Chapter 57: She?
61 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Snake? Is he talking about Mark’s secretary? I side glanced at Mark. So that’s what he meant with ‘if only you knew how close by he was.’ But is he really going to sell his own secretary out to the enemy? Sure, Snake hasn’t been my favorite person after that one time in Mark’s office, but I wouldn’t even wish that upon my worst enemy to be sought after by Casper.

“Oh, it may be wise to tell your pet to leave the room, so that we can talk in-depth about our contract.” He said that as he looked in my direction through the corner of his eyes, sending me a crooked smile. I flinched. He can see me? Wait, that’s not the point. Did he really just call me a pet? I frowned displeased at Casper, muttering under my breath, “I am not a fucking pet.” Especially not Mark’s pet.

Mark stared silently at Casper, not throwing out any comment. Casper chuckles, “Come on,” he dragged out his voice playfully. “Did you really think that I wouldn’t know that she’s with you?” He waved his hand dismissively and scoffed. “It surprises me you haven’t locked her somewhere far away yet.”

The corners of Mark’s lips pulled into a slow grin. “You can’t lock cats away. If you do that too often, they will run away and never come back just like what happened with your pet.” There was an underlying message in what he just said and it wasn’t happily received by Casper, who had put on a grimace, clicking his tongue, annoyed, “I can still change my mind you know.”

My eyes went back and forth between them, feeling nervous at the prospect of a new dispute brewing. Not taking his eyes off Casper, Mark said with a benign smile plastered on his face, his words aimed at me, “How about you freshen up a little and maybe prepare us some tea while I’ll be finishing things up here. Alright kitten?”

I didn’t twitch a finger, feeling apprehensive about leaving these two by themselves. Why couldn’t I stay? What were they going to discuss where I cannot be present? A portentous feeling brewed in the depths of my stomach. I guess the uneasiness was being reflected on to my face as Mark, who didn’t hear me respond, broke off his stare contest with Casper to see what was wrong- his eyes now focused solely on me. The corner of his eyes crinkled into crow’s feet, reading my distressed feelings that were on full display. He smiled assured, bringing his hand up to stroke my cheek. “It will be fine. It won’t take long, okay?”

I drew my bottom lip between my teeth and nodded gingerly, the bad feeling in my stomach not ebbing away. “Fine.” I grumbled under my breath, but then threw a sharp glare at Casper, who watched us in revulsion. “But tell your friend who resembles a fricking snowflake that I am not a pet.” I humphed as I twirled away from them, swinging my legs over the edge of the bed, standing up and waltzing to the door. I was about to open the door until I heard soft chuckles behind me.

With my hand still resting on the door handle, I looked over my shoulder at Mark, who had some difficulty holding his breath in. “She didn’t just calm me a damn snowflake, did she now?” Casper's voice, that was freighted with utter shock, sounded through the phone.

Mark cleared his throat as he caught me staring at him, one of my brows raised up in confusion. “Is there something funny?” I asked.

Mark shook his head with a wide grin. “No, but you are kind of my pet, right kitten?”

I narrowed my eyes at him and flipped him off with my middle finger before exiting the room. Waltzing down the hallway on my way to the bathroom, I grumbled under my breath, “Annoying bastard.”

Sitting at the round kitchen table with the filled pink white-dotted tea mug sandwiched between my hands I brought it to my lips and took a sip from it before placing it back on the table with a soft thud, letting a soft sigh escape my smiling lips as I felt tranquil wash over me from the warmth that was seeping from the mug to my palms.

Bringing the mug back to my lips to take another sip from it I slowly shifted my eyes to the black mug that was placed across of me on the table, the still hot fumes coming out of it as Mark still haven’t come out of the room yet.

With the rim of the mug against my lips, I tilted it slightly up so that the warm liquid would pour inside my mouth as I threw a side glance at the hallway, wondering what was taking Mark so long. It has been over an hour now. What could they possibly be discussing that takes this long? Well, I guess I should at least be relieved to know that I won’t be forcibly pushed into another survival game anymore. But I can’t shake this bad feeling that I am overlooking something. What could that be?

