01: A Sweet Joke
142 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   “What.” You’ve just woken up and you’re incredibly confused.

Scratch that, confused and your butt’s in pain. For some reason, you’re sprawled out in the open - sitting on a brick road. Behind you is a large golden gate with a huge stone wall that covers more than you can see. You try to find answers by glancing around but are left with more questions than before.

        ”Where the heck am I?” You stand up, dusting your head off. A thump falls to the floor and you peer down in curiosity. Was that a...cookie? You quickly reach down and munch on it. The sweet taste of chocolate spreads across your tastebuds. Mmmm...the three second rule never failed you before!

But as you scanned your surroundings, a ton of questions suddenly pop up in your mind.

Why were there giant, colorful lollipops and gumdrops scattered across the fields? Why was there such a sweet aroma in the air? It reminded you of the smell of smarties, way too sweet for your liking.

 Were you dreaming right now? Maybe you rolled off the bed again and boinked your head on your dresser, causing your brain to make some weird-ass dream in response?

But why the heck was this place so bright and pastel-themed? You were starting to get a headache from how sparkly it was.

Seriously, this place looked straight out of a PBS Kids show. Granted, not one you would’ve ever watched since you were busy with Arthur, Word girl, and other elite childhood shows. It also reminded you of the board game Candy Land, and honestly this place looked straight out of the pictures from the game.

You decide to be cliche and pinch yourself

Ow.

Okayy, well that was not a good sign! Maybe this dream was just hyper-realistic or you somehow pinched yourself IRL, while sleeping. It wouldn't be the first time that happened. 

Yeah, you were gonna live in denial. So what? It worked for Mabel from Gravity Falls for a little bit.

There were bunch of equally bright and pastel-colored houses up ahead, but your eyes thankfully adjusted by now. Deciding to explore the strange, strange world this dream put you in, you skedaddle over there to get at least one answer to your questions.


        "Uh, hello-!" You call out to one of the villagers, an old lady with small eyes and wrinkles. Most of her extremely glossy(?) hair is neatly tucked in a cloth wrapped around her head and she's holding a cane while being hunched over. She also has skin that reflects sunlight a little too well. Your typical old lady character. Minus her glossy physical characteristics. 

        The old lady looks you up and down in confusion before moving on without a word.

        "Wait-! Do you know what this place is? I'm very confused and lost!" She walks past you without responding. Well, okay. You would just ask someone who wasn't a hag.

        "Excuse me!" You call out again, this time to a patrolling man wearing armor and holding a spear. Perhaps a guard for this village?

He had glistening white hair that was (once again) very shiny and skin that looked like porcelain. You didn't know what this village used for skin and hair care, but you wanted in. Thankfully this time, he actually stopped and looked directly at you. "Could you please tell me where I am? I'm, uh, a traveler?" You ask with hesitation. I mean there was a chance you were actually a traveler in this dream, place, board game, whatever. So technically you might've not been lying. 

        His ruby eyes look you up and down. Confusion plastered across his face, but he opens his mouth. 

        "Who are you? How did you get past the gate?" 

 You blinked. Oh, that ginormous gate made out of gold earlier? You weren't so sure yourself. 

        "I don't know, actually. I think I might be suffering from amnesia. When I opened my eyes, I was already inside..." You tried to act as docile as possible, lacing your tone with confusion - which wasn't hard since you were genuinely confused.

        His frown became deeper, on the very verge of being a glare. He suddenly reached out for your arm, a wave of peppermint hitting your nostrils.

        "You're going to have to come with me, ma'am. It's highly suspicious that you claim you woke up here suddenly." Rats. The shiny-haired man drags you along, the villagers clearing the way for him. Well, what now? You just hoped he wouldn't throw you in a prison cell or anything.


        You got thrown into a prison located underground, far from the sunlight. Looks like you really jinxed yourself...

 Pushed inside, the mint-scented man eyed you coldly.     

  "Stay here in the meanwhile. The mayor will be here shortly. He'll examine whether you're lying or not." His low, cool voice informed you. You could only nod, not wanting to piss off the man who had a spear.

  "Um, alright...? Could you at least tell me where I am though?" 

But mayor? Who exactly?

You hoped this mayor guy was a little nicer than the red-eyed man, and that you would get answers soon.

Placing your back against the cold wall of the prison cell, you decided to get a bit of sleep again. It's was really your only option, that or making acquaintances with the rat scurrying across the floor. You cringed in disgust. Gross. You never were a rodent family stan so hopefully Mickey Mouse wouldn't get the jump on you in your sleep...


        "Wake up." The scent of peppermint and the cold, demanding voice snapped your eyes open.

