Chapter 65
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The portal they take doesn’t exit them out at the cabin. Instead, the destination is set as the lake where Zye’s done most of his training thus far. From the afternoon to the beginning of the light fading away, they trained together.

While Jace doesn’t show a hint of fatigue. Zye is rather worn out. He can tell that his magic is spent. If he tries to summon it, the feeling sputters out before he can notice the tingle along his fingertips. He knows it’s no different than a muscle he has to stretch and be careful not to overexert.

A good reason why they’re lying on the grass staring up at the sunset. The expanse of the sky is colored in oranges, pinks, and lavenders. Dark blues and purples are beginning to seep in, a sign that it won’t be long before it’s dark.

The feeling of fingers brushing his arm catches his attention first. Zye smiles as they travel down to his hand. Lacing their fingers together, Jace allows their hands to rest on the grass between them.

Zye lulls his head to the side and smirks at him. “You’re worrying yourself to death aren’t you?”

A nervous laugh is an indication that Zye is right. “More than you know. I can be confident and still concerned.”

“Then let’s not worry about that tonight. What about what happens after? I get a room, right?”

Jace smiles at the squeeze Zye’s fingers give his own. It’s the little things that add up. He appreciates the change in topic as well as the distraction.

“You do. When they made me a Keeper I touched the mirror and the room crafted itself. From there you can add or remove things as you wish?”

“By using this mirror?”

“Once you have it set up you can simply touch your door while outside of it. Your Mark can do it while you’re gone as well.”

Zye scoots a little closer until their arms are touching. “Does it take long?”

“Not particularly.”

“But I could still stay with you while it’s done?”

Jace turns his head, meeting the gaze that’s been staring at him all along. He can see the way Zye’s eyes search his face for an answer before he gives it. If anything, he wants to tell Zye how much he appreciates his presence in moments like these. It truly does calm him down— helps him find his center.

“You’re always welcome in my room.”

The way Zye wets his lips has Jace’s full attention. It’s not meant to be sensual and yet that’s right where Jace’s mind goes. Never before has he found his eyes daring to linger on everything another person does so frequently. Nor to such an intense degree.

“Jay, did you hear me?”

“Ah, sorry. Can you repeat that?”

“I asked if there was something you wanted to do.”

He has to look away. Jace redirects his gaze to the stars beginning to dot the skyline instead of those lips he wants to kiss. Even in a different world, he searches for the symbols that his mother would point out to him in the sky. Doing so helps center his thoughts. It takes a moment to think before he answers.

“We should see a movie together again.”

At that, Zye chuckles. He rolls over while slipping his hand away from Jace’s. Propping himself up on his elbow, Zye smiles down at him. “Yeah? That sounds like fun.”

“We could have dinner after.”

“And drinks.”

Jace glances up at him with a knowing look. “It’s a little harder for us to get drunk. If only because we run a little hotter. And, well, our bodies absorb it pretty quick.”

“I don’t want to get drunk. If I do then I won’t remember what we do together. Oh, and only the two of us. We can take everyone else next time.”

From the other side, Jace lifts his hand. He reaches over his chest to brush his knuckles across Zye’s cheek. “Then you’ll go on more dates with me?”

“Dummy, of course, I will.”

The knuckles drag back toward Zye’s ear. He cups his hand to the back of Zye’s neck and brings him down closer. Naturally, Zye doesn’t dare retreat. He allows Jace to guide him down into a kiss. One arm drapes over Jace’s chest while the other braces against the ground to keep him from lying atop Jace.

Soft lips touch his and for a brief second, he’s not thinking about anything. Nothing exists except for the two of them at that moment. The way Jace’s tongue flicks out after the kiss to brush across his top lip is all he needs.

Zye is eager to dip down the rest of the way to capture Jace’s mouth in another kiss. The warmth that spreads through his body makes this far too addicting. This time one far more passionate than the previous one. Jace’s lips part and allow Zye’s tongue to slip inside.

The second he does so, he realizes what he’s doing and attempts to pull away. Except the weight on the back of his neck urges him to stay put. As Jace does so, he swirls his tongue against Zye’s in long flicks and curls.

He holds back a moan. The very thing that has him tapping his hand against Jace’s chest. A notion that has Jace letting him go with a smile and a raised brow.

“Something wrong?”

“S-stop a second there,” he stutters with his voice catching a higher octave. Something that he hates when it happens. Swallowing hard, he tries again. “Don’t start something you’ll have to stop.”

“Maybe I don’t want to stop.”

“You’d really be comfortable doing it outside?”

“There’s no one here.”

