Chapter 57: On the abyssal behavior of karlawing
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Karlawing is a common behavior among the succubi of Machrae Diir. It consists entirely of weird little vocalizations, sometimes unique to the succubus, sometimes shared in a friend-group or community.

The slang "karlaw" is adapted from Kairlina's own personal sound palette.

She tends to karlaw when lounging about in bed, feeling cuddly and/or horny, being obstinate, causing trouble (this usually involves gratuitous abuse of her talons), or because another succubus happened to karlaw and she wants to join in.

These are widely-shared themes.

Karlawing appeals to something innate to the succubi, perhaps as a result of the central role lust and dreams play in their personhood. It's a way to express pure being without needing something specific to say. In short, karlawing comes straight from the abyssal succubus brain. A succubus becomes much happier when she karlaws, also experiencing a sense of safety, community, and love which grows if other succubi join her.

This might be why her instincts tend to turn towards sex if she keeps at it. Words call for awareness, which often activates fight-or-flight responses. Cheerful gremlin noises are a way for a succubus to reinforce to herself that she's among trusted beings. Give a succubus safety and she won't want to do much besides cuddle, fuck, and make her odd little sounds.

Succubi do retain an understanding of language even while they don't use it. If they didn't, it would not have become known that one of the swiftest ways to the heart of a succubus in Machrae Diir is to compliment her karlawing. Praise such as "the darling, she sings for me!" is always well-received.

The next time you find yourself wandering the clubs, taprooms and restaurants of the Lambent Quarter and a group of thousand year-old demonesses erupt into their strange adorable noises, you'll know it's karlawing.

And if you feel oddly at home... why not try joining in?

0