Chapter 6: I Have Done It Now
155 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My face heated up from the interaction and backed away quickly. “Yeah, I am okay.” I said shyly, casting my eyes on the ground. I really hope that I am not turning into a tomato right now.

He smiled gently. “That’s good then.” He said as he stood up again.

The Co-CEO cleared his throat awkwardly. “Yes, well… the CEO couldn’t be present today, so the one standing here right now is his right-hand man, Mark Moore.”

So he wasn’t the CEO? I exhaled, relieved. Damn, I thought he would fire me for sure… oh wait, he can still do that as the CEO’s right hand.

I wasn’t too rude to him was I!? I still have to pay the rent of this month I can’t afford to get fired! While I was being swallowed by my thoughts, Mr. Moore stood in front of the microphone, clearing his throat to catch everybody’s attention.

“Well, as you guys have heard, I am acting as a stand-in CEO as long as it’s required. I know you are all still shaken up by the unfortunate murder that took place here few days ago. We have lost three outstanding colleagues, may their soul rest in peace.” He said that with a solemn face. “However, I’ll do everything in my power to help and guide you guys so that our company won’t fall down. I also hope that you guys will help and guide me in knowing the infrastructure of the company. If you guys have any questions, then don’t be afraid to ask them.”

Finishing his speech with his business-like smile, he received a tremendous applause from everyone here. Everybody was in aw by Mr. Moore’s charisma. The words that he spew were full of dominance and leadership. I’m sure that everyone here was questioning themselves why he was not the CEO.

“Oh God, he is so hot!” I glanced behind me to see Sabrina and her clique squealing and giggling at Mr. Moore’s handsomeness. Not that I blame them, I mean, he is gorgeous, but unlike them I can’t be drooling because if I do there would be more heads rolling in the company.

“I bet I can make him fall for me in a week, just you watch.” She said with so much conviction. She noticed me staring at her and grins at me.

I just shrugged and rolled my eyes as I turned my back on her again. Annoyed at my nonchalant behavior towards her, she clicked her tongue.

I’ve got no time to cater to her taunts.

I just kept my eyes on Mr. Moore, who kept waving at us as he left the stage.

I felt a hot breath against my ear. “What was that?”

I shrieked at the unannounced presence behind me. “What the hell Cherry! You could at least make some warning sounds before approaching me like that,” I said as I was grabbing on my chest, trying to control my sped-up heartbeat.

I shifted my eyes around me hoping that nobody has heard my shrieking voice, but there was no need to be worried seeing how the majority already had left the hall.

Cherry just kept being silent, looking down at me squint-eyed.

I raised a questioning eyebrow. “What?” I asked.

“What was that?” She repeated her question, crossing her arms this time.

“What was what?” I asked, confused. Can she be any more confusing?

“What was that interaction between you and Mr. Moore?” She asked.

I was lost for words. “Uh… an interaction between employer and employee?” I said, not even sure myself.

She tutted with her fingers. “No, no, no, that’s not what it seemed like to me. It seemed like an interaction between acquaintances. How do you know him?”

What are her eyes made of? A glass ball? Can she see the future and the past? How the hell is she able to tell that from that tiny-winy interaction?

“First of all, we aren’t even acquaintances. I just met him at a convenience store. We talked a bit and went each our own way; that’s it.” I tried to play it off like it was nothing. Also, there’s a 100% chance that Jack is listening in to this conversation right now and I’m not in the condition to deal with him right now.

She looked at me suspiciously. “Really? That’s it?”

I nodded.

She clicked with her tongue. “That’s boring.”

“I am sorry that my life ain’t your typical Korean drama life.” This kid is obsessed with those dramas; she just loves the cheesy romance in those dramas. She mostly loves those dramas tropes where the non-rich girl meets rich dude.

“Yeah, you should be. It would have been so amazing if you guys were dating in secret because of the differences in your status.”

“Didn’t I tell you to stop doing drugs?” I asked, half serious.

“And didn’t I tell you to get a man?” She retorted back.

“I am not even going to reply to that.” I waved her off and walked away.

“Where are you going!? We still have to work!” She yelled from behind me.

“The place where I can flush away every annoying person!” I yelled back.

“The toilet!?” She asked.

“Bingo!”

BUZZ BUZZ BUZZZ

Washing my hands after doing my business, I could feel my phone vibrating in my back pocket.

‘Please let it not be him.’ I pleaded to myself.