The confident reply has Zye balking. His widened eyes and parted lips have Jace chuckling softly. The man reaches over with little effort and tugs Zye closer. The latter is happy to allow it to happen for now. Even as he ends up on top of Jace.

It’s playful and cute until he feels Jace’s hand slide into his back pocket. The slight grip on his ass has Zye smirking down at Jace.

“Seriously?”

“You’re not the only one that has needs. The only problem is it’s never just touching with you.”

“Then don’t be so good at it.”

The tongue Zye sticks out at him is immediately devoured by the kiss Jace gives him. One that he leans into and allows Jace’s tongue to push his back into his mouth. It feels too good and eases the anxiety from the forefront of his mind.

Yet at the same time, he knows he can’t go further. No more than a kiss or he won’t want to stop. The hand squeezing his ass isn’t helping either.

Zye pulls away from Jace’s lips. He thinks that to be the easiest way to move things along in a different way. However, Jace proves him wrong by nuzzling his face into the crook of Zye’s neck.

“Come on, Jay. You’re always a tease.”

A warm tongue drags up to Zye’s jaw. The kiss to it follows with a soft chuckle. “Says the real tease. You don’t know what you do.”

The admission comes as a sort of shock. The fact that Jace would come loose at the seams over him isn’t something he believes. Not in the way he’s thinking about at least. That thought certainly has him hot under the collar.

Jace nibbles at the side of his neck before kissing just below his ear. The star earring brushes over Jace’s cheek as he continues. At least until Zye pushes away with his hands planted on either side of Jace’s head.

“You’re the one that says we shouldn’t wear ourselves out.”

“I have, yes.”

Zye begins to stand up. As he does, Jace sits up as well. He curls his fingers around Zye’s ankle. He rubs at it while slowly dragging his hand up to the back of Zye’s knee. It’s a weak point he doesn’t take advantage of often. A light squeeze is all it takes to have Zye shaking his leg away from Jace’s grip.

A swirling portal is what Zye summons to his right. He’s steadily getting better at it. What Jace doesn’t expect is for Zye to smirk down at him.

“If you could beat me to the cabin I’d do whatever you want.”

Zye steps away while Jace is hurrying to his feet. Not that Zye plans to let him win. If he’s a tease then he should live up to that. Sticking out his tongue at Jace, he dashes toward the portal.

The ground tilts ever-so-slightly as he’s yanked backward. A gentle tug that allows Jace to go ahead of him. Except the exit isn’t the cabin. It’s down by the water. Jace teeters there with the toes of his boots kissing the water’s edge.

He turns around in time to see Zye slipping through a different portal. Laughing as he comes out on the other side, Zye nearly trips as he runs into the living room. The next second there’s an arm around his waist and the portal Jace came through dissipating.

Jace brings him close to his chest, smiling wide. “That was cheating, dear.”

“Yeah? Then what’s this?” asks Zye with a grin.

Zye reaches back and slips his hands under Jace’s coat. His fingers squirm up along Jace’s sides. Even over the shirt, he’s able to have Jace breaking out into a laugh. Jace can’t hold it back— he’s far too ticklish for that. Once he’s let go, Zye makes for the couch.

He doesn’t get very far.

Jace’s grip on his wrist halts him. Zye spins around and lets his legs slip out from underneath him. He slowly falls, bracing himself with his other hand, until his back is against the couch.

Kneeling over Zye’s splayed out legs, Jace catches the other wrist. He pins Zye’s arms to the couch with a shake of his head. “Having fun?”

“Maybe. Want your reward, hot stuff?”

“I would. Open your mouth for me?”

The flush across Zye’s cheeks is nothing compared to the fire in his gaze. He does as he’s asked, eager for what Jace is going to give him. The kiss that occurs is one that has him closing his eyes.

It makes him remember that he doesn’t need to breathe. Yet he’s still gasping for air when Jace pulls away before bestowing another deep kiss to him. His fingers curl and uncurl, unable to reach out for the man before him.

By the time Jace is pulling away for real, Zye’s lips are tingling. He wants another one. More and more without end and he knows Jace is aware of it. Especially with the look in those silver eyes.

“I’m fine with a few of those. You’re the winner.”

“Getting to sit beneath you? Yeah, I’d say so too.” Zye quips back while drawing his leg up to where it rubs between Jace’s. “Sure you don’t want anything more?”

Jace leans down, dusting their lips together. Before the words slip out, Zye can swear he hears a subtle growl in the back of Jace’s throat.

“After the fight, we won’t be leaving the bed.”

“D-dammit, Jay,” he mumbles while wiggling in Jace’s hold. One that he’s released from with a smile. “Then can I request a prize?”

“Always.”

