0-2-The Ruminations, Thoughts, and the Death of Tanya Von Degurechaff
558 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Von Degurechaff Residence, Berun, 24 September 1932, Sometime in the night

Tanya woke from her trance with a start as she reacted to a loud noise, only to find that she had changed to her pajamas, and that she had crushed the coffeecup she had been sipping from while being swallowed by memories of events long past. She sighed deeply, thinking that being near to death sure did change people's perspectives on time and did wonders to a person's ability to quietly ruminate as they went about their daily lives. Tanya sighed, and waved her hands, collecting all of the shards of the coffeecup and gathering them on her table.

"Now, lets see if I can manage to take this mass of around 50 grams and manage to move it with my newfound powers."

And so, she put forth the entirety of her concentration on the shards of the ceramic cup and, as one, gathered them with just her newfound powers, and dumped them in her dustbin, which she shall empty for the last time on the dot at 8 AM on the dot, just as usual. She twitched her eyebrow at that thought, suppressing it under other, more pleasant thoughts, like the fact that she might have finally convinced her former associates that she was in fact a woman and not an ideal soldier given form in a little girl.

At this, she frowned, slightly consternated at herself. Her prior self may have only had associates and partners, but she, as she was now, did in fact have friends.

Suddenly, a loud growl was heard, and Tanya frowned, looking at her stomach, "So, my unconscious self also dislikes cooking, huh, makes sense." and sighed.

She got up from her small table, and slowly walked to he kitchen, and as she did, the whole house shifted.

Tanya closed her eyes and concentrated hard, moving all the implements in her kitchen just as she brought out a set of cleaning implements from her broom closet just as she closed all the windows and blinds. Pots and pans emerged from the kitchen cupboards, salt, vegetables, water, various meats and spices were moved from their resting places in her cool freezer and were placed on the table in front of Tanya, who looked like a conductor guiding a soundless orchestra, the music being composed by the various items in her control, numbering not more than three dozen.

Once she brought forth all the necessary ingredients and implements for cooking, she closed her eyes and contemplated deeply.

This was a very important decision that the rest of her life hinged upon, one nearly reaching the amounts of stress she took to write several University-Graduate level papers on magic, and was much more stressful than thinking of various welfare schemes, regardless of the fact that such schemes were just appropriated from her submerged memories. She deeply contemplated this moral quandary before finally shrugging.

"You're it", she says simply before closing and opening her eyes and sighing again.

"I seriously dislike cooking, no matter how much of an affinity I seem to have for it. It also doesn't help that I still recall some things I should not whenever I touch meat", she says critically as she analyzed the ingredients-that-are-soon-to-be-made-palatable-somehow in front of her and sighed deeply once more.

She waved her hand, and from some unknown corner of the kitchen flew towards her hand a piece of cloth.

She caught it in her hand and unfurled it and looked at it critically. This cloth turned out to be an apron made for use in the kitchen, and had a cute little blonde girl on the front with a bubble reading "I'm cooking!!!" with, for some reason she could not fathom, three exclamation marks, shrugged, and put it on.

Then, she started her work, and began chopping vegetables and mincing meat and all other tasks that cooking a meal for an ordinary family of four extraordinary woman, with not a sound except for some slight grumbles every now and then about her appetite and some suppressed curses when she noticed she was out of gas, and was forced to heat her food artificially (well, more artificially) with her magic, using her right hand as a heater, heating each pot to perfect heating.

And hour after she began this great and arduous deed for which she did not recieve the credit she was due, even if, in fact, the credit she was due was from herself, she was done, and not a single blemish on her, and a three-course meal before her, and sighing once more as she looked at the clock. "Its late, why did I bother to make so much food? I could have just as easily have made do with some milk and a bit of those chocolates at the back.". she grumbled as she scrounged about the room, scrounging her house for some silverware that wasn't too fancy for her personal use.

She found some after not much time of searching and finally sat before her food. It was a classical English breakfast, which was ironic on many levels, which she would notget into there, considering she and the Empire had just escaped a humiliating defeat by the Allied Kingdom's hand, and that over the war, she recalled a certain someone hurling several insults to the Allied Kingdom's foods.

She devoured her food with utmost spped and precision while also somehow not appearing as a glutton. She blinked after she finished her meal, seeing nothing but empty plates before her, stacked neatly, and sighed once more. She waved her hand and placed all the place next to her pots and pans in her sink by the very same magic she used through the night.

She walked a bit, roaming her small house before she reached her washroom, and washed her face with the warm water she had very thoughtfully set beforehand before staring at the mirror before her, sighing deeply.

