with his wooden sword.
 
Bang!
 
He hit him on the shoulder. Allan staggered a little but managed to stabilize himself, as his stance was tight, and his feet sturdy enough against this light attack.
 
“Body? How come it all comes down to my inability? I don't like this at all, but I had to take his words with a grain of truth.” Allan thought to himself.
 
Suddenly getting an idea, he launched himself in random directions in a rather lower posture. He swept the ground with his leg in multiple directions where he heard his steps.
 
It hit Zigmund's legs and slowed him down.
 
“W-what? That was quite fast and unexpected.” Zigmund finds it surprising that his bare attempt was very effective.
 
As if with eyes behind his back, Allan strikes him into his torso. It pushed Zigmund a little bit.
 
“Hmm? That was not weak at all.” He thought.
 
Allan, still pressing his blade on his body, twisted his right leg, and forced his sword upward in a circling, twisting manner. This was a way to overpower his opponent unexpectedly, when he doesn't need his eyes.
 
Zigmund was struck with a couple of hits while being hit again with Allan's leg. Stepping backward a few meters, this was a safe place where Allan was helpless.
 
“Holy war! If that was a real blade, it would wound me for sure. It seems I underestimated him a little.”
 
Allan did not stop here, as Zigmund expected. He stroke him again similarly, after finding his location again.
 
“This boy! He could be ruthless if he wants to. Good. Good.” Zigmund smirked as he pointed his wooden sword onwards.
 
Beng!
 
He graciously deflected Allan's blade and kicked him with his knee to his stomach, since he held the higher ground.
 
Sarey was frowning as she saw this. “He doesn't like defeat.“
 
Allan's body was pushed to the ground with Zigmund's knee, and his face twisted and coughed in pain.
 
“You lack experience, but I like your style and perseverance. I did not really want to help you too much since my time is worth a lot to me. It seems I will help you, after all.”
 
“Uhhh... You used an actual sword earlier?” Allan mumbled.
 
“Yes.”
 
“I see. I guess what I can say is palm, knee, feet, and spine with torso in-between.”
 
“What do you mean?” Zigmund asked in confusion.
 
“Important pieces of the human body in combat. You asked about it earlier.” Allan recalled his question before the spar began.
 
“Oh, di I? You think this is your answer?”
 
“I think so.”
 
“You are wrong and right,” Zigmund said frankly.
 
“There is no way to summarize everything there is under the heaven. In the combat of life and death, all wrongs or rights are prohibited. Especially in warlike conditions. Death, rape, and plundering innocent lives are common.”
 
“I k-know that... What does it have to do with any of this?”
 
“You want to train or improve yourself in this state? Your answers are correct for you and wrong for others. If you want to focus yourself on moves, which flow through your feet, palm, torso, knees, or elbows, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with that.”
 
“Your words sound convincing as always, father.” Sarey appeared around Zigmund.
 
“And you think I am wrong? I speak the honest truth.” He said in his defense.
 
“I agree that there is no wrong or right. I thought Allan could improve much more with this method.”
 
“I agree with this training,” Allan said as he heard them after the pain started to move away.
 
“If mister Zigmund is willing, and not over the top with my beatings,I can improve a lot.”
 
“Do you wanna do it, father?” Sarey asked with a frown on her face. This decision would probably cause a lot of stress for her, as well as for Allan.
 
“Yes. I can teach him or instruct him in combat every day. I am a free man, after all. Hahahahah.” Zigmund laughed as he found a good excuse to tell. He saw some potential in Allan. Now was the time to see if he could go on long enough.
 
“Thank you, father,” Sarey said back to him.
 
“Mister Zigmund, is it fine with you to do this all? I know the restaurant business is not that easy.” Allan asked in worry.
 
“Whatever. I don’t necessarily care too much about my business. Your business seems more up to my standards, in your case at least.” Zigmund said in satisfaction.
 
“Alright. I must thank you for this. I will get accustomed to the smithy first if you excuse me.” Allan slightly bowed in his direction and moved into the direction of the stable.
 
Sarey and Zigmund were left stunned by his composure.
 
“Um… He is either talented or a freak of nature.” Zigmund said as Allan's figure disappeared into the stable.
 
“You will figure he is not that bad at this. I spared with him quite a couple of times a day to get a better picture about him.” Saray said.
 
“I think I am due to some explaining,” Zigmund said with a frown to his daughter.
 
“I don’t care about any secrets, father. Everyone has some.” She said with a demeanor, not of her age but it was more of a fit of a teenager than anything else.
 
“Alright, I won’t force anything then. I will be helping him with you and me as well. It has been a long time since my blood boiled with excitement.”
 
Zigmund smiled and stretched his lower body. He felt exactly the same as some untold years ago. He did not miss the times of that war, but the excitement of the past still hunted him to this day.
 
Since he met his wife, many differences and compromises had to be done.
 
Sarey was not so different. She knew her father was not as an ordinary man as she assumed him to be. But nowhere near the energy users of the stories of extraordinary. Since 36's arrival, she felt keener on Zigmund’s past.
 
He did not tell her everything he experienced in the past. Only some glimpses and stories that he felt proud of. Such stories were perfect to tell to a young child with the curious nature she showed since being very little. Although, Sarey did not know if they were completely true or not.
 
“Allan is not that weak as you thought, am I right?” she asked her father.
 
“Yes. I am more shocked at his ability to adapt. Try to cover your eyes and try similar things as him. That is a hard thing to accomplish.”
 
“I guess.”
 
“Anyway, I will be helping him from now on as well, but with only some practice. Like today, for example.”
 
“Whatever you say. I will check on Allan for the time being. His smithy is still a little messy for a blind person, but he is much more grateful for the smithy than those spars, so be gentle, alright?”
 
Being done with everything and saying what she wanted to her father, Sarey moved into the now little more organized building on the opposite side of the door to the cottage.
 
Allan was sitting in front of the furnace and anvil. Rough-looking cloth in his hand kept his memories of the not-so-distant past calm.
 
“What are you doing?” Sarey’s voice spread behind his back.
 
“I can feel a little crack with my fingers on it. 36 said something similar.”
 
“He did? What is it? Let me see.” She walked toward him and saw a small hammer emblem between his fingers on a long piece of tattered cloth. There were not that pronounced cracks right across its surface. It almost looked like a part of the design, but both of them could feel the cracks with their fingers.
 
“Yes, it is cracked. It looks intentional.” Sarey assumed from his words.
 
“I want to try to break it apart completely.“ Allan said, with no concern that this gift was from his father.
0