Zye wants to ask if Jace is staying for the night. He wouldn’t be surprised if he runs off to do things instead of resting. It’s only due to the insecurity of the next day or so that has him uneasy. The feeling he’s used to. It reminds him of the days when he was a child and the shadowy creatures would stalk after him.

Wanting comfort is normal. Then again, Jace has things to do, he’s sure.

Letting his gaze fall, he quickly lifts it back up with a smile. One that Jace easily sees through despite the calm words that come past it.

“I’d like it if you came with me. If you don’t have anything else planned.”

Jace nods slowly before rising to his feet. He holds out his hand and helps Zye to his. Once they’re both standing, Jace tugs him close. Chest to chest, he keeps his hands on Zye’s waist.

The kiss is soft— gentle— featherlight. It’s beautiful and overwhelming in all the right ways. A sensation that washes through his body and reminds him that this man really does like him.

“I don’t have anywhere to be. Why don’t we both call it a night?” Jace asks while he reaches down, taking one of Zye’s hands in his.

He’s already tugging Zye toward the bedroom before Zye can reply. The mumble of a yes is all he needs. Better yet when they get to the room and strip down. Jace removes his boots and coat while Zye kicks his boots off to the side. The shirt is the last thing he has to remove.

It’s over his head with his arms still in the sleeves when Jace comes up behind him. Warm arms wrap around his torso. Leaning his forehead against Zye’s shoulder, Jace moves one hand down to the scar.

“It doesn’t hurt…right?”

Shaking the shirt down his arms, Zye flings it to the side. Zye reaches up, patting Jace’s hair that’s pushed up by the bandanna. “It’s a little sensitive if you touch it too hard. Otherwise, no. I’m fine, promise.”

When Jace doesn’t move, Zye turns around in the hold. He gives the shorter man a reassuring smile. He moves away and to the bed. Jace, still not satisfied seeing as he can’t get rid of the scar, follows Zye. Together they climb under the sheets.

The second they’re both situated, Zye curls up to Jace’s back. Spooning against him, it’s far easier to fall asleep than Zye will ever admit. Especially when Jace’s hand cups over the ones Zye has against Jace’s stomach.

________________________

Unfortunately, when Zye opens his eyes he’s not greeted by the morning light and a long day ahead. He’s on his back staring up at the star and galaxy-filled sky above him. The water ripples out around him as he begins to sit up with a groan.

Before him stands Hax. The man’s long hair sways as he turns to glance down at Zye. “You’re free to stretch your magic here without consequence. I won’t get in your way either.”

“Actually, I’d rather you tell me more about it. What limits did you have when using it? Can I only have more than one rift if I’m tapping into that other form? If I send someone into a rift but don’t have an exit what happens to them?”

Hax blinks slowly and sighs. “It has been so peaceful until now…”

“You’re stuck in me, remember that because of what you did.”

“You can be rather frustrating,” mumbles Hax before clearing his throat. “I was able to use up to three. You can hold an object in limbo, so to speak, while also rifting a person. However, I’ve never worked out the intricacies of holding a person in that limbo.”

Zye huffs as he rises to his feet. “I find that hard to believe.”

“Why is that?”

“Really? You would have been a scientist in my world. Always chasing answers and it doesn’t matter what the experiment is.”

Hax shakes his head and places his hands on his hips. “Considering sending someone through one of my rifts and holding them there could potentially kill them, it wasn’t a priority. Besides, that’s not how I preferred to use my magic.”

Zye strides over to him and then goes further. He kicks his feet against the water, watching as it ripples but never sprays up. Hax follows Zye with his eyes.

“Ah and remember that your weapon is far more vulnerable than those in Noctis. Their weapons are what you’d call solid manifestations. Yours, however, will vanish or break the second you lose concentration on it. Something that gets easier and more second nature than anything.”

“Aren’t you helpful tonight. Is it because you’re worried?”

“No. What happens is something I can’t help and I shouldn’t let that bother me. Instead, I’ll wait for you to send me off. I was hoping you’d leave me be until then.”

Zye scoffs and spins around. “Like I have any control over when I end up here?”

“You have more control than you’re aware of.”

“Oh, hey, does that mean you want me to send you away the second we’re done?”

“Preferably.”

Zye watches Hax’s face even if he knows he can’t read it. His weakness is not knowing what that expression on Hax’s countenance means. What he does notice is that Hax moves to cross his arms after that answer.

“Well, we’ll see. Hate to break it to you but you aren’t a priority,” starts Zye. “You’ve done some screwy stuff. Just, you know, you’re not Soren levels of death and destruction.”

Hax scoffs at that. “He’s a child. I’d prefer if you didn’t compare me to him.”

