Chapter 68
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jace lands in Noctis to the side of the staircase. The energy dissipates as he begins to walk forward only to realize he has absolutely no idea where he’s going. He gives a subtle shake to the man in his arms, slowly shifting to carry him with one arm behind his back and the other under his knees.

“Where’s your room?”

Orion’s eyes crack open to show he’s listening, trying so hard to stay conscious. “North.”

The reply tells him nothing.

Jace sighs and begins heading straight. The second he doesn’t turn, Orion taps his arm. It’s enough to let him know he’s going the opposite way. He makes for a different hallway. When he receives no other complaints, he picks up speed and runs as fast as he can. The fact that there’s no one here concerns him.

Just how are the others doing? Did Celeste already give them the good news? Or did something bad happen to keep them distracted?

Those thoughts are shoved away. He has to focus. Right now he needs to get in the room and straight to the pool of water. The thuds of his boots echo like thunder through the hall, the room, and into the chamber. He’s glad Orion is conscious enough to have the door opened by his Mark.

There’s no stopping him until he’s at the edge of the water and tossing Orion in. It’s not gentle, but there’s no way he’s letting a drop of it land on him. Jace can wait until get returns to Solis. Besides, he doesn’t have time to ease Orion into the water. Hesitation can mean he’s a second too late.

He watches as Orion sinks into the water. It splashes up onto the sides of the pool, nearly touching the toes of Jace’s boots. The tile becomes slick with water and shines as the lights in the room slowly go from dim to a full bright glow. Jace doesn’t care about anything except watching Orion poke his head up out of the water.

He sputters for a moment. Brushing the wet bangs out of his eyes, he stares at Jace. He’s unsure and confused. Not that he can do much aside from let the water try to heal his wounds and fight back the poison still in his body. Of course, his mouth still works fine.

“Why did you help me?”

Jace crosses his arms over his chest. He won’t lie that it did feel good to toss Orion in, fully clothed. But also to help him more than anything. To maybe try and show him that not everyone is out for their own gains.

“Letting you die doesn’t do anyone any good. Zye would be pretty sad, too.”

“That’s—”

“Stupid? Because no one knows what happens now? Or stupid because you don’t think he’d be upset?”

Jace looks up at the moonlight streaming down from the ceiling. It’s beautiful, to say the least. Orion clams up, not caring to answer the questions.

“Wouldn’t Haru be sad if you were to die at this point? Just because I don’t like how you did things doesn’t mean you weren’t trying, right? People here would miss you. You should lean on others some…Haa…shit…”

Jace clutches at his shirt, just over where his heart should be. His vision is starting to swim and the heat that’s beginning to swarm his body is something he has never felt. Even when he started as a Keeper it didn’t feel like this. His own flames are but icicles in comparison.

“What’s wrong?”

Orion swims closer, paddling his way over as his body tries to ignore his wishes. It just wants to float and heal. But something isn’t right and he’s worried.

The feeling goes from Jace’s head to his toes. It scorches along his arms, back, and chest. Everything is on fire. The agony is an inferno that bellows in his ears, dulling all other sounds.

It eats away at his stamina. He quickly loses the ability to stand. His knees buckle and all he can do is brace his hands against the floor so he doesn’t fall into the water head-first.

“Don’t do this. Talk to me. Tell me what’s happening.” Orion sucks in a nervous breath. Something he doesn’t realize he’s doing. “Someone should be on their way.”

Orion grabs at the edge of the pool next to Jace. He needs to get out and help, to try and figure this out. The thought of someone else dying? It has him frustrated that his arms won’t respond to his demands. He can’t lift himself out of the water and the steps aren’t going to get him up and out fast enough.

“Haa…Hot…It’s so hot.”

Eyes flick quickly over Jace’s form in an attempt to find a wound. There has to be a reason for this. He knows Jace has domain over fire, yet this is out of the ordinary. He has no idea what to do.

“Does it hurt? Where is it the hottest?”

Everywhere.”