Her eyes were still heterochromatic, one so yellow it could very much be gold, and another so blue it could very well be silver. There was a problem though, her golden eye was emitting a soft glow while her silverish-blue eye was dim, showing a strange dichotomy between her eyes, more so than usual. So she sighed and closed her eyes, muttering "Of all the pains I go through for the short life I have remaining." and when she opened her eyes again, her golden eye was no longer emitting the soft glow it had before, but instead was shining like an animal with nightvision in the dark when looking at a lightsource, and so was her other eye, except it looked eery, the soft glow like in ghosts seen in various medias in a life forgotten.

She looked at herself with a huge, angel-like smile on her face, with cute dimples on her face and giggled.

Anyone who had known her prior to the 'apocalypse' event, would have immediately shat their pants then and there and run screaming like little girls, regardless of their status, gender or age and hope with all their mights that that smile was not made with them anywhere near her thoughts.

She dried off her face and hands with her magic (this is extremely risky to ordinary mages, operation orb or not, due to the non-zero chance of them frying themselves from within or simply melting their faces off) and danced towards the second floor of her house, humming a tune under her breath as she did so.

At the second floor, there were three rooms, two of which were spare rooms with nothing much except for memorabilia of her past, including a Type-97, her past uniform, various medals, rifle, pistol, and not much else.

The third room however, was special. She had spent several months and maybe years in that room, looking for other ways to leave her name behind, and not just because she had found a new passion that would not lead to several people dying by just it's existence. She reached around her neck, and extracted a string, which in turn took out a single old fashioned 5 inches long key and unceremoniously shoved it into the old lock.

As she turned the key and slowly opened the door, she looked at her magnum opus(as much as others might disagree, this would give her the most joy if it is what people remembered her by, and hence, in her opinion, it was her magnum opus, she would take no disagreement of this statement, not even from egoistic voices in the back of her head) and started humming another tune under her breath as she glanced around the room which was easily the size of her living and dining room combined, and fumbled to turn on the light. She saw heaps and heaps of paper, seemingly disorganised, but only due to the lack of shelves as they had been arranged from left to right in order with the book on top of an oiled tarp covered object being the index and guide of what is what and where it is.

She looked around her and twitched, her fingers itching at the thought of using the thing under the tarp, her spending her last hours doing what she truly loved, and just as she stepped towards the tarp, right hand extended, and suddenly stopped. The glow of her eyes suddenly felt hot, burning, instead of the usual warm. Her smile froze on her face as she stopped, and turned around. She moved to one of her spare rooms and stood before it, deeply aware of what lied beyond, sighed deeply, the look of her eyes changing, one of them changing entirely, as she slowly reached out, twisted the door knob and entered the empty darkness that lied beyond, or that would be how it would seem to the observer.

General Staff Office, Berlin, 25 September, 1932, Shortly after midnight, ten minutes after Tanya entered the spare room

"So, Generals and officials of the General Staff Office, as soon as you all heard a very moving story about how one of our youngest officers and possibly the brightest mind in the entirety of berlin on all things warfare, declared that she would either die or relinquish from office within two days of her birthday and learning that saud birthday was in fact today"-he gets interrupted by someone whispering something into his ear-"sorry, yesterday, and WHAT was your first reactions? Can you please repeat what exactly it is you had ordered our secret police to do to a retired veteran who, according to her private doctor, admitted to rememberin not a single detail of her life prior to that moment and I quote,"It seems to be like I was reading a book in my dreams, and I was rudely awoken from my dreams, only to find myself in the world of the book." and who still devoted another month of her life, which, as we now understand, was more limited than anyone had ever thought of, to active service before retreating to the backlines , not that there was any war for there to be a backline for, and dedicated the rest of her life to researching natural phenomenon while endeavouring to improve the lives of those in her situation but not dealt a good hand? What did you do as soon as you heard she was retiring?", A tall, beefy man with a generous mustache and not a lot of black hair on his head raged at the pitiful excuses for men he saw before him as he despaired for a child who could have very well have been the greatest soldier the world had ever known and was certainly the best one he had the pleasure of knowing.

Just as an officer opened his mouth, someone knocked the door to the office, twice.

