Chapter 41 – Noble Without a Kingdom
310 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

//Author Note: Rotten Æther | Scribble Hub//

 

There is no saving this city or this kingdom.

It is long dead, and all that might be done is save the people living here. We might rebuild once more, gather together under a new banner and form a new kingdom from the scattered pieces abandoned by the old one but to do so, I’d need the power to resist the lingering strength of what is already dead. I would need knights capable of subduing the criminal elements that have seized this city; castle, crown and throne. A king is more than simply a man who calls himself such, it is a role, and when the commoners do not see a man as a king, then he no longer deserves such a title.

My own nobility is lost forever in a state between life and death by the same curse.

To rebuild, I would need to cast out or force into submission, the forces that currently control this place. Only a decade ago, a formidable army capable of burning the entire kingdom down, failed to do just that, and so I too would fail no matter how much of myself I dedicate to the task. The commoners that I am meant to serve, I cannot save. Not so long as they stay inside this city.

But then, it might still be said that I am no longer a noble, and thus have no responsibilities.

There is no citizen, beyond Therina, who truly believes that I am responsible for them. Even those who have recently taken to serving me are doing so for the reward, it is no different for them compared to serving a rich merchant, and I doubt that they trust in me as a commoner should trust in their noble. The relationships that hold a kingdom together are long ago broken. I haven’t the strength to mend them. Not here, at least.

“I intend to relocate,” I say, sitting in the lounge as I face Sonia, Lewark, Riese, Piper, and all others of importance. Their responses are varied, as they are all certainly of various minds about this themselves. The freed slaves are perhaps the most intrigued by this opportunity.

The greatest reason for them deciding to linger here is the fact that they have nowhere else to go, and I can offer some little safety while they stay. The kingdom is not as dangerous to them as it once was, and their sort are welcome among the commoners, even if most nobles and knights are disgusted with them. If I am to leave, they might have an opportunity to follow, and search for their own home on the road to my destination.

“This is about Aldramodore?” Lewark asks.

“I will admit, that I am concerned about him as well,” I say, nodding slowly to his question. “That is not it, however. I have stayed here to repair my family’s name and to act as a proper noble ought to, but that is no longer a consideration worthy of my time. I haven’t the strength to stand against our enemies in this city, they will take as they please and I cannot protect my people. My family’s name, my name, is worthless if I haven’t the power to stand against all villains that would harm my people.

“It is as if I’ve claimed a portion of an enemy city, and I am surrounded by those who would destroy us. The only rightful means of success is to lead an army to the castle and cast out those who would harm us. I am lacking an army, and quite ill-suited to building one.”

Lewark blinks at me a few times, leaning back on his chair as he considers my words. “You think that the vampires control the royal family?”

“I do not know what to think,” I admit. “In simple fact, it does not matter who is master and who is servant. The powers that lord over this city, are blatantly villainous and I cannot do my duty while they persist in their own endeavours. I must leave, find somewhere that I can do some good with what power I have.”

“Where are you hoping to go?” Riese asks. “We’ve all been searching for our own new home, there are some wild lands out there where we can establish a new village, but we don’t know where to go to find them. Where we would be safe.”

“Most lands near to us are still claimed by the same powers that rule this city,” I shake my head. “It may be safe for a time, but I would rather be further beyond their reaches. I know too little about the current state of the northern tribes, and somehow doubt that they would welcome me, while the southern cities are already well established, and without considerable riches, I would find no future there.”

Therina looks hopeful, trusting in my decisions while Henry is crossing his arms and seeming thoughtful.

“You’re crossing the great eastern mountains, aren’t you?” he asks, chuckling to himself as he stares up at the ceiling. “Just like half the idiots I know, out there chasing riches.”

“It is a wild place, and many go there seeking riches,” I nod in agreement. “More than that, it is beyond the ordinary reaches of the kingdom. What agents they have, might be hunted down and their local power extinguished. We might claim that place for the people who live there to be free from the claws of conspiracy that have stolen the life of our home.”

“You want a revolution?” Lewark’s eyes open wide as he accuses me of such. The man would be obliged by his own title of reeve to have me hanged for such an admission, but I know that he is not searching for it.

“Don’t be absurd,” Sonia says. “Even if all you’ve said is true. We can’t do anything so crazed, not when the northerners could send another army down to attack us at any moment.”

“I am not talking of revolution, but perhaps support of secession for the city and people beyond the mountains to become a place of their own, safe from this city’s corruption. I do not believe that I would be right to rule over such a state, either. I merely want a home that is safe and stable. A position where I might serve a just and good king or queen, where we might all serve to create a greater community together. Where a noble does not stand above their commoners, where every privilege comes with an equal burden. As has ever been the promise of nobility and royalty.”

Therina is practically glowing from the back of the room, and today is one of the days that I can measure my own value by her approval. If she agrees with me on this, then I am sure that this is a good direction for me.

“It’s dangerous out there,” Henry says. “Monsters like you’d never know in these forests and wild people who’ve bred with the beasts. The sort who would make meals out of you or me.”