Humming in thought, I closed my eyes, bringing my brows together as I pondered profoundly while drinking my mint tea. A few minutes later, I started to fidget in my seat impatiently; my eyes going back and forth between the clock that was hanging on the wall and the hallway. Not being able to wait anymore, I placed the mug down and leaped off the chair. My bare feet padding on the floor on their way to my room where Mark has holed himself in.

Letting the curiosity take the reign over my body, I placed the palm of my hands on the cool surface of the wooden door before turning my head sideways to also place my ear against it.

I wanted to know the words that were exchanged behind this door, but the only thing that my ears could perceive were soft mummers. Damn, I can’t hear anything. Pursing my lips, I pressed myself harder against the door, thinking that it would increase my hearing, but as I did that, I saw the door handle being pushed down and before I could react; the door was swung open. I hopped forward with flailing arms trying to regain my balance but gravity was a powerful enemy and I floundered myself in to Mark’s embrace; my face mushed against his clothed torso.

Startlement made its way onto Mark’s face, but a pleased grin soon exchanged it. “Will you always fall in to my arms whenever I open the door?”

“No.” My voice sounded muffled, as my face was still planted against his chest. I pushed myself slightly away and craned my head up so that I could look at his face, that was now cleaned up together with his hair that was neatly combed back. When did he had the time to prepare himself? “I just came to see where you were. Your tea was getting cold.”

“Then why didn’t you just enter the room instead of snooping around in front of it? I was getting slightly nervous about your pitter-patter sound.” He chuckled as he patted my head.

“I didn’t want to disturb you.” I lied and poked my head from behind him to take a look around the room. It doesn’t seem like he did something in my room. I shifted my eyes back to Mark, who was staring at me with an affectionate smile, as if he was looking at a curious animal. “How did the call go with Casper?” I asked.

Mark's grin widens. “Great! You’re looking at the new hired hitman of Casper. He will never try to harm you again.”

I quirked my brow. “How do you know that for sure? Sorry but also not sorry to say this, but he’s the definition of what people would call a ‘villain’. Since when does the villain ever keep his word?”

Mark scoffed dismissively. “Trust me, he is the type of villain that keeps his words. Besides, he is a power-money-hungry sociopath. He knows that I can make him more rich than any other person so he will choose this contract above a silly revenge plan.”

That still didn’t settle down my nerves, but he knows Casper better than anyone else, so I guess I should trust him on this one. I gave him a weary look. “But I can still not believe that you sold Snake out just like that.”

“Oh, right!” Mark said quickly, realization hitting him. He unfolded his arms around me and took out his phone, dialing a number into it before placing it against his ear. When the clicking sound of someone picking up could be heard, Mark’s voice took a sudden turn; sounding serious, leaving no room for discussions. “He knows where you at. You know where all the fabricated passports are, right?” Mark became silent, listening to what the other person had to say. “Good, also can you bring me a car and give me the keys before you leave? I need them.” I could only hear indescribable words but was still able to decipher the enunciated string of profanities that were barked out at Mark in infuriation.

In response to their bristling anger, Mark smiled, answering to them with a jovial voice, “Great! Thanks! See you in twenty minutes.” And then hangs up on them, cutting off their roaring anger.

Exhaling, he looked at me; his lips pulled in to a smile. “Shall we drink some tea? Shall I also make some toast to go with it?” he queried as he placed his hand around my waist, propelling me further down the hallway.

“Who was that?” I asked, ignoring the rumbling sounds that my stomach produced in response to Mark’s offer to make some toast, causing Mark to chuckle lightly before he spoke.

“Snake, she’s going to bid us farewell before she goes on the run.”

My eyes fluttered open and close profusely as confusion settled on to my face. “What?” She? Doesn’t he mean he? Did I mishear it?

Few minutes later we were both sitting together at the round kitchen table. Mark was sipping his tea quietly, reading something on his laptop while I was nibbling on my French toast Mark had prepared for me.

Suddenly, rapid banging noise on the door could be heard, startling me and almost making me choke on the crusty bread. Mark sighed, placing his tea down before going to the door and opening it, revealing a fuming Snake. With no warning, Snake grabs Mark by his collar, flexing his fingers in to the soft fabric. You could hear his knuckles cracking as he brought Mark slightly down closer to his face, baring his teeth. “You bastard, you sold me out, didn’t you?” His seething eyes glared at Mark’s stoic expression.

