Chapter 8 – Meeting Up
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arthur had just communicated with Mandy about the location of the flag. He and King Jo had figured out that the center of the city did not literally mean the heart of the city, but rather it meant the location with the most populace...the mayor's city.

 

Now, most people won't believe the mayor's office was the place with the most people wandering about. However, before the war began, Arthur was able to gather intelligence of where the ruined city in the RP would be based off of.

 

And because of that information, the young leader was able to determine why the mayor's office was the center of attention. It was because of the miniature Statue of Freedom that rested in the green lawn at the front of the building.

 

After informing Mandy, he turned his attention at the young girl before him. Though female, King Jo's codename was not incorrectly named. In actuality, it was a play on words.

 

If one was to rearrange the words, he or she would be able to spell out 'joking'. That word was the whole basis of her ability. It allowed her to turn anything into fiction or nonsense. However, that was also the reason why Arthur was reprimanding her.

 

"Look, if you're going to turn those zombies into fiction, you should at least clean up your mess so that no one can find you."

 

King Jo bowed her head and pouted. "But, if I cleaned them up, you won't be able to find me."

 

"If I was able to find you, then the enemies would be able to as well. You shouldn't be so careless about it!"

 

"B-But-"

 

"No buts! Next time, just be careful."

 

"O-Okay."

 

Suddenly....

 

SYSTEM: SQUEEK OF THE YOUTH WRITERS HAD PERISHED TO ZOMBIES!

 

"What? Squeek died? How can that be?" Arthur gasped in shock.

 

"I know, right? I thought, with his ability, he would be able to wipe out any zombie coming his way." King Jo added.

 

"That may be true, unless he was distracted."

 

"Distracted?"

 

"Yea, maybe he met with an enemy."

 

"Oh, that's true."

 

"But now that we're down a person, we are sure to be at an disadvantage. Hopefully, the events will turn for the better."

 

Right as Arthur said those words, another system message appeared. This time, it brought delightful news.

 

SYSTEM: GLORY OF THE POCKET WRITERS ASSOCIATION HAD PERISHED TO ARSENAL OF THE YOUTH WRITERS!

 

"Way to go Arsenal, you're the best!"

 

..........

 

Outside the RP....

 

SYSTEM: SQUEEK OF THE YOUTH WRITERS HAD PERISHED TO ZOMBIES!

 

SYSTEM: GLORY OF THE POCKET WRITERS ASSOCIATION HAD PERISHED TO ARSENAL OF THE YOUTH WRITERS!

 

These two messages shocked everyone who was watching. It hasn't even been an hour yet and there was already two casualties. But, since one of each team was killed, it was still too early to determine whose team had an early advantage.

 

Still, there were Writers who could argue this point. Some say that, although Squeek's ability was good for area-effect attacks, his ability was very consuming and disadvantageous in close combat.

 

Others argued that, though Glory had a strong defense and ranged capabilities, he was weak in close combat and his towers could not move.

 

As the audience argued and betted, two flashes of light shone on stage and the two defeated Writers emerged. Glory looked at Squeek and smirked.

 

"What are you smirking about?" Squeek snapped when he saw Glory's sneer.

 

"Do be killed by cannon fodder...hilarious!" Glory replied.

 

"You PWA's are all hateful!"

 

"All hateful? There's something I've been wondering about. Why do you hate us so much? What did we do to you?"

 

"Why should I tell you? If you want to know, ask that Eden of yours."

 

"Eden? What do you mean by that?"

 

Glory grabbed onto Squeek's shoulders but the young teenager slapped his hands away. "Unhand me you vermin! Activate! Mouse Swarm! A thous-"

 

"Want to go? Come on then! Activate! Summon Tower! Fire Cannon Tow-"

 

"What do you think you're doing?!" A stern voice echoed throughout the stadium. A surge of Creativity smashed into the two Writers, sending them sprawling off stage. "Are you kids? Sit there and watch the show!"

 

"Y-Yes sir!" The two scrambled to their knees and bowed in embarrassment.

 

The man who spoke was an elder of the Writing Council. With a grunt, he walked back to his seat. The hostess walked up to him and asked. "Who do you think will win?"

 

"Both communities are rather new. I've heard about the Youth Writers. They were children of veteran Writers who gave up their lives for the cause. As for the Pocket Writers Association, I've only heard about them when they defeated the Madness Suzerain in RP. They seem strong, but I believe the Youth Writers would win this one."

 

"Why is that? Didn't you say the Pocket Writers Association was strong?"

 

"Yes...but that is due to the older members. The ones that defeated the Madness Suzerain are not here. I heard that the members participating with their leader in this war are all rookies. Though I don't have much information about them, I believe they only have a 20% chance of winning."

