Chapter 8
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"most people wrote a diary when they went through intensive training. Where's yours? I even put paper in your room."

"It's only been half a year, and you think I'm desperate enough to write a diary?" 

"Ho," he exclaimed,"big words for a little man!"

"Small talk for a big elf- funny ain't it? You know, your words have really inspired me to write my thoughts about you in my diary, so you can know exactly what I think of you without getting my hide whipped, and you'll be the one in the wrong for going through my things."

"Doesn't work that way, Inkle."

"I know, that's why I haven't done it," i replied.

.......

He punched and I blocked, but since he was stronger than me my block didn't do much. I took two steps back, and as he lunged at me, i side-stepped and tripped him. He stumbled, and as he straightened I was by his side pushing him up. Not expecting the assistance, he overreached and tipped to the other side, and fell back onto my rising knee. He expertly landed using his back as a cushion, and using a weird technique he jumped with his shoulder blades into my incoming fist, which he took hold of and swung forwards with, tilting my balance. Then he loosend his arms while still holding my fist so he fell, and with a sudden tug, I was bent over him with Fix on the floor. He raised his foot to my stomach to use as a moment as he pulled my arm and pushed with his foot, to drop me on my back next to him. I pushed back with my stomach so the extra force turned into a flip, and I landed on my feet. In my carelessness, I forgot that he was still holding me, and with a tug from him I fell back. Aiming my free arm's elbow at his stomach, he took the hit in exchange for the opportunity to grapple me.

He let go and got off the floor. "Good," he said with a small smile, "very good. And in only a year. Do you understand the importance of what you just did?"

I nodded, and his smile widened. Then it disappeared and he said "But you still need to work on reactions and counter attacks."

"Isn't that what you're here for?"

"Still confident? We'll be starting weapons training soon."

.......

"It's time you learn the cant," Fix said one after-training-session.

"Can't? Can't what?"

"Thieves' cant"

"Thieves' can't what?"

"The language of thieves and rouges" Fix clarified.

"What? There's thievish?"

He rubbed his temple and said, "you're usually much smarter than this, did you suddenly turn stupid from excessive training?"

He took awhile to explain about the rough outline of the Rogue underworld, which is different from the normal underworld.

He explained to me the main rogue organizations and what their known for. That's not to say that's all they do though.

Rogues' guild- general training for rogue classes

Thieves' association- for heist hookups

Assassin's brotherhood- hired blades 

Beggars union- espionage and information gathering 

There were a few other ones which were not nearly as powerful. These five organizations often paired with one another and help each other out. Together they formed a coalition. They have a recognized method of communication that can help you say things in the open with hidden meanings, because the best place to hide something is where everyone can see it but only those who are supposed to can understand it. And a year and a half from was when I started learning to become a rogue, I was taught thieves' cant.

0