Private Number: “Shouldn’t you be listening to your friend?”

I groaned miserably. It is him.

April: “What are you on about?”

Private Number: “She told you to get yourself a man.”

April: “So?”

Private Number: “Take me!”

April: “God no…” I typed with a horrified expression. “Is that all you wanted to say? I have to get to work.”

Private Number: “You’re beautiful.”

April: “Okay…?”

Private Number: “Babe, why is your answer so cold?” I cringed at the word babe.

April: “Oh sorry, let me rephrase that; gee thanks for the compliment… I wish that I could return it but then again I don’t know your face -_-.” I typed that, hoping that he would somehow give in and give another hint about himself.

Private Number: “Nice try.”

I clicked with my tongue

April: “Can you at least say if we had a full-blown conversation or if we just passed each other on the street?” It would make at least my list of potential suspects shorter.

I was walking to the door when I stopped mid-step, reading his next message.

Private number: “Baby girl next to a full-blown conversation we even had a physical moment~,”

Wait… what? Physical moment? But I am a virgin. And wouldn’t I remember something like that?

Okay, let’s calm down knowing him and his annoying sadistic nature the physical moment could mean anything.

April: “What type of physical moment?” I was too stunned to comprehend what he just said.

Private Number: “Now I wouldn’t be a good stalker if I told you, right? You can slowly break your pretty head about it; see it as a punishment for acting so cold to me. Love ya~,”

Wait what? No! he can’t leave me hanging like this!

I kept messaging him for answers, but he wouldn’t answer me at all. That prick!

Clenching my phone in frustration, I slammed the door of the lady’s room with full force. “That asshole!” I said in anger.

“Ouch!” I could hear someone groaning in pain from behind the door.

Oops… 

I took a glimpse at who the poor victim was of my anger.

The guy was stroking his forehead where slowly a bump was forming. “I may be a player, but I don’t think that I am an a-hole sugar plumps.”

Seeing who it was, I could feel my stiff posture slowly slipping away in relief.

I crossed my arms and had a smug face on. “Well, the last time that I checked sleeping with random people and dumping them afterwards is a dick move, James.”

“Just help your old pal up would you.” He stretched out his hand for me to take it I smiled and helped him up.

“I didn’t know that you already came back from you trip.” I said, watching him dusting off his knees.

“I wanted to surprise you, but in the end you surprised me with your warrior strength.” He snickered.

Trying to hide my embarrassment, I slapped him on the back.

“Ouch! Watch it, will you. This body is a desirable item.” He said, trying to show off his body through his suit.

“Oh shut it, you’re not even bulk, so I don’t even know what you are trying to show me.”

He feigned that my comment hurt him. “Excuse you! This body has slept with countless men and women; you better show some respect to it.”

I just glanced him up and down. I can’t lie. He is a typical exotic boy. Even though his body doesn’t have that much muscle, his tanned, toned body makes up for it. With his golden sandy hair and his sparkly emerald eyes he could charm any gender by just flashing a smile, but the biggest thing that make people attracted to him is his open and bright personality… and the fact that his mouth doesn’t have a filter.

But his straightforwardness is the reason we are the best of buddies now.

“I would if you could keep your boner in your pants.” I scoffed.

“Just come here and give me a hug. I know that you’ve missed this ass.” He opened his arms.

I tried to stay strong in my shoes, refusing his gesture.

“Come on~ I know you want to.” He winked.

I could feel the corners of my mouth pulling up against my will into a smile. “Alright…” I let myself being enveloped by his hug. “I’ve missed you.” I blurted out.

“I’ve missed my little dwarf too.” He said, hugging me even tighter.

A bit ticked off by what he just said about me being a dwarf. I freed myself from his hug. “I’m not a dwarf, I’m just build compactly!”

While smirking, he hunched over and stroked my head annoyingly. “Sure you are.”

I smacked his hand away playfully. “Anyway, where did you go this time?” I asked, trying to change the subject.

Startled by my question, he stuttered. “H-Hawaii! Yes Hawaii.” He laughed awkwardly, stroking the backside of his head.

I raised my eyebrows. “Okay?” I said, confused by his behavior. “Why did the company send you there?” The last time that I saw him, he said that he had to go on a business trip somewhere, but he wouldn’t tell me the details.

He quickly regained his composure and just smiled. “That’s confidential sugar plumps.”