 

"Is that so? Hmm, however, I believe otherwise."

 

"Oh? How so?"

 

"Just a hunch...a woman's intuition if you will."

 

"Uh-huh."

 

"Don't laugh. Watch me be right."

 

"Yea, yea."

 

"Seriously, stop grinning like an idiot."

 

"Haha."

 

"Seriously!"

 

..........

 

Back inside the RP, on PWA's side....

 

"No! Glory is dead." Eden sighed. At least, death in this RP was not like the RP he was in when he and his friends faced the Madness Suzerain. At least, the death would only result in being kicked out of the RP.

 

"No worries, Eden. We'll avenge him." Gino patted Eden on his back.

 

"Yea." Eden nodded towards the young man. He tapped on the head of the tiny owl seated on his shoulders. "Owl, can you tell us where Glory died?"

 

Owl's voice resounded in their minds. "Glory seemed to have died by the post office. The coordinates are as follows."

 

"Hmm, okay, I got it. Are there anyone near us?"

 

"JJ and Eros are at the city pond to your far left."

 

"Gotcha. Thanks for the info."

 

"No problem."

 

"Should we go?" Gino asked when Eden finished with his call.

 

"Yea, let's meet up with JJ and Eros. Then, the four of us will head over to the post office."

 

The two hurried across the park towards the city pond. Along the way, they met a couple of zombies. Eden would call out his Garden of Eden while Gino attacked the zombies.

 

Whenever he received damage from the zombies, Gino would rush into the Garden of Eden to heal. Once he healed back to full health, the Writer would charge back into the fray with his large, furred claws.

 

The two continued until they reached the city pond where they saw JJ and Eros sitting by a fire, waiting for their clothes to dry.

 

Eden waved towards them. "JJ! Eros! It's good to see you!"

 

"Eden, Gino! It's good to see you too!" JJ hopped to their feet and waved back. Eros shivered by the campfire and waved as well.

 

The four sat by the campfire and discussed their next step. Eden told them that they should head over to the post office and try to avenge Glory. He asked JJ and Eros if they have any comments to this plan. Both Writers were fervent in agreeing. They too wanted revenge for Glory's death. Eden smiled and clapped his knees.

 

"Then, it's settled. Let's go. There's no time to waste."

 

"Alright!"

 

..........

 

As soon as Owl made contact with everyone, he descended down the building. Luckily, there were only a few zombies in the building. Otherwise, a support like him would not survive.

 

Since the elevator doesn't work, Owl took to the stairs. As he dashed down the flight of steps, he abruptly stopped and held his breath. There was a zombie blocking the stairway.

 

Fortunately, the zombie did not sense him. Owl reached around him for a weapon and found half a brick. Weighing the brick in his hand, Owl eyed the monster. If he could just knock it down the stairs, then he would be able to run past it before it could get up and attack.

 

Having a plan in mind, Owl approached the zombie. He carefully aimed the brick at the zombie, hoping that he could get a headshot. With a mighty heave, Owl launched the brick at the zombie.

 

However, the brick flew past the zombie and crashed down to the floor below. The loud noise drew the zombie's attention. It neared the edge of the stairs and leaned forward, trying to sense any more sounds.

 

Taking advantage of this, Owl built up his motivation and charged. With a flashy kick, he sent the zombie sprawling down the flight of stairs. Owl rushed down and jumped over the zombie. With a burst of speed, he sped across the first floor and out of the building...right into Kit!

 

"Oh, hey Kit!"

 

"Hey, Owl! Didn't know you were this close to me!"

 

"Same."

 

"You look out of breath. Did something happen?" Kit asked as he handed Owl a bottle of water.

 

"Just a little encounter with a zombie. Where did you get this water bottle from?"

 

"From the Marathon Kit."

 

"Marathon Kit? Oh, you mean from your ability?"

 

"That's right."

 

"Well, that's convenient."

 

"Haha, well.... Anyways, where to next?"

 

Owl glanced about and then pointed into the distance. "You see that water tank over there?"

 

"Yea. What about it? Is that where we're going?"

 

"Yea, around there. That water tank is right by the post office where Glory died. I've already notified Eden and Gino. They will meet up with JJ and Eros before venturing to that location. Let's go meet up with them."

 

"Okay. Unity means strength, after all."

 

..........

 

"I can't believe Glory died. Do you think he had the chance to show off his prowess before he went kkeughh?" A young girl asked her female friend as she ran her thumb across her throat.

 

"I don't know Lala, maybe." The female friend replied. She surveyed their surroundings, taking note of anything unusual. "You see that statue over there?"