Jace can’t even manage being on his knees. His fingers are tingling. The rest of his body feels as though it’s going numb. Even his ears are ringing— why is the ringing so loud? Hearing what Orion is saying is getting harder to do. He can barely sort through the white noise to piece the words together.

If anything, the tile is cool. His cheek presses against it as he ends up flat on his stomach. One hand reaches forward, fingers trying to grasp at the lip of the pool. There’s a desperate need to hold onto something— anything— to steady himself.

Orion grabs for that hand.

The chill of his hands and the cool touch of the water are freezing to Jace. Yet he can’t jerk his hand away. He can’t so much as flinch. At the same time, it feels good. It soothes the burning and gives him something to focus on.

Prone on the ground, he doesn’t see what’s happening to his arm or the hand that Orion is holding onto.

Orion does.

He watches as the symbols seemingly burn into Jace’s skin. He can only assume the same is happening to his back.

“Lay still. You are going to be fine. It should be over soon.”

Not that he knows for sure. For Orion, he was already a Celestial. There was no adapting needed. No reason for a once-human soul to adjust to this new level of power surging through him.

The marks steadily lighten up away from the deep black and reddened skin they began as. The thick scorch marks across his skin are becoming the tell-tale markings of an Infernal from his shoulder down to the back of his hand. Little by little, he can only assume the fire inside of Jace is dying down.

Except it’s leaving him even weaker the longer it goes on. Jace grits his teeth, unable to believe the amount of pain he’s in. Not even Kerse’s poison felt this horrible. It’s as though every ounce of energy is being sapped out of him.

The ringing is beginning to stop. It’s down to a comfortable hum that dares to lull him to sleep. It almost does until the sound of footsteps coming toward them has Orion tugging roughly on his hand.

“Come on, they’re here. You can get up, yes?”

“Nngh…” is all that comes out.

His tongue is as heavy as lead in his mouth. Nothing he wants to do is going to happen. He’d love to stand back up— to not be this vulnerable in front of someone he can’t even call a friend yet.

“What— Jace!” Zye skids into the room, dropping to one knee at Jace’s side. His eyes immediately sweep to Orion who seems to be doing much better. “What’s going on?”

Jace looks up at Zye from the corner of his eyes. He wants to tell Zye he’s okay, he’ll be fine he’s sure. Except he can’t. Blinking is hard enough. It’s too tempting to doze off as it is.

“I’m not sure why. It started happening suddenly. He’s an Infernal now.” Orion taps his fingers on Jace’s arm, drawing Zye’s attention to it. “What happened with Kerse?”

Orion doesn’t want to say; if he manages to get through this part. The higher powers that be wouldn’t have given it to him if he couldn’t. Still, there’s always a chance it doesn’t work. He brings his hands back into the water, enjoying the cool feeling more than the scalding skin he had been touching.

“She lost her markings. I guess…that explains this?”

“Hmm…I see. I can’t go with you but you need to get him back to Solis as soon as he can walk.”

“No. I’m going now.”

“Do you even know how to open the way?”

“You all taught me plenty, trust I can do it instead. Besides, he needs to so I’ll make it happen. I did it once, I’ll do it again.”

Orion simply stands there in the water and watches. For a moment he gets to see it; the gentleness, the love, and the desire to protect a life. Something he used to hold so close to his chest as well.

Zye lifts Jace up. It’s a slow task of getting Jace back up onto his knees and then to his feet. Zye lets his height balance out the semi-dead weight. It doesn’t help that he’s still sopping wet and his clothes are making it hard to move.

He holds around Jace’s waist while throwing the brunet’s arm over his shoulder, grasping onto it once he can.

“Take it slow. Lean on me, okay?”

The only way he can respond is by doing just that. Step by step, Zye is ushering them to turn around. It’s the hardest part. To the point where he waits a moment once they’ve accomplished this much. Speaking to Orion without looking at him is much easier anyway.

“I’m glad you’re fine. I’ll let Celeste know you’re in here healing.”

“Zye…I’ll see you later.”