Riese keeps a calm smile, the elderly norkit woman, freed from her bondage, containing her emotions so well that it’s nearly impossible to notice her rage.

Piper doesn’t so much as bother, glaring at the soldier openly.

“I have encountered some few of them if the nobles parading them about weren’t entirely deceptive,” I say, the words soft as I try to explain what I’ve seen. “They were… not entirely inhuman. From what little I did see of them, they seemed to have intelligence that would compare to a human, but as they were ‘tamed’ they were not particularly open to conversation as most norkit are. I cannot say this with all confidence, but I would gamble on the idea that they might be treated as we would treat any human tribe that has become too distant from civilisation.”

The entire topic is one that I must reserve my judgement on until I can meet them for myself. They may indeed be mere monsters with faces reminiscent of humans, or they might be indeed superior, as the elves are. I would rather think that they are more akin to the norkit, cousins standing at rough parity with us.

“While I’m sure that they still pose significant threat, the opportunities found in those lands are incomparable to what we have here. In those lands, I might be able to protect those who serve under my name.”

“That’s…” Sonia’s face has turned pale at the prospect. “Abandoning everything we have in this city, and crossing the mountains of madness? You… I can’t take my son on that journey. I will not let him die out there.”

“I would not force you,” I shake my head. “If you wish to stay, then I will pass all my properties to you, but I will need much of the gold to allow for my own safe travels. You will need to consider how you will make a future for yourself with what is left. For now, I will need to ask each of you to consider if you wish to travel with me, I do not wish to linger here.”

“You seemed so intent on staying,” Sonia says. “You… you picked a fight with my husband just to reclaim this estate and now you’re just leaving it all?”

“I… understand that healers must at times recognise when their power is insufficient,” I whisper, leaning back, my shoulders sinking though I know that such expression is unacceptable. “They will allow a limb to die so that the patient might live. I am still beholden to my noble upbringing, everything that I have done is to act in accordance with those values, but I have discovered a rot that I cannot cure. Like that healer, I must find where my power might best serve the good of those that I am trying to protect.”

I am not entirely being honest, my madness, instilled in me through my death, has stolen my nobility away in moments of desire and selfishness. Some hunts were more leisure than necessary action. Then, there were the moments when I was lost to cruel daydreams, and thoughts of what I might inflict on my own friends.

“I’m not leaving,” Lewark shakes his head. “I’m glad to hear that you’ve finally found your own path out of this city but I’m not coming with you. I’ll deal justice to the vampires, even if it costs me my life.”

“You will die here, and you will not find that justice you seek,” I shake my head.

“I knew that long before we met,” Lewark smirks at me, his eyes cold and distant but still somehow affectionate. He’s wanted to reach out to me more times than I’ve cared to count, but he’s always held himself back from it. Perhaps this goodbye would be more difficult had he not.

Sonia needs not even say anything more in way of explanation for her own position. I will ensure that she has adequate funds to stay alive for a time, but I have little hope for any lasting future for her in this city. I will not demand her servitude in any case, she is her own person, and she will find her own path in life.

“I want my family out of this city,” The head maid says, “We’ve lost too much to it already. Can you protect them on the journey?”

“I will pay for mercenaries to defend us on the long journey,” I say. “They will be as safe as they can be, but there are still dangers on the road through the mountains.”

“We aren’t taking a ship?” She asks.

“I will consider the option, but I’m unsure that a journey by ship is any safer. Many ships are lost and even those that arrive are said to have fewer crew than they left with, if those who pursue us wish to see us suffer the same fate, I do not doubt that it would be simple for them to sink a ship at sea,” I explain. “We will prepare and plan for a land journey. Henry, I trust you to find reliable mercenaries, soldiers, or even thugs if you find them trustworthy, to escort us.”

“Yes, ma’am,” he nods his head at an angle already muttering to himself as he considers plans.

“Head maid Arneut, prepare our servants and see who wishes to join us and who would rather stay with my aunt in serving this estate. I will ensure there is funding enough to see them paid through for either choice. We will be escorting their families as well, so get an idea of how many we will be taking with us.”

“Right away, my lady,” she bows and heads off on the task.

As the others make preparations for what is to come, I find my feet drawing me back to the guest room where Belle is resting. It has been a day since I’ve brought her here and it seems as though she may awaken at any moment. While I cannot keep all of my thoughts in proper order while in her company, I do not want her to suffer any more than she must.

“Tina?” she calls for me as I enter the room, sitting up as her healer tries to force her back down.

Merry is at the side of the room, speaking with her parents. A bubbling rage is forming, though it lacks any clear direction. Their daughter has been injured and they do not have anyone still living to blame for it.

“You don’t want to speak with your parents?” I ask, settling on the side of her bed. She looks strangely at ease, even with the missing limbs yet to be fully repaired. Her smile is just as bright as it’s ever been and cuts deeper than I’d thought it would.

