Chapter 1: Debt
34 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Your highness, the elite scouting party is back from the demonic empire!"

"They finally returned after one year!"

Following the word from the messenger, the door was pushed open by servants letting a group of knights led by their commander enter the throne room in an orderly manner before taking its stance. Each and every one of them possesses strength equal to or more than B rank adventurers while being equipped with the best armor and weapons that the kingdom could muster, those knights were one of the strongest forces and treasures as well.

"Silver knights are back to report, your majesty!"

A man in his late teen greeted the king with a salute along with others. Just like his colleagues, he dressed in similar armor with the silver shine of Mythril.

"Welcome back! You're in high spirit as always, captain Mercer. Did expedition go well as we visioned?"

An old king with grey hair said with a gentle smile. As the current king of one of the greatest human empires, he carried many responsibilities, and he would be more than happy to hear the good news that takes off one of the enormous boulders from his back.

"Yes! We took care of various issues with a sudden increase of monsters around the border, dungeon floods, and an infestation of walking blights. Then on our way back, we took care of a butcher nest found under one of the cities but regardless, our troopers took no casualties save for a few superficial wounds. "

"Good, good, good. As expected!"

King felt his fatigues from all those years disappearing from his mind and body while hearing the good news.

"On the other hand...Your highness seems your suspicion came out to be true."

"!?"

"We encountered two low-class demons who belonged to the army and after finally defeating them and forcing them to talk. There is no mistake that just fifty years later, the new demon king has emerged. And worse, it seems he had already taken total control over his empire and his army was almost fully operational. We already failed out pre-emptive assault to reduce his power."

"Then how about any news from sky empire?! They should know the damage the demon army would cause. Those arrogant bastards will not let another demon king rise that up that fast!"

He may despise them, but at least he can count on their fake justice, hypocrisy, and arrogance to hold the demon army for a while. But the next news sealed his last bit of hope of earning some time.

"Sorry to say, but through our spy network, we found out that sudden assault from unknown identity has wiped out almost four of the fifth of the forces of Sky Empire along with more than half of their flying lands."

After hearing the news king, felt all of his previous energy immediately leaving his body. Letting out a deep sign, the old king placed his elbow on the armrest of his throne and massaged his temple.

This was the worst time for the demon king would rise as the previous hero is already dead along with his comrades, the entirety of his expedition forces, and his old friend, the king of his neighboring country with his princess. With no news of the rising of a new hero chosen by the holy sword, he and his empire must endure this upcoming holy war.

But as a king, he shouldn't show this face to his subject who is counting on him. As he moves his hand from his face, the old king switched back to his usual gentle yet imposing self.

SO BE IT!

"IT IS OKAY! THERE IS NOTHING TO FEAR!"

"IN THESE PAST 30 YEARS, WE ALSO DIDN'T STAND STILL. THIS TIME JUST LIKE MY FRIEND, WE THE GREAT RICHEART EMPIRE WILL ACT AS VANGUARD AND UNITE OTHER KINGDOMS AGAINST DEMONS!"

With a clenched fist, the king declared his command and made his choice. In some way, he should be thankful for this war happening during his time, not during the time of his naive and inexperienced heir. The kingdoms still remember the horror of war and stand united, unlike previous wars that happened after 200 years. A time when all kingdoms and empires were busy fightings in their own conflicts.

"Captain! I have faith in your judgment: You shall handpick 4 people besides yourself to attempt holy trial."

"Understood, I shall not disappoint you, my king! I will promise soon the new hero shall be born!"

The second priority was to find the next hero that would be chosen by a holy sword which is crucial for the fight against the new demon king.

Following the king's command, The Great Richeart Empire has begun to prepare for the upcoming holy war that is almost at their doorstep.

"Now, it's only up to them to respond to my call."

Inside his own room old king finally took a little breather on his chair. In reality, he almost doesn't have any hope to fight against the upcoming war. Hope and courage alone will not win the war. The human race was damaged too much from the previous war and hasn't yet recovered from it.

He already could imagine the excruciating and bloody years aking to living hell. He wanted to do something but don't have the time and resources to do so.

He laid back on his chair and closed his eyes, at that moment the old king felt the responsibility and pressure is too much to bear for his back and wanted to run away. He would also like to cry out and resented the demon king who can't even wait for a century. But in the end, he can't as there is no other but him.

"Wherever the god it is I pray they respond to my call. Please give me some time."

Maybe due to his loneliness or desperation old king let out his real thought while resting his eyes. But little he did know he was not alone in his room.

"Those idiots will not listen to your plea. Why not ask from me?"

"WHO!"

After hearing a playful yet soothing woman's voice the king opened his eyes and moved his head towards the source of its voice.

Then he found the owner of the voice and at that moment he wished rather he didn't respond to it.

It was a demon possessing a towering statue that reached the ceiling of his room.

The demon had the appearance of a tall toned yet voluminous woman with bright red eyes. Her exposed ashen-colored skin was covered in bright shining runes and wore a long white robe. But her most distinct feature was a single large black and red horn on her forehead along with her purple sash with gold trim and gauntlet she wore that shone with a golden luster.

As someone who survived the last holy war old king knows many things about his enemy, so he understands the importance of those colors representing to demon race. To the demon race, the purple color represents their creator, the god of chaos. Making the only members of their kind allowed to dress or adorn in such color are direct descendants of children of chaos and the current demon king itself.

As for the gold color, it is a privilege-only demon with a demon lord title. The title of demon lord is not hereditary or something that offers on a whim of a king. But the title was given to the one who possesses power equal to the king or more and as proof, they would receive a single weapon, armor, or accessory from the temple god of chaos.

Of course, those items demon lords do not use such weak and useless metal as gold but an extremely dense metal called Kontou giving them a well-known unique golden shine. In the last war, he only received news about two demon lieutenant said that wore unique purple-colored armor and three demon generals said possessed items with golden shine but never one that have both of them.

"A-A special g-grade!!!!"

Said the king quietly, the only possible explanation he could find from the deep part of his memory.

1