        "Nngh-what??" You felt something wet on your chin, quickly wiping the drool off and blinking rapidly. How long were you asleep for? Judging from the dark sky outside, you were napping for a few hours. "..What's happening?" 

        "The mayor has arrived." Huh? The white-haired male stepped aside, bowing his head in respect as a new figure emerged from outside your cell. Your eyes widened as you took in his appearance.

Toffee-colored hair with golden streaks in them, tuscany yellow tinted eyes, and peanut-colored skin, the mayor walked in with an aura of confidence around him and the scent of caramel. Ooh, yum. You already were liking this guy better than Mr. Cool Mint over there. Along with his attractive and tasty(???) appearance, he wore a black cape held together by a golden chain and a chocolate-colored suit accessorized with a black plaided tie.

        "Good evening - or should I say good night." His voice sounded like the personification of honey. "I apologize for getting to you so late, I've been bombarded with work the last few days." The mayor chuckled, raising a gloved hand to his mouth - the corners of his eyes wrinkling as he laughed. He for sure had a duchenne smile. 

        The mayor crouched down to your level, placing an arm over his knee. "Now, who might you be, Miss?" 

        "I'm [Name]..." You immediately answered, eyes widening. God, it's like his voice casted some kind of spell on you. He smiled and his golden eyes curled upwards again. 

        "Nice to meet you, [Name]. I'm Twix, but formally known as Mayor Twix around this town." He chuckled again. 

Wait...Twix? 

        "Twix? As in the candy bar?" You asked. The caramel-scented man blinked. 

        "Pardon?"

        "Y'know...the chocolate bar that has cookie and caramel in it? The superior candy bar btw, it's so good. Way better than any Kit-Kat or Crunch." You tried your best to explain but Twix's confusion didn't seem to go away.

        "...I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about, Miss [Name]. My apologies." He lowered his head - like a puppy that just got scolded. A surge of guilt immediately came to you.

        "O-oh! It's no worries. . .I guess not everyone has tried a Twix bar before." You replied before quickly realizing you needed answers. "But anyways, Mayor Twix - could you answer a question for me?"

        "Hm?" 

        "Where...exactly is this place?" You asked, trying to ignore the hawk-like stare of the minty-guy. 

        "You got past the gate without proper permission, yet you don't know how you got here?" Mayor Twix responded, resting his chin on his hand. 

        "Um...yes?" 

He took a deep breath in, immediately exhaling and nodding slowly. 

        "Interesting. You definitely don't have the smell of a liar, Miss [Name]."

You were about to ask him what a liar even smelled like when he opened his mouth again.

        "Sir Min, the cool guy standing over there, did say you mentioned having amnesia." He stood up. You blinked. Min? Like Mint? People with the names of candy in a world that looks straight out of Candy Land...this couldn't be a mere coincidence, right? "Well, that's that then. Here, Miss [Name]." Twix held out his gloved hand and you took it. He pulled you up, giving you a gentle smile. 

        "I sincerely apologize for forcing you in here for a few hours. I know it must've not been very pleasant. We’ve had to be extra cautious since. . .well, never mind. This topic, along with your memory-problems, would make you even more confused. But now that you've passed my test, we can finally treat you as a guest." Twix's hand was still gently holding onto yours and he walked you out of the cell, Min closing it behind you. "Let me take you to my residence first and I'll treat you to dinner as an apology. What do you say~?"

        You thought for a second, your stomach grumbling in response - telling you to hurry up. That's right, your only meal so far was that cookie that fell out of your hair. Where did it even come from?

        But you placed that thought to the back and smiled at Twix.

        "Alright." Who could say no to free food? 


You were expecting a feast: turkey, chicken, pizza, burgers?? But imagine your surprise when the only things plastered on the long as heck table was candy and chocolate.

        "What is this...?" You glance at Mayor Twix, who's already helping himself to plate of thin mints. They have girl scout cookies in this world? 

        He smiles at your question. "Oh, please don't be too surprised! It's a lot of food but I made sure to go all out for you, Miss [Name]." He happily takes a bite out of a thin mint. Min, who's standing to the side, stares at him. 

        "Um...when you said dinner, I was thinking actual food? Not just candy?" You plop a piece of toffee in your mouth. Mmm...it melted on your tongue but your stomach wouldn't be satisfied with just sweets.

        "What do you mean?" Min asks, his stare now on you. You frown. 

        "I don't think I can fill my stomach with only junk food...plus I'll probably get diabetes type 1 right after." Did you seriously have to explain why dinner shouldn't consist of just candy?

Mayor Twix glanced at you as if he was observing a wild animal. 

        ". . .Miss [Name], I believe you said you were a traveler? Do dinners not consist of solely sweets where you come from?" 