I tried to ask him why, but he quickly silenced me with his index finger. “Trust me, some things are better left unanswered.” He stared deeply into my eyes as he said that, giving me the feeling that I shouldn’t pry any further in to this.

Silently, I nodded. He smiled and stroked my cheek. “That’s a good girl.” I didn’t know why, but the smile that he showed felt really unfamiliar… scary, almost.

“Anyway, what were you doing that got you so angry that you had to slam the door in to my face?” He asked, trying to change the subject.

I coughed. “No, just some random asshole… oh no.” I shudder slightly as the realization of the situation slowly sunk in. That random asshole was my crazy stalker; the same crazy stalker that will kill anyone that I love if something that I do riles him up in the wrong way and what more can put him over the edge than seeing me overly friendly with the opposite gender?

Worried by my sudden silence, James tried to call out to me. “Sugar plumps?” I quickly looked at him with panic in my eyes. “No!”

Startled by my yell, I could see him retracking his steps. “No, what?” He asked, confused.

“Don’t call me sugar plumps!” I yelled frantically. I immediately looked for my cellphone that I stupidly put in my handbag when I came out of the restroom.

My eyes widen, seeing the notification saying that there are like five unread messages.

“April?” James called, but I was too much in a panic to respond to him. Franticly I typed in my cellphone’s passcode, trying to read the messages quickly.

Private Number: “Why are you smiling like that at him?”

Private Number: “Why are you even talking to that slut? Only sluts talk to each other, so does that make u a slut?”

Private Number: “I swear to God, April, if you don’t stop hugging him right now, I’ll hurt him.”

Private Number: “You’ve missed him…? I’ll give you a reason to miss him forever if you don’t stop acting like a slut.”

Private Number: “That’s it! That fuck boy won’t live to see another day and that’s all thanks to you.”

“Oh God, Oh God…” I became even more frantic. Why do I keep making the same mistakes!?

“What’s wrong sugar plumps?” The worry was evident in James’s voice, but now is not the time to think of an excuse for my weird-ass behavior I got to save my friend’s life.

I grabbed him by the collar and pulled him down so that we were on the same eye-length. Curse his six feet tall body. Why does everyone around me got to be so freakishly tall!?

“Listen, from now on, don’t call me sugar plumps or even touch me until I give you the permission to.” I whisper yelled.

“Why?”

“I can’t tell you that right now; like you just said, some things are better left unanswered except your phone messages. I got to go talk to you soon!” I said rushed and ran as fast as I could to the department I should be at; leaving James, who was confused by the whole situation.

Dashing through the door like a madman, I entered the department, receiving many confused looks from colleagues, wondering what was wrong. I just sat down at my desk half sweaty and out of breath; across sitting of me was Cherry. She looked over her computer and mouthed, ‘What took you so long?’ Still trying to regain my breath, I mouthed to her that I would tell her later.

First thing first.

I took out my phone and saw that Jack had sent a new message.

Private Number: “Soon? Yeah, u will see him soon with his head served on a plate.”

I groaned silently.

April: “He’s just a friend. There’s nothing between us, so please don’t hurt him.” Why does it really feel like I was caught cheating? Why do I even have to explain anything to him!?

Private Number: “It sure as hell didn’t seem like that. You were about to fuck each other right there and then as the slut that you are.”

April: “I hope that the slut that you’re talking about is not me ‘cause I sure as hell am not.”

Private Number: “Then stop acting like one!”

April: “I am not acting like one! Also James is fucking BI!”

Private Number: “Straight enough to fuck u don’t you think!?” I can’t believe this guy… he is really going down that road.

April: “Stop being such a whiny bitch! You make little sense. I don’t need your permission to decide with whom I can be close with. It should be fine as long as I am not dating them.”

Private Number: “You know I luv it when u get angry, but don’t push me April. My hands are itching so badly to kill someone right now and u r sure ass hell not making James’ survival chances higher; don’t u think so sugar plumps?” Oh shit, he’s pissed, he’s seriously pissed.

April: “Please don’t kill him. I’m begging you. If you want me to say I love you, I will, so please don’t kill him.” I was desperate.

Private Number: “You going that far for him makes my blood boil even more.”

There’s no way to please this guy! How can I make sure that he wouldn’t kill James? There has to be a way, but I don’t know what. I stomped my feet on the ground from frustration when a sudden idea hit me; an idea which may worsen the situation or it could save James’ life.

I could feel my fingers trembling as I was typing.

April: “I will hurt myself if you hurt James.”

I have really done it now.

3