He doesn’t respond. He’s got bigger fish to fry and that’s getting Jace out of the room. Especially when he’s still not sure he can call a portal at a whim to that room. Not that he has a choice. It’s not about can he. He has to.

The only issue is as he’s opening the portal, Aster is bursting through the room and into the area they’re in. Zye heaves a sigh as the portal doesn’t manage to open. It evaporates right before his eyes.

He groans back at Orion, “Could have warned me he was coming.”

“I trusted you’d be gone by then.”

Aster glances between the three of them. “What in the world happened?”

Zye huffs. “Nothing. Jace is an Infernal. Orion is healing. And I’m going back to Solis so take care of this idiot. Thanks.”

“Are you sure you don’t need help?”

“Yeah. Take care of the other dumb man for me.”

Zye stares at the floor in front of them. Glaring at it as if it could catch fire from the intensity of his gaze. He doesn’t have time for failure. He needs it now— a stupid portal coiling to life with the colors of a sunrise.

Slowly, it begins to spring up from the floor until it’s fully formed before him. There’s no time to be proud of himself. Not when he has a big lug to amble through the portal with.

A few steps later and he’s back in the room with Celeste, Kerse, and Callua. None of them say a word. There’s a tense silence as Zye pinches an eye shut and drags Jace a little closer.

Taking a deep breath, Zye jostles Jace. “Hey, can ya walk in?”

No answer.

“Jay?”

Zye groans. “Just my luck. Well…not like I don’t need to go back in.”

Closer and closer till he’s at the edge of the water. He takes a quick glance to make sure that he’ll clear it. The last thing he needs is to knock either of them against the hard surface. That and checking to make sure Kerse is out of the way with Celeste sitting on the edge near her.

He takes a deep breath despite knowing he doesn’t need it. Either way, it helps push him past the hurdle of dropping them both over the side and into the water.

The splash that showers up soaks the edges to the point Callua scurries away. Not that Zye can do anything about it. He’s far too busy getting his head back above the water and bringing Jace with him. Thankfully the buoyancy makes this easier. He leans Jace onto him, his head resting against Zye’s shoulder.

Celeste, not caring that the water socked their shorts, tilts their head slightly. “What happened?”

“I think I found where Kerse’s markings went. He’s got ‘em and it knocked the shit out of him.”

Kerse pouts at that, a bit frustrated. “Seriously? That’s not fair!”

Zye rolls his eyes. “I don’t have time for it either way. Orion is fine and Aster’s with him.”

Callua slowly makes her way around the edge until she’s kneeling on the tile behind Zye. He floats over, leaning against it. She smiles softly and reaches out for Jace.

“Jay, say something. At least tell me I can stop worrying.”

Fingers reach up, grasping onto the front of Zye’s shirt. His voice is so quiet and hoarse as if he’d been screaming. “F…ine…”

“Idiot. That was close.” Zye leans his head against Jace’s. “Whatever, I’m just glad you’re okay.”

The grip tightens into the material, tugging at it as if to get Zye’s attention. If anything, it works.

“Haah…what am I going to do with you?”

Zye begins to move, at a crawl, toward the stairs that jut out from one side. The rounded steps are a blessing for Zye. He sits on a higher step to where the water doesn’t cover it. It lets Jace rest between his legs. He folds against a lower step with his head on Zye’s thigh, arms wrapped around Zye’s waist.

Weirdly, that he’s both warm and cold. It’s chilly to be out of the water. Yet the room is still warm enough to keep him from being uncomfortable. Of course, it helps that he has Jace and he’s fine— he’s alive and that’s all he needs right now. The missing piece since Callua is already safe.

“When you can, tell me how you’re feeling. Orion mentioned you were becoming an Infernal.”

Jace still doesn’t reply. Then again, Zye’s perfectly aware of the way he’s still trembling. One hand pats Jace’s head while the other is tracing fingers over the symbols on Jace’s arm. They look just like Zye’s, allowing him to assume what this means without further concern over them.

They have nothing to worry about now…right?

