Chapter 11: Why Is It Him!?
115 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was around 9 pm. No person was to be seen in sight as I was standing in front of a tall, wide building, which was my company.

‘Was it always so big?’ I wondered as I was scanning it from top to bottom in my lazy get up. My hair was still tight up in a bun, but next to it I was also wearing a black sports legging with a baggy brown hoodie over it and some white converse; hoping that my face wasn’t noticeable. May someone spot me here.

I checked for the last time if I got everything with me. My pocket knife was with me, so was my pepper spray and let’s not forget my good old phone.

I haven’t heard from Jack at all since the conversation on how to catch the killer, which was nice for a chance, if I must say. Not having to feel or hear the buzzing sound of my phone made me quite happy. I never realized how stressful it was for me every time my phone went off.

I inhaled and exhaled a few times, preparing myself mentally.

‘C’mon April. You’re only here to get your laptop case. You’ll get it and then get your ass out of here quickly.’ Is what I was trying to tell myself.

With determination in my eyes, I took big strides into the building. I was met with a pin-drop silence as I entered the building. No soul to be seen. No cleaners or night guards, but again, after what happened today, it would make sense. I rushed to the elevator, quickly went inside and pressed the fourth-floor button. As soon as I arrived there I went inside the office and gave out a relieved exhale, seeing that my laptop suitcase was indeed there, laying on top of my desk.

I took the suitcase and clutched it against my chest. “Because of you I had to come here at night.” I scolded the inanimate object as if it could hear and understand me.

I took a quick glance around. It was dark and eerily quiet. Did I really work normally overtime until this late? I must have been really absorbed in my work, because I don’t think that I would have been able to work in this spooky looking environment. Realizing that, I decided to not work overtime anymore.

‘I will just finish the work at home from now on.’

I went back to the elevator and waited patiently for it, but on hearing the soft groans coming from behind me, I jumped in fright and trembled.

‘What the hell? It better be no ghost.’ I can’t handle paranormal activity stuff at all. I wouldn’t be able to sleep! While muttering and praying to myself, hoping that it wasn’t some ghost, I slowly turned around. A dim-lit light coming from an office spilled its glow on the walls and floors of the hallway.

‘Was that on before?’ I wondered. Slowly and carefully, I inched forward to the source of the sound. My breathing became more elaborated and my heartbeat got louder the closer I got there. I heard thudding and hitting sounds next to the painful groans as I was getting closer.

‘Was this a good idea?’ I thought to myself. Deserted by oneself in a building with zero security, carrying a pocketknife, pepper spray and a laptop suitcase as a form of meager protection, was not the ideal situation to play detective. It was clear no serious thoughts went into this plan. Nobody knows that I am here, not even Jack, seeing how he hasn’t messaged me. Like seriously, what is he even doing?

I was now standing next to the big door frame of the entry of the other office. I looked up and moved my lips to read what the nameplate said without a sound.

‘Marketing department.’ I have never really interacted with people from there seeing how I’m from the sales department.

I jolted again when I heard a loud cry, followed by something that sounded like a bone being split in two.

With balled up fist I crouched carefully, took a big breath and took a peek at the situation. My eyes broaden up in shock and horror. A man was sprawled on his back on the floor. Over that man stood a hooded person who was armed with a knife. He looked down at the sprawled overweight man with his feet pressed on the man’s throat. I could not make out who the two figures were from where I was standing.

The overweight man was twitching and gasping for air. “P-please s-spare me.” He pleaded in between breaths. The hooded man scoffed and grabbed the man’s collar, pulling him towards him until they were face to face. “Give me mine money that you ow Blur.” He said in a gruff voice.

Blur?

I gasped lightly, recognizing the overweight man. It was that Blur, Blur Soulton, the executive member of the management department. There are some nasty gossips surrounding him. Like how he sexual harass women or how he had many affairs until now. Now that I think about it, his last affair was with… Yolanda! Everything made sense! The rumor that Yolanda was known for was how she uses her body to bribe the higher ups into her biding and her latest target was Blur…

So, if Yolanda got or even stole something from Blur in process and he couldn’t accept that he may had hired a killer to get rid of her. That mother-fucking bastard!