 

"Where?"

 

"There."

 

"Ah, I see it. Isn't that the Statue of Freedom?"

 

"Yea. A miniature version too."

 

"So?"

 

"Can't you tell? Look around us. Everywhere is in ruins yet that statue is not. What does that tell you?"

 

"T-That there's something important about that place."

 

"Bingo! I bet that's where the flag is."

"You sure?"

 

"Got any other choice?"

 

"No."

 

"Then, it's settled. Let's go!"

 

..........

 

As Gem and Blank reached the mayor's office, Blank couldn't help but feel a bit excited. Victory was just a couple of steps away. If he could grab onto the flag for one minute, then the RP Community War would be over.

 

Before Blank could enter the building, Gem excitedly dragged him over to the miniature Statue of Freedom centered at the front lawn. Gem pointed at the statue and commented on how it looked exactly like the real thing. Blank nodded calmly but urged Gem to hurry and secure the flag in case the enemies arrived as well.

 

SYSTEM: SQUEEK OF THE YOUTH WRITERS HAD PERISHED TO ZOMBIES!

 

SYSTEM: GLORY OF THE POCKET WRITERS ASSOCIATION HAD PERISHED TO ARSENAL OF THE YOUTH WRITERS!

 

Suddenly, two system messages appeared, one after the other. When the first message appeared, Gem sighed in grief but Blank showed no signs of sadness. However, when the second message popped up, Gem saw Blank's face paled down a notch.

 

Curious, Gem asked Blank what was going on with him. "Dem, why's your face pale? Are you not feeling well?"

"Eh? Ah, well one of our own died. Of course I would feel a bit pale."

 

"Really? How come you didn't show any signs when the system pronounced the death of Squeek. But when it said that one of the enemies were killed, your face noticeably changed. Why is that?"

 

"Uh...delayed reaction."

 

"Really? Hehe, for a second I thought you were sad because the enemy died."

 

"N-No! How could that be?"

 

"Something's different about Dem."

 

"What's different? Come, let's go get that flag and be done with this."

 

Blank turned around and dragged Gem into the building. As they entered, Gem suddenly pulled Blank back. Blank gulped slightly and turned towards the young girl.

 

"What?"

 

"Let's wait for Arthur first. We'll let him have the honors of capturing the flag."

 

"But-"

 

"But what?"

 

"Nothing."

 

"Then, stay here with me and wait."

 

"O-Okay."

 

..........

 

Keyes and Mandy were on their way to the post office. Along the way, they ran into a number of zombies. However, they both did not have many offensive abilities and could not defend themselves. Thus, they could only keep avoiding. After their last encounter with a couple of zombies, Mandy finally could not take it.

 

"This isn't going anywhere! We can't progress forward with all these avoiding. There has to be something we can do."

 

Keyes rubbed her temples for a bit and mumbled. "Maybe you can draw them away by using your mandrakes."

 

"I can, but the scream would only last for a minute. Who knows how many zombies it would attract in that time? What would we do by then?"

 

"Let me see...oh, you see that police station over there?"

 

"Yea...I see! You think we can get some guns from there?"

 

"I believe so. They should have something. I'll use my ability to get us in."

 

"Alright, then let's do that. Activate! Mandrake! Summon Mandrake!"

 

A mandrake appeared in Mandy's palm. She threw the mandrake out and it tunneled into the ground. Moments later, the mandrake reappeared at a distance away. With a sharp, piercing cry, the mandrake began attracting all the zombies within the vicinity.

 

Mandy and Keyes rushed towards the police station with their ears covered. Keyes waved her hand before her and, using her ability, unlocked the building's front entrance.

 

They barreled into the police station and quickly locked the doors. Mandy observed the room and confirmed that there were no zombies.

 

Keyes walked over and patted on Mandy's back. "You stay here and watch the situation outside. I'll got get us some weapons."

 

"Okay!"

 

"Oh, and if you can contact Arthur, tell them where we are."

 

"Un!"

 

..........

 

"The upgrades are finally complete." Fan shouted as she set down the last line of defenses.

 

Homer glanced up and sarcastically mumbled. "Really? All you did was place a couple of fans around. What good would that do?"

 

"Hey! I heard you!"

 

Homer shrugged and turned to stare at the direction Arsenal went. A shadowy figure appeared from the horizon, causing him to feel a bit excited. "Arsenal's back! Fan, it's Arsenal! He's back!"

 

"I see him! Hey Arsenal! Nice going with the kill!"

 

Arsenal smiled and shouldered his sniper rifle. He waved back and continued towards their base. Upon arriving, he could not help but snicker at the sight of the 'remodeled' building.

 

"What's up with all these fans?"