Zye’s attention snaps back into focus when Jace nuzzles his face against his side. Heaving a sigh, Zye tussles his hand through Jace’s tresses. He doesn’t dare say a word. It’s better to distract himself from how cute Jace is being.

“How are you feeling, Keke?”

“Don’t call me that.”

“Eh? A little late for that. I guess we’ll have to talk later.”

“About what?”

From Zye’s lap, is Jace’s muffled voice. “Hax…you should talk to him.”

The soft, exhausted tone has Zye tightening his grip a bit more. He keeps a close eye on Jace as the man begins to sit up. There’s nothing save for a grimace. Even that alarms Zye. He’s worried Jace is trying to tank whatever it is. It’d be just like him to do so.

Jace lifts his arm. His eyes trace along the pattern; stunned, shocked, unsure. The well of emotions is deep. So enraptured with the fact that he’s been granted this power, he doesn’t notice the concerned expression Zye wears.

Zye grabs for Jace’s wrist. His fingers circle it with the utmost gentleness, handling him as if he’ll shatter. “Are you okay?”

The gaze is so strong, so prying. Jace chuckles, hoping to shake the intensity from the situation. “I’m fine, truly. A little…wetter than I’d care to be.”

“That’s your fault. I didn’t know what else to do.”

Celeste is grinning from ear to ear. “Love is awfully pretty, isn’t it, Kerse?”

Kerse huffs and turns her back to them all, wading over to the edge. She folds her arms over it and lays her head on them. Meanwhile, Callua is standing and brushing her hands over her skirt.

“More like they’re annoying. How gross,” she teases.

Zye can’t bother with being embarrassed. He’s too happy that it worked out and they’re all okay. More than anything, he still has Jace and Callua. No choosing if something went wrong. Nothing bad. Even Kerse is still here.

Leaning back, he looks up at Callua as she passes by him. “Hey, Cal. I, uh, don’t know how to work this yet. Mind getting us some stuff?”

Celeste stands and opens a portal. “Don’t worry. I’ll go get you towels and robes— anything I can think of until Jace feels like he can move. Callua, would you like to help me?”

She glances between her two friends and Kerse. Something Jace notices. He shakes his head.

“It’ll be fine. Go.”

They step through a portal that Celeste calls forth. As they do, Zye is more than happy with the silence that settles in. It’s not entirely uncomfortable or unwanted. Certainly not when he has Jace clinging to him.

So he thinks.

Jace sits up a bit straighter on the lower step he resides on. All so he can grab the front of Zye’s shirt. He tugs Zye down and places his other hand on the side of Zye’s face. Staring into those silver eyes, Zye can’t tell him no.

It’s fine. No one else is here but Kerse and she’s not looking.

The soft brush of Jace’s lips over his has Zye wanting more. It’s not enough. The fleeting touch is sweet and addicting, a feeling he craves.

He knows he can’t. As much as he enjoys the way Jace’s fingers rub over his cheek, he can’t stay sitting. He cups his hands to Jace’s and gently eases them away. All so he can stand up as the message comes through from Callua.

Open up, please.”

Zye flashes Jace a smile. “Gotta let them back in, be right back.”

Jace forces himself not to watch Zye leave. Instead, he levels his gaze at Kerse’s back. “How are you actually feeling?”

“Irritated,” comes the muffled reply.

“That’s—”

“And proud. You did well.”

He stares a bit harder than he intends to. A compliment— an admission like that is not what he expected. Never before has Kerse applauded his efforts. Jace isn’t sure what to say in return.

Kerse doesn’t mind or care. She heaves herself up over the edge and stands. Water drips to the floor as she begins to walk around the side. Her fingers are already working on the buttons of her shirt.

“Kerse, I—” he tries to begin.

“Did what you had to do. Don’t make it complicated. You did something even Charm couldn’t, regardless of if you did it alone. Take the compliment. I won’t be saying it again.”

“Thank you.”

“Good luck. That shit is heavy.”

“What is?”

