Chapter 08
567 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Time went on and they finally arrived in the capital. The twins looked out the window in curiosity, widening their eyes in surprise.

""Woah!""

The cool wind blew through the windows on both sides of the carriage that had been opened. The small curtains fluttered from the force that was blown against them. Unlike their territory, the capital is warmer, breathing the refreshing air into their lungs.

They questioned why they didn't play out in one of the towns of their territory but they didn't plan to ask anytime soon. After all this place was much more energetic than the first few towns and villages they passed by.

Edwin and Linda stuck their heads out the window and stared at the bustling streets that were filled with laughter and busy adults here and there. But they were immediately pulled back into the carriage by Rebekah.

'Here we go again...'

The twins guiltily looked down at what would unfold next. As they had expected, Rebekah nagged them and warned them what would happen to them later on if the situation was dangerous.

Their already bowed heads bowed even deeper but they nevertheless nodded and obeyed Rebekah's words as they are only considered toddlers.

'But aren't we more mature than our age!'

They both nodded at the same time at their similar thoughts and stared at each other, smiling.

"Momma!"

"Yes?"

She halted and stared at them in doubt. She frowned at the strange and ominous presence making her flinch.

"We would like to go out and explore!"

Linda told her in excitement and Edwin nodded along. She seriously thought for a moment and agreed after looking at their expressions full of excitement. She told them to keep their brother by their side and to take the knights with them to keep them out of danger.

She had something to check before reporting back to the emperor. She needs to check what was the ominous presence that was triggering her instinct and what and why is it within the capital. She stroked their soft hair and wore them a necklace of each.

"See these colorful crystals? Break one to call for me and if I'm not there yet and you're in danger, break three of them. Understood?"

They looked at their necklace which held six crystals each. The colorful crystals were shining brightly in different colors which made them absorbed into it unknowingly.

There was a sudden sensation on our shoulders and they looked up to see Maverick looking down at them. He asked, confused at their shocked reactions.

"Did you listen?"

"Huh? Uh, yes. We thank you for waking us up, Brother."

Linda smiled awkwardly at him which Edwin couldn't help but follow but his smile was more genuine.

"Don't worry! We listen to every word Momma spoke even though we aren't in a state of mind~"

He felt a little more comfortable speaking to this brother of his and buffed his chest in confidence.

Maverick sighed. He let go of his hands that rested on top of their shoulder and calmly told them,

"Then as you heard of Mother, if we ever get separated then break one of the crystals, and if in danger then break three and all if it is a dangerous situation."

Linda looked at him in surprise at his slightly worried expression but Edwin nodded and was about to reply...

"Be careful of breaking all because that will trigger and teleport you into a safe zone and inform Mother or her trusted allies of your exact situation."

He warned them and advised them to give space after breaking them all.

Edwin looked at him pathetically at the need to warn them again and Linda looked at the necklace still in shock at how great they were.

'Are they magic crystals or something similar?'

That was what Linda questioned to herself in doubt. Linda raised her head and stared at Maverick.

"Where did Momma go?"

"She has business to do in the capital, so both of you were left in my care until she comes back."

"Let's just go to the market stalls then!"

He waved at the two for attention and pointed to where the citizens were crowded.

"I bet they have delicious snacks that are different from home."

Linda looked up and nodded in anticipation. Maverick looked at them and gave them two jackets that were lighter than the one they were currently wearing.

"Change."

The two nodded as they accepted his thoughtfulness. They took off the heavy coats and wore the lighter ones.

'It feels light like the windbreaker I previously used to wear back in our world!'

Edwin looked at the jacket in surprise. Maverick scanned them once and reached out his hands.

"Mother said you need to stay close to me."

The two looked at his hands and then looked back at him. They looked at him in a daze. Edwin snapped out from his daze and reached his hand to his.

Maverick turns his head to the side at Edwin's acceptance and mumbles in embarrassment.

"Hold my hands so you won't be separated once we are in the crowd."

Edwin smiled slyly and held his hand. He gestured to Linda to do the same before making him change his mind.

After all, they need to improve their relationship and bet on the girl of unknown origin who is in a good relationship with him in the future.

Understanding her twin's intention, she hesitated a bit but then grabbed his other hand and held it tightly.

The two looked up at him one with his playful smile spreading across his face and the other with her calm small smile towards him.

'Are these the ones who I had blamed because of father's disappearance?'

He looked at the innocence in their eyes as they stared up at him in a daze but snapped out of it and walked toward the crowd.

The young knight followed them quietly as the other knights separated themselves and hid from the people's eyes, walking a bit further from their young masters and lady.

———

"Edwin, Edwin! Look at me!"

Linda laughed happily as she twirled around and a light string with colorful lights hanging around her waist, jingled. Edwin looked at the lights in wonder and whined to Linda.

"Linda, give me some as well~"

Linda looked at him for a moment then smiled mischievously with a hint of evil.

"Hm~ Only if you promise to me that you will do two requests of mine with no questions!"

Edwin looked at her in disbelief but replied with a pout.

"Fine! But only two and that's it! So what is it?"

"I haven't thought of them yet!"

She giggled at her easy win as she pointed her finger at him.

"You just need to wait until I request for you either now or later."

Edwin looked at her doubtfully but ignored the chills he had a second ago and said,

"Fine, I told you! Now give it!"

Linda laughed at how Edwin was acting like a child. she doesn't mind though because his idiotic mind made him accept anything if something brought him interest. Thinking about it, she got worried about her brother if he were to be left alone.

Maverick looked at their exchange who somehow made a deal for a griddle with the addition of magic stones of different elements on it. He sighed and stopped his thoughts as he stared at them, one teasing the other.

As he blinked, he noticed Edwin's sudden odd actions and watched him carefully. The boy was glued to his spot for a moment then suddenly dashed with the girl by his side.

'Linda as well?'

They suddenly ran out while their girdles around their waist dangled in the air making strange sounds unlike the musical it gave out wither they were playing around. He stood there in shock but then snapped out and ran after them. As he was about to reach them he noticed they were running into a dark alley.

"Hey! You can't go there!"

He tried to run after them as fast as he could and take hold of them. But before he could, they suddenly stopped in their tracks. He looked at them in confusion but also worried at the twins' blank and twisted expressions with a hint of shock in their golden pupils.

As he looked in the direction of their gaze, he suddenly saw it. There, was a boy with tears of blood running out of his eyes and ears and a well-kept cat lying near him.

He was lying there on the cold floor with nothing but trash near him as his blood was gushing out from him and the cat purring next to him.

 

 

AKS

4