With sweat beads trailing down from his bald head, he rubbed his hands together vertically, pleading for his life. “Yes, yes. I will pay soon. I-I promise.” He said with a trembling smile. “After I find out where that bitch of a Yolanda has put the money that she had stolen for me, I’ll pay you in full with bonus on top of it.”

And that confirms it. This pig really killed her and because of money, no less! That immediately made me wonder how many times he had done this before… killing people.

The hired killer laughed mechanically. No trace of emotions to be found. He placed the sharp side of the knife against Blur’s throat. “I guess you don’t understand how I work. I. Don’t. Do. Waiting.” Without waiting for Blur’s responds he sliced his throat cleanly with the cold steel weapon.

Blood spurted everywhere like a fountain until there was nothing left to spurt. Blur clasped his throat, gasping for air, until the life in his eyes faded away.

Sick to my stomach, I tried to keep the bail that was creeping up my throat down. I trembled uncontrollably, trying to find my phone while trying to stay calm.

‘I-I have to call the police.’

“Aauughh!” I jolted in surprise when I heard the killer groan, frustrated. “His dirty blood is all over me and this was even my favorite outfit!” He said, pulling his hoodie down revealing his head.

My pupils became dilated from shock, my body turned ice cold and my mouth went dry. The familiar sandy blond hair that was now slightly died in blood and emerald green eyes, which now only had a dull light in them.

I muffled my mouth with my hands, silencing the gasp that escaped my mouth. My eyes quivered as I slide down against the wall into a sitting position.

No, it can’t be… why? Why are you here?

James?

Lost for words that my best friend from work was the killer, I could only blankly stare in front. My emotions were in disarray. Tears were about to leak from my eyes, but I held them in.

No, I can’t cry now. I must get out of here first and then contact the police. At least that was supposed to happen before the buzzing sound of my phone went off. I jolted in surprise and searched for my phone in panic.

‘Shit, shit, shit, shit! Not now, please!’

I took out my phone and quickly put it in silence. The cause of the buzzing sound was Jack. Of all times that you decide to message me, why does it got to be now!?

Private Number: “Honey, I’m back~. Also, why the fuck are you at work now?”

“Yeah, why the fuck are you here, sugar plumps?”

I froze. Slowly, I turned my head around to see James leaning against the door frame, twirling the knife between his fingers. He had an unfazed expression on his face, as if me catching him in action didn’t bother him at all.

Is this the real him?

“Why are you here?” He asked again.

Like a deer caught in a headlight, I just stared at him. It felt like my heart could jump out of my chest at any moment now. I could only gulp in response.

He sighed and crouched down. “Sugar plumps. I need you to answer me now. Why are you here?”

Finally, I could move my mouth and showed him the case in my hand. “I-I came here to get my laptop suitcase.” 

“Wow~ You are sure a hard worker.” He said, sounding amazed. “The company must be dying to keep you here.”

I just stared at him. What did he mean by that?

He grins and slapped my shoulders playfully. “I’m joking! I’m joking! It’s a typical killer joke. Live a little.”

I laughed awkwardly. ‘Maybe he won’t kill me?’ I thought. But I immediately threw those thoughts out of the window when I suddenly felt the sharp steel knife against my throat as he pulled me back by my hair.

“J-James?” I squeaked out. His face was devoid of any emotions.

“Now I am going to ask you some questions…” He said lowly as he pulled on my hair tighter, causing me to grunt in pain. “and I want an honest answer from you. If I even think that you’re lying, you’ll end up just like that pig over there.” He pointed at the now dead Blur. “Am I making myself clear?” He asked.

I nodded. “Yes.” I whimpered, tears pricking behind my eyes.

“Are you alone?” He asked.

“Yes, no one knows that I’m here.” I said.

He nodded.

“How much have you seen?”

“Everything.” I responded.

“Have you notified the police?” He asked.

I shook my head. “No, I haven’t.”

The knife moved an inch away from my throat. “Good.” He said.

“And my last question. Who is Private Number? Is he a new flame with a weird kink or something?” He asked. “And here I thought we told each other everything. I’m hurt.” He said, feigning a hurt expression.

I had to swallow down a lump. I can’t lie. He will know if I lie.