Kerse finishes tugging the last button out of its hole. It allows the shirt to hang loose on her shoulders without showing anything other than a glimpse down the middle of her body. Once she has, she gestures to his arm. The one with the strange markings stained into his skin.

He understands what she means. There’s a lot that comes with this power. Responsibility that he never dreamed of having. It’s a fact that has his stomach curling inside of him. The last time he had such a level of it…he failed.

And he can’t this time.

Interrupting his thoughts is Callua as she shoulders through the curtains. “We got a bunch of— Kerse!”

The second she’s before Kerse, she drops everything she’s carrying save for one towel. Holding it up, she unfurls it in front of Kerse to give her privacy.

“What are you doing? He’s right there!”

“And?”

“And you were about to take that off. Are you crazy? Do you have no decency?”

“It’s just a body. He has no attraction to me either, so what’s the problem?”

“I...just undress and grab one of the robes at my feet while I hold this.”

“Whatever.”

Kerse does as she’s told while Celeste returns. They smile sweetly over at the scene. “Callua has yours as well, Jace. I’m going to head back and check on Orion. Please let me know if you all need anything at all.”

“We should be fine once I can make it to my room. Thank you for everything.”

“Of course. Thank you all as well. And do let us know when he’s ready to learn about the mirror.”

The layers to their words don’t go unnoticed by Jace. He knows what they mean. When is Zye going to deal with Hax? He’s not daring enough to ask at the moment and certainly not when Kerse is in the room.

“I’ll assume it’ll be a day or so.”

“Understandable,” they reply while lacing their fingers together behind their back. A slight wobble from side to side is how they move while summoning another portal.

That is until Jace stops them. “Celeste? Let them all know they’re welcome to come see him. I know Xerxes will be worried and we’ll be busy with Kerse.”

There’s a snort from behind the towel as Kerse bends down, scooping up one of the two robes. Meanwhile, Celeste gives a nod and a wave before slipping through the portal back to Noctis. They have plenty to take care of. Seeing as everyone here is fine, it’s better that they do.

Kerse grabs the towel and tugs it out of Callua’s hands. Yanking it away, she throws it over her shoulder. The robe is tied at the waist yet done so shoddily that it’s left open ever-so-slightly.

“The hell? I’m fine. I’ll get out of your hair soon.”

The curtains shift as Zye steps back into the room. His own robe held tight with the extra length of the tie stuffed into one of the front pockets. The very things his hands are in.

“Nuh-uh. You’re not going anywhere until I know you’re not a problem to yourself.”

“The hell is it to you?”

“This is Hax’s room still. Stay in here and recover.”

“I don’t—”

“Please?”

Kerse stares long and hard at Zye. She hates that word so much. She exhales from her nose and tries to find a way to ground herself. This is all too much and too fast.

“Then hurry and get out.”

“Do you have a list of things we can bring you back?”

“No. Get out.”

Zye shifts his weight from the left to the right foot and huffs. “Come on. If you don’t, I’ll bring you back whatever I want. Doesn’t look like there’s a Mark around here anyway.”

Jace sits up, moving to the top step so that he can wring some water out of his clothes. “It’s more than likely because they’re made from their own. Hax is technically around and this isn’t your room.”

“Annoying…Okay, everyone out so he can get changed. Come on, move your asses.”

Callua and Kerse move past Zye with him leaving last. They’re barely halfway through the room when they get into it. Callua sweeps her arm toward Kerse with her other hand balanced on her hip.

“Are you sure we should even leave her alone?”

Kerse spins around with clenched fists and her ruby eyes settle into a glare. “I’m right here, tits, don’t talk about me like I’m not.”

Tits? You stupid bear!”

“At least I can hold my own.”

“I can too! Or did you not see me while you were getting your ass beat?”

The glare steadily dissipates with a grin replacing it. “I like her.” She glances at Zye next and the bewildered expression on his face. “Fine. Pants and a shirt are fine. I’ll stay in here and sleep. Where else am I going to go? My little piss ant room I have now?”