The corner of Mark’s lips tugged into a lopsided smile. “I would never. Why would I ever sell out my favorite secretary?” He cocked his head, blinking innocently at Snake with an obtuse expression, acting totally oblivious.

Snake grimaced in disdain, not believing one bit of the bullshit that was coming out of Mark’s mouth, and released his collar with a heavy sigh. He raked his fingers through his locks, frustrated. “Whatever, I know you wouldn’t sell me out for no reason, otherwise I wouldn’t have been working all these years for you. You most likely did it because miss Westwood was involved.” The anger in his voice had slightly lost its edge as he understood that talking with Mark was a lost cause.

I had already risen up from my seat and made my way to them, releasing a wobbly smile when my eyes met Snake’s bronze ones. He shook his head and muttered under his breath, “I still don’t understand what you see in this plain woman.”

“Sorry.” Mark ushered monotony, no ounce of guilt detected in his voice, causing Snake to scoff. He brought out a jungle of keys out of his pocket and tossed them at Mark. Mark caught it with ease and opened his hand to glance down at the bush of keys.

“There. I’ve returned all your keys, including your car keys.” Snake said, nodding at it.

Mark gave a curt nod of appreciation before placing the keys in one of his back pockets. “Thanks, have you already decided which identity to take next?”

Snake’s lips twitched into a sly grin. “I kinda liked the name Elisabeth. It has been a long time since I have been a girl. Being a guy is too tiresome, and it’s difficult to breathe with these bandages around my chest.” He placed his hand on his chest and let out an elaborated breath.

“What?” I interjected myself into the conversation, staring at the two men in front of me in shock.

They both looked at me. “You didn’t tell her?” Snake asked Mark while he pointed his index finger at me as he chuckled slightly in disbelieve.

Mark stroked his chin thoughtfully, humming, “It must have slipped my mind to mention that insignificant detail. Well, it’s easier to just show her than tell her, right?”

Everything that happened next played out in slow-motion. Snake’s hand went to his neck, his nails scratching slightly at it, damaging the surface of the skin, creating ragged edges in the process. He strums slightly at the loose skin before jerking at it- sounding like a tape being peeled off, pulling it over his head.

I took a step or two back, my eyes widening in unadulterated shock. It felt like my eyes were trying to jump out of their sockets as they watched how the mask got removed from Snake’s head, revealing an unfamiliar, unblemished face, resembling that one of a model. Hair dyed in dirty-blond cascading softly in waves down to her neck, a bob haircut framing her petite face. Rosy colored plump lips twisted into a smirk matching the mischievousness that glistened in those brown eyes where a ring of gold flecks could be found, resembling the burning sun.

My mouth was agape, and I lost the skill to verbalize my thoughts out. I momentarily lost my balance, but Mark was quick to stand behind me, supporting my back with his hand.

The woman caressed her face as she exhaled, relieved. “Whew! It has been a while since I had exposed this face to the world.”

I raised my trembling finger, pointing at the person who was supposed to be Snake. My voice was shaking in disbelieve as I stuttered, “You’re, you’re a-a woman?”

She winked at me with a smile that enjoyed every fraction of my reaction. “I look good right April?” Like a discarded cloak, the politeness that Snake would normally use for me together with his go-to vacant face expression was gone. Instead, the face in front of me was brimming with cheerfulness. Even her personality had changed. “I would love to stay, but there’s a flight that I have to take so I’ll leave the explanation up to Mark, bye, bye, may we never meet again!” She sang as she sashayed out of the door.

“Maybe it’s time for you to stop running away from him!” Mark yelled after her.

“Not until that white bunny chokes on his own blood!” She hollered.

Mark chuckled lightly, saying something intangible under his breath. Holding me in his arms with my back slumped against his chest; my mouth refusing to close the gap between my parted lips as my brain still had to process whatever just had happened.

“Well, shall we go back and finish our breakfast?” Mark proposed, closing the door to then drag me back to the kitchen, my heels gliding over the floor as I kept muttering under my breath absentmindedly.

“He was a she?”

1