Chapter 62 – Controlling Narrative
191 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nobles are liars.

I wish that it weren’t so, but it is something that I’ve come to accept from my explorations into the world beyond my home. Nobles do not care for the commoners that they serve, and more than that, they are dishonest with one another. They spread malicious rumours and try to do all that they can to bring harm to one another so that they might gain some advantage.

We are not united in our goals, but competing with each other, seeking to take all that we can. No longer is there time to ask why this is the case, or even consider repairing it. Instead, I must play their games to use them for my own ends. The safety of the city’s people.

“Lady Shari, I’m sure that you’re not ignorant of the disasters that have affected this city. Surely, you wouldn’t leave hundreds of thousands to starve and die in the wilds,” I say, sitting up and barely keeping my hands steady on my lap. The light of the sun burns overhead, but Therina adjusts the parasol to cover me.

“I am not ignorant,” she lifts her tea but only briefly sips at it, a sad smile on her lips as she looks down at me. “It certainly is a disaster, but it is only made worse by the panicked masses thinking to flee. It would not serve us to encourage them further. When they realize the importance of the wall’s protection, they will return.”

“After thousands are dead,” Belle is barely holding back from shouting. “You’ll just let that happen?”

“What else can we do?” the young lady replies, shaking her head. “If we were to treat them like pets, see them fed and forced back to the safety of a pen, then our peers would see weakness in us. They would exploit the opportunity to their advantage, even in my own house, my father would be glad to have the excuse to punish me.”

“They won’t return,” I say, stopping Belle before they can continue. “They’re more aware than ever of the threats within the city walls, and they’ve better chances against the monsters in the forests. They will leave, and the merchants with them.”

“I doubt it,” Shari replies. “Such an extreme response seems far too unlikely.”

“A whole district of the city was put to slaughter,” I say, meeting her eyes. “If it were just the commoners, then perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad. The nobles were treated no differently. Seeing as much, wouldn’t you be scared? That even those who stand impossibly far above you, are themselves but bugs to be crushed?”

“Most of these people do not know the world outside the protection of these walls,” Henriette says, leaning forwards. “They will return when they realize that their escape is hopeless.”

“Will they?” I ask. “The merchants are leaving. Those that return will find empty bakeries without bread. This will be a ruin, guarded by knights pulling taxes from their hands for a wall that does not protect them.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Belle says, shaking her hand and growling as she glares at the other noble women. “When an army breaks this bad… people are running because they see others running. My Dad told me stories of his time in the armies.”

“Assuming you are correct, others will come to replace them,” Shari says, her eyes steady and confident. “These walls provide the sort of safety that villagers would be glad to have, if nothing else works father would call to the caretakers of our rural lands and have some of the commoners brought from there to serve our needs.”

“What about the killings?” My aunt asks, hesitantly joining the conversation. “It’s not just the commoners. They’ve killed nobles, aren’t you scared?”

“My own family, as well,” I say, sending a cold air washing over the table. “We may visit their graves if you doubt it.”

“Christina,” Shari starts, speaking slowly and carefully. “I don’t mean you any offence, but I’m sure that you understand that there are reasons why your family were targeted. Your father was one of the key voices behind rejuvenating the war against the north. The more recent attack was against a noble house actively conspiring with criminals.

“As long as we do not act against the interests of the crown, then there is nothing we need to fear,” she says setting down her teacup. “You aren’t intending for us to make any similar missteps, are you?”

“We should do what is right,” Belle says. “I won’t let this happen just because some idiot king demands it. Do you even know what the royalty is like? Do you know what they live like, trapped in that castle?”

“Belle,” I shake my head at her.

“What are talking about?” Henriette, Shari’s close friend, asks. “You’ve seen the inside of the royal castle?”

“I’m not certain how much we are permitted to say,” I speak firmly, meeting Belle’s eyes. “We are under Aldramodore’s… we are in his care; I think you should understand to be careful. I would rather that we take care not to offend him.”

“So… he found you?” she asks, her frown becoming twisted. “Lewark replayed that conversation that he was having, and-”

“Belle, that’s not a conversation for here and now,” I firmly quiet her. “I am dealing with him. He doesn’t wish me dead, and he hasn’t stolen my mind from me. If he wants to hunt you, then there is no escape. It is why I invited you.

“We must leave the rest of this discussion aside, there are people starving and dying, and that is more important.”

Belle’s expression turns sour, but she nods to me, agreeing with my conclusion. Even for her changes, subtle for the moment, she cares for what is right.

“I never thought you were so important,” Lady Shari says, setting her cup down. “I will not demand the particulars, but might I ask about your current relationship with Aldramodore and the royal family?”

“He…” I bite my tongue but even after a pause, I can’t stop the vitriol from escaping my lips. “He murdered my family. Now, he is taking me under his wing as… I’m not quite certain. A daughter? A protégé? A servant? Something between the three?”

My aunt winces, while Shari and Henriette widen their eyes as they slowly consider my claim, unable to find a quick reply.