I clutched on to my phone tighter. Jack must have heard the conversation, right? He must be on his way then… I hope. Otherwise, this may be my last day.

“H-he..” I stuttered. “Is my stalker.”

There was a momentary pause. James stared at me blankly. “You’re serious?” He asked.

I nodded. “Yes.”

James laughed loudly, clutching his stomach almost rolling on the ground; as he did that, I slowly went with my hand into the pocket of my hoodie, grabbing the pepper spray.

After he was done with laughing, he had to wipe away a tear. “There’s never a dull day with you, sugar plumps. It’s a pity that I’ll have to kill you.”

“I wouldn’t tell anyone, James, I promise. Please don’t do this. I thought we were friends.” I said as tears trickled down my face. As James really was going to kill me.

“Sugar plumps…” He said. “Don’t you know killers are outstanding actors?” He said lastly before taking out his knife again; ready to stab me. Swiftly, I took out the pepper spray and sprayed it in his eyes before the knife could connect with me.

“What the fuck…!?” He rubbed his eyes and grunted, as he could feel the pain kicking in.

Not waiting for a second, I took this chance to stand up and run for the elevator; leaving my laptop case behind. I could hear him calling for me, but I didn’t look back at all.

I pressed at the elevator button frantically while glancing back every few seconds. “Come on, come on! How are you still not here!? There’s no one else in the building!” I said, agitated.

“That was not so nice of you, sugar plumps.” I looked back to see James already recovered from my attack, taking big strides towards me. Panic coursed through me.

“Shit, shit, shit, shit!” I said. I swiftly looked around and saw the door to the emergency staircase. Hearing his footsteps approaching closer to me, I didn’t wait for another second to burst through the door running down the stairs.

With my heart hammering against my chest and my panting getting heavier and heavier as I kept running without a pause, I was able to get down three staircases; giving me somewhat of a head start. Suddenly I miss-stepped a stair tread causing me to trip, landing face first on the cold hard floor with my phone falling out of my pocket.

“Ouch.” I groaned, rubbing my nose. I tried to push myself off the floor when I suddenly felt a sharp pain coursing through my ankle, earning another painful yelp from me.

“No, no, no. no…” I mumbled, grabbing my right ankle.

‘Did I really just twist my ankle!?’

I was in full despair right now. I’m going to die… I’m really going to die. This happens in almost every horror movie. Girl twists her ankle causing her to be murdered at the end.

I gave out a weak laugh. Well, at least I’m going to be in the newspaper; together with Blur at that. I wonder what they will write about? That I killed him after having an affair with him? Or that we somehow committed double suicide? I basically gave up at this point.

From the corner of my eyes I saw my phone screen lit up. I grabbed it with trembling hands and swiped it open.

Private Number: “I’m almost there, baby.”

Private Number: “Damn it April, what was that sound!?”

Private Number: “Please answer me baby.”

The first message was sent ten minutes ago. ‘There’s no way that he will get here in time.’ I thought dejected.

A whistle from above made me snap my head up, hiding my phone swiftly behind my back. James was leaning against the handrail with a grin plastered on his face. “Already tired? I even gave you a head start!” He whined. “Oh, well.” He shrugs and the next thing he did was jumping over the handrail, causing him to skip two staircases as he was landing perfectly on the current staircase that I was at. My face went ghastly pale.

‘Is he a monster?’

I could only tremble as he was striding towards me. “What?” He asked, tilting his head sideways. “No pepper spray this time?”

My lips were quivering. “I-I…” I slightly pressed on the call button.

James just disappointingly shook his head and pulled out his knife. “I really wish that this could have gone differently, sugar plumps.” He said, but he sure as hell didn’t sound apologetic at all. He took a big swing.

Finally, my call went through. “Baby?” I could hear from the other line.

I screwed my eyes shut. “Come and help me already, you asshole!” I yelled, brazing myself for the impact.

But no matter how long I waited, the impact didn’t come. Still scared, I slowly squinted my eyes open.

I looked as I saw James’ eyes rolling back into his head as he fainted, disappearing from my sight. Behind him, I saw Jack standing in his stalker get up with a crowbar in his hand. 

4