Callua huffs at that. “They’re a lot nicer than you think. Sure there’s a size limit but they’re fine.”

Zye drags a hand over his face and walks past them. “Both of you stop. I’m getting a headache. Cal, let’s go. Keke, don’t be weird. I’ll be back before you know it.”

“What about Jace?” asks Callua as she jogs to catch up with Zye.

“Jay, please hurry! I’d really like pants!”

The shout he’s not even sure if Jace catches. Not that it matters. He’s making for the door with Callua behind him. It shuts right as Jace is pushing past the curtains. He eyes the way Kerse moves to the bed. Her hand brushes along the edge, catching the sheets in a gentle grip before smoothing it back out.

“Are you sure you’re okay to be alone? One of us can stay with you if you’d like.”

Kerse shakes her head. The white and black tresses shift about her shoulders as she does. “I’m the only one left. I should be.”

Jace nods and bows his head. As much as he doesn’t want to leave her to wallow on her own, he also knows she’s grieving. For the first time, without being overcome with her own emotions that blackened her soul, she’s able to think, feel, and work through it.

Going out to join Callua and Zye, he gently shuts the door. All while smiling at the way they wait for him. He wills for it to open and it does, his Mark standing to the side to allow them entry.

Callua hurries in first and makes for the bed. She lets out a long exhale, sits, and flops back onto the soft mattress. Zye hesitates until Jace is closer. Only then do they both enter with the Mark shutting the door behind them.

The Mark moves toward the cleansing pool that’s sectioned off. As it does, Jace ushers Zye to follow it and go first. It leaves Jace alone with Callua and the stern look he gives her.

“Do you have any plans, Cal? I hope rest is one of them.”

“I will. I promise.”

Jace sighs. It’s hard to admonish someone when he’s capable of doing the same thing and does. “You’re leaving again, aren’t you?”

“I won’t be gone long. I’m going to check with Gray on a few things.”

“Will you be coming back here?”

Callua pushes herself back up, sitting there with her hands holding onto the edge of the bed. “Jay, come on. Enjoy your time with your boyfriend for once. We’ve been running around like our heels are on fire. Breathe and relax for once.”

The draperies are knocked aside as Zye practically barrels back into the room. The gray tank top is askew on his body. Not to mention it’s left rolled around his ribs and not brought down to the waistband of purple sweatpants.

He’s struggling to pull his shirt on as he glares at her. “You’d better come right back.”

Callua stands as if it helps her to stand up to those words. One hand on her hip, she shrugs her shoulders. “You don’t boss me around.”

“I mean…I kind of do now?” Happy that the shirt fits how it should, finally, Zye moves closer to her. “I know it’s weird, but we made it. We should celebrate. I’ll even play that stupid card game. Please?”

The way he honestly tells her what he wants— asks her to do something for him. He needs her and it has her flushing. It feels good to know. More than she’ll ever admit aloud.

“Okay, sure. I guess I could let everything else wait.”

Zye plops onto the bed and tugs her back down onto it. “You don’t even have to leave! Tell whoever that is that we’ll pick up first thing tomorrow as long as they don’t need you right now.”

Callua glances at Jace who shakes his head.

“I’m siding with Zye on this one.”

“I hate you both. Jay, go get dressed and then send the Mark to me and I’ll get cards from it.”

Pleased with being able to spend time with them both, Jace gracefully turns and moves for the curtains. “I’d be happy to. No bets tonight. I don’t want to owe you any more favors because I can’t beat you at that weird game.

________________________

While the ceiling was the last thing Zye saw before he closed his eyes, it’s not what he sees when he opens them. The glimmering galaxies above are a welcomed sight. Part of him wonders if he’ll ever see this again once Hax is gone. It’s weird enough as it is that he’s found this space inside of himself.

Zye glances all around. It takes a moment to spot Hax sitting on the ground some distance away. His legs are crossed while he leans back on his palms, staring up at the sky he’s granted here. Zye moves to stand next to him.

“Hey, jerk. How’s it going?”

