Chapter 31 (Juliet’s POV)
48 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

It was just a normal day working at the mansion.

Washing the laundry, sweeping the marble floors, and folding clothes and sheets.

I stared outside blankly. Even if I wanted to wander off and do things freely, she would scold me back to work.

Lately, the two children have been lively the past months. I didn't feel too good about this.

'This means more of her grace's attention will be drawn to them...'

I gritted my teeth at the thought. I didn't dare to forget that day. I still could feel my skin burning in anger.

"Innocent?"

I mocked, laughing at the other's impression of them. Yes. If I were to admit, I am trying to curry favor from those nobles but what's wrong with that?

'I'm not the only one... I'm sure Mira knows that as well, just like how we common people always are.'

If I were to play dirty, of course, I would know what lay before me is a lonely path. Even if it means abandoning her one and only friend.

'If it's for him...'

I looked up outside dreamily. But a dream will always stay as a dream. I gripped my chest. A bitter feeling was crawling within me.

"Juliet?"

I looked up to see Mira looking at me with worry. I grumbled and giggled.

"What is it~?"

Mira breathed a sigh of relief. She sat down next to me and grabbed my hand tenderly.

"Remember, if you need a shoulder, I'm right here."

Her expression was gentle. Some people may look at her expressionless and think negatively of it, but deep inside she is truly a kind and gentle person.

I smiled helplessly and chuckled.

"Of course, I know that! But why are you so close with those two..."

I complained to her. She frowned not liking my complaints about them. I couldn't help it, I hated them to the bone and I'm sure nothing would change.

Knowing the existence of a child who would join the registry of the Bernstein household, she didn't want to miss it just to move from their sight.

Mira grabbed onto my shoulders and pulled me into her embrace. I widen my eyes in surprise.

"Please, don't push yourself too hard."

My eyes slowly turned misty. No! I had to be strong. I can't be swayed by her words.

So what if she were to look greedy as it's her problem and business even if she feels like she wants to die?

"No..."

She muttered quietly. She was satisfied with being accepted as her maid. Especially if it means losing Mira. Ah. Did I already say that?

I grabbed onto her body tightly. This might be the last hug I could experience. I sniffed her clean and fragrance-braided hair.

'It's always had been the smell of those flowers...'

No matter how many years passed, that smell just seemed to be stuck in time since then. I smiled happily at that thought. A bell was rung.

Again, I need to go. I released myself from the warm embrace. I fixed my short hair and waved a farewell towards Mira as I ran to the sound of the bell's rings.

"See you soon, Mira!"

"Yes..."

Mira waved back, smiling sadly, towards her departed friend's back. She didn't know what would happen next that would break the two apart. Forever.

———

A servant guilty bowed 90 degrees toward the person in front of him. He reported unwelcoming news and carefully apologized.

"I'm sorry..."

"What..?"

I stared in shock. I couldn't absorb all the words he spoke to me as I looked down with shaking eyes.

'No... impossible."

I could feel tears started streaming down my cheeks unintentionally. My ears started ringing as I held onto my ears at the noises near me.

Aghhh—

A silent scream of madness slipped out of my throat. I jumped toward the young servant and grabbed his collar in frustration.

"Why?! They said if we were to work here, our families would be under their protection!! They can't even protect one person? One elder?!"

The servant's face drained in color revealing fear within his dull brown eyes. He wanted to scream but felt something tugging on his throat.

"Tell me!"

My eyes continued to burn as I gritted my teeth in anger. I saw it, yet worried that it was their doing...

A group of four slowly formed in my mind making my stomach twist and feel my heart thumping fast.

'...I'm scared.'

My hands weakly slumped, letting go of the servant's collar. I could feel my legs quiver, slumping down onto the floor.

Ignoring the pain as I dropped onto my knees, I covered my face and laughed loudly.

"Ahahhahaha—"

He couldn't help but feel chills hearing the crazy laughter and hurriedly turned and ran to inform someone.

"Ah, haha... No..."

They promised! They promised if I did what they asked me to do they would let go of my grandmother and Mira!

"Why..?"

I looked up blankly. I felt something break within me as if my soul left my body and darkness remained within my mind.

"They promised..."

'They promised they would bring back the princess...'

The glory. The glory I once dreamed of and the peace that will be brought upon this empire. The emperor wasn't as benevolent and kind after the princess's disappearance and the empress's death.

Unknown to any of the high ranks, the academy that was for us common people to learn and graduate from turned into a political and overthrown reign.

'Will I be able to retain my grandfather's pride and joy of that academy..?'

I clasped my hands, holding back my jumbling emotions and the desire for revenge, in prayers.

While praying, I decided that I had to finally destroy all my relationships with the ones I held precious.

Opening my eyes, I firmly decided to raise Lady Ramona to the highest ranks. From the talents I had seen within her while I attended to her, I'm sure it won't be far off.

"Please lead me to a firm path to my desired destiny, oh, god..."

 

 

AKS

1