Chapter 28
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"So you are telling me you found this child all alone surrounded by thugs?"

"Uhhh..."

Edwin trembled as he fiddled with his fingers in nervousness. Rebekah's once soft smile turned cold, staring at the child behind Linda.

"Hah..."

She exhaled in annoyance and rubbed her temple in frustration. She had just gone on an exploration around the forest, went to greet the emperor, social with nobles who only tried to curry favor from her...

And now she came back immediately due to the report of her children's sudden disappearance on the day just before New Year began.

"Phew."

She opened her eyes and stared at the child who was clinging to Linda's clothes, fearfully. Gently, she placed her hand on her cheek and wondered as she tilted her head.

"I guess my cold beauty has shown itself once again in front of the children..."

Rebekah mumbled softly. The twins blankly stared at her who was in deep thought.

"...Momma?"

Linda softly called out to the duchess in wonder. Rebekah looked toward her and smiled.

'Ah... Scary...'

"Hik!"

A sudden noise broke the creepy atmosphere. The trio swiftly turned their heads toward the culprit and found Romeo shivering in fear just like a white innocent bunny in front of its predators.

She frowned at the shivering child and approached 'him.' Linda slowly stepped away so she could have a good look. She kneeled on her knee and stroked the child's face.

"The child is not male..."

Her eyes gleamed with a sharp, bright golden light within her pupils then disappeared.

Edwin tilted his head in confusion as he opened his mouth.

"But his name is Romeo though? Did his parents make some sort of mistake?"

Rebekah calmly stared at the child before reaching toward her long bangs. Romeo immediately smacked away her approaching hand and backed away.

Feeling a tingling pain against the front pawn, she frowned. This pain caused her suspicions to grow even more.

'This child... She's similar to the princess.'

She frowned at her thought making her cold face even colder.

"You. Who brought you to get close to my children?"

She furiously glared at Romeo who was trembling in fear. She didn't show any gentleness towards the child anymore as she stood up.

She clenched her fist tightly. She couldn't bear to lose her children just like her older brother's child and their parents.

Having lived during the era of war, her killing intent couldn't be underestimated.

Romeo hurriedly waved her hands as she spoke, stumbling upon her words.

"N-no... I m-mean... not-t-thing. I-I mean... n-no harm!"

She didn't dare to believe a single word that the child in front of her spouted. She made a signal with her fingers and spoke.

"Take her away and place her near my room."

Rebekah gave out a cold command to the knights nearby. The knights bowed in response and one knight picked up Romeo into his arms and walked towards the staircase.

Before she leaves with the children to their room, she turns her head towards the knights as realization dawns on her.

"Also, assign 6 knights to keep an eye on that being."

She coldly spoke and turned her head as she held the twins in her arms.

Edwin and Linda stared at the duchess, speechless. They couldn't immediately process what just happened in the scene that had just unfolded before their eyes.

———

"Is this okay?"

Linda looked at her brother who was blankly staring at the blanket.

Edwin turned his eyes towards her and blinked his eyes. He sprang out from his blanket and stood up surprising Linda.

Seeing him getting off the bed, she curiously looked up to his next move.

A sound of explosion rang in the distance.

She flinched slightly at the sudden force while gazing towards the fallen chair on the floor. Turning her head she stared at her brother as if he didn't do it.

"Are you... Are you perhaps planning to throw a tantrum?"

Edwin stared at the floor intensely then turned his head towards Linda.

"What if I am?"

He spouted out the words coldly and turned his head towards the door. Linda sat there in shock.

'What?!'

She had never seen him act like that for so long. He was pissed. That was one thing she knew. And when he is in that state his stubbornness rises to another level than hers.

"B-big Bro..."

She whispered to him to at least look at her. He turned a deaf ear to her call and walked towards the door calmly.

Seeing her brother exiting the room, he was stopped.

Unlike before, two knights stood in front of their room and blocked Edwin's path. He didn't even look up to them as he stood in place.

"My apologies, young master. But if I may be so rude, may you let one of us accompany you?"

The woman with her ask grey hair brought into a ponytail stood respectfully towards Edwin. She was the lady they saw when Rebekah spoke to her about Alastair.

Her dark bronze skin shows she was an outsider to this empire which is mostly filled with people with light and pale skin.

Her eyes shone sharply showing deep scars on top of her eyes which seemed to be made by a furious beast.

Edwin stood silently then rose his head to stare at the knight in front of him. He opened his mouth and spoke.

"What's your name?"

"It's Riley, young master."

She bowed her head even more deeply. Edwin stared at her calmly towards her name. On the other hand, Linda looked at her in confusion.

According to her knowledge, that name is mostly used for males. Is it a unisex name in this world?

"Then Riley, Ian is enough to escort me to my desired destination."

Edwin softly spoke giving her a dazzling smile.

"Ekk—!"

Linda flinched and got goosebumps after staring at his blooming smile like the sun. She stared at the two knights and noticed them being bewitched by that dazzling smile on his face.

She exhaled regretfully and turned her head guilty. She once again prayed for their mental safety to their god.

 

 

AKS

2