“I should be able to use that connection, to my advantage,” I say, staring down into my cup of tea. It tastes sour and foul as if it’s been pulled from a muddy puddle in the street. “It is how nobles are, isn’t it? We hate each other, use each other, and never truly care for anyone at all. So, I will use my family’s murderer if it is towards a good end.”

Why was I so afraid of him?

Oh, yeah. The moment he changes his mind, I lose control over every part of my life and body. He could do anything to me.

I swallow hard, sipping at the sour liquid just to distract from the pain.

It hurts to see him, to treat him as anything but a murderer, but…

The person that I wish to become is able to overcome her own conflicted emotions if it is to serve her duties. No one holds me responsible for these commoners, no one but myself.

The person that I wish to be would save them, even if it means that I must work with my enemies to see it done.

“That is not enough,” Shari says, meeting my eyes. “The reason that you have asked us here, is because that is not enough for you to get what you want. So, what is it that you want to do? I assume that you’re not simply begging for coin, not if you’ve gone so far. So, what is your plan?”

“With such a considerable loss of population, many nobles will experience a significant loss in income. Fewer people, fewer merchants; fewer taxes paid. I assume that many lesser nobles will become more extreme in their efforts to pull taxes from those who remain, pushing them until they, too, break and run.”

“Perhaps,” Shari says, nodding slowly. “I will not deny the possibility.”

“Many forward-thinking nobles should, right now, be seeking new sources of income. What if, the thousands fleeing this city were not simply refugees? What if they were instead brave settlers, pushing into the untamed forests to bring riches back to the kingdom? They would break ground in new mines, hunt valuable beasts, and perhaps most importantly, they would build a safe road to the lands beyond the eastern mountain ranges. A trade route.”

“There is already a road,” Henriette says, sipping at her tea.

“It’s a road, but it is not at all safe or reliable,” I tell her. “I doubt that the villagers keep the roads clear, the tunnels through the mountains collapse, and I’ve spoken with merchants who make the trip. The bad roads only make the monster attacks that much more difficult. A proper trade route would be worth quite some coin, wouldn’t you think?

“Properly settling these lands will bring great riches to the kingdom,” I conclude.

“Tina,” Belle barks my name. “You want to send these people into the wild? They’ll be eaten by monsters before they’ve even built a town wall.”

“That depends on how much support they are given,” I reply. “Those with the right magic and abilities could build a secure wall in a day. People can be taught what to do, and they can grow.”

“Countless people will die,” Belle replies.

“Then tell me your plan,” I say, gritting my teeth, and grinding down my fangs. A few terrible thoughts flicker through my mind as I press down the desire to hold her down and cause her pain until she properly submits to me. A pause and a deep breath help me to settle the tempting ideas, but I can’t keep my imagination from working in the back of my mind.

“I…” Belle stops, her expression turning blank as she looks back down into her cup.

“I do not mean to admonish you,” I say before she can start again. “If you can think of another plan, then I would be glad to hear it. I’ve only been considering this for a little more than a day, but it is the best that I could come up with in that time. I’ve asked you here, not only to gain your support but to hear your thoughts on what else we might do.”

She nods lamely, a fanatic light shining in her eyes as she presses her lips together. I do not know what thoughts are racing through her mind, but she’s clearly putting some more effort into considering the situation now. As long as her new god hasn’t twisted her too much, it should prove interesting.

“I believe that your plan would work to garner noble support and funding,” Shari says, nodding appreciatively. “Though, you would need to do more than simply promise returns. We are nobles and not merchants, if you could convince the king to promise these lands to the nobles who support your efforts, then it is possible.”

“I will see about it,” I say, nodding slowly. “The royals would be glad to have us gone, I think. It might be easier to convince them than you think.”

“Have you considered how you would want the land to be divided?” Shari asks. “The families with the coin you are wanting, already have rural lands to draw taxes from.”

“Then what do you suggest?” I ask.

“You must tend to it carefully,” she replies. “Too many would ignore these people that you are trying to aid, and simply relocate their own commoners to establish these lands. Which would fail to serve your intended purpose, no?”

“That is true,” I admit, slumping my shoulders down so very slightly. “I… will need to speak with Aldramodore. I will need to find some compromise with him…”

“Tina,” Belle reaches out for my hand, but her warmth isn’t as comforting as once I would have found it. Instead, it only reminds me of a hollow inside of me, something happened during that night that I can’t remember. When I try to remember it, I pull away. I feel fear and resolve blending and somehow I know that I can’t let myself remember what I’ve forgotten.

“I will be a good person,” I say, sitting up straight and facing Shari. “I would like you to support me in finding nobles that would be amenable to this deal. I do not care about title, so long as they have the coins to invest in this venture and are open to the idea of it.”

“That is simple,” Shari says, smiling deeply. “I will be at the top of the list but I can already name many who would welcome it. Children like me who have parents of high title but are unlikely to see much of an inheritance. I’m certain that I could convince my father to invest in us if we could be promised land and title.

“Do you believe that you could have the new titles and lands handed to us, rather than the dukes and counts already established here?”

“I will try,” I nod slowly.

“Then I will secure you the coins needed,” she says. “Let us change our futures, shall we?”

10