 

Homer murmured in agreement. "I know, right?"

 

"Homer! Shut it! At least I did something! You didn't do anything but sulk there like an emo kid."

 

"What are you talking about? While you were busy decorating, I laid down a couple of traps nearby."

 

"You did?"

 

"Yea, I did."

 

Arsenal smiled and motioned them to calm down. "Now, now. Let's not argue anymore. Let's camp here for the rest of the RP."

 

"What? Why?" Fan asked.

 

"Don't you know?" Homer smirked. "The road next to this building is the only one that leads directly to the center of the city. The enemies have to come through us first."

 

"I see. So we are the first line of defense."

 

"Yea." Arsenal mumbled as he aimed his sights at the horizon. "Shh! I see something at the post office! Could be zombies, could be them...I'm not sure. Regardless, raise you guards. We may be going into battle soon."

 

"Okay!"

 

..........

 

Some time later at the post office....

 

"I see that everyone except for Blank, Lala, and Amisa are here." Eden replied as he looked at his growing group.

 

"Yea, I wonder where they are right now. Owl, any word from them?" JJ asked.

 

"No word from Blank. Last I heard from him, he had disguised himself as one of the enemies and was currently heading over to the mayor's office." Owl scratched his neck as he responded to JJ's question.

 

"Since the system hasn't said anything, then he's probably still safe." Eros remarked.

 

"Un, I believe so as well. As for Lala and Amisa, they've spotted the Statue of Freedom and are currently heading over there. Maybe they can provide some intel on Blank."

 

"I see. I hope so." Eden nodded. "Then, let's conduct the next part of our plan. As there aren't any major aberrations, we can continue with Plan A. You guys still remember?"

 

"Yea." Everyone responded.

 

"Okay, according to my knowledge, we're in Stylus City. And if my memory is correct, this road leads directly to the mayor's office."

"So, what? We just go?" Gino asked.

 

"Not exactly. Remember, Arsenal appeared here. Of course, he isn't here anymore, but he should be nearby. My guess is that he must have set up some base nearby, most likely blocking the road to the mayor's office."

 

"That makes sense." Kit nodded.

 

"What we should do is to prepare. Kit, got any bulletproof equipment?"

 

"I do." Kit smiled as he raised his hand up. "Activate! Specialty Kit! Swat Kit times six!"

 

Six large, black kits emerged from the Creativity-made portal. With a loud bang, they landed solidly on the ground. The Writers each took one and opened them. Inside was standard Swat outfits, tactical shields, and weaponry.

 

The seven quickly changed into their new outfits. Once everyone was battle ready, Eden motioned for them to proceed onwards. Since the seven of them are together, Owl sent out the seven tiny owls and had them fan out while scouting the paths ahead of them.

 

JJ had transformed into Jay in order to raise his offensive capabilities. Gino transformed both of his hands while protecting Eros behind him. Suddenly, Owl screamed for everyone to get down. All six Writers sprawled onto the ground as a bullet whiz past their heads.

 

Eden rolled to his knees and lifted up his tactical shield. "Sniper in front! Everyone! Tactical shields up!"

 

The six Writers raised their tactical shields and formed a line. Eden continued to issue out orders. "Steady! Slowly get to your feet! Don't lower your shields! Continue march! Owl, find the sniper!"

 

"I'm on it!" Owl nodded as he searched through the visions of his owls. "There! Northeast of us! He's sitting on the roof of a weird-looking building. There's two others with him!"

 

"Okay! Continue forward! Keep shields aimed northeast!"

 

The six Writers continued down the road. Arsenal kept shooting but to no avail as the tactical shields were practically impenetrable. Then, Arsenal thought of something. He activated his ability and reached into his Vault. The item he pulled out was a rocket launcher. Arsenal aimed the heavy weapon at the enemies and fired.

 

When Eden saw the rocket fly towards them, he hollered in panic. "Missile incoming! Huddle up!"

 

Everyone moved as close as they can to Eden while he began to activate his ability. Immediately, everyone was transported into the Garden of Eden. The rocket flew into the Garden and shimmered past with a loud explosion. No damage was done on the Garden of Eden so naturally, no damage was done to Eden and the rest.

 

Eden released his ability and ordered their march to continue. Seeing his attack fail, Arsenal threw away his rocket launcher and picked out a gatling gun. He aimed at the enemy lineup and fired.

 

TATATATATATATATATATATATATA!!!

 

The shields held up, however, as the Writers approached closer to Arsenal's base, the power of the bullets increased. Finally, Eden, who bore the brunt of the rapid fire, saw his shield crack. Immediately, he roared out.

 

"Everyone! Disperse!"

1