General Rudersdorf raised an eyebrow and gestured for the NCO to open the door, leading to a very desperate officer to enter the room, who immediately shouted said with a very vigorous voice ,"Sirs of the General Staff, someone claiming to be the colonel has come here, wanting to enter the office, claiming to be suffering from an indignity"

Rudersdorf frowned at the man, making him wither noticably. "Well, what are you wasting our times for, it is much past time for any officer to come here, not even including the fact that it is a small miracle that the meeting is still in session at this time at peacetime, why is it that the Colonel has come, and what has you so flustered soldier?" he asked as he noticed the soldier trembling.

The soldier took a deep breath and said, "Sir, behind the Colonel, there were several men tied to each other by a hemp rope and were being dragged singlehandedly by the Colonel"

Rudersdorf raised an eyebrow ,"So? Im sure that many of us could do this in our youths", he said as silent laughter broke out through the room.

The soldier gulped, as if fearing that response and said ,"But sir, she pulled them with just one hand up the steps and to the nearest NCO, who was at least a hundred steps from the room and didnt seem even a little winded after the fact."

Rudersdorf frowned, then laughed, as he knew who this troublemaker was at once.

There would be noone other than her who could perfectly follow rules while also seeming to break them at the same time.

"Let her in" He commanded.

The NCO gulped, and ran off to obey the order.

Shortly after, in cam Tanya Von Degurechaff, in the Imperial Uniform for the first time in years. "She looks exactly the same as she did before, with only her feminine charms enhanced times infinite, because she is quite the looker"

She stood before the General Staff Office and said something extremely weird after pulling out a sheaf of papers from the bag she carried with her.

She said that the sheaf of papers were her will, to be read out within two hours of her laying them on the table.

She then asked for an NCU to call Doctor Schugel and tell him to execute Plan Respice ad Futurum and to bring several high-sensitivity mana detectors and a comfortable chair.

Then, she removed her clothes before the people of the general staff, only waist-up of course.

Rudersdorf saw immediately why she felt no shame in this however, for this was apparent as soon as she removed her undershirt.

Everything below three inches of where her adam's apple would be if she was a man, her skin simply stopped, and her body was entirely made of golden light, or maybe her skin was covered by golden light.

She explained that over time her mana had crystallized in her body, slowly turning her into a bigger version of the Quad-Core, from several years prior.

She explained that she had to express her power in some format or the other or she would have exploded from the sheer power coursing through her veins, that the only way she had lasted four years was by being extremely exquisite in her mana usage and not letting her body leak any at all. She explained that this was why she had extraordinary superhuman strength and speed as several detectors were wound around her. She also mentioned in passing that she had planned to pass away while doing what she enjoyed most, for she imagined that her passing would be a beautiful affair for all those present, including her. At this, when asked why she would think so, she simply replied ,"Because this is what I feel I would like most, and that my magic will obey."

After this, as all the proffessionals present finished setting her up to the specialised mana detector, made solely for her, he realised, as they removed a transparent silicon helmet from their bag of equipment to put on her head. As this went on, her cap fell off her as she winced to some unknown pain. As she righted herself, her eyes glowed a bright gold, with her souls aflame, with no end to the endlessly warm flames that warmed all who looked into it, she asked the doctor to record the time when her hair turned gold once more, for that would be the moment of death.

Her head of bright silver hair was glowing brighter and brighter as she said so and she said something about leaving something behind for the world to remember her not as a Devil but as the Argent, she nodded at Rudersdorf, the only one she interacted with in the entire room before this,and her hair burned gold, blinding the room. The mana detectors went haywire, but still they dutifully recorded the end of a legend.

As she passed, the world itself mourned in it's own way, causing the entirety of Berlin to glow white, with bits of gold in between, bleaching all surfaces white, and causing the skies above berlin to clear just as the sun rose. Several meteors were said to streak the sky, although no astronomer spotted them before they reached the Earth's atmosphere.

Around the city of Berlin, Amaranths were found blooming in places where before there were simply grasslands.

Later, when the government erected a monument to the death of Tanya Von Degurechaff, Ambrosias, Ambrosias and Amaryllis were found growing nearby within a mile of the monument and no further despite the lack of assistance and suitable weather.

When her prior adjutant, Viktoriya Ivanovna Serebryakov released her musical works as per her will, while retaining the original records and the piano used, it took the world by storm for her music was far ahead of its time.

She had left her mark on the world, and would be remembered for her music and numerous policies whose roots can be traced to her, and not many had remembered, and less cared, that she had once been called the Devil of The Rhine, who had lived a very tumultuous life, before dying in mysterious circumstances.

She was Tanya Von Degurechaff, and she had indeed told the world that she had been there, not as a devil, but as simply herself, which is arguably a greater thing.

 
22