“I’ve been talking with them the last hour,” she rolls her eyes. “Merry could barely pull away with a promise for answers.”

“Their concern is only reasonable.”

“I’m not dead,” she replies.

“You should be,” I say. “No, worse than that, you should be like me.”

She awkwardly turns away, her smile fading away as she considers my words. I’m certain that I’ve let none of my own internal conflicts through my voice, yet still she seems to have noticed. I want her to understand me, but that want is a selfish thing that I must refuse.

I will not force my suffering on others.

“We’re going to save people,” Belle says. “I’m going to help gather and train others to fight against the vampires and anyone else who wants to harm the innocent. A new religious order. Merry wants to call us paladins, it’s something from some old myths that I never really read.”

“A religious order? For the goddess of truth?” I ask. “Is it safe to do that here?”

“It is where we are most needed,” Merry says, stepping closer as her parents follow, bowing stiffly to me. “I’ve spoken with the errant prince that was causing your trouble, he’s almost recovered, and will soon be ready to join us. There are aspects of the royal family that… well, it’s difficult to explain. I believe that we can be safe here if we act with care.”

“I do not think the same is true for me,” I say. “I will be leaving this city shortly. I need only ensure that my household can make the journey safely and I will be taking my leave.”

“Tina, I thought you wanted to fix things here?” Belle asks, sitting up even as the healer fusses over her. “If you joined us, maybe we could even find a way to cure you.”

“There is no cure for death,” I shake my head. “I am not like you, Belle. I’ve seen what you and Merry can do, but it is not my path, and it never will be.”

“You can change,” Belle reaches out for my hand, squeezing it tight. Her faith burns so much that I’m sure it’s leaving a mark. “You should come meet the noble prick from before. He’s changed so much since he’s stayed with us. He’s… if he can become a decent person, then you can change too.”

I pull my hand from her grip. There are red marks where she gripped me, scolding my flesh

“I must go and prepare,” I say, walking to the door. “I am glad that you are well, but I cannot stay here with you.”

If she finds a reply, then it comes too late. Her parents fall upon her, and her attention falls away from me as I escape into the blood-stained halls of my home.

Dark shadows linger but the moment they are realized, they are cruelly cut down by the servants trained to see and expel them. If vampires do come here, they will not have an easy time of it, but if it is Aldramodore or another of Pharisa’s power then our preparations will not be enough.

“There’s something more you need to do before you go,” Vael appears by my side, and it’s a struggle to contain my surprise.

“Yes, I need to meet with those mercenaries, they will be arriving shortly, I believe.”

“And Semi,” Vael says. “You should ask her about the city beyond the mountains, she could help you get started in your new life. Also, there is something more that she needs to tell you.”

“You’re acting like a messenger now?” I ask. She walks a little too close, rubbing shoulders with me as we head out and toward the foyer.

“I owe her a favour and this is also a favour for you,” Vael smiles warmly, hooking her arm through mine. “You should go to her as soon as you can, and get some answers from her.”

“She didn’t give me a time where I could meet with her?” I ask.

“This evening, the same place you met with her the first time,” Vael says. “I’ll even go with you.”

“It sounds as if I have little choice in the matter.”

“Then you understand,” Vael smiles warmly, whipping her tail against my leg. “It’s no fun going to those sorts of places alone, and Semi won’t mind me being with you. She knows that she can’t keep secrets from me.”

“I will not stop you,” I say. “I’m not entirely sure that I could if I wanted to.”

“Oh, you couldn’t,” Vael nods quickly, giggling as she lets her tail slip around my waist again.

The head maid appears before us with a bow.

“The guests are here, my lady.”

“I will be right there,” I reply, pulling myself from the demon’s grasp to make my way to the foyer where the mercenaries wait for me.

They are much as they were the last time I saw them. They have not dressed up for the occasion, except for the mage who has made some considerable efforts to make her armour more beautiful. Her style is shared by the young elf who stands at their centre.

Today she carries a weapon that is neither a club nor sword but some bastard child of them both, it should weigh as much as she does, if not more. The same dark swords still grace her hips, as well. Did she come here expecting a fight?

By appearances, she’s of an age with me but I don’t quite know what that means with elven kind. Her eyes meet mine, they shine somewhere between gold and amber, but the true light within is something not defined by colour but by spirit. The warmth washing from her heavy gaze is something unlike anything I’ve felt for a while, and I find my lips turning to smile without my permission.

Her dress has been replaced with armour, but it’s not entirely unsuited to her, especially with the extra work done to it to accentuate her beauty.

A warmth bubbles inside of me, a familiar traitorous wanting. I set it aside to crush it properly at a later time, instead letting my smile live on as I wave them inside.

“Good day, it is my pleasure to host you this afternoon. I’ve prepared something to protect against eavesdropping, so we might converse in confidence,” I say. “Please, come this way.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

If you enjoy this story, like it, rate it, leave a comment, and share it around!

If you really like it and want more chapters join the Patreon, I need all your support to keep this going.

 www.patreon.com/formlesschimera

18