Chapter 14
207 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Linda's slumped body lays on the sofa staring blankly at the ceiling. No sound was heard from the room as two children were the only ones in the room. She robotically turned her head and looked at her brother who was already staring at her with glinting eyes.

She breathed in and out to calm the anger burning within her. She placed her hand on his shoulder and gave herself a push. She put herself in a comfortable position, asking,

"Are you going to explain the reason for your decision to me now?"

Edwin nodded his head and sat on the carpet. He held and played with the stuffed small bunny's long ears.

"I know you realized what could benefit us and what doesn't, but I wanted to gamble so we can have our safety ensured."

He paused and carefully looked up. Seeing his sister's approval, he continued his following words.

"I know I'm particularly always forgetful in these kinds of stuff... but I want Ian to be on our site other than the enemies' side."

He paused and took a deep breath.

"You know exactly what will happen if we left him," fidgeting his fingers around its ears, "We still need to find out the cause of the duchess's sudden disappearance..."

Linda looked at Edwin who used to always have huge confidence in their safety, now doubting his capabilities. She gave a deep tiring sigh and spoke,

"I know he will be the future talented knight and is considered loyal to that person, but we haven't read the whole ongoing novel so we don't know the final villains or villains' identities, only their features. And knowing this, you decided to put him on our side, to be exact, my escort?"

Edwin flinched at her deep and serious tone of voice. Stuttering, he replied,

"I know, I wasn't..."

"Stop."

Linda rubbed her temple in frustration.

"You also know we are not in the position to decide on our own and the one who is in control of the state of our troubles is in the hands of the duchess. She is our guardian, the duchess, and the lord of the mansion."

"I can—"

"I told you not to speak out of it until we get the decision of the duchess's thoughts on this."

Looking at her brother's darting pupils looking for excuses, she stopped him from giving more. She slowly got up from her seat and raised her hand in front of him. Seeing her hand reach out to him, he hesitated but held her hand as she helped him get up.

Holding the bunny tightly, he slowly went towards their bed and put it on top of the king-sized bed's sheets. Linda once again took Edwin's hand and pulled him out of the room.

They went up to the second floor to the guest room. Their bedroom was on the first floor. Rebekah told them it would be easier for them to reach the diner room and go to the garden if they ever wanted to play out.

They were happy about her order as they didn't have to walk so much in this big mansion. The same layout was placed in their main mansion. After they grow bigger, they can have their rooms on the third floor where the family members' room is if they want to.

The twins finally reached the guest's front door. Edwin reached his fist against the door and knocked. Hearing the permission of the owner, they slowly opened the door, finding Alastair sitting down on a sofa. There was a book on top of his lap, looking in their direction with a small smile plastered on his face.

"Aiden, shall we play outside in the garden, or do you want to go and play outside of the mansion..."

Edwin was extremely happy seeing his currently only friend's rare smile and ran towards him, pulling his sister along.

"Hmm... ...The garden."

Alastair softly nodded and put the book aside. He gazed at the twins standing before them.

'Looking at their shining intellectual eyes, as expected, they are such amazing and innocent cousins of mine.'

He inwardly sighs in adoration, wanting to stroke their soft hair like before.

"What got you in a good mood to see you smile like that?"

Linda softly spoke as she silently agreed with her brother's splendid idea.

"Nothing much."

'Looking at both of your well-being rather than your deaths in front of me is the biggest blessing I could ask for.'

He got up from his seat with the help of Edwin and silently sighed.

'Seriously. I'm shorter than them even though I'm older...'

But looking back, he had always been this way even as they grew. Strength and height were the few things he couldn't keep up with them.

"Do you want me to call for someone to help or do you want an extra cane to hold you so you don't fall?"

Edwin worriedly held Alastair's hand and arm as he carefully walked him outside of the room.

Linda reached out to help from the other side and held him gently.

"You don't have to feel ashamed as we are only worried for your well-being..."

She looked at him softly knowing how stubborn towards other people's help except for theirs. During their previous meeting with Ian, he was suddenly pale and they worriedly forced him to bed.

Aiden silently stared at them and then looked down. A few moments of silence pass slowly in the halls.

'Damn it, where are the servants who are supposed to be with the prince?'

Edwin looked around irritatingly. Linda glanced at her brother and then turned around to scan if there were any knights or servants walking past in the hallways. She motioned them to move their small bodies to the garden and call one of their maids to bring dinner for them there.

"Out?"

Hearing Alastair's small voice, they carefully helped him to the garden and sat him down at his seat. After putting him down, they sat on their respective seats on each side of his.

Edwin chuckled and reached his hand out in front of Alastair. Linda curiously looked over and noticed something thin and long hanging on top of his palm gathered. Alastair widens his eyes at what it is and swiftly turns his head to Edwin in surprise.

"Haha. ...Surprise?"

Edwin's grin widened. The item he has shown is an item that was hard to get your hands on. It's able to camouflage your different colored eyes to be similar to the other eye. It's quite rare for one to be its master so people consider it useless and give up on the treasure.

Linda smiled happily and clapped her hands with excitement.

"How did you find this?"

She looked at Edwin in awe but questioned how he got it into his hand. Alastair reached for the item and held it closely. Edwin replied,

"Actually I asked Momma to get this one for my birthday present and she unexpectedly agreed to an impossible task! Isn't she so cool?!"

He giggled and proudly puffed his chest. Alastair mumbled and rubbed the bracelet preciously. He raised his hand and looked at him with a soft smile.

"Thank you..."

'Argh, my heart...'

Edwin unintentionally clasped his heart at Alastair's bright and soft smile.

'I shall protect you even if it means the cause of our lives.'

Ignoring the fact she desired her survival, she looked at him gently and decided to stay with their cute cousin even if they had to go against the protagonists.

 

 

AKS

3