“Then don’t act like an idiot.”

“Are you going to preach to me then? Tell me to repent and strive to be better? To, what would they say, follow my heart next time?”

The glare Zye receives is of little threat. In fact, he shrugs his shoulders while moving to stand back beside the shorter man. “Nah. I will tell you that it is pretty here. You did a good job on this at least.”

“Haa…it’s your mind, you fool.”

“Hah! I’m rubbing off on you aren’t I?” Zye nudges Hax with his elbow as he laughs. It’s funny to hear Hax let the edge out of his usual matter-of-fact tone. One that reminds him of Orion far too much sometimes.

Hax sighs heavily, “You should be resting.”

“Technically, I am.”

“You are truly insufferable.”

“Maybe but I’m the only one you got at the moment.”

A hum fills the space between them. Hax glances up at Zye with an inquisitive expression. “We’re certainly not friends. However…would you do me a favor?”

“You can ask, we’ll see if it happens.”

“We both know you’re too nice and will try to do it anyway.” Hax glances away when Zye glares at him. “Anyway, I was wondering if you’d make sure Sigil is taken care of and is happy where she ends up.”

At that, Zye slaps Hax on the back of the shoulder with a curt laugh. “That’s it? Lighten up, of course, I will. Don’t sound so gloomy. You’re about to get what you wanted. Should be happy, right?”

There’s no snippy or off-handed reply. Only silence as Hax turns his gaze to the water his bare feet stand atop. Words he’ll never say aloud filter through him in an effort to find a reply. He is happy his plan has come to fruition. But is he happy?

Hax only wants it to be over. He’s out of control of the situation and that’s left a taste of fear on the back of his tongue. A strange tinge of excitement laces with it. Intrigue for the unknown that’s ahead.

Seeing that he won’t get further conversation out of him, Zye shoves his hands into his pockets. The sleeves of his shirt bunch up around his wrists as he does. Zye shrugs as if to tell himself it’s fine.

“I’ll leave you alone. Just one last thing.” Zye takes a step forward and partly turns back. “Maybe work on forgiving yourself. Don’t be a coward and run. We’ll all figure it out and come to terms in some way together on our own.”

Hax scoffs at that. He shakes his head and closes his eyes. “Perhaps. I hope you don’t think Soren will be this easy to deal with. You can’t talk to him and make him feel terrible like you think you can do with me.”

“So it’s working?”

“I won’t be there this next time, Zye. I helped you with Daichi. I can’t do it again.” Hax lifts his right hand up and for the first time, Zye sees it. Hax isn’t solid. At least, parts of him aren’t. “I can’t use too much energy or there won’t be anything left of me. So don’t think about keeping me around forever.”

Zye stares hard back at him. He had thought about it. What if he didn’t send Hax on right away until all of this was settled? It’s a strange comfort to have someone to lean back on who knows everything about his magic. Rather, more than he does at least. Having to accept that Hax is on a time limit isn’t easy.

It means he’s on a time limit to send this soul on.

“Got it. You don’t have to worry.”

“Ah, and I hope you’re doing better at leaning on others. Work hard like I know you can.”

Laughing, Zye bends at the waist. “You’re a little late to the party, man. I already learned that one. I’ll take notes on your motivation though.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Zye stands up, leaning back with a slight slouch as he gazes at the twinkling stars around them. “Not many people would keep going despite feeling so alone and afraid.”

Hax clicks his tongue, “Are you going to preach about friendship next? I’d rather not hear it.”

“Nah, I don’t have time for that. You’ll have to figure that out. Do yourself a favor and find yourself a Jace or Callua in your next life. Or maybe just someone that won’t let you be stupid on your own.”

Watching Zye turn, giving Hax his back, is harder than Hax thinks it’d be. The taller man is walking away with ripples sent out with each step. Hax swallows hard past a growing lump in his throat.

That’s it. It’ll all be over the next time he sees Zye, he can feel it. The excitement he felt is losing to the uncertainty and fear. It gnaws at his stomach and crawls up his throat, choking him. For the first time in a very long time, it hits him again.

He misses them all; Haru, Charmilla, Celeste, Orion, and most of all Kerse.

Somehow, he pushes past the dry mouth he’s gotten. “Zye?”

Zye stops, his body is growing more transparent by the second. He’s waking up and they don’t have a lot of time.

“If we meet again—”

“Smile, for real, next time. If we do and you need help, just ask me.”

“Hah…right. Then go on. Be the hero that saves the day.”

Zye shakes his head. “Dumbass, that’s not my role. I’m the janitor cleaning up your mess. Just remember, living is one of the hardest things to do. Good luck.”

0