Chapter 02
564 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Looking at the confidence within the maids as they stood proudly, Linda couldn't help but have a bitter taste of what the reputation of the twins could possibly have within the household is like.

But looking at her hand and seeing that her brother was there as well, she felt at ease thinking she wouldn't be fighting alone like those protagonists in novels her friends often discuss.

However, she frowned at the possibility of how trouble will always be surrounding the main characters. She shook her head and went back to her previous thoughts once again putting them in the back of her mind.

Edwin looks toward the women with a frightening look. At the sight of the two young women flinching at his glare, they went back to their work like usual.

"We will be taking our leave now, young master, young lady."

The older woman bows down in a curtsy and backs away with the other two doing the same, getting out from the room and hand against the doorknob.

She stopped and turned her head towards the twins.

"If you are in need of anything, Mira will be right out of the door this time."

Pointing at the woman who had hushed her friend's mouth, Mira bowed in a curtsy and slowly backed away from the two as she stood by the door outside of the room.

The older and younger maids walked out the door. They shut the door after themselves before walking into the peaceful and polished hall.

Waiting until the two maids' other than Mira's footsteps fade away, he looks towards his sister who is in deep thought like usual. He chuckled at the sight which made Linda flinch and look at him with a questionable gaze.

Edwin sighed and stared at her with tiredness clear on his face.

"Seeing you in deep thought, you seemed to figure out our surroundings and situation?"

Linda looked at him pathetically but then looked downward with shaken eyes and said.

"Yes, I have. And if I'm hearing this correctly, it seems like our names are Edwin and Linda and we are turning 4 in a few weeks."

She suddenly looked at her small body still in shock that she was a kid again but in a completely different body.

Edwin nodded at her words as she continued.

"Do you remember an ongoing novel we read a few weeks before that a friend recommended to me and forced you to read with me, Noble Love of the Hero?"

"Uhmm..."

He cringed at the title but it was true he had read this fantasy romance novel that was popular with the girls and had no choice but to share the suffering in reading that novel with his sister. That was the first and last romance novel series they had read despite not finishing it.

"Yeah, I couldn't understand how their heroic deeds were recorded, especially with the male lead being overconfident in himself. Characters giving the credits to the couple and blessing them as if it's normal for them to have a special tale about themselves..."

It's not that he hated it, it's just that the interaction between the male lead and the female lead seems stereotypical to him.

Linda agreed with his thoughts even though she is a girl herself, she doesn't enjoy those kinds of romance genres.

"Mhmm, that is the one. It seems we became the villains in the novel, Edwin Bernstein and Linda Bernstein, The Golden Twins."

"The Golden Twins..."

Edwin muttered in deep thought, sat down on the fluffy carpet, and motioned Linda with his hand to sit down as well.

"Wait, how are you sure we are those Bernstein's twins, and this is from a fantasy-romance novel?"

As she sat next to her brother and grabbed a big white teddy plush that was near them, hugged it tightly, and continued.

"According to the words of the duchess and that woman who I assume to be 'Nadia,' they mentioned 'Bernstein' and some empire and we know how some don't dare to mention—"

"But didn't you and I say that name already? What's even the point in having your own 'brother' as your killer and not to mention the duchess within the novel wasn't even brought up?"

He poked at the teddy's fluffy tummy, muttering, and looked up to meet his sister's silent gaze.

"Please don't interrupt me again."

Once she confirmed his nod of approval, she took a breath and spoke.

"I did question this and thought the author might not have put much thought into the building nor explaining the relationship of the three siblings'."

She placed her chin on the teddy's head and continued.

"I heard them from the other girls in my class who spoiled me that there was indeed a flashback with 'Maverick' reminiscing a scene, after getting rid of the twins, of his mother who seemed to be once in a healthy condition, collapsing due to unknown reason after the twin's first debut to the society world..."

Edwin looked at Linda who was continuing what she knew of Maverick in the novel. Just hearing this made him have the urge to spite him.

'What an unusual and disgusting emotion...'

He rubbed his chest and then heard loud cheers outside, He gave the window a glance and then decided to ignore whatever that was as his instincts were telling him there would be nothing good if he went and checked it out. As he continued to play with the teddy's arm, he felt an impact between his head and felt the swelling pain from the hit.

"Ow..."

"Are you being oblivious to my words or are you listening closely to my words?"

Linda looks at him with dull eyes which doesn't match her current childish appearance. Through her newfound golden eyes brighten even more under the setting sun.

He grumbled as he rubbed his aching head, apologized, and promised he would continue to listen to her. Like a good student, he sat cross-legged and clasped his hands together, and looked at her diligently.

With his light blonde hair and silver shades at the top of his head being blown and gently swayed, Linda uncomfortably rubbed her swollen eyes.

Linda's hair was also blown by the wind which bothered her because of her long unkempt hair. She rolled her eyes at him and got up to close the windows so the winds wouldn't disturb them as they talked.

As she reached the window, she felt a gaze in her direction and stared at the source. There she saw a young child with their silver hair blending gently into the foggy weather and their deep amethyst-colored eyes staring right at her coldly.

She suddenly felt chills running through her spine and shut the window mullions immediately. She felt if she had stared at them for too long she would've collapsed. She took a deep breath and hurriedly turned to walk back to her brother's side feeling always safe to be near.

She held the teddy and continued with her explanation pushing her thoughts on what she saw out there to the back of her mind.

Edwin noticed her abnormal behavior when she was distracted, coming to his side.

He deeply stared at the window believing the instincts he had since his previous life were still accurate and not rusty, proof it hadn't was his sister's reaction after looking outside.

He gripped the innocent teddy's palm strongly, ignoring his thoughts as he continued to listen to his sister's words.

 

AKS

11