        "Actually, they don't. Of course we don't have a whole table full of dishes everyday, but food is usually includes meat, vegetables, rice...y'know, things to give you proteins and energy?" 

        "Sugar does give you energy though? But meat? Vegetables? I'm...a bit puzzled right now." He took another bite of the thin mint. 

        "Yeah, in the form of a sugar-rush. Doesn't it immediately die down afterwards?" You question. "Btw, Mayor Twink--I mean Twix--" Min raised an eye brow like that one The Rock meme. "Do you have a farm in this town you could lead me to? I could pick my own vegetables and cook for myself!" 

        "Oh, farm you say? Why of course I could do that! I have one in my very own backyard~" Twix eyes the fifty sparkling plates of candy. "...Are you sure you wouldn't like to help yourself to more of this beforehand?" He gestures to the table. You shake your head.

        "I'm good. I already had a cookie earlier." 


And so, Mayor Twix leads you to the back of his mansion, where he supposedly grows all sorts of things. Min follows behind you two in a silent manner while sucking on a grape-flavored Dum-Dum. Ugh, talk about bad taste. Everyone knows grape-flavored things always taste like medicine. 

        "We're here~" Twix says, gesturing dramatically. You, on the other hand, want to cry out in frustration upon looking at the farm.

       "Mayor Twix...I was kinda talking about a veggie farm?" Your eyes become half-lidded and you stare in a deadpan manner at him. He looks at you in surprise and tilts his head. 

        "Huh? Veggies?" Twix throws his head back and laughs. "Miss [Name], I'm afraid we don't have that here in Candy Land."

        "Hold on - Candy what know?" Your mouth becomes agape. No way. Was that the name of the dream place you were in right now? (Yes, you were still denying reality). Couldn't this dream be a little more creative? You were sure even a toddler could do better. Maybe something like Sugar Rush Dingle Pop Land or A Diabetic's Worst Nightmare

But this world was starting to make more sense. The random gumdrops, candy canes, and other large-ified versions of candies and chocolates around this land really confused you. Now you were slowly starting to accept it. Also Twix and Min's names that bare a weird resemblance to sweets got you thinking: so they're named after candies? 

Min looks at you in confusion, crossing his arms as he leans against the wall in a cool manner. 

        "...You didn't see the sign outside of the gate? It says 'Welcome to Candy Land! (All visits must be approved first)'. Were you lying when you said you were a traveler, Miss [Name]?"

        "Sir Min...I woke up inside of 'Candy Land' without any of my memories of how I got there." You sigh. "Listen, all I want to do is restore my memories and find a way home. So please tell me everything you know about Candy Land and what the hell this place even is."

        Min and Mayor Twix glance at each other and seemingly communicate with their eyes. After a long five seconds, Mayor Twix takes in a deep breath and opens his mouth. 

        "Miss [Name]....you're not a candy person - are you?" 

        "I actually have a bit of a sweet tooth." He chuckles lightly at your words.

        "No, I mean, you're not made out of candy - right Miss [Name]?" You frown in confusion.

        "Excuse me...? Of course I'm not made out of candy..." Raising an eyebrow, your eyes demand elaboration.

Instead, Mayor Twix just smiles and suddenly takes off his left glove, revealing his very smooth, porcelain-like hand. It still looked like any normal hand but just...significantly prettier, almost too pretty.

 He suddenly holds his left hand out to you. Your eyes dart from side to side in confusion, then back at him. 

        "Um, okay..." You lock your right hand with him, eyes widening in the process. "Wait what-"

Why. . .why does his hand feel so hard?? This doesn't feel soft like human skin should be! Instead it felt like you were touching a solid surface. You quickly knock on his palm. 

Knock 

Knock

        "Mayor Twix. . .why does your hand sound like a glass table?" You stare at his palm with wide eyes. He sheepishly smiles at you while Min, who's standing in the back, had his eyes on you this whole time. Mayor Twix flips your hand over and knocks on your palm. Compared to the sound his palm made, yours barely had one at all.

        "On the other hand, yours...has an incredibly faint sound." He suddenly touches your hand with both of his, flustering you. 

        "What the-" You try to retract your hand out of reflex but Mayor Twix holds on firm.

        "So soft...." His golden eyes stare into yours. "...So this is what it feels like." The mayor's hand departs from you and for a second, you feel a twinge of disappointment. But then you realize that this man was being a little bit of a creep-o. 

        "Okay um, can you please explain to me what is going on?" You quickly step back, eyes darting up and down in confusion. "What the hell was all that?"

Sir Min suddenly moves towards you, only stopping until he's a mere two feet away. His hand hovering over his sword.

        "I knew it." He starts, eyes narrowing and a crease forming between his eyebrows. "You're human, aren't you?"

3