Hax ignores the lighthearted poke. He doesn’t need this pitiful attempt at friendship. There’s no time for this.

“How is she?”

“Honestly? Probably a bit overwhelmed. Mostly sad. I mean she doesn’t have Charm. Or you.”

“The others are still there. She has Celeste and Orion.”

Zye shoves his hands into his pockets. He glances down at Hax despite not being able to see past the veil of bangs. “But they’re not who she wants and you know it.”

Hax stands. Zye catches the tail end of a sigh before the man strides forward. Anything to get away from Zye. Not that it deters Zye, he’s quick to follow after. There’s nowhere to go. Only an endless stretch in every direction.

“Since I know you helped me with Daichi, can you always see what I see?”

“I can see or hear, yes. Sometimes feel if I try hard enough.”

“So—”

“That was the only time I crossed that line. Jace doesn’t deserve to have me interfering in his life further. I’ve meddled enough, wouldn’t you agree?”

“Seriously?”

“Yes, seriously. Besides, if I had told you, you would have been guarded and acted differently around him. I kept to myself.”

“Thanks…for that, I guess.”

Hax slows his pace and allows Zye to walk beside him instead. “I have ruined or changed the course of many lives. Including Jace and your own. Consider it a weak attempt at doing the right thing. At least, in your eyes, it would be.”

“Is that so?”

While conversation isn’t usually one of his favorite activities to partake in. He’s more than happy to keep Hax talking. Anything to learn a little bit more about someone who did so much— someone who won’t be around much longer.

“Charm always prided herself on doing the right thing. That we should do the same. She’s not here, so I’ll do it for the both of us. Which is why you need to touch the mirror when you wake up.”

Zye huffs at that. It always circles back to what he needs to do. “If I do, you’re gone. I’ll get to it when I get to it. Shouldn’t you be asking me to try and find another solution instead?”

At that, Hax turns on his heel. His back faces Zye once more. Zye is well aware it means that Hax is done. He’s putting the walls back up so that no one can deter him. The sorrowful tone of voice seals the deal.

“I’m tired.”

“Tired of what?”

“Fighting for what I thought I wanted. I gave up everything for it, let me have it already.”

“Fine. It’s all yours.”

Hax glances over his shoulder. An act that surprises Zye. “Would it be alright if I ask a favor?” When Zye nods, Hax continues. “Speak to her before you do so that I can listen in. I want to see her one last time.”

Zye shrugs. “You can eavesdrop whenever you want, man. I’m too nervous you’re going to peek now to do anything.”

He laughs as he turns around. The slight trill of a chuckle reaches Zye’s ears at the same time as Hax’s hand on his chest.

“Thank you for taking my role.”

“You didn’t give me a choice.”

“And for not trying to kill me even in here.”

“Wouldn’t do me any good or prove anything.”

Hax shakes his head. “You’re truly a danger to yourself with that thinking.”

“Maybe, but whatever is coming for you next is what can kick your ass. Why should I do it when it will.” Zye sighs. “I’ll do it if you quit acting like a villain and say please.”

Removing his hand, Hax backs away from Zye. He puts enough space between them that he can bow at the waist. Doing so causes his hair to fall forward over his shoulder with his hands held to his sides.

“Please.”

“S-shit…didn’t think you’d really…I’ll let you know, just keep an ear out.”

“Good luck,” he replies while straightening up. “Do what’s right and what you want, but don’t lose yourself like we did.”

Zye can feel Hax starting to pull away mentally. This is it. The last time he’ll ever have a conversation with this man. A man who’s been in and out of his life for so long. Regardless of what Hax has done, there’s a melancholy that settles in Zye’s chest.

He watches as everything begins to ripple and fade. The colors become a muted mess of grays and blinding whites. Gone are the beautiful galaxies.

It reminds him of the horror stories of people being possessed. Still, it doesn’t matter. He allows Hax’s soul to pull away and rest. They both have a long day ahead of them, after all. Before Hax vanishes completely, Zye whispers